Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2008, 14:31   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benkey2 View Post
i suggest instead of booking without testdrive u can wait and TD the ANHC, then decide.IMO, probably you can opt for the current city if they offers huge discounts. fiesta few months back offered around 70k discount on their stocks before their new facelifted version is launched - that means exshowroom price= OTR.
Since Gourav is already having a budget to buy a ANHC i dont think we should suggest the NHC. Also after owning OHC im sure he would like to upgrade to ANHC. Gourav i would suggest you wait till the TD vehicles are available. So if you book in 1st week Nov. You should get it by Jan beginning for sure .
Old 3rd October 2008, 16:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
I drive a old 2002 Honda and its quick, but I don’t think Verna has much power than City VTEC as I my self have seen may people who is driving a City VTEC will have, Verna as dote in there mirror.

New City has got lot more stuffs to add in that segment. But when it comes to diesel I think Verna is good.
Bad drivers i should say. Verna is a very powerful car. Very hard to make Verna a dot.
Butttt......a recent Verna owner reported an average of 7k service cost for every 10k kilomters. A city - may be 1500 bucks. Maths is important here.
Old 3rd October 2008, 17:31   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
Butttt......a recent Verna owner reported an average of 7k service cost for every 10k kilomters. A city - may be 1500 bucks. Maths is important here.
I agree that maths is extremely important here but I disagree, @ kutlee on the maintanence cost of the verna crdi , i have had my car for 46000 KMS now in the past 1.8 years and i have never had to foot a service bill bigger than 4 K.This means that my average service cost is much lesser Which is inclusive of the filter changes .

and rs 1500 for 10000 KMS for a NHC is kind of unbeliveable from where i have seen , your labour charges alone for an NHC would come to that range.

NHC Service costs @ whitefield honda ( Approx)
Engine oil Change - Rs 2000(synthetic) / 900 ( mineral)
General check up - Rs 990
Water Service - Rs 500
Air Filter - Changes - Rs 250

Verna CRDI Service costs @ Trident Hyundai ( Approx)
Engine oil Change - Rs 1400 ( Synth/mineral ?)
General check up - Rs 350 (includes oil and washer fluid top up)
Water Service - Rs 350
Air Filter - Changes - Rs 450

See I know the HMASS works and each service advisor is given sales targets to achive so he will willingly palm off a premature engine oil flush or a filter change if you are not careful enough to take a very critical look at the given estimate before approving the work. I belive that this is the case anywhere.Hence you cannot generalise on the maintanence cost of the verna by just one input....

Form whati have experienced the maintanence costs are comparable...
Old 3rd October 2008, 21:13   #34
BHPian

you guys really think that a verna will be a dot!! keep dreaming.. 0-100kmph itself will be a close call between verna crdi and any stock city( in india..yes 0-100kmph the city wins for that matter!!..but post 120kmph verna DECIMMATES the city did it a lot of times there is no competetion actually!! and yes in a straight line ...its a walk in the park!... personally waiting for a ANHC to smoke it )
but the fun starts after 120kmph!! the verna pulls like a locomotive!! in 4th gear that too to a 160kmph!! did it myself and dont think of engaging the fifth gear then. the car literally takes off!! had tried it and all the trials i crossed a freaking 200kmph !! on the speedo each and every time in the L&T bypass!!.

ever heard the saying..its torque that wins races!!

here is some common sense .. torque(kg.m) gives the actual work output from an engine and guess what power(bhp) does..this is what determines how fast this work can be done.

i had a concept that diesels will be never as fast as a petrol..even now i have experienced it..the petrols just zoom off from the signal..but once i am in second gear the verna starts pulling like a bullet train!!. tried ripping in first gear itself but while shifting to second my head went and banged the headrest due to the shove!!..stopped this ever since..simple technic..be easy on first gear shift to second and hold it down..its like Nos shot in NFS..the car shoves you back and by the time you engage 4th gear the city will be a dot in the rear view mirror haha.
and all this by burning the cheaper feul and still giving a magic figure of 16kmpl in the high way.. we are talking of 0-140kmph in flat 20 secs as per speedo.

and as a matter of fact i personally think the new city wont be as safe as the 10th anniversary city vtec with abs and airbags!!..simply because the ANHC doesnt have rear disk brakes. i have seen OHC vtecs going crazy when they brake behind me from 140-160kmph!!..have been freaked out at times thinking my car will be tail gated!!.

