Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2009, 13:59   #1
D-Man

Ford Ikon?

** Some may pronounce me weird but i dont know why i have started to like the Ford Icon specially black one petrol variant. I never usually buy diesel. Please advice. Below are my reqs:
1. Can't Stand Hatchback & Diesel
2. I travel around 3000 Plus kms (mostly weekend trips) a month
3. I need a sedan
4. Safety is a concern
5. Budget is a constraint for now (As I am not getting loans since I just came to India)

I am thinking Black Icon with some nice rubber on it. Please suggest!!

Thanks in Advance

Old 9th May 2009, 14:59   #2
BHPian

3000 Km in a month desperately calls for a diesel. And it's Ikon, not Icon. Test drive both the diesel and perol variants of the ikon and decide which suits you more. Remember, 36,000 km every year means spending 60-70,000 Rs. extra every year on fuel if you chose the petrol variant over the diesel, so you will recover the extra cost of buying a diesel within an year. Having said that, I too am a petrol head and if I had to buy an Ikon again, I would probably go in for a petrol.
Old 9th May 2009, 15:32   #3
D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
3000 Km in a month desperately calls for a diesel. And it's Ikon, not Icon. Test drive both the diesel and perol variants of the ikon and decide which suits you more. Remember, 36,000 km every year means spending 60-70,000 Rs. extra every year on fuel if you chose the petrol variant over the diesel, so you will recover the extra cost of buying a diesel within an year. Having said that, I too am a petrol head and if I had to buy an Ikon again, I would probably go in for a petrol.
Gosh me and my typos i did feel i was typing some wrong. Thanks. Actually this was the first thing i did after i woke up. I hate diesel and i wont goto diesel to save money plus i forgot to add i shall not use the car more than a year.

Old 9th May 2009, 15:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
** Some may pronounce me weird but i dont know why i have started to like the Ford Icon specially black one petrol variant. I never usually buy diesel. Please advice. Below are my reqs:
1. Can't Stand Hatchback & Diesel
2. I travel around 3000 Plus kms (mostly weekend trips) a month
3. I need a sedan
4. Safety is a concern
5. Budget is a constraint for now (As I am not getting loans since I just came to India)

I am thinking Black Icon with some nice rubber on it. Please suggest!!

Thanks in Advance
Whats your budget in monetary terms? In the range of Ikon you can also consider Hyundai Accent Executive which is a nice machine in every aspect you have mentioned IMHO.
Just noticed that you are from Chandigarh. You can also consider an LPG fitted variant in Hyundai, given your extensive travelling.

Last edited by santsharan : 9th May 2009 at 15:51. Reason: Missed a point
Old 9th May 2009, 15:57   #5
D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by santsharan View Post
Whats your budget in monetary terms? In the range of Ikon you can also consider Hyundai Accent Executive which is a nice machine in every aspect you have mentioned IMHO.
Just noticed that you are from Chandigarh. You can also consider an LPG fitted variant in Hyundai, given your extensive travelling.
thanks Santsharan, its 5L for now because that is the best loan i can get. ill be having more cash by end of the year since I am in the migration mode. Actually I was very close to working on the accent executive but i question the safety in Accent. Ofcourse Ikon does not have ABS & ABs. To be honest I dont like LPG, CNG & Diesel. I have some other plans on this car after this year ends.

Just irrelavane but LPG is big in Chandi; i wonder when i see people with cng. That shall take care of the tuk tuks

Old 9th May 2009, 16:05   #6
BHPian

If you are willing to wait, Dzire vxi might be an option. If you can stretch a bit, you will fall into the SX4 territory.
Old 9th May 2009, 16:13   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
If you are willing to wait, Dzire vxi might be an option. If you can stretch a bit, you will fall into the SX4 territory.
If you a stretch a bit more, you'll be in the Linea category, a bit more and you can get a Civic, a little bit more and you'll qualify for the "Rubber man" title

But seriously, he likes the ikon, no reason why he shouldn't get what he likes.
Old 9th May 2009, 16:15   #8
D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
I raged through the Hills while driving for Mcloedgunj. I really liked the drive. Swift was good and I think Dzire has the same response rite?

Quote:
If you a stretch a bit more, you'll be in the Linea category, a bit more and you can get a Civic, a little bit more and you'll qualify for the "Rubber man" title

But seriously, he likes the ikon, no reason why he shouldn't get what he likes.
You are right Astleviz. I think I Like the Ikon and I like to stick to my budget

Last edited by v12 : 9th May 2009 at 16:47.

Old 9th May 2009, 16:50   #9
BHPian

D-man, I received a PM from you to which I replied but got the following message-
"D-Man has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

Incase you are unable to receive private messages, you can send me an email directly on info@zerodpi.in

Last edited by Astleviz : 9th May 2009 at 16:52.
Old 9th May 2009, 16:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I raged through the Hills while driving for Mcloedgunj. I really liked the drive. Swift was good and I think Dzire has the same response rite?

You are right Astleviz. I think I Like the Ikon and I like to stick to my budget
Ikon + Freeflow exhaust+ Hills is the most fun you can have with 5L Rs. trust me on that, I have owned an esteem and hyundai viva 1.6 before and nothing compares to the fun you can have on the twisties with an ikon (within that budget, of course)

BTW, since you intend to keep the car for only an year, why not consider a used Ikon with less mileage and a full service record?

Last edited by Astleviz : 9th May 2009 at 16:57.
Old 9th May 2009, 16:58   #11
D-Man

Quote:
D-man, I received a PM from you to which I replied but got the following message-
"D-Man has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

Incase you are unable to receive private messages, you can send me an email directly on info@zerodpi.in
Not sure why in my settings i have enabled to receive message which are of private nature. Mods please help!

Old 9th May 2009, 17:06   #12
BHPian

D-man, I have sent you an email to your gmail id.
Old 9th May 2009, 17:15   #13
D-Man

Quote:
Not sure why in my settings i have enabled to receive message which are of private nature. Mods please help!
MODS please disregards my message. I think i found the issue.

Old 9th May 2009, 19:27   #14
D-Man

Quote:
Ikon + Freeflow exhaust+ Hills is the most fun you can have with 5L Rs. trust me on that, I have owned an esteem and hyundai viva 1.6 before and nothing compares to the fun you can have on the twisties with an ikon (within that budget, of course)

BTW, since you intend to keep the car for only an year, why not consider a used Ikon with less mileage and a full service record?
Truly said. I have tweaked many cars and the best fun i had was with a car which fits to category of present Ikon. Yes i intend to keep the car for a Year as my primary vehicle. I should have mentioned. After that it shall not run 3k a month. AFter that i shall just experiment on it.

Old 9th May 2009, 19:51   #15
BHPian

If you are looking for Petrol, why don't you test drive SX4? Its a neat car and lots of discount been given by Maruti !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks