Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:33   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
How do you feel about buying a car for about 13L and then putting 7L of goodies and gadgets in it? There are quite a lot of folks here who could help you spend a few lakhs each on music (2L sounds reasonable for a top class set-up), engine mods (you could have a turbo etc for about 2L) and other sweet stuff like OZ wheels (1L) and a moonroof (1L) etc etc etc.
That sounds like a plan theEnd. Which car would suggest as a base?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
Laura DSG seems tailor made for you.
1. gadgets galore
2. no tacky wood finish (agree with you on this, indian consumers are hell bent on everything beige and wood)
3. good ride and acceptable space in backseat
4. not too cumbersome to manage in a city like b'lore (decent size, sub 5 mtr)

5. incidental bonus, its a diesel, lower running costs

6. built to last
Yup Ash_vtec. I quite like the Laura. But isn't it 110bhp or something like that? With a max speed of 170kmph? The real me would probably never exceed 160kmph. But the fictional character inside me wants to hit 200kmph+

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
Simple, give me your wallet and forget confusion
Even if I give you my wallet, I'll have a new confusion. Should my cart have two bullocks or four? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Get a laura and get it done up by petes! simple!

Pete's Performance Products
That sounds good JayD. Am a novice in these things. What would it cost? And how much would the bhp & top speed move up by?

Thanks for so many responses. This community is incredibly enthu. A lot of responses suggest Accord or CRV. How does the gadgetry compare between these two cars?

Last edited by tsk1979 : 23rd May 2008 at 11:55.
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:43   #32
BHPian

The superb section of the skoda website says it is under construction. I checked the others as well, and the same message appeared, so it looks like they are doing a rehaul of their website.
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:56   #33
Team-BHP Support

Buy the accord. You get good performance, good comfort, good fun factor and peace of mind.
180bhp will make it a very decent fast car.
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend Accord as you would be at the back seat. Lot of space, comfortable ride and great power. The handling and build quality have improved compared to the previous version. You will have to compromise on the gadget front.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 23rd May 2008 at 12:08.
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:20   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambono5 View Post
Hi folks,

Lemme first admit, with not inconsiderable embarrassment, that I had asked for advice in this forum 2 years back, about buying a new car (was looking at the Octavia vRS & Embera at that time). I have been dillying for one year and dallying for another. All the while driving my Ikon SXI which is now filled with geriatric problems. Now I've got a little more money to spend but a lot more cars to choose from. Would therefore appreciate some advice. Here goes :

My budget is about 20L OTR in Bangalore (don't mind stretching or saving a couple of lakhs).

I am usually in the backseat (which is the best place to be in Bangalore traffic). So I would appreciate some comfort & legroom there. But I also go on extended highway trips (maybe 2-3 short ones and 1 long one per year). This is when I drive and I love driving fast & furiously during these trips. So I need a balance of rear-seat comfort and driving thrills. Prefer an automatic transmission in city rides but am ok with a manual.

FE is not a big issue for me and neither is resale.

Features are welcome. The more, the merrier. Trip computers, iPod compatibility, Parking sensors, Xenons, tubeless tyres and whatever else.

One personal quirk - I hate wood in the interiors (an absolute no-no). Give me chrome, or aluminiun or titanium or anything but no wood.

The difficult part is that because of a flexible budget, I have too many cars in mind :

1. Octavia RS - My heart is still pointing me there, but won't it be obsolete by now?
2. Laura vRS - Though I don't have much of it being launched anytime soon.
3. Honda Accord - The new one seems perfect but does it have the build & handling of the Skodas?
4. Honda CRV - How fast does it go on highways?
5. Volkwagen Passat - Will I be trading comfort for brandname?
6. Any other car out there. A few more options can't confuse me any more

Would appreciate suggestions/advice.

Thanks

Rambono5
1st of all , no need to feel embarrassed, its very natural to be confused when it comes buying a good car and especially you have a good budget , as a result you just end up delaying your car.

Considering your options

1. Octavia RS is a great car but its dated , i THINK that its not available now, and also its back seat is not as comfortable as other sedans , as ive experienced myself.

2. Laura vRS - I dont have any idea when will it'll be launched or will it happen , and not point considering as already you have delayed it , no point delaying it further.

3. Passsat - I personally dont like its styling and since its for 26 lac , this choice is also eliminated.

so I think your choice narrows down to Accord and CRV.

Though honda's have good handling , but build quality of skoda is little better .

For direct comparison

1. Handling - Accord might score better as it has lower centre of gravity.

2. Acceleration - 7th gen accord was faster than CRV , so the new one is also expected to be faster , but 0-100 of CRV is also respectable at 11 sec roughly, and is more than adequate.

3. Highway presence - CRV scores big on this part

4. Cornering - Ofcourse , accord again for lower centre of gravity.

I personally feel, accord is more suitable for you as you'll be sitting mostly on the back seat and its equally capable car performance wise giving you what you expect as a driver and since it's an entirely new car , you always feel delighted when heads turn to see the new car.

Though resale is not a prob for you , but still you can easily get big bucks for accord as all hondas have good resale value.

I expect I might have helped you.
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:57   #36

Thanks all. Will test-drive an Accord & CRV and pick one.
Old 23rd May 2008, 13:18   #37
BHPian

Have a look at the Teana. The new Superb is also out. Looks great I'm told!
Old 23rd May 2008, 13:41   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

There is always something special about buying the latest car on block...the intangibles are many. This and the fact that the new Accord is a *superb* all-rounder ought to clinch the deal.

To me, the bigger the car...the better. However, this may or may not be applicable to you. Test drive the Laura too.
Old 23rd May 2008, 13:47   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambono5 View Post
Thanks all. Will test-drive an Accord & CRV and pick one.
Drive the new Accord and you'll fall for it. Okay the handling isn't as sharp as the previous Accord considering it has grown in every direction but the rear seat comfort has improved by a mile now. You have access to all the goodies from the rear with stereo controls et al. It is still 'furiously fast' though, and the automatic box with manual override gets it to 100 in a shade below 10 seconds- appreciable for a executive barge. It is even quicker than the Superb- Petrol V6 that is.

Edit: The Superb has a healthy dose of wood garnishing everywhere.... from door panels to the center console.

Last edited by doomsday : 23rd May 2008 at 13:50.
Old 23rd May 2008, 14:04   #40
BHPian

NEW ACCORD.
the best part is its less japanese, more european.
the only bad part is that in terms of features, the laura is better. but then in terms of features laura is better than the mercedes c & e both.

ACCORD has too many things going in its favour right now.
Old 26th May 2008, 09:42   #41
BHPian

With that much money to spend, i would give the Mitsubishi Pajero also a glance.
Awesome road presence, superb handling and a great heritage among cars.
Its like some people are driven in their cars and some people arrive in their cars.Believe me no body messes around with a Pajero in traffic.
Get a Pajero, with oversized rubber and own the road.

Give it a test drive before making a decision.
The Accord is a good choice but seems flimsy in terms of build quality.
CRV has a very typical shape and is a fuel guzzler.

SUV's may come and SUV's may go, but Pajero goes on forever.
Old 26th May 2008, 10:06   #42
BHPian

CR-V would be a great choice.
2.0 engine also has good FE and is peppy too.

Plus Point:-
Back seat four way adjustable = comfortable for long journeys.
Spacious- Do I have to say anything. Ok VERY.
6-speed gear shift(better), A/T option only in 2.4 4x4.
On highway you can easily touch 200, with no vibration and believe me you wouldn't come to know until you look at the speedo. And at that speed too the car seems very much in control.

Regards
YOU KNOW WHO
CR-V(CR-V asking you to buy CR-V)

PS: I own one too.
Old 26th May 2008, 11:23   #43
Senior - BHPian

Accord will have wood inserts in the interior and you will have to live with it.
No one suggesting the Civic ?
Old 26th May 2008, 11:52   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Accord will have wood inserts in the interior and you will have to live with it.
No one suggesting the Civic ?
Civic is a lower segment isn't it?
He has 20L budget, while civic is under 13, no?

And accord with wooden interiors there is only CR-V left.
Old 26th May 2008, 12:42   #45
Senior - BHPian

Im gonna add more confusion here. How about waiting for Civic Hybrid?? I guess it ll fall in that price range.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks