Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2007, 17:39   #1
BHPian

5 lakhs & a Few Thousand More -- What Car

Need help on this BHPians...

Criteria....

Live in Bangalore. Native of Ooty. Disposed my 10 yr old 800 earlier this year. Need a car now. Been contemplating from the past 6 months. Changed jobs. Planning to pick a house, hence budget is like I mentioned 5 + On Road Bangalore.

May not be my daily ride, as its best to commute in a 2 wheeler in Bangalore. Especially in A BULL. It commands its won respect!!!

Love zipping around (Palio Stile 1.6 ???).

Keep doing a long trip once in a while. Three to Four times a year is a must. With family (Wife & daughter) and sometimes parents accompany. So vehicle needs to be spacious (Logan ??).

Since I already have a JEEP (1967 CJ3B Petrol). Dad doent want anything which looks close to it (was having the Bolero in Mind).

Leaves me with Accent / Ikon / Esteem and Ikon & Esteem are quiet old. So is the Accent the only choice?

Vivek

From support team: Post edited. Please go through board rules. Next post like this will invite infraction. Thanks.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st November 2007 at 21:39.
Old 21st November 2007, 19:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Since you have not specifically stated your preference for a sedan (going by the mention of Palio) why not consider the larger hatches like Swift or Getz?
Old 21st November 2007, 21:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Do try test driving a Logan (the 1.4 falls in your budget), Its spacious, comfy and quite economical (i'm constantly getting 14kpl in city without a/c).
Old 21st November 2007, 21:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you take a look at the new I10 and the chevy spark. Both are quite good looking, should be efficient and are easy to drive in the city
Old 21st November 2007, 21:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

If new, consider a Swift or a Getz. If used, you can do no better than a Vtec or a Baleno.

Do try and use only one full-stop at a time.
Old 21st November 2007, 21:47   #6
BHPian

Go for the Palio 1.6 Sport, my requirements were similar to you when I was contemplating to go for a new car.

Good for city driving (size matters in a place like Bangalore)
On Highways, you'll have the POWERRRRR, great Handling, More than decent boot space.
Cost = 4.76 on road after discounts & rebates.

The only setback might be FE in the city, but then for your commuting you'll be using your bike, so even that shouldn't matter.
Old 21st November 2007, 22:28   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Its fundamentally a petrol, based on your stated usage. Since the family (3+2) is expected to travel during some or all of its usage, that rules out Swift. Perhaps a Getz 1.1/Palio 1.6? The Logan is the other unstated choice, only if you're insulated against image/looks.

Above all this, an Indigo GLS would be the perfect fit.
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:28   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINMAKER View Post
Leaves me with Accent / Ikon / Esteem and Ikon & Esteem are quiet old. So is the Accent the only choice?

Vivek
Vivek, the Accent is quite old as well among the competition listed. So, based on that point alone, they are on equal terms.

Based on your budget you could look at hatches like the Swift, Getz and U-VA. If a sedan is a must, then add the Logan 1.4 to the above list as well.

You would find long term reviews on all these vehicles on the forum. If you need any further details, feel free to ask the members here.
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Since you have not specifically stated your preference for a sedan (going by the mention of Palio) why not consider the larger hatches like Swift or Getz?
Larger hatches...and the swift . Have you sat in the rear seat of this car??

THe larger hatches are the FOrd Fusion and the Skoda Fabia (Yet to be launched)

The Getz diesel is a small hatch in the larger hatch price range.

RainMaker:
These are the ones i think you should get a test drive.

1.Hyundai i10 Magna : You could get the top most variant at our budget and enjoy what were thought as higher class luxuries like dash integrated music player and sunroof. Its adequately spaced and powerful enough for its category.

2.FIAT Palio Stile Sport : THis is one car that you could enjoy driving. The ultra low end torque is somehting that needs to be experienced. And on the highways during the long trips. You will be the king.

3.Chevy Aveo-Uva : A really good vehicle though not as inspiring to drive as the Palio1.6. This one looks really good in black.

4.MArui Swift: if you dont mind the all black interiors. Some rattles. SOme terrible blind spots (especially at rear). and a cramped rear seats.

Last edited by gemithomas : 22nd November 2007 at 11:06.
Old 22nd November 2007, 11:00   #10
BHPian

Though Accent is an old Vehicle, it is a very reliable and proven vehicle. Now since discounts are available (4.99 ex-showroom), I think it would be good to take this into consideration. Also Ford Ikon Ikool would be a good choice if you enjoy driving a lot and also not much bothered about the resale value. Palio 1.6 wouldnt be economic for bangalore traffic. But it shouldnt stop you if you are a 'Fiat-Lover'. Anyways, all these choices would be much better than the logan
Old 22nd November 2007, 11:07   #11
Team-BHP Support

Do you need a boot? If yes buy either an indigo or a Logan.
Accent is a small car with a boot. The rear seat legroom is less than a swift, which has a lousy rear seat legroom.
Another option is the Getz, but you cannot zip around in the 1.3. Its power is average, nothing too great.
Since you have a bull, you won't be bothered by A.S.S. and other baggage with a Palio. Get the 1.6 you will enjoy it.
Old 22nd November 2007, 11:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Go for Fiat 1.6. It is a decent car. As you have told your usage will be less, this will not hurt your pocket much. It has a decent back seat. But if you are considering a sedan, then my recommendation would be for Ford Ikon. Good space and performance. You will get this in your budget. Otherwise, Indigo (Diesel)/Logan (Petrol) will also fit in your requirements if you do not consider the looks as main criteria. Accent may be phased out during next year.
Old 22nd November 2007, 11:34   #13
BHPian

Go for Palio 1.6 and you'll enjoy driving it around. You can also take a look at Getz 1.3 and the i10.
Old 22nd November 2007, 11:37   #14
BHPian

Among the sedans, Ikon and Accent sounds best. Test drive both and choose. Though Accent might get phased out, they are exporting huge numbers so the spare parts might not be a concern. Getz1.1/1.3 is a good option among hatches.
Old 22nd November 2007, 14:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Larger hatches...and the swift . Have you sat in the rear seat of this car??

THe larger hatches are the FOrd Fusion and the Skoda Fabia (Yet to be launched)

The Getz diesel is a small hatch in the larger hatch price range.

I stand corrected - my apologies.
I guess I had the Spark/Estilo etc in mind when I mentioned Swift among the larger hatches.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks