Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2009, 09:25   #61
Senior - BHPian

I think after reading this thread, loving_aalap's friend would have cancelled his plans of buying a new car.
Old 9th April 2009, 10:16   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veishal View Post
And since when did we start comparing a donkey and horse on performance and looks.

The LINEA like everywhere else in the world would be superlative if it had the 1.9 L D instead of the offered 1.3 L. 24 BHP of difference in power and almost a similar price is too much to accept and compromise.

I am not anti fiat because what they make is certainly unbeatable. But what they offer here is unacceptable. Imagine they could offer a naturally aspirated 1.7 D in the fiat UNO in 2001 and are offering a 1.3 L TDI in 2009.

Struggling to reach speeds of 100kms would not really leave much room to admire your interiors.

KUCH to SONCHO.
First, Linea internationally is available with the same 1248cc diesel and 77bhp and 120 bhp 1.4L petrol engines.

Second, cars are not priced according to power. Take Ford Fiesta diesel, NHC, Octavia diesel as example. All have very less power.

Third, who said that Linea struggles to reach 100 Kmph? It is not a rocket, but it pulls cleanly till 165 Kmph.

Fourth, what sells is a good package and 90bhp for Linea is not great but good enough. Look at the package.

Fifth, if you don't know much about cars and its market, you should refrain from giving opinions.
Old 9th April 2009, 10:35   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
I think after reading this thread, loving_aalap's friend would have cancelled his plans of buying a new car.
Friend - that's too good, A Real good one. I couldn't stop laughing for a few minutes
Old 9th April 2009, 11:30   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
give them credit where it's due, rather than taking random potshots.

@SS-Traveller, if you are still hell bent on comparing Palio-D and Verna-D spares instead of Linea-D and Verna-D spares, I've nothing to add here.
Hi RX135: I am not hell bent on anything, and I have not taken any random potshots against Fiat at all. I have specified two points that beg to be answered, and you continue to post personally offensive comments and smart sentences.
Quote:
I would be happy if members desist from making personal assaults.
Please answer the two points I have raised in a convincing manner, and I shall be greatly obliged.
First:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller;
The same engine in the Swift is recommended by Maruti to be serviced at 10k km intervals. So also the Indica Vista QJ and Palio MJD, I believe. And Linea's recommendation is for 15K km. This cannot be justified without an increase in wear-and-tear on the engine and resultant reduction in engine life, which in any case is doing a lot more work in the Linea than in the Swift.
@ extreme_torque: Fiat does not use synthetic oil in Linea's engine. Confirmed that with a Tata service centre.

and second:
the pricing of the same timing belt being double in the Palio compared to the Linea
Quote:
Since the Palio MJD and Linea D share the same engine, I have been wondering why the same part of the same engine should cost about half
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Fifth, if you don't know much about cars and its market, you should refrain from giving opinions.
@ opendro: On this forum, we presume all members "know much about cars", and are entitled to their own opinions. Once again, no personal attacks please.
Old 9th April 2009, 11:50   #65
Senior - BHPian

I also heard Fiat has instructed to use Synthetic engine Oil for Linea.

Can the Linea owners confirm this?
Old 9th April 2009, 13:10   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post

Loving_aalap
I would still suggest your friend to calculate again. As I understand, his monthly running is around 1700 km & he has a budget for C seg Diesel car (not the higher variant) i.e. around 7.75 to 8 Lacs

Petrol: 1700 km/11 FE = 154 litres * Rs. 44.55 = Rs. 6885/month
Diesel: 1700 km/14 FE = 121 litres * Rs. 34.45 = Rs. 4168/month

i.e. difference of Rs. 2716/month savings

Against this saving, diesel car price is say higher by 1.20 Lacs than petrol car. After 4 yrs this addl "investment" of 1.20 Lacs will become 1.75 Lacs @ 10% compunded interest. To cover this cost of 1.75 Lacs, it would have taken 64 months (Rs. 1.75 Lacs/ Rs. 2716 per month saving) to breakeven i.e. he will cover addl cost of diesel engine in 5 years & 4 months. After 5 yrs in all probability, he would change the car anyways so why not to enjoy Petrol ride?

Within his budget of "not-top line diesel" variant, he can get a top of the line variant of Petrol sedan (not sure about verna top variant which is costlier).

Reg Airbags also, see we won't need it, probably will never need it (pray). But its like just in case___ . Like an Insurance, but better than Insurance as Insurance is not a preventive/precaution (still we all have insurance, right?) but Airbag is a precaution & a preventive measure, you know just in case__. & unlike insurance, the payout is not every year but one-off.
Brilliant calculation.

But may be atypical mind set, that even if you pay high at once, you are pay less thereafter, so my friend will never buy a petrol

Any way, kind of unexpected talk on the thread is going on.

Meanwhile, my friend might go for a Base or a middle one of Linea.
Verna is almost out (may be because of looks & price), that's what I think so.

My friend just want to confirm the reliability of *** of Linea.
Old 9th April 2009, 13:17   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
@ extreme_torque: Fiat does not use synthetic oil in Linea's engine. Confirmed that with a Tata service centre.
There is no other way Fiat can quote a 15k service interval in Indian conditions. I think we need to clarify this from Fiat itself rather than any dealer.
Old 9th April 2009, 13:27   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Brilliant calculation.
Well, I'm a Gujju and a Banker at that

Quote:
My friend just want to confirm the reliability of *** of Linea.
I checked with some palio users, Dealerships, visited a few service stations & also wrote to Rajiv Kapoor, Fiat CEO. While I got assurances & also few tbhp threads shown visible change in Tata-Fiat service, I still take it as a calculated risk & have butterflies in my stomach. However, on worst case scenario, I thought its better to be unhappy for 7-15 days (when car is at service station) rathern than remaining 355-360 days of the year (when I'm driving the car)
Old 9th April 2009, 13:48   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
There is no other way Fiat can quote a 15k service interval in Indian conditions. I think we need to clarify this from Fiat itself rather than any dealer.
I have read the warranty and service manual for Linea. It is 15 Mm (15000 Km). That is right. 30,000 Km for every service or oil change (,which Linea's diesel engine is designed for,) would be too much for Indian conditions.
Old 9th April 2009, 13:53   #70
BANNED

If you want diesel, go for Verna.
If it's petrol that gives the kick, then Honda City.
Stay away from the Linea!
Old 9th April 2009, 13:53   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Well, I'm a Gujju and a Banker at that

However, on worst case scenario, I thought its better to be unhappy for 7-15 days (when car is at service station) rather thern than remaining 355-360 days of the year (when I'm driving the car)
Gujju rocks

nice quote.
Old 9th April 2009, 15:55   #72
BHPian

FE of Linea and Verna

Dear all,

Can you please let me know about the FE of Linea MJD and Verna both in the city and on highways?
Old 14th April 2009, 17:32   #73
BHPian

ive been away from this thread for a while... but whoa... look at the developments. people are questioning the accuracy of the manufacturers data. a bit unreal in my opinion.

well i have not checked whether the service interval is at 15K kms. but going by Finneys question if fiat is asking A S S to use only synthetic oil then it makes sense. but really why is this a doubt in the 1st place. if a manufacturer recommends a service once in 15 k kms, they surely are putting a lot on the line. considerin its fiat all the more, they are trying hard to win back customers and surely will not feed us with false data and false hopes.

we argued over this and it is agreed here that fiat linea is a little low on power but better on all other fronts; also since "the friend" in question is not very performance oriented. the linea is a good buy for him.

i have sat through a presentation of Concorde motors in bangalore about how they want to take forward the fiat ownership and both finney and me are quite satisfied with their enthusiasm to improve the poor reputation of A S S for fiat owners. also fiat has made an effort to reduce to cost of spares and this would be great news for all aspiring linea owners.

good luck to the friend, and tell him the linea is a great buy.
Old 24th April 2009, 15:00   #74
BHPian

update,

My friend just booked the basic version of Linea 1.3MJD, white color.

3 cheers to that.
Old 24th April 2009, 15:29   #75
BHPian

Quote:
update,

My friend just booked the basic version of Linea 1.3MJD, white color.

3 cheers to that.
Congrats to your friend. At that price point, it is no doubt a good value.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks