Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2008, 19:54   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The latest OD report seems to reflect that...the difference between the SX4s & ANHCs mileage was only about .6 in the city. Now consider that the SX4 is riding on much fatter rubber....
I didn't read the Nov issue of OD, they have done a road test of the ANHC against the SX4, but if the difference is just .6km in city wouldn't that make the SX4 motor more frugal, considering that it runs on 205 width tyres. Wow.

On another note, I wonder why the new overdrive (Nov issue) didn't do a comparison between all the 4 cars in this segment (Fiesta 1.6 / Verna Petrol / ANHC / SX4). They seem to have restricted the TD between just the ANHC and the SX4. Gotta go and pick up a copy of it.
Old 25th October 2008, 21:21   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
.... The latest OD report seems to reflect that...the difference between the SX4s & ANHCs mileage was only about .6 in the city. Now consider that the SX4 is riding on much fatter rubber....
There goes burst another good point about the Honda City - The FE was the USP of OHC - wonder what feature or spec of the ANHC stands out in its class apart from that is is a Honda. .. yeah! 118bhp for a 1.5L engine is great and this one stands out - are they trying to redefine the values?
Old 26th October 2008, 01:30   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f50xj13 View Post
hi,
only one point, please recommend a better car in this class without any of the defects you have so nicely pointed out. there will be none which is why Honda sells cars at a premium and gets away with it.
regards,
Hi,

I agree with you, however, only to an extent. See the "perfect" car in this segment is yet to arrive. ANHC could have been good had it been 50k to 75k cheaper than the current price.

When we can buy a car with All of ANHC plus cllimate control AND fattter rubber with 16 inch alloy at a price that is full 1 lac cheaper, how can we let honda "get away with it"? Needless to mention the cheaper maintainance cost and Maruti A*S*S

Its time to tell them mate, be fair to the consumer or perish! Why didn't they bring those fab alloys & CC to India right away unlike the Thai version??? These guys are forever taking the Indian Customer for a ride mate... It is time to give them a befitting reply.

I read the comparison in Nov OD and they say difference between the two cars is only wafer thin on any paramater. Both have been given a 4 star rating. With a 47k discount, SX4 ZXI is coming at 7,39,000 on OTR in Delhi!

Can you recommend a better package ?
Old 26th October 2008, 15:02   #64
BHPian

ANHC - Performance

Picked up the latest issue of OD yesterday. The much touted fuel effeciency and power of ANHC has gone phut, if this magazine is to be believed. I am quoting the performance figures here.

Please comment:
Attached Thumbnails
SX4 OR New Honda City 2008-performance.png  

Old 27th October 2008, 17:05   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I am a little dumb founded here to find out that SX4 rules over ANHC. I mean get REAL! (no offence meant). Its not the features that make a car, its the engine, the chasis and looks that make a car. The features are the goodies you put on top.

SX4 is a mediocre car with lots of goodies thrown in. But the car itself is quite average. The interiors are drab and lifted from Swift. The same steering can be found all the way to Wagon R. For the car of its weight, its underpowered. The 0-100 speaks for itself. The engine is fairly noisy at high revs. No rear disc. Quite poor fit and finish on interiors like all Maruti products. Very uncomfortable fifth passenger middle seat. A engine that comes without VTec only in India (resulting in 6 less horses). If you read independent reviews of SX4 sold in Europe, you would find they state that the engine is underpowered and coarse. That is with 107 horses and the Indian model only has 100. Last but not the least, the FE is nothing to write home about. But with tons of features. Like a not so good looking girl in an expensive designer bikini (topping - meant avg car with good features). If the girl itself is ugly, would we guys still marry/date the girl because of the bikini?

ANHC on the contrary has the same engine thats available in other Asian countries. The highest power in class, even exceeding Cedia for that matter. All 4 wheel disc brake with ABS and Airbags standard across all variants. An option of 5 speed automatic with paddle shift, the only other car to have this feature is Honda Civic which sells for 13 big ones. The steering is lifted from a car in higher segment (Civic). The FE would more than likely be higher than SX4. The quality and refinement of Honda engine is a testament in itself. In addition the interiors of Honda are miles apart in finishing compared to any Maruti product. Back that up with the fact that its a brand new model which will have no changes for next 3 years, and the fact that SX4 is due for a minor light and grill change. You now have a hot girl in a good non designer bikini (meant great car with decent features).

Which girl would you choose to marry? Bottom line being, we marry the girl for who she is, she wears good designer clothes thats a plus, but we dont marry a not so good girl just caz she wears designer clothes.

Well i think u need to be dumb founded more

1. I think u are confusing SX4 with Dzire when u speak of similarity with Swift interiors.

2. think all of us are waiting to see a wagon R steering with audio control, even without it rest assured its not the same wheel

3. SX4 with less power pretty much matches 0-100 of NHC. and is faster than NHC on 0-60.

4. NHC too does not have disc brakes on the rear

5. Check up the FE figures in Nov. OD u'll see that city FE is history (we'll wait for it to repeat itself) and there is no diff. between the 2.

6. Now add up all features and substract the 1 lac price difference

If u are not dumbfounded you are du..

as for the girl analogy, gotta give it to u casue SX4's no girl, its a man and men are not cute
Old 27th October 2008, 17:07   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayaksudhir View Post
Picked up the latest issue of OD yesterday. The much touted fuel effeciency and power of ANHC has gone phut, if this magazine is to be believed. I am quoting the performance figures here.

Please comment:
I agree to u whole heartedly. I have been wasting my time waiting for NHC, SX4 is the buy.

Honda don't take us for granted.
Old 27th October 2008, 17:26   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by f50xj13 View Post
hi,
only one point, please recommend a better car in this class without any of the defects you have so nicely pointed out. there will be none which is why Honda sells cars at a premium and gets away with it.
regards,

I have driven an SX4 on the 'Raid De Himalaya' (Himalyan car rally) on their extreme route, as an official vehicle. I can tell u its a dream. There's a strech called More Plains. I can tell u Gypsy guys would have lusted to do that strech on an SX4. And all this while guys in the back seat had nothing to complain.

When u get there u realise that there's a lot of places in this country that a City would never see and vice versa.
Old 27th October 2008, 18:30   #68
BHPian

Guys, just chuck this debate over these drab cars, City & SX4. Just test drive new Cedia Sports and then decide. It is priced at par with City with so much more that it offers in comparison to the two.

If you have any perception of Mitsubishi service and spares parts, I must say they are better off than Maruti and Honda.
Old 27th October 2008, 18:42   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat View Post
Guys, just chuck this debate over these drab cars, City & SX4. Just test drive new Cedia Sports and then decide. It is priced at par with City with so much more that it offers in comparison to the two.

If you have any perception of Mitsubishi service and spares parts, I must say they are better off than Maruti and Honda.
Fully agree! Few horses more or less hardly matters - ultimately how it behaves is what matters which one can feel when you are at the wheel.
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:32   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitsank View Post
have been under immense pressure on deciding to buy a sedan. I just recently sold my Santro and is stuck with the inability to take a decision.

The pain is so much so that there is only one place I can turn to for help that is the TBHpian's.

I hope in next two days I would be able to make a decision with your help.

The decision is between SX4 and NHC2008. I have been a big fan of SX4, simply because the size, height, tyre size, room, safety features, VFM, spare parts, service etc.

I had been to Bangkok last week and happened to run into a road show of Honda where the NHC2008 was on display and that is when my head started reeling. The car looks fabulous. In India one does not get alloy wheels etc and price is about a Rs. 1.50 lakh more thank an SX4 with discount.

My worry is that is it worth the Rs.1.50 extra and the waiting period. The way things look I probably would not get NHC2008 until first week of december even if I choose on NHC2008.

Could you all help me make this extremely painful decision.

Regards,

Ajit

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags. Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.

Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support Staff

Dear Ajit,

eventually it's a car that u'll pay for and u'll live with so u have to comfortable with the choice u make.

But here's my 2 bits.

take a hypothetical situation. If today u had a 5 sec. window to choose a car or lose ur cash forever, which car would u name.

I would name SX4. My guess is most of us would. Because there is notthing wrong with the car (sure it can improve, but so can phantom) and many things are actually very delightful .

On the other hand there is a niggling doubt and lack of 'wow' when it comes to NHC. And not just becasue its new, but the honest truth is that its failed to impress on 1st glance. And when one pays 9L+ for a car it better impress on 1st experience

The reality is that its Honda so we 'want' it to be good. On the other hand, if SX4 was not a stunner in 1st interaction no one would have given it a second thought.

In the end we have a 1 year old SX4 that you can't put down and a brand new city, designed to counter SX4 and not doing a convincing job of that, and hence not something u can pick up without any hesitation.

The choice is clear. there really is no debate. and we haven't even talked price.

enjoy ur car.
Old 3rd November 2008, 21:31   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat View Post

hi,
After trying to sell its cars at a high cost and failing on the sales/service/spares front mitsubishi is forced to sell its cars at such low prices. The Hindustan Motors alliance has spoilt the name of mitsubishi in India.
And this comment is coming from a die hard mitsubishi fan > be it the evo series lancers or the Paris Dakar winning pajeros.
Old 3rd November 2008, 23:34   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayaksudhir View Post
Hi Guys,
  1. The rear seat is totally cramped and knee room is minimal. Plus the foot space under the front seat is sloped which can be good for a person with japanese dimensions, however a 6 footer has no space to park his feet while in the rear seat.
    One unusual thing I noticed is the knee room which is not more than 6 inches. This is still ok,
  2. but when I opened the engine hood I was shocked to see almost 1 foot free space between the engine and the radiator/bumper! ! ! Can honda please explain this? One small dog can easily sleep in this space!
  3. I am unable to understand why 6 inches knee room for rear passanger and 1 foot free space under the hood. BHPians must have a look at this aspect and enlighten us
  4. The finish quality, especially in hidden places (boot closing lines, fender welding) reeks of mediocrity not expected in a 9 lac rupee car. Your comments on this please...
Apart from this standard observations (lack of alloys, Low GC) etc I dont want to include here but the car overall was a damp squib.

Sudhir
1 ) This could be because of the low rear seat. I am 5'10", but hefty ( 92 kg ), and I am having trouble getting in and out of G1HC and also upto some extent, our Baleno. The low rear seat in G1HC and Accent are very, very uncomfortable for me. The culprit here is the low rear seat IMHO.
Also you have mentioned the slope. The slope is there to accomodate the fuel tank i.e. under the front seat. Honda did not innovate this method of accomodating the fuel tank under the front seat since G2HC, but infact the Mitsubishi lancer ( the one with which Mitusbishi made an entry with 1.5 ltr petrol engine and 2.0 ltr diesel motor ) also has fuel tank under the front seats and is low slung car but this issue is not present. I wonder what is up with Honda .

2 and 3 ) In europe and other relatively developed markets, the long front overhang is required to meet pedestrian safety norms. So there is front overhang that is relatively more as compared to G1Hc and G2HC. If the engine is mounted a bit ahead to utilize the free space, then this can disturn the balance of car as the major weight of engine wont be approximatley over the axle, but much ahead of that. This can affect handling for the worse and will make the car feel nose heavy.

4) I am yet to see the car properly but then if this is true, surely Honda has started acting bad. The low rear seat and interiors are enough to keep customers away. For Rs. 9 lakh in India, people are expecting luxury car but if these are reality, the overconfidence of Honda will soon teach them a lesson.
Old 4th November 2008, 22:28   #73
BHPian

I was pretty surprised to read the latest OD report on SX4 and the City.

The one thing that people who got into my car (SX4) almost always said when I went fast was that NHC was much more smoother in comparison to SX4. Now comes the G3HC. OD actually calls SX4 'queit' for the most part, with less NVH, while they say G3HC is 'noisy'. Pretty surprising, the changes between NHC and G3HC. And of course, OD makes it clear that the G3HC's engine doesn't contribute to the marginally higher speed/FE compared to SX4, but it rather attains it by virtue of it's lesser weight and smaller tyres.

NHC's primary selling points were FE, refinement and interiors - and they seem to have done away with all these in G3HC for a clear fight against SX4. Wonder what Honda would've come up with if SX4 hadn't been in the picture!
Old 4th November 2008, 23:17   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetnaz View Post

1) I was pretty surprised to read the latest OD report on SX4 and the City.

2) The one thing that people who got into my car (SX4) almost always said when I went fast was that NHC was much more smoother in comparison to SX4. Now comes the G3HC. OD actually calls SX4 'queit' for the most part, with less NVH, while they say G3HC is 'noisy'. Pretty surprising, the changes between NHC and G3HC. And of course, OD makes it clear that the G3HC's engine doesn't contribute to the marginally higher speed/FE compared to SX4, but it rather attains it by virtue of it's lesser weight and smaller tyres.

3)NHC's primary selling points were FE, refinement and interiors - and they seem to have done away with all these in G3HC for a clear fight against SX4. Wonder what Honda would've come up with if SX4 hadn't been in the picture!
1) Although not a comparison test, the G3HC test of AutoCar India (ACI ) also says that the City's motor is not very refined as it was in the high rpm range. I was shocked to see this. Its not able to free revv as Civic is very well understood, but this was shocking.

2) I agree with OD. I was expecting much better performance, even better than the G1HC VTEC ( real soul VTEC, despite SOHC ), but it was not so. I initially after looking at G3HC's specs thought that Suzuki has lost edge as far as powerplants go, but after reading the tests, my thought changed. SX4 despite being more unaerodynamic, heavy and with larger footwear still manages good performance. But I think that G3HC must be a bit more refined that SX4.
May be our expectations from G3HC are much more.
But the real praise must be for Suzuki here.

3) Interiors are the most shocking part of G3HC, specially after the Civic. I cant image what would be the product if SX4 wont be in the market.
Old 4th November 2008, 23:49   #75
BHPian

Sad but True - IMO The ANHC is kinda overrated after all. I was at Honda on monday, and they had one on display! It looks great but you wonder if there is something missing. The space - i wish they swapped the 1ft extra space under the hood for more room inside. The engine - ivetc shouldn't jus be for brand recall (vtec-will resound in anybody ears) !! but should be intelligent
FE - are they compareing it to the Accord ?
I sincerely hope that we are all wrong and this car will kick some dust - but I also hope that I'm not sincerely wrong!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks