Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2004, 13:21   #1

All,

I am planning to buy a new car for the last few weeks. I am finding it tough to decide between Corolla and Octavia. Both seem to be good value for money and are having good market reports. Help will be appreciated.

Also, I have heard that Skoda is going to launch another Octavia model called Octavia Rider in a few weeks. This is not the new Octavia (that is scheduled for but the old Octavia but with some new features I assume. Any one knows about this?

- Anku
Old 20th May 2004, 13:29   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (anku_jain @ May 20 2004,11:51)]Also, I have heard that Skoda is going to launch another Octavia model called Octavia Rider in a few weeks. This is not the new Octavia (that is scheduled for but the old Octavia but with some new features I assume. Any one knows about this?

- Anku
It will have a 150bhp turbo. I would prefer to go for the L&K diesel 110bhp and loads of torque. More relevant in an indian context. Corolla ok but not as solid - good town car
Old 20th May 2004, 13:30   #3
Team-BHP Support

octavia is rock solid on build..performance ok.. recently drove a frinds new petrol octavia pretty composed at high speed even on broken stretches..
Old 20th May 2004, 13:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

umm... off topic but welcome home!
Old 20th May 2004, 13:46   #5

the OCTAVIA is better when compared to corolla. OCTAVIA has the solid skoda build, massive power and stunning looks. the corolla is actually not so good as a car, its the world's most famous taxi. why purchase a taxi when you can buy a better car. and even the octavia has better mileage. everythings great in octavia. i think it would be better to buy an OCTAVIA. or if you are totally against octavia then go try the CHEVY OPTRA 1.8 which is also better than corolla
Old 20th May 2004, 13:55   #6

Hi Aloking.

Thanks for your feedback. I agree with you and I am most probably going to go for an Octavia (excellent looks, safety and mileage). The factors that I am still struggling with are:

- Are the Octavia spare parts too expensive as compared to lets say Corolla or Optra? I am ok even if they are 25% more expensive. But they should not be double the cost for example.

- Maintenance costs for regular servicing: I am told that Octavia is very expensive. One Corolla vendor told me (I do not know if that should be believed) that for first 50000 km, Corolla will cost only Rs. 11000/- for regular servicing while Octavia will cost Rs. 45000/-.

- The resale value. I am planning to keep the car for over 5 years. So, I am not sure if this should be considered as an important factor. If after 5-6 years, the depreciation of Octavia is more than Corolla within a limit of Rs. 50000/-, I am ok.

thanks,

Anku
Old 20th May 2004, 15:34   #7
Team-BHP Support

Hi Anku,

Well firstly, both are great cars, they just suit slightly different tastes.
As per the specifics on the skoda maintainance/spare parts & resale value, why dont you PM Rtech to get his attention to this post as the currently owns a Octavia 1.9TDI and might be able to give you more specific info.

Are you considering the deisel octavia at all?

Personally, i would choose the octavia, the only disadvantage i see is the lack of rear legroom.

cya
R
Old 20th May 2004, 16:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

The Octavia is surely a better car than the Corolla. the Corolla IMO is completely mismatched, it's got the power and acceleration but doesn't have the braking power, safety featuers or the handling to match.

It's got pretty elegant interiors but doesn't have the ride quality or the sound proofing to match.

The Octavia is my choice.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 20th May 2004, 16:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey pal

It all depends on what you look for in a car. The Octavia 1.9 TDi is an excellent car to buy. Its built like a tank well equipped nice car to drive and gives killer mileage. ( Check rtechs post on his trip to Pune in his Octavia). I have driven the petrol Octavia and its nice to drive though the diesel makes more sense. Back seat of the Octavia however is pretty uncomfortable and spares taking some time to aquire. The Corolla is not a bad car at all, infact its a nice car... japanese reliability need I say more. Its pretty fuel efficient good to drive and it has a very well built up reputation all over. Corollas are built to last. The down side is the cost and the Corolla feels built to a price. Lastly the Optra. Looks good pretty smooth and one of the best value for money cars in this segment in the market today. On the flip side, the Optra is not exactly a guzzler but yes its not very fuel efficient either . The Holden engine is just an average performer and nothing to write home about.. So if its performance youre looking for the Corollas better. Interiors of the Optra are top class fit and finish is excellent and the seats are good too.

So theres the three cars for you. Take your pic

Old 20th May 2004, 16:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Dear Anku

I seriously doubt if an Octavia costs Rs. 45000 for a 50k km service. It'd put it straight into the Merc 124 league which costs 50k for a 50000 km service. Seriously if your considerations are good ride and handling, decent performance, rugged build quality and fairly good average, the Octavia is for you. Having sampled Octavia Tdi at nearly 190 kph on the odo on the expressway and 120-140 kmph on the Corolla, the Octavia felt reassuringly safe and composed at those speeds, while the Corolla was pitching and bouncing a fair bit.

Also look into the Optra 1.8. Especially if u are to be chauffered around or have a parents above 50. The car's higher seating and ingress as well as comfortable lumbar support beat the Corolla.

And as Rehaan put it, the only part that the Octavia really lacks is good rear-seat space. Frankly i don't see you going wrong with the Octavia. But do verify maintenance facts before purchasing it.

Happy purchasing
Revv
Old 20th May 2004, 17:45   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Alright,

I am going to go against the tide out here, But I would opt for the Corolla. If you are looking at a petrol powered machine, the Corolla wins hands down. If its got to be diesel, then theres no choice but to go for the Octavia (unless you are willing to consider a certain Korean Elantra).

The Corolla is a Toyota and it is built to last! 5 years down the lane, it is still going to feel like brand new...and 20 years later it will still start at the first try. Japanese cars, especially their engines, age incredibly slow. Its amazing to drive, and has the performance on tap to even exceed a Vtec. I have driven a friends Corolla with upgraded rubber and trust me, all that nervousness at high speeds was history in this example. It stuck to its line well and the handling was nothing short of excellent. I truly enjoyed driving this car - Driver appeal for me is right up there when buying a car.

The Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi was great when launched...but is now beyond its sell-by-date. For starters, it is still using age-old regular direct Injection technology, while car makers like Hyundai have moved on to the more contemporary CRDi (Common Rail Direct Injection) technology. Its only going to be a matter of time before every diesel on Indian roads is a CDRi, Mahindras and Tatas included. Indirect Injection is out just like carburetors are for petrol engines! Also the Skoda is actually a VW in disguise, and VW's arent exactly high up there on the quality ladder. Lastly, if you pay 11 lacs for a car, the least you expect is acceptable levels of comfort, and the Octavia rear seat is not! I had a stint in the rear on a trip to Lonavla and could not wait to step out after that experience. The front seats are great, but the rear set-up is horrible.

Get a black/white Corolla...upgrade the alloys/rubber and add some TRD skirts. You will have one of the most desirable and fastest Indian machines on Team-BHP!

GTO
Old 20th May 2004, 21:35   #12
BHPian

Get the Corolla if you are a very practical person. Otherwise, get the Skoda.
Old 24th May 2004, 19:09   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ajmat @ May 20 2004,11:59)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (anku_jain @ May 20 2004,11:51)]Also, I have heard that Skoda is going to launch another Octavia model called Octavia Rider in a few weeks. This is not the new Octavia (that is scheduled for but the old Octavia but with some new features I assume. Any one knows about this?

- Anku
It will have a 150bhp turbo. I would prefer to go for the L&K diesel 110bhp and loads of torque. More relevant in an indian context. Corolla ok but not as solid - good town car
why do you prefer the older TDi even if it is L&K over the newer 1.8l turbo petrol?

I'd like to know because I held back from buying a L&K TDi because I felt it was a tad underpowered.

will the interiors of the 1.8L turbo petrol be similarly equipped as say the corolla E. The Skoda Elegance was poorly equipped. The L&K I did not see in person but i hear is very good. neither dealer i went to (Prabhadevi and Juhu) had the L&K to see.

vote: Skoda Tdi L&K or Skoda 1.8L Turbo Petrol?
Old 24th May 2004, 19:42   #14
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm....Octavia or Corolla. How come i didn't see this topic earlier! I had exactly the same decisions when we had to get a new car for the family. I Looked at the Corolla, Optra, Octavia and Forester. I know, wide price range, but I wanted to compare them all. Since we are talking about the Octi and the Corolla, I'll restrict myself to those 2.

Basically, it all comes down to what you plan on doing with the car and how long you plan on keeping it. With the Octi., I presume you are thinking of the 1.9TDi, coz the petrol engined Octi doesn't stand up against the Corolla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]the Skoda is actually a VW in disguise, and VW's arent exactly high up there on the quality ladder.
I beg to differ GTO. While JD power surveys indicate problems experienced by owners, and I totally agree that the Jap's beat everyone here. BUT, when it comes to BUILD qulaity, and by this I mean the materials used, the interiors, the buttons and the control stalks, the Jap's don't stand a chance. Step into a Corolla and an Octavia and see.

For us, the Octavia was the choice because we wanted a SOLID car that would last for about 10 years! Sorry, but the Toyota won't. I'm not talking engines here, as I have no doubt the Corolla VVti will keep running for a long time. My main concern was the body rigidity, and this is something that a Skoda has in huge quantities. For example, look at older Honda City's and Hyundai's and most of them have ripples in the body. Then look at an Astra of the same age or even older, and you will understand what I am talking about. When I sold my 8 year old astra, the interiors still looked like new and the body didn't have a dimple on it. No squeeks from the dash, no chassis movements nothing! This is something only the Germans/Europeans can do. Sure, I had some mechanical problems with the Astra, but that's easy to fix, while if your chassis gets loose, there's nothing you can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]it is still using age-old regular direct Injection technology, while car makers like Hyundai have moved on to the more contemporary CRDi (Common Rail Direct Injection) technology.
Then there is the amazing 1.9TDi engine. Forget your CRDi's and the lot. Yes, they are newer and probably a little more efficient than the direct injection of the Octi., but the 1.9TDi is the world's largest selling diesel engine in its class. It is as tough as they get, and runs great on our crappy diesel. Low sulphur diesel?? the Octi don't need none! Just drive one and you will come away impressed. I know I did, and I was a staunch diesel hater before! Horsepower alone don't count for jack. The Octavia will outhandle the Corolla hands down! And any ground lost on the straights will be made up on the turns. (thats more fun anyway!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Lastly, if you pay 11 lacs for a car, the least you expect is acceptable levels of comfort, and the Octavia rear seat is not! I had a stint in the rear on a trip to Lonavla and could not wait to step out after that experience. The front seats are great, but the rear set-up is horrible.
I agree, the rear seats are not the best out there, and that is probably the weakest link in the Octavia's armour. If you sit in the backseat and have a driver most of the time, forget the Octavia. then save your money and get a 1.6 Optra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] Maintenance costs for regular servicing: I am told that Octavia is very expensive. One Corolla vendor told me (I do not know if that should be believed) that for first 50000 km, Corolla will cost only Rs. 11000/- for regular servicing while Octavia will cost Rs. 45000/-.
I don't know where this came from! AAhh...a Toyota salesman! Surprise surpsise!! 1st service for Octi- 7,500Km@Rs.5000/- and the rest are all proportional to that figure. The LAST person to believe is a car salesman!

So it all comes down to what you want:
If you want a...
petrol car - Corolla
Diesel - Octavia (duh!)
Backseat only - Corolla
Features - Skoda L&K (parking sensor, sunroof, smell that leather!)
Running costs - Skoda
Ride comfort - Skoda
Build quality - Skoda
Resale - Currently both are the same, however that could change if the new Octi. is launched next december.

Down to you now Anku. Whatever you choose though, you'll be happy with it! Just list out your priorities and maketh your choice.

peace.
rtech

Old 24th May 2004, 21:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Very well put rtech. I tend to quite as much agree with you on the Octi. The Corolla is a good car, no doubt that it is the largest selling car in the world at 40 million since its inception. However its Japanese, and like most Japanese cars it suffers from the same problem... they dont feel rigid enough.

The requirements of most people in terms of performance are different. Some want an engine, others want a well handling package. Sure if u looking for a brilliant engine especially petrol, the corolla is it. But if its purely a well balanced package, the octavia does pretty well. Sure it does understeer a fair bit when pushed hard which can unnerve the fairly inexperienced driver, it still is a brilliant package, lack of rear seat space notwithstanding.

I also somewhat agree with GTO too on tyre bit, but somehow even the tyres arent really enough. Its still a pretty high riding vehicle, and its dynamics arent really great. Good but not great.

In my final word, to each his own requirements. Anuj i think u now have a fair idea of what both the cars really are, so see what suits ur requirements best and take ur pick.

Keep revvin ™
Revvmaster

Most Viewed