Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2005, 18:37   #1
BHPian

Does buying a used Baleno make sense?

Hey Guys,

I test drove a lot of cars while shopping for a mid-sized car- Accent, Ikon, Corsa and Baleno. The sheer performance and handling of the Baleno blew me away!

However, the resale value of the Baleno is a concern for me - I don't keep cars for more than 3 yrs max and Baleno already looks dated. So it wouln't be a wise investment, considering I don't have a lot of cash to blow. :(

So I was wondering if it made sense to go for a second-hand Baleno - I would get a good deal since resale is low and I think it would be better investment.

My only concern is that you never know about used cars......

Could you please let me know if my idea of going in for a used Baleno makes sense or not? (or should I pitch in a lil more and go for a used City?). Also, please let me know what I should watch out for if I'm buying a used Baleno.

And by the way, does the Baleno give any probelms with time....I plan on keeping the car for abt 3 yrs more.

hoping to get lotsa replies since many members own Balenos!

Last edited by sonic : 25th January 2005 at 18:46.
Old 25th January 2005, 18:54   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

depends on what you are looking for in a car i was in market some time ago (delhi)looking for some good second hand car possibly a honda1.5 or a safari4x4 but however i aborted my search i got a lot of information on second hand market,you can also include honda city and mitsubishi lancer in search as both of them are equally good cars with honda stressing on performance and handling and mitsubishi excels in ride comfort and looks,while baleno is also a very good car for you if you dont care about the looks and maruti image,then accent is good car for everyday use not recommended for enthusiasts but accent has good resale value,ikon again is a very hot car but doesnt rock the used car market as the cars fresher looking variant is launched in market every year then the older variant doesnt look as fresh and a word of caution before baying ford cars the spares are not available in market only in ford dealers so if approach with caution if you live in remote town or plan to travel there.

[SIZE=2]Note From Moderator - Useless hyperlinks in your post WILL NOT BE TOLERATED in the future.[/SIZE] I believe i have PM'd you about this before, so this will be the last warning.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th January 2005 at 06:23.
Old 25th January 2005, 18:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you want a Baleno go in for a brand new one. If you want a City, you should get a 2003 Vtec Model for around 5.5-6 Lakhs.

Do you plan to modify your car? In that case the City 1.5 would be better. The Baleno though has better drivability since it has low end torque. The Hondas need to be kept at a slightly higher rpm.

Shan2nu
Old 25th January 2005, 19:25   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
If you want a Baleno go in for a brand new one.
Shan2nu
Could you please let me know why a used Baleno is not recommended? Are there any known issues in used Balenos or something?
Old 25th January 2005, 19:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic
Could you please let me know why a used Baleno is not recommended? Are there any known issues in used Balenos or something?
For the simple fact that the Baleno is now almost 4 lakhs cheaper than what it used to be. Why buy a 2nd hand one if you can afford a brand new car.

It's always good to start afresh, especially with performance cars.

Shan2nu
Old 25th January 2005, 20:00   #6
BHPian

going for a new Baleno would be a stretch goal for me!! I would have to blow all my savings and even take a loan.....

So assuming that I can't afford a new Baleno (even at 6 Lakhs), is a used one a safe or good buy? Let us say my budget is around 4 Lakhs....... Or do you strictly recommend that I not go in for a used one? Is yes, could you please briefly explain why?

PS: Sorry for the thrash on this topic, but I'm trying to make up my mind and I need all the data I can find!!
Old 25th January 2005, 20:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey sonic theres no harm in buying a used Baleno . You certainly might get some decently used pieces around. One idea is to check out the True Value Maruti used cars. These Marutis have a certain no. of point checks done, the car is refurbished and then put for sale. They even give you a warranty on the used car. And generally they dont accept accident cars .

Try that option. You could fine a good baleno of less vintage for a good price

Dippy
Old 25th January 2005, 21:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wakeup!!!

Yes Sonic,,as rightfully mentioned by Dippy, True Value Maruti used cars is one sure to get a good pre owned car. Maruti warranty is highly valued coz the quality standards with these huys has never dipped.

Well, talking about resale value...today the market value of pre owned Baleno is not very impressive but trust me this resale will surely plateau(stay the same or close) as people start buying more Baleno's. Baleno started off really bad!!! but its the most upcoming model due to a price slash. The car except for rear looks is just awesome!!! Its the most/one of the most powerful car in its segment and the fuel efficiency is extremely impressive at an average of 13 for a city drive(without aircon) and 94 horses ready to gallop with a mere fly landing on your foot...Well can U match those figures with any other car in this segment???cannot really. Now, if one rejects the car inspite of all these merrits just coz its not as good looking as a Lancer or City...well there is surely something to ponder about!!! The looks of the car is merely a superficial issue in a longer run when it boils down to driving pleasure and reliability....unless your account is in Swiss bank .

Everything is nothing and nothing is everything.
-Chuck Shuldiner.
Old 25th January 2005, 21:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well there's nothing wrong in buying a 2nd hand Baleno. I was under the impression that you didn't have a prob with it's price tag of 6. But if you have to go in for a 2nd hand car, you might want to give a few Hondas a look.

Shan2nu
Old 28th January 2005, 00:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Considering todays market , the resale of the BAleno is not bad .
Even today the Baleno fetches more than the Ikon 1.6( Despite the Baleno LXI being cheaper than the IKON 1.6 NXt which has alloys and fogs as extra over the BAleno ) and the corsa 1.6 Its resale is almost on par with the best resale value car Accent in its segment .

So u need not worry abt resale value.
Old 28th January 2005, 23:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Baleno in Euro 3 complaint model has a discount of 45000 on full outright payment.
Grab it
Old 24th June 2007, 11:40   #12

Dear Wolf,

i am 110% agree with you,as driver you should look 3 things comfort,safety,power,which Banilo have in cheap rate in its segment.
sovan
Old 24th June 2007, 14:49   #13
BHPian

what should be the price for a 2005 Oct Baleno LXi run 18000 kms in Mumbai...the car is silver and in scratchless condition and also has nice looking alloys and proabably ( new tires) and art leather seats....

I came across this car at a automart India which is a reputed dealership in Mumbai....

Haven't driven the car yet ( will do that in a week or so)...but incase all's well what is the price I should settle for ? Also would like to know whether the extended warranty of 4 yrs was available way back in Oct 05 ?

~A
Old 24th June 2007, 15:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Extended warranty 4 years was available since My Baleno (June 2005) has this 4 years extended waranty. About the corect price..maybe someone can throw a bit of light on it...
Old 24th June 2007, 15:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Depriciating 35% from the 5.5Lakhs, im getting a value of 3.57.
In the Baleno's case, its the buyer's market since Its a "discontinued" model and "flop" model.
Use the words in quotes to haggle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks