Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2009, 17:13   #1
BHPian

If Airbags is not an issue, which diesel to go? Linea or Verna?

Dear all,

One of my friend is searching for a new diesel sedan.

Obviously the two choice is Verna & Linea.

Verna:

Pros: proven, excellent engine, good space, reliability & *** of Hyundai
Cons: Looks dated, less gizmos

Linea:

Pros: A new car, looks great, more gizmos (though not much with middle version), more FE?

Cons: untested, a fiat (problematic ***), engine less powerful, initial turbo lag? (pain while driving in city), rear seat head space

Many of BHPians have agreed that, Verna is a nice car, but because lack of Airbags & safety features, they have gone for other cars.

My friend has a limited budget, so he can opt either middle level Verna or Linea.

So, guys please suggests which one to go?
Old 6th April 2009, 17:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

@loving_alaap: What are his requirements? Both these cars cater to different needs. Also, why not look at the fiesta ZXi, terrific VFM now with the ABS.
Old 6th April 2009, 17:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Verna all the way

If Airbags is not an issue, ask your friend to close his eyes and plonk for the Verna.

I recently drove the Linea diesel. While the interiors and the exterior looks are to die for, the engine clearly felt underpowered (I own a Verna myself, remember?). Plus Linea was a long car, and I was constantly conscious of the length while traversing mad Kolkata traffic.

Considering you live in Ahmedabad (I've lived there for 2 years, and think it has the most unruly traffic of all Indian cities), go for the Verna. It will be easier to pilot in Ahd traffic, given its short overhangs. Plus your friend can have fun ripping it on the Ahd-Baroda expressway!
Old 6th April 2009, 17:24   #4
BHPian

Mainly for city driving, daily 25-30 KM (traffic in Ahmedabad is not that painful) with few highway trips (100km once, twice weekly).

Usually drives alone in city, but on highway, 3-4 people with few goods in boot.

He somehow doesn't like fiesta, so only two options left.
Old 6th April 2009, 18:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

That's where the Verna might be a problem. In the city, due to turbo-lag, I am not sure if he'll be able to enjoy the engine. Ask him to drive the fiesta once and see if he still wants another car.
Old 6th April 2009, 18:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

@Lamborghini - There is no turbo lag on the Verna whatsoever. Thats why its called a "Variable Geometry" Turbo - to spool up and provide power even at lower engine speeds! And I can vouch for this from personal experience.

@Aalap - Sorry if my comment about Ahmedabad traffic sounded insulting. Was just giving a personal opinion.
Old 6th April 2009, 18:40   #7
BHPian

No need to say sorry man, we all are friends...

Rule wise I dont know , but the congestion wise it is much easier to drive in Ahmedabad compare to Mumbai, Bangalore etc...

Lamborghini: He doesn't like the looks of Fiesta (jut hate it, strongly he says no to it), may be a personal problem!!!, so Fiesta is out straight away.

Last edited by loving_alaap : 6th April 2009 at 18:42.
Old 6th April 2009, 18:46   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
If Airbags is not an issue, ask your friend to close his eyes and plonk for the Verna.
+1000 to that. PW, you forgot the price comparison between a Verna's and a Linea's spares & consumables. Servicing the Verna will be so much less painful on the wallet. And remember I've got a Viva CRDi too - comparable service costs vs. a Verna!

OT: PW, did you make that CCU-DEL-CCU trip by road last month? Some details please.
Old 6th April 2009, 19:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
you forgot the price comparison between a Verna's and a Linea's spares & consumables. Servicing the Verna will be so much less painful on the wallet.
There you go Aalap, another well-informed difference between the 2 cars.

Doc, have sent you a PM.
Old 7th April 2009, 10:35   #10
BHPian

Predatorwheelz, not got the PM yet.
Old 7th April 2009, 10:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Predatorwheelz, not got the PM yet.
Dude, I sent the PM to SS Traveller. He's a doctor, that's why my line said "Doc, have sent you a PM"

Jokes apart, I would be happy to help in case you need any specific advice from me - as many times as you wish.
Old 7th April 2009, 11:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Dude, I sent the PM to SS Traveller. He's a doctor, that's why my line said "Doc, have sent you a PM"

Jokes apart, I would be happy to help in case you need any specific advice from me - as many times as you wish.
Check my profile, I am a doc too

Thats why misunderstanding...
Old 7th April 2009, 11:21   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Check my profile, I am a doc too

Thats why misunderstanding...
Hi loving_alaap: From one doc to another, yes I got PW's PM... . But I'd definitely suggest the Verna if you/your friend are not bothered about a lack of airbags. Also, why buy a heavier, bigger car with a smaller engine, which is is more expensive to maintain and less fun to drive?
Old 7th April 2009, 12:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There you go Aalap, another well-informed difference between the 2 cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
PW, you forgot the price comparison between a Verna's and a Linea's spares & consumables. Servicing the Verna will be so much less painful on the wallet.
Are you sure that it is well informed difference? From what I have come across so far, Linea has cheapest spares in its category (closest to Linea being SX4 and most expensive being AHNC). Add to it longer service interval for Linea and higher FE. Anyway, if you like to win straight line drag race, go for Verna.
Old 7th April 2009, 12:28   #15
BHPian

As far as engine goes, yes the verna makes good sense.

but on most other parameters i think the linea wins outright. the sheer presense makes you believe you are not in a car worth 8 odd lakhs but in a car worth a lot lot more money.

the ride quality of the linea like all other fiats its truly incredible. Topgear magazine India test drove the fiesta and the linea in the march edition, and they clearly have mentioned that the linea gives the ford a very very very good run for its money in the handling department, which is a big compliment as well all know how well the ford handles.

I doubt someone would be looking to use all the 100 odd horses of the verna all the time, i think the concept of performance in cars in that segment is overrated. The difference is all of a few BHP. yes on the highway it will matter, but when it comes to doing the daily routine of drive to work, evening with family, drop the kids to school i would surely not mind settling for a car that lacks a little in performance but makes up in all other departments.

we recently had a fiat meet where i sat through a presentation of concorde motors (tata-fiat) alliance, and the sheer emphasis fiat is laying on improving its A.S.S is incredible. ive owned 2 fiats for the last 8 years, and living with a Fiat is not as big a hassle as most proclaim it to be. yes we have heard horror stories of their Service facilities but we have also heard the same about Skoda, the same about ford, the same about toyota.

so i would recommend to your friend a fiat linea over the verna, id rather drive around feeling a million bucks than drive around a twitchy car aiming at the next tree to park its 100 odd horses.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks