Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2007, 09:12   #1
BHPian

Advise Cedia Sports/ Safari 2.2

Hi,

I have been driving cars for last 10 years, but it’s TBHP that has taught me a lot about machines and features. Many thanks to BHP Team.

I have read a lot on TBHP, test driven few cars and finally arrived at two choices Cedia Sports or Safari 2.2. Can you please provide me your inputs and help me to make a good choice. (I know some of you might be confused with the choice i have made - Car vs SUV)

Budget
Ex Show room 9-10 lakhs

Usage
About 600 KMS a month in city. Another 500 KMS every two months on highway.

Family
Most of the times (80%) I drive alone in the car. Other times it will be my wife and one year old kid. Occasionally when I am at my parents I have 4 adults in the car.

Previous Ownership
I have owned/ driven the following cars
  • Zen petrol
  • Indica Diesel
  • Viva Petrol 1.6
Specialty in this buy
Till now I have been buying and selling cars every 3 years. This time I want to buy a car and keep it for 6-8 years. I will buy another small car that I and/or my wife can use for pure city driving.

Also this time I am more aware of technology, features, performance, VFM etc [FONT=Wingdings]. [/FONT]Now to the cars, why I selected them

Cedia: Looks, performance, manuarability in city traffic, ride quality, VFM

Safari: Choice of my heart (Wanted to buy one since few years, but couldn’t afford it)

What’s bothering me to make a decision
Since I want to keep the car for 6-8 years I am not sure how Safari will fare. Also in city I am little skeptical about parking it in few areas.

Cedia being petrol may prove expensive if I make few long trips.

Thanks for being patient and reading my whole story. Now it’s your turn to advise me.

P.S. I have driven Optra Magnum/ Corolla and I am not happy with them.
Old 20th December 2007, 12:15   #2
BHPian

@ visu03: Assuming you are comparing at 10L OTR which would be Cedia Sports Vs. Safari EX, let me see if I can help your case. Your monthly average seems to be 850KM's and this maynot require a diesel... monthly petrol expenses would be 4,250 @ Rs.50/Litre and 10KMPL while a diesel would work out to 2,850 @ Rs.37/Litre and 11KMPL.

If you choose an LX instead of the EX, you would be shelling out 1~1.25 Lakhs extra for the Cedia, your monthly EMI will be offset to this extent.

Safari easier to "own the road" where no road nor disciplined traffic exists but a Cedia for all other reasons... In Bangalore, I would prefer a Safari for the "Dont mess with me" attitude.

Resale, Reliability, Safety will be much better for the Cedia and it will hold its shape until 6~7 yrs you wish to retain.

Can you decide now - Y/N?
Old 20th December 2007, 12:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey, I would recommend the Cedia Sports if fuel expense is not the criteria. I also see that you are not doing much of highway driving. Of course, its difficult to make a choice between a sedan & SUV

About parking the Safari, I think it would be easier than the Cedia cos you wouldn't have to bother much about people scratching your car or nicking it as they would, by & large, be careful!
Old 20th December 2007, 12:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Parking the Cedia is a breeze and as easy as a hatch cos of the short turning radius. However if you refer to the fact of people scratching the car, that would be on the back of the head of the owner irrespective of the car :P.
Old 20th December 2007, 12:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
However if you refer to the fact of people scratching the car, that would be on the back of the head of the owner irrespective of the car :P.
I'll try & explain - when I park my Fiesta in a public place, people tend to park way too close on either side for my liking (more so the "cab" types); strong chances of nicks on the bumper or elsewhere when they take the cars in & out. Compared to that, when I park the Safari, I find that normally people give it a wide berth on either side
Old 20th December 2007, 12:50   #6
BHPian

Hi,
From the replies I understand that if i don't mind paying extra 1500 rupees for petrol every month, Cedia is suggested for me

What i am not sure still is how will safari fare if i wish to keep it 6~8 years. I guess i will do roughly 70k kilometers in 6~8 years.
Old 20th December 2007, 12:54   #7
BHPian

Can some one tell me how will safari work out if i wish to keep it for 6~8 years. I may clock 70k kms in 6~8 years.
Old 20th December 2007, 12:55   #8
BHPian

You know my advise hehe :)

My Comments below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by visu03 View Post
Hi,

I have been driving cars for last 10 years, but it’s TBHP that has taught me a lot about machines and features. Many thanks to BHP Team.

I have read a lot on TBHP, test driven few cars and finally arrived at two choices Cedia Sports or Safari 2.2. Can you please provide me your inputs and help me to make a good choice. (I know some of you might be confused with the choice i have made - Car vs SUV) [SUV is an SUV, the family getting used to the body roll of a safari will take time, with 4 Adults seated it is not a problem]

Budget
Ex Show room 9-10 lakhs

Usage
About 600 KMS a month in city. Another 500 KMS every two months on highway. [600km/month Thats 20kms Daily? Safari takes atleast 15kms of driving for the engine temperature to come to normal ]

Family
Most of the times (80%) I drive alone in the car. Other times it will be my wife and one year old kid. Occasionally when I am at my parents I have 4 adults in the car.

Previous Ownership
I have owned/ driven the following cars
  • Zen petrol
  • Indica Diesel
  • Viva Petrol 1.6
Specialty in this buy
Till now I have been buying and selling cars every 3 years. This time I want to buy a car and keep it for 6-8 years. I will buy another small car that I and/or my wife can use for pure city driving.

Also this time I am more aware of technology, features, performance, VFM etc [FONT=Wingdings]. [/FONT]Now to the cars, why I selected them

Cedia: Looks, performance, manuarability in city traffic, ride quality, VFM [Safari view is excellent so it gives you an edge over planning your move faster, of course the "U" Turns are a no no but I am sure after a little practice you can master that too]

Safari: Choice of my heart (Wanted to buy one since few years, but couldn’t afford it) [Go with your heart you wouldn't regret it, however be mentally prepared for small niggles here and there, though I have'nt faced any yet but looks like others here have.]

What’s bothering me to make a decision
Since I want to keep the car for 6-8 years I am not sure how Safari will fare. [I have seen more Safaris living at the age of even 10 years than most of the other cars in India] Also in city I am little skeptical about parking it in few areas. [Safari requires the same parking space like any other car meaning if you cant get a parking spot it is likely that it really doesn't matter which car you are in, in terms of size. There aren't just any parking spaces these days, unless you have a "Reva" and risk parking it in a 2 wheeler spot which I doubt wouldn't be empty too]

Cedia being petrol may prove expensive if I make few long trips. [Yes, it will be expensive]

Thanks for being patient and reading my whole story. Now it’s your turn to advise me.

P.S. I have driven Optra Magnum/ Corolla and I am not happy with them.
Buddy Safari 2.2 ROCKS big time, follow your heart and forget the rest, there is no comparison here, rest are just excuses. Cheers!
Old 20th December 2007, 13:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
My Comments below:

Buddy Safari 2.2 ROCKS big time, follow your heart and forget the rest, there is no comparison here, rest are just excuses. Cheers!
I agree, there is no comparison here. These are two different segments, lifestyles and very different highs.
The cedia is good safe and nimble - with the necessary safety features (ABS, airbags etc) built in as standard.
The safari is a trip all-together.

Its like comparing a bullet with a pulsar 180. If I had to choose- i would be torn too- but might swing with the cedia - given the duration of ownership, distance travelled per month, and maximum number of adults in the vehicle.

Last edited by madan80 : 20th December 2007 at 13:41.
Old 20th December 2007, 13:46   #10
BHPian

My guess, TATA vehicles can run (major?) trouble free upto 1L KM

I guess any TATA vehicle can reliably run upto 1L KM w/o any major troubles; My father-in-law owns an Y2001 Indica V2 which has done ~1.25L KM - it never gave trouble upto the 1L mark then onwards its been a pain in the wrong place...
Quote:
Can some one tell me how will safari work out if i wish to keep it for 6~8 years. I may clock 70k kms in 6~8 years.
Old 20th December 2007, 13:51   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Both depreciate equally quickly - so their resale status at the end of 6-8 yrs will be similar. A petrol might be a better option for that long an intended onwership- Cedia.
Old 20th December 2007, 14:07   #12
BHPian

I would go for Safari. This is not due to the reason that I own one...but since apart from this car/suv, you are also planning to buy another small car, then i feel safari would be a better choice. Also, since it was ur dream of buying one...you can as well get ur dream to turn to reality...
Old 20th December 2007, 14:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
already quite a few have clocked quite a lot within very short period..check out some of the long term ownership reports...so going by that...it 70k over 6~8 yrs should not be a problem...
and if you go for extended warrenty, then 4 yrs are covered by it...and by then you will also get to know how it will be for the next part of its stay with you....
Old 20th December 2007, 14:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Its not fair to compare a SUV with a passenger Sedan.

Considering your usage, I recommend Cedia.
The spare parts cost is higher for Cedia. But its an excellent car for city/ highway use. Go for Safari if you prefer SUV over a Sedan.
Old 20th December 2007, 14:23   #15
BHPian

With your immediate family (you + wife + kid) you need a sedan. But if you plan to extend your immediate family in the near future plus your extended family, you need the Safari.

Also, you need the Safari since you plan to go in for the smaller car in future.

You need the Safari as you heart needs it

You can afford the Safari since your budget is 9-10 lakhs ex-showroom.

Therefore, you should go in for the Safari and you will learn to live with the initial niggles. Go for it man.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks