Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2008, 12:39   #1
BHPian

what next?

Hey guys, in a bit of a quandary here. Presently driving a 2001 OHC vtec and yeah things getting a little dull, so planning on an upgrade soon.

OPTION 1.
Turbo the ol' vtec. (already running FFE, filters, tuned tappets blah blah blah)

OPTION 2.
Get a civic (paddle shift) with mild stage one mods for ease of urban commuting (b'lore traffic is a horrible ) without sacrificing some fun.

OPTION 3.
Wait for the new lancer (2009) which is a junior evo (looks) and is expected to have around 140 horses as against its 152 horsepowered counterpart abroad. [Source: Autocar India, April issue]

OPTION 4.
Skoda Octavia RS, 'm a little hesitant about the czech because its a bit dated, and modding the RS is a more expensive affair?? Laura RS, is out of my budget.

OPTION 5.
Lancer Cedia, not too keen about it. Lacks modern features. 'm aware its a brilliant chassis and makes for a fantastic driving experience at that price point, but IMO, it feels a little "barebone" and the 2 litre block is appallingly underpowered. (115 hp !!!!)

Please note that the car will be used as a daily driver, i commute around 30km a day. Mileage is not a deal clincher, anything around 7-8kmpl should do fine.

Thanks in advance,
Ashwin

Last edited by GTO : 13th May 2008 at 11:16. Reason: No inappropriate language on this community. Even indirectly (*****)
Old 12th May 2008, 13:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest option 1 or Option 3 for you.

Turbo'd vtec's are insanely fast and very addictive to drive. But then you can soup up the lancer too.

All the best.
Old 12th May 2008, 16:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

As you already have a modded Vtec its wise to wait for the new lancer as it has more horses running. On the other hand i too agree with aditya here for opting with option1 and get it turboed until the lancer hits the roads.
Old 12th May 2008, 18:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

i would suggest you Option # 3 !
Old 12th May 2008, 18:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am no expert or techie so Option 1 I do not know about.

I'd say Option 2 as it is the best looker and awesome to drive.

Option 3 looks tempting BUT you never know HM and if they ever do launch it.
Old 13th May 2008, 11:17   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Civic would be a logical upgrade from the OHC, especially since you are used to high-revving engines.
Old 13th May 2008, 12:29   #7
BHPian

installing a turbo to the OHC is alot of fun, but 'm somehow not convinced about it being a feasible daily driver??? and what about turbo lag, the vtec lacks a mid range in the first place, wont installing a turbo accentuate this? can it start spooling from as low as say 2500rpm??
hmmm, the civic seems a logical choice...but may corrupt the purity of an enthusiast by shifting to a flappy paddle :P but with the present tragic traffic conditions [read magic boxes] i seem to be veering towards an auto tranny.
Also in love with the futuristic design inside and out.
decisions decisions !!!
Old 13th May 2008, 13:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

CIVIC would be a wise decision...later add more horses to it...since your are already using VTEC this would be perfect upgrade....
Paddel shift grears would definetly makes statement as you are not more concern about mileage.
Old 13th May 2008, 14:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

If you can't wait, Civic is the only option else wait for new lancer to show up and then compare it with Civic before you buy. Going by the past history of Mitsu launches, I won't be surprised if new Lancer shows up later in 2009 as opposed to early 2009. Outlander is the case in point. A lot of folks were predicting it to be launched in Jan/Feb but looks like it is going to come around Sept.
Old 13th May 2008, 14:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
and what about turbo lag, the vtec lacks a mid range in the first place, wont installing a turbo accentuate this? can it start spooling from as low as say 2500rpm??
AFAIK, a small turbo spools faster and the lag is also less. The amount of boost you can generate out of a small turbo is also limited.
Old 13th May 2008, 15:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Buying a new car is complete different from building the older one,so i would suggest you to go ahead for a Civic its a great car to own
Old 13th May 2008, 15:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
OPTION 1.
Turbo the ol' vtec. (already running FFE, filters, tuned tappets blah blah blah)
Might not be a great idea to spend money on the vtec as you are bound to get used to the power very soon and get bored again (going by my experience, I agree your's can be different). Not to say, you will have to spend money on brakes and suspension too, from a purist point of view.

Quote:
OPTION 2.
Get a civic (paddle shift) with mild stage one mods for ease of urban commuting (b'lore traffic is a horrible ) without sacrificing some fun.
The Civis is a logical upgrade, like GTO says, but be aware, an automatic (with paddle shift, etc all) may fetch you a lesser resale value compared to a manual. The paddle shift is not all that great, the novelty will wear off very soon.

Quote:
OPTION 3.
Wait for the new lancer (2009) which is a junior evo (looks) and is expected to have around 140 horses as against its 152 horsepowered counterpart abroad. [Source: Autocar India, April issue]
Only if you can believe in all that is said. There is still a danger of the car being delayed till mid/end 2009, going by past history.

Quote:
OPTION 4.
Skoda Octavia RS, 'm a little hesitant about the czech because its a bit dated, and modding the RS is a more expensive affair?? Laura RS, is out of my budget.
Brilliant car, but buying a new one at this point does not make sense. The Octavia is on it's way out... mods are not a problem (bit pricey, but mostly easy to source)

Quote:
OPTION 5.
Lancer Cedia, not too keen about it. Lacks modern features. 'm aware its a brilliant chassis and makes for a fantastic driving experience at that price point, but IMO, it feels a little "barebone" and the 2 litre block is appallingly underpowered. (115 hp !!!!)
That engine has some good potential for upgrades. Ask Harrie and Psycho who had turbo charged a fellow member's Cedia. The car is insane. With not many Cedias around, it gives you the feel of exclusivity at the cost of resale value. you might be able to compensate for it with dealer discounts though.

My take overall, will be (in the order of preference)

1. Civic 1.8V MT
2. Cedia
3. Skoda Octavia RS

Quote:
installing a turbo to the OHC is alot of fun, but 'm somehow not convinced about it being a feasible daily driver??? and what about turbo lag, the vtec lacks a mid range in the first place, wont installing a turbo accentuate this? can it start spooling from as low as say 2500rpm??
Why not try a greddy/spoon sport header with your FFE? There are people who have tried it on the forum and are very happy with the outcome. On my OHC 1.5, it has done wonders to the midange, particularly at 2500-5000 rpm. It does affect the top-end though.

If you want to wait, there are going to be more options for you to get confused about (Civic Hybrid, New Corolla, New NHC, etc)
Old 13th May 2008, 20:54   #13
BHPian

@ quicksilver: thanks for the insightful response
well, seems like its gonna be a toss between a manual and auto civic. i seem to concur with what is being said about being used to a high revving honda, and like what you and hondadude say, mitsu is a bit tardy with its launches.
corolla ?? no thanks, not a geriatric yet lol !
Old 19th May 2008, 14:15   #14
BHPian

Ash_vtec - personally I would recommend a Civic MT for you. Thats a logical upgrade and would give you the same (if not more) values of the OHC VTEC that you are already used to.

Suggest you look up my review of the Civic. Page 2 has my review of my first highway trip. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...yesterday.html.

Trust this helps...thanks.
Old 19th May 2008, 16:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys, in a bit of a quandary here. Presently driving a 2001 OHC vtec and yeah things getting a little dull, so planning on an upgrade soon.

OPTION 1.

OPTION 2.

OPTION 3.

OPTION 4.

OPTION 5.

Please note that the car will be used as a daily driver, i commute around 30km a day. Mileage is not a deal clincher, anything around 7-8kmpl should do fine.

Thanks in advance,
Ashwin

Option 3 is what I think you should wait for. However, if you want an instant change, then go for the Cedia. Ceida has probably the best combination of almost everythink you expect.
Secondly, the car is not selling hot and new one is coming, so you will get excellent disocunts, but dont expect resale.
Thirdly, the engine used in Ceida has huge prospects for modifications. You will satisfy your hunger for power with reliable upgardes.

Out of what you have provided:
1) Cedia
2) Civic ( it is avaliable right now )
3) New lancer.

Most Viewed