Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2008, 21:40   #16
BHPian

@blueband4u: You have perfectly put together your requirements and limitations. Do not go in for a 2nd hand car and fufill your desire for a new one. Also will save you a ton on maintenance.

As Naga_Swisan has indicated, the Logan 1.4 / Dzire Lxi/Vxi would be perfect for your requirements.
Check Ashutoshb's threads for updates on the Logan. He is having a fantastic run with his car, great FE, tons of space and more than adequate performance.What more would you want at a fantastic pricepoint(Max 5 and a half OTR).

The Dzire though would be much thirstier. Maybe an Accent as well, same issue though..

All the above indicated are the petrol version(per your limited running). Put the rest of the cash you saved in your bank/ do up your ride.

Last edited by sanjayatarizona : 11th June 2008 at 21:55.
Old 11th June 2008, 21:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion would be not to take loan and settle for an entry sedan (Accent, Ford Ikon, Indigo, Swift Dzire) or look for second hand cars suggested by Esteem_lover and Razor.

All the Best!!
Old 11th June 2008, 22:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

@Senthil - I would agree with most members. Go either for the Dzire vxi , Accent LPG or 2nd hand Honda city. These 3 cars would be quite easy to maintain.
Old 11th June 2008, 23:38   #19
BHPian

I might have a completely contradictory viewpoint on this.

It seems you are stretching yourself to buy a bigger car.

Ideally, I would advise you to go for an Aveo/SX4 VXi/Fiesta 1.4/DZire VXi.

Lets put a few things in perspective:
1- Are you using all of your family savings to "buy status"? Are your parents working? Your brother is some time away from beginning to earn? Is it so important?
2- Are you planning to spend the money you don't even earn now? Don't assume life will all be hunky dory, and you'd keep making the same money (although we all wish you make 10x the money tomorrow on)
3- Why take a loan?
4- Why pay such a big amount at downpayment (it is 3 years of your salary in one go)

Answer these questions first. And then we'd see if you NEED to buy a new car

Best wishes.
Old 12th June 2008, 07:24   #20
BHPian

santro to sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
It seems you are stretching yourself to buy a bigger car.....
Agree to the above...

Sorry to play spoilsport but it depends on which category you fall in.

Category1
You come from a rich affluent family, and you are not dependent on your job to continue your life. You may perhaps carry on with some family business.
>> Go ahead with your plans take a loan and buy a new Sedan.

Category2
You do not come from a rich family, and you have to earn for yourself and support yourself independently going forward.
>>Then going by your financial status you don't need to shell out so much for a sedan right now. That too by taking money from your parents.
If your parents have kept this money aside for you, it would be wise to use it to invest in a flat/house or something that builds up your assets.

If that does not appeal to you right now, you can even try your hand in stocks/MF's in case you have not done so already. The markets are at a low right now. Here I don't mean day trading but invest and wait.

This is just my advice. In the end Its your money and your choice..

Cheers!!!
Old 12th June 2008, 11:34   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post

It seems you are stretching yourself to buy a bigger car.

Ideally, I would advise you to go for an Aveo/SX4 VXi/Fiesta 1.4/DZire VXi.

Lets put a few things in perspective:
1- Are you using all of your family savings to "buy status"? Are your parents working? Your brother is some time away from beginning to earn? Is it so important?
2- Are you planning to spend the money you don't even earn now? Don't assume life will all be hunky dory, and you'd keep making the same money (although we all wish you make 10x the money tomorrow on)
3- Why take a loan?
4- Why pay such a big amount at downpayment (it is 3 years of your salary in one go)

Answer these questions first. And then we'd see if you NEED to buy a new car

Best wishes.

Thanks a lot barcode for your interest to help me
Both my mom and dad are working and their salaries combined is 4 times that of mine
Since im the only person in my family know how to drive and also know something about cars my dad absolutely has left me to make my own decision.He feells that only im driving the car and no matter what car it is they are just going to enjoy luxury rather than driving
The only thing he said was that he'll help me to buy the car but maintanence of that car i should take care of
Since im a fresher i have just started to earn some money.i am not into software programming which eventually does'nt have bright future and then i should be saving money for my future.im a mechanical engineer by profession and my market value will only increase gradually.so its not like im using all my family savings to "buy status".Let me summarize once again
1. I have decided not to take any loan(Actually i have posted this previously but its getting late to be displayed in this thread since i am new here and somebody has to approve my replies before it gets displayed) :-(
2. My final amount to spend for the car will be around 5.75 to 6 Lakhs
3. My monthly budget for car is Rs.5000 to 6000
4. Definitely no Esteem,Accent or Logan.Some may not agree with this point but my problem is already there are 4 Accents with my mom's relatives.i don't want to have that same car.i want something different
5. For Dezire i have to wait for 6 months it seems...Booking Period!! My Santro is getting older and older
6. Please
Please i want to buy a new/used one within a month because i dont want my Dad to change his mind....already while buying the bike we decided to buy Pulsor 180 but i did not act quickly because of my exams at that time and when the exams got over he had already booked for Discover 125!My dad always changes his mind quickly and i dont want it to happen with the car that im gonna buy
7. The car that im going to buy will be with me only for 3 years and by that time my brother will finish college and will join somewhere.At that time definitely i will go for the New Civic because at that time all the members in my family(Me,Dad,Mom,Brother) will be working and 13-14 Lacs for a car will not be a big deal for us.so may be i will stick with second hand cars.but still if any one can strongly recommend the new base model SX4 i will go for it.
8. Very important point...Thank you so.o.....much for reading this long post....im indeed eager to know at the end of this thread what car i would have bought!
Old 12th June 2008, 11:37   #22
BHPian

I have replied but its not getting displayed here...im new to this Team-Bhp and have never been to these kind of forums before.so im not sure whether it will take some time for our replies to get displayed
Old 12th June 2008, 16:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueband4u View Post
I have replied but its not getting displayed here...im new to this Team-Bhp and have never been to these kind of forums before.so im not sure whether it will take some time for our replies to get displayed
Your posts will be moderated till you get the BHP'ian status which is 44 posts away as I type this
---------------------

Though there are other sources of income which can support you, I suggest to go for an second hand Baleno (2004 0r 2005) which would cost somewhere around 3L - 3.5L depending on the condition and other aspects of the car.
Old 12th June 2008, 17:57   #24
BHPian

Blueband, my suggestions are as follows:
a) Pls buy a new car, if possible. While buying an used car, you need to have the ability to judge the condition very well. There is an always an element of luck involved and you will not have peace of mind.
b) A new Tata Indigo fits your budget very well, but you have mentioned that you have not taken to it's looks. I guess that is subjective, but pls do reconsider
c) If you must buy an used car, I suggest a cedia or honda- they are VFM buys and being of Japanese make will guarantee better "reliability" and peace of mind to you
d) Finally, having made up your mind on the budget, pls do not get tempted to reach for something that is beyond this. It is a common pitfall.
Old 12th June 2008, 18:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
Blueband, my suggestions are as follows:
a) Pls buy a new car, if possible. While buying an used car, you need to have the ability to judge the condition very well. There is an always an element of luck involved and you will not have peace of mind.
b) A new Tata Indigo fits your budget very well, but you have mentioned that you have not taken to it's looks. I guess that is subjective, but pls do reconsider
c) If you must buy an used car, I suggest a cedia or honda- they are VFM buys and being of Japanese make will guarantee better "reliability" and peace of mind to you
d) Finally, having made up your mind on the budget, pls do not get tempted to reach for something that is beyond this. It is a common pitfall.
Thanks sridharps
Finally i have got some one suggesting Cedia!Thanks a lot dude. Just a hour back i got an offer for Corolla and they are demanding a stiff 6 Lacs which is Rs.25000 more than our Budget of 5.75 Lacs.It is a 2005 model,silver colour.
Fellow BHPians please advise, shall i follow up with this offer and see the car directly or drop it at the beginning itself?
Old 13th June 2008, 10:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

Reading through your requirements & the market, the best car for you is a corolla, next is the cedia, but beware of the very low resale for your cedia in 3 years time.
Old 13th June 2008, 10:31   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Reading through your requirements & the market, the best car for you is a corolla, next is the cedia, but beware of the very low resale for your cedia in 3 years time.
I guess the car in question is a used Cedia to take advantage of the poor resale... you may not loose much on a Cedia over a Corolla, 3 yrs down becos HM will continue to sell the Cedia alongside the 10th gen Lancer (they are still selling the old lancer and will continue to do so...) while Toyota or Honda would discontinue the current model once the new one launches (see what they did to the Qualis and the OHC/Accord). Who knows, in 3 yrs you would just fall in love with the Cedia that you would want mod it crazy and retain it for life!!!
Old 13th June 2008, 15:28   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
I guess the car in question is a used Cedia to take advantage of the poor resale... you may not loose much on a Cedia over a Corolla, 3 yrs down becos HM will continue to sell the Cedia alongside the 10th gen Lancer (they are still selling the old lancer and will continue to do so...) while Toyota or Honda would discontinue the current model once the new one launches (see what they did to the Qualis and the OHC/Accord). Who knows, in 3 yrs you would just fall in love with the Cedia that you would want mod it crazy and retain it for life!!!
Thank you so much.now i have to finally decide between these three
1.used corolla
2.used Cedia
3.new Sx4 Basic model
Old 20th June 2008, 19:08   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueband4u View Post
Thank you so much.now i have to finally decide between these three
1.used corolla
2.used Cedia
3.new Sx4 Basic model
Blueband ,what was the final decision? Have you made up your mind yet?
Old 23rd June 2008, 15:09   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
Blueband ,what was the final decision? Have you made up your mind yet?
Well if you have any suggestion please let me know

Most Viewed