and by the way i heard in the forum that a team-bhp member with a turbo charged city had a tough time keeping up with a stock verna!!!

i know i will get flamed!! but hey the truth is always bitter and yeah optimism is a good thing[]
Old 3rd October 2008, 21:19   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
Verna CRDI Service costs @ Trident Hyundai ( Approx)
Engine oil Change - Rs 1400 ( Synth/mineral ?)
General check up - Rs 350 (includes oil and washer fluid top up)
Water Service - Rs 350
Air Filter - Changes - Rs 450

Form whati have experienced the maintanence costs are comparable...
Verna is more expensive to service even compared to elantra or embera,culprit is the diesel filter on newer versions costs 1600bucks,this needs to be changed every 10k kms plus add around 1000bucks for oil filter,if you have get bad diesel be ready for injector cleaning regularly which is way more expensive compared to any petrol car.
Old 3rd October 2008, 21:51   #36
BHPian

i agree to that. my service is like 4k rs every 10k kms the filter is expensive yup 1600rs and a bloody 12.5% VAT for anything and everything on the bill for that matter.

my driving is very demanding changed front brake pad at 20k kms and rear just replaced today at 25k kms!! ( next time i have to change both fronty and back at 40k kms this is better )
and yes with my kind of driving the tyre life is also at 20k kms!! .

but yes i have seen that my verna is more aggresive than other crdi vernas.. this is because my ECU has adapted to my driving style...afterall its an EDC16 unit in there..this thing fine tunes injections according to driver demand hence i get less mileage ..usually in the region of 16-24kmpl depending on my driving habits..whereas a doctor from my same dealer who has a verna crdi abs usually gets 16-20kmpl in city and yes a freaking 23-28kmpl in highway traffic..but i am cool with the mileage i am getting.

and hey be carefull about the ABS unit and turbo unit ..it costs a freaking 70k rs!!!!!!!!
all you verna guys out there better get that 5yr extended warranty for 100k kms !

prevention is better than cure ryt!

i had this feeling that since this engine employs a EDC16 unit the sensors and generally all the components suited for EDC16 applications are costly!! ..my fears have been confirmed!!

the accent CRDi and elantra CRDi uses EDC15 units. the components for this generation is cheaper compared to the EDC16 generation ones.. EDC17 is freaking expensive..sonata is already present in our kormangala branch for EDC17 porting..so is the Mhawk for scorpio!! but these will be done such that minimal components are replaced...but yup it will be more expensive!!.

and yes the avante is on its way with a freaking 140ps power!! sorry torque figure i didnt ask today at service center.. but yes its the same elantra engine slightly modified .. that is weight reduction..meaning more power to weight ratio and increased mileage at same time!!

but internationally the 1.6L 112 ps unit is used..hyundai is rocking in india. bring it on..
Old 3rd October 2008, 22:57   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post
i agree to that. my service is like 4k rs every 10k kms the filter is expensive yup 1600rs and a bloody 12.5% VAT for anything and everything on the bill for that matter.

my driving is very demanding changed front brake pad at 20k kms and rear just replaced today at 25k kms!! ( next time i have to change both fronty and back at 40k kms this is better )
and yes with my kind of driving the tyre life is also at 20k kms!! .

but yes i have seen that my verna is more aggresive than other crdi vernas.. this is because my ECU has adapted to my driving style...afterall its an EDC16 unit in there..this thing fine tunes injections according to driver demand hence i get less mileage ..usually in the region of 16-24kmpl depending on my driving habits..whereas a doctor from my same dealer who has a verna crdi abs usually gets 16-20kmpl in city and yes a freaking 23-28kmpl in highway traffic..but i am cool with the mileage i am getting.

and hey be carefull about the ABS unit and turbo unit ..it costs a freaking 70k rs!!!!!!!!
all you verna guys out there better get that 5yr extended warranty for 100k kms !

prevention is better than cure ryt!
I also routinely get betwen 17 and 19 kmpl in city and between 22 to 26 kmpl on the highways at cruise speeds of well over a hundred.

My tyres were changed at 45000 kms and the front brake pads were also replaced at the same time but i see that these pads could have run for another 10000 KMS. And yes the car is already under the maximum extended warranty available for Verna CRDI which is four years or 80K KMS

@anshuman - About the fuel injector cleaning i am not sure coz i havent done it as yet from my service records as for the fuel filter it costs Rs 880 and Rs 250 Labour.

Last edited by hellstar : 3rd October 2008 at 23:10.
Old 3rd October 2008, 23:15   #38
BHPian

check up with the hyundai guys they launched a five year extended scheme for 100k kms. it was there in the news paper also.
Old 4th October 2008, 00:58   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

(
Quote:

@anshuman - About the fuel injector cleaning i am not sure coz i havent done it as yet from my service records as for the fuel filter it costs Rs 880 and Rs 250 Labour.
When i mentioned the price i did mention 'NEWER' versions,please do check with Hyundai service for the same(i have bills for the same),for everything i have mentioned i have experinced it and i have documentry evidence(bills) because a close friend owns a Verna CRDi sx ABS.
Old 4th October 2008, 09:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree that maths is extremely important here but I disagree, @ kutlee on the maintanence cost of the verna crdi , i have had my car for 46000 KMS now in the past 1.8 years and i have never had to foot a service bill bigger than 4 K.This means that my average service cost is much lesser Which is inclusive of the filter changes .

and rs 1500 for 10000 KMS for a NHC is kind of unbeliveable from where i have seen , your labour charges alone for an NHC would come to that range.
I think you missed the oil and fuel filter which are bloody costly. Out of equation. Don't think that the petrol and diesel maintenacne are comparable. Also there are other ways around for OHCs. Can take to local known garage and get serviced for real cheap (using original spares).
Since people with 'extended' warranty cannot afford to do so.

Quote:
and by the way i heard in the forum that a team-bhp member with a turbo charged city had a tough time keeping up with a stock verna!!!
i hope you liked my travelogue. there is no t-city in this discussion. lets help the owner out on his buy. I am also glad that you are happy with your car (thats the whole point of owning right)?
i have only told the 'ashwathama hatha'...i haven't written the 'Kunjara' part yet:-)

Last edited by kutlee : 4th October 2008 at 10:11.
Old 6th October 2008, 00:34   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Now when NNHC is here i would prefer the honda city(if someone else was paying for my fuel) as it has more powerful highrevving engine and will expectedly have better ride and handling.
Old 28th October 2008, 09:39   #42
BHPian

Comparing Again

Ok waited for AHC , haven't seem the car will be going after Diwali but have got not so good reviews about the interiors and i have seen people going for SX4 instead of city whereas my thoughts are that you cant compate SX4 with city(i maybe wrong ), i was comparing verna with AHC and in terms of interiors i dont see a comparision(Verna interiors are way better) now i am more confused .. please help again for choosing the car
1) Verna Diesel
Pros : Great engine , Nice interiors, Nice Mileage
Cons : No airbags,cost, No alloys
2) Verna Petrol
Pros: Nice interiors( Please add on to these)
Cons: Power not so good i have heard
3) Fiesta S
Pros: Decent Interios, Nice looks , Airbags,ABS, Alloys
Cons: Power nothing compared to Verna diesel
4) SX4
Pros: Cost
Cons: Not so great interiors

Please add on if you guys know anyother car

Sorry if i am going around the same question. I will be spending most of my saving on the new car so .. want to get the best deal
Old 28th October 2008, 10:25   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

@Gourav, dont bring other cars into the picture. Go with your heart!!!

Only my opinion, when i make up my mind/heart, i just look for excuses to go ahead with my decision ( because i know already what i want)

Since your preference in order is Power/Interiors/FE, Verna fits the bill completely ( Interiors could have been better though)

What you get if you buy the Verna? Mind boggling power without having to look hard at your fuel bills.

Do you feel guilty while revving your OHC? Rest such feelings after buying the Verna
Old 28th October 2008, 11:21   #44
BHPian

go for Verna diesel with ABS. u get torque, decent interiors, and best of all excellent FE. after a few years when u want to sell it off, it would fetch a good price (diesel FE + hyundai badge).

Fiesta diesel is good but if u ask me I'd recommend staying away from Ford.

if u can wait a couple of months, Linea would be here and I bet nothing would beat that on VFM front. you can forget Verna when Linea is here.
Old 28th October 2008, 11:39   #45
Senior - BHPian

Dude, you are wrong when you said that the power of the Fiesta S is nothing compared to Verna CRDI. It is as fast and nimble, and is far more stable at high speeds. It is also more driveable in city traffic.
Actually Verna gives you a false impression of power because it's power delivery is exponential, whereas the Fiesta 1.6 as linear power delivery. Ask other Fiesta owners in this forum.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks