Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2008, 22:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

just remember one thing with Superb, if the Octy, Laura are troublesome to own (relative to the Jap counterparts), you can imagine how the Superb will serve you.
Old 25th October 2008, 15:19   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Shatrughna, why don't you double your desire for cylinders with a V12 ? This weeks zigwheels (TOI supplement) has a W140 S600 V12 for sale. 400 horses...could easily fetch for about the same money (or less). However, it will kill you in upkeep. Not bad as a lusty weekend mistress. Test it, if for nothing more than a joy ride.

Between the two in your post, my pick would be the Accord V6. Buying used comes with its own set of risks, I'd pick the more reliable option.
Old 27th October 2008, 09:31   #18
BHPian

i would say that if you intend to use the car only on weekends and for tours, outstation trips you go for the accord
the accord is a great comfortable car, would fetch higher resale and does not matter to maintenance as it would be rarely used and as a second car so fuel bills can be dealt to pleasure.
as regars to skoda it is bulit like a tank, accord would be prone to minor rattles, but just do not expect any rattle in any skoda ab=nd through my uncles reference it is a great car to drive on the highway, ride id good and is a segment gigher than accord
this in turn would give you more snob value, more status compared to an honda.
I would have done in for the accord and the monet i would save on the price compared to superb would be used for the fuel bills and any other maintenance concern,
it is a matter of choice, if you want snob value and performance- superb ideal choice,
but if only purely performance - accord is better
sorry for such a long reply but just my 2 cent
Old 27th October 2008, 14:32   #19
BHPian

Dear friends, thanks a ton for all your thoughts and opinions. At least now I know what to look for . I have collected all the last 4 supplements of zigwheels and have a number of V6 Accords and 2.5 TDI Superb on the list.

After reading your comments- I agree that Accord makes more sense to me as I ll be using it as a second car only for weekends. A petrol engine will need less maintenance and equally important is that its initial purchase cost will be less than that of Superb( approx. 10 lakhs for 2005 versus approx 15 lakhs 2005- though quoted 15.5lakhs).

@ GTO Happy to read your suggestions for a V12! sure why not - when TBHP will have its own garage / workshop to maintain it and hopefully , I ll also get used to more power with a V6 as so far never drove anything more than 140 horses.

OT - what happened to the plans for a workshop/ garage which some TBHPians had planned - years back when they shared their dreams of owning one.
Old 6th November 2008, 11:57   #20
BHPian

Used Accord V6 or Laura AT

I am getting an Accord V6 - Golden biege -2004 mfd, done 40K kms, asking for 9 Lakhs. Please, suggest what should be my offer.

Another option is Laura AT 2006- Silver- done 48K kms- second owner- askign 11Lakhs.

Will appreciate if you all could share your views. I am pretty absoluetly confused. If I buy Laura- it will be my daily usage car- if I buy Accord- I will use only on weekends( of course due to running cost).

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th November 2008, 12:50   #21
evo
BHPian

Accord 2004 that too in gold should be no more than 7 Lakh in Kolkata. Even if Bombay is 10% more expensive, 9 l is crazy.

Laura, second owner!! I suggest stay away unless you are totally totally sure.

Btw Carwale shows mumbai pricing of 11.70 L for laura with your specifications.
However, that is not considering 2 owners.

Last edited by evo : 6th November 2008 at 13:02. Reason: Added Used Car Value
Old 6th November 2008, 12:54   #22
BHPian

Well, that depends. Do you already have another car for daily use? If not, then the Laura would make great sense, as it is a sufficiently powerful for city use, and gives great mileage. Not to mention a killer DSG! It, however is nowhere as involving as The V6 Accord, nor is it as driver centric, in terms of power output and steering feel.

So first understand the purpose of your purchase. IMO, for daily use, pick up a smaller more fuel efficient car, and buy yourself an Accord (since that's what you've settled for) for weekend driving, since you're open the idea of that.
Old 6th November 2008, 14:08   #23
BHPian

Thanks EVO & Nitronium. I have a Verna VGT and Santro AT apart from Scoprio Mhawk. If I buy Laura- I can dispose Santro & Verna. If I buy Accord then I can only dispose either of them as for office commute I would prefer Santro AT or Verna for saving on running cost. Scorpio as of now I have decided to keep for sometime. I am bored with Santro's sluggish performance and Manual tranny- clutch in Verna in city commute. Hence looking for an AT with better performance. Only hitch is that accord has too huge running cost - while Laura has potentially killer maintenance costs. In terms of performance of Verna - I guess only Accord can beat it but Laura if well maintained and in good condition - should nt be a problem.

I have offered the used car dealer 7 lakhs for Accord V6. What should I quote for Laura? he is already quoting 11 lakhs which is as much as suggested price on carwale.com plus he is offering 6 months warranty. should I go for it?
Old 6th November 2008, 17:23   #24
evo
BHPian

Aha, reading about all your needs, I think that the Laura is more suited to your use, but remember that maintenance will be a bomb, so you better look for an independent garage to get your stuff done.

The carwale suggested price is keeping in mind one owner. Two owners dramatically changes things IMO. Please look for more Lauras as I think that you can get a clean car, about 2 years old for 9.5-11 lakh.

However, if you are keener on the Accord then note that in case you already pay Rs.400,000 below the Laura, your running costs are somewhat offset by the Rs.48,000 per year (@12% interest) that you will save. Couple that with lower maintenance cost and better resale value and you will see that it may not be so bad after all!

Ofcourse I dont know how much you drive on a day to day basis to comment on actual difference figures.

Cheers
Old 6th November 2008, 18:28   #25
BHPian

Evo has a good point. While running costs will be miserable with the Accord, you're paying a lot less for a lot more car!
You already have a Santro and a Verna, two very fuel efficient cars. So the sprint to office and back will be taken care of by either one i'm assuming? So for pure driving pleasure, don't compromise on the gem of an engine the Honda has.

You have strongly stated that you want an automatic in the city though. This brings us to a crossroad: you can get the Laura, which is fuel efficient and has has the DSG, OR you can pay less, live with pushing that clutch and enjoy the V6.
Old 6th November 2008, 20:31   #26
BHPian

Before you make a decision take a look at both cars. I have a 2.5 V6 TDI(black) and it is complete value for money. Comfort wise i feel it easily beats even my e class. Has very good power if driven in triptronic. You can to 0-100 in 8 seconds(triptronic). The best part is when you are above 100 you can really feel the power. Even if it is driven by the owner i am sure he/she will enjoy it.It easily matches the quality of a Merc,BMW or Audi. The only problem are tires.They do not provide enough grip. So if you buy a Superb than you have to change the tires to something like Pirelli or Yokohama(which ever comes in your budget).
Old 6th November 2008, 21:37   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
You have strongly stated that you want an automatic in the city though. This brings us to a crossroad: you can get the Laura, which is fuel efficient and has has the DSG, OR you can pay less, live with pushing that clutch and enjoy the V6.
the v6 is a slushbox too. if only it were available in a manual guise.
Old 6th November 2008, 21:48   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
the v6 is a slushbox too. if only it were available in a manual guise.
I meant that he can live with pushing the clutch of the manual day to day car , i.e. the Verna or the Santro
Old 6th November 2008, 21:54   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
I meant that he can live with pushing the clutch of the manual day to day car , i.e. the Verna or the Santro

oops my bad.

dude id suggest the v6. nothing like it even if you use it only on weekends. im sure youll start using it everyday too.
Old 7th November 2008, 13:32   #30
evo
BHPian

@akshay, how I wish that they give us a v6 with 6 speed manual and decent suspension!!

Even in case he uses the accord as a daily driver, he`ll still have Rs.48000 per year or Rs.4000 per month extra to spend on fuel, and he gets a car with a lot more space, much higher reliability and much cheaper spares. Not to mention that Honda will have more service centres than Skoda.

However, in case you`ll really sell off your verna and santro after the laura, the 4 lakh penalty is no longer a hindrance!

Somehow I think if your (daily) running isnt above 20k km annually, its not going to make sense (from purely an economic view) to buy the laura.

I suggest buy a Honda, buy it black!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks