Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2009, 09:58   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
If you have seen on Blr traffic, then you wouldn't say that. Linea cant be more drivable in city, low end torque may have been handled by shorter gears there is the turning radius issue that needs to be addressed and a extra long car with a puny engine is not my idea of a Car. Sure it looks great and you like it, so you bought it. I'm happy for you and for Fiat.

Well on the racing thing not on straights either as it would be unfair to the Linea, may be on a twisty.
Too bad we can't do it right now as you are not in Blr either.
If you do travel to some place like Coorg, let me know we can have some fun in the Ghats.
I've seen Bangalore traffic. Well Bangalore or Mumbai does not make any difference, I would challenge your above views on Linea being content. I would have agreed some 15 days back but now after more than a month of owning it I realised she is giving the so called "powered" cars run for their money (and I drive 3-4 hours in mumbai traffic & come across all types of cars - powerful, "not-so powerful", "content", "laggards", "peppy" & so on & so forth.

Further details you can check in my thread- have just posted an update yday. The difference in my earlier update on power & the yday update is also highlighted
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1320240
Old 27th May 2009, 10:13   #32
Senior - BHPian

I request all the people who comment saying Linea is underpowered to go for a test drive and take the car to speeds higher than 80kmph and then see the response and then comeback and report.

Just by looking on paper that it has a 1.3l mjd and 1.4l fire does not mean it is underpowered.

I am sure you will definitely change your views. I am not saying this as i own a linea. I own a verna also now. I have owned a tatasumo, fordikon, maruti omni, and premier padmini before. I frequently drive corolla 1.8 as it is my brotherinlaw's vehicle. I have assessed the car comparing to each one of them. Though it might not be as peppy as verna in lower speeds it definitely gives it a run for money in speeds above 80kmph to 145kmmp which i think is great. Just dont sit go have a drive and see.
Old 27th May 2009, 11:30   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
I request all the people who comment saying Linea is underpowered to go for a test drive and take the car to speeds higher than 80kmph and then see the response and then comeback and report.

Just by looking on paper that it has a 1.3l mjd and 1.4l fire does not mean it is underpowered.

I am sure you will definitely change your views. I am not saying this as i own a linea. I own a verna also now. I have owned a tatasumo, fordikon, maruti omni, and premier padmini before. I frequently drive corolla 1.8 as it is my brotherinlaw's vehicle. I have assessed the car comparing to each one of them. Though it might not be as peppy as verna in lower speeds it definitely gives it a run for money in speeds above 80kmph to 145kmmp which i think is great. Just dont sit go have a drive and see.
how often will you get to shot over 80kmpl in city traffic? What matters when you drive in the city is good pickup between the signals and thats where the linea lags behind a bit. its not always about speed but the performance that matters
Old 27th May 2009, 12:31   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
how often will you get to shot over 80kmpl in city traffic? What matters when you drive in the city is good pickup between the signals and thats where the linea lags behind a bit. its not always about speed but the performance that matters
In Mumbai city traffic, at traffic signals, My Linea is not allowing any other so called "powered" car to surge ahead And thats a challange if anyone wants to accept. Nor does my Linea allow any other car to intrude in her lane from adjoining lane to come in front of her hoping there would be a lag when there is none.

Having said that, some 20 days, I had experienced exactly what you & marlinespike mentioned & covered that in my ownership report thread, link posted in above post - check 7th May update & yday update). It took me some time to get used to the clutch/gear/accelerator combo/ config of Linea & now I'm able to drive her like a toy, maneuver her like a small car which is what I wanted - the driving ease / pleasure Ford Ikon used to give me.
Old 27th May 2009, 13:54   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
What matters when you drive in the city is good pickup between the signals.... the performance that matters
Good pick up doesnt mean the car is a great performer. It simply means the first gear ratio is small and translated well to the torque achieved and because of which the car surges ahead from 0 to 20kmpl in a jiffy. A good car needs to sustain the pickup achieved by 1st gear and transfer it to 2nd and further up and sustain it. Thats where linea is good at

Performance= pickup+speed+handling+sustaining+braking

Any car has a optimum speed at which u can assess the car nicely and thats what i say is 80kmph. Yes linea lags behind and only behind verna in low end torque (no other cat in the segment can come near verna in this). Not even behind fiesta or sx4 or any other contemporary cars.And as quoted by fastlove in his thread the gear ratios are so small that u can achieve a good pick up by changing gears quickly and can put your 5th gear at 50kmph.

Higher engine capacity is only needed only if u want to achieve higher maximum speeds on speedo. For example my linea goes till 145-150 with ease and then it takes time to achieve that 150-165 but corolla can go till 160 with ease and then takes time to achieve 160-180.

Higher the engine capacity doent meant it translates into a better pick up.
Old 27th May 2009, 18:40   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
As for the SX4 I just don't like it. Buy it if you don't have a better way to proove you're a man.
Can we please just stick to facts? Fair enough if you don't like the SX4 (that's a personal opinion), but the second comment is unwarranted and, to be honest, downright immature. Nobody I know buys a car for its advertisement.
Old 27th May 2009, 20:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetnaz View Post
Can we please just stick to facts? Fair enough if you don't like the SX4 (that's a personal opinion), but the second comment is unwarranted and, to be honest, downright immature. Nobody I know buys a car for its advertisement.
Nothing immature about my statement. I have actually come across a person who bought the car for this very reason. I'm sure there are many more. This is also true for a Bullet. Many buy it just because it "makes them feel like a man". Check the many Bullet forums.
And buy the way I am sticking to facts.
Old 28th May 2009, 17:46   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gksunil View Post
I am also looking for a new car and the same dilemma. But i am not looking for Fiesta1.6S but 1.6 Zxi. Yet to test drive a Linea and need to check the turning radius myself
Tell me the offer oyu got for1.6S. For Zxi they are giving insurance free plus 10000 corporate discount.
From the reviews posted here i am assuming that the ride will be smoother in Zxi than a 1.6S Right?
I got a 45 K discount in Nov '08 on the S for corporate discount.
So the deal you are getting is not bad. Push them for another 10 K or accessories worth 15K
Ride would be smother in ZXi but see if you can get an ABS version if possible.
Old 28th May 2009, 23:17   #39
BHPian

thank you for the reply. ZXI is now having ABS and music system as standard. Hence I don't think it is a bad deal.
Meanwhile I enquired with Ford India regarding two things
1. Any new model fiesta coming soon to India- No information
2. USB port in music system- Will be upgrading based on customer feed back.
Hence still waiting before making a final decision
Old 29th May 2009, 09:45   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gksunil View Post
thank you for the reply. ZXI is now having ABS and music system as standard. Hence I don't think it is a bad deal.
Meanwhile I enquired with Ford India regarding two things
1. Any new model fiesta coming soon to India- No information
2. USB port in music system- Will be upgrading based on customer feed back.
Hence still waiting before making a final decision
If you are hesitant about a new model making your car an old model only car to buy now is City.
Any car you buy possibly you may hold for 3-5 years. A new Fiesta would surely come in that time frame. I did mull this question but was not entirely convinced by the ANHC at that time(also It was not availably readily end of '08).
It will be a couple of years before Ford comes up with a new car in that segment but Ikon would be the one that might be phased out by then an the current Fiesta could end up doing duty at a cut price.
Also I remember reading about a small car-read hatch is what Ford is currently working on for India. So the issue of current Fiesta becoming an older model and then not in sale model is not a possibility for the next two and five years respectively.

Go ahead get the Fiesta ZXI as you anyway get the ABS and Music system there isn't much that you will miss. My current perception is that Airbags being deployed could be risky if there is a child in the front seat. (try telling that to the Kid.) also if you are wearing glasses even sunglasses for that matter especially with screws that may end up in the eye. And it covers the risk for a very small but yes significant risk on the head on collision front. On hind sight may be I would have been better of with ZXI (lower cost better resale options) but ABS was not standard at that time and I am clear I need that.

But if a situation would have been softened by Airbags and it is not there then there wont be some one to write about that to insist on it like 'Cause I skimped some dough I'm not around to write about it to warn you'. So please take the previous point and review it thoroughly and figure out if you really don't need the airbags. This point applies to anyone whose buying a car now. Ritz,i10, i20, Swift are cars that come up with a smaller price tag than sedans but they offer an option of airbags. True not everything is covered by an airbag, it comes with its own limitations on usage and its best that it never gets deployed, current cars are a lot more safer even without airbags but what should be prioritized ahead more features/comfort/image/looks/badge/boot or the last line of defense in Safety.

One of the Ads I like the most is by Volvo that goes like

"When you have experienced all the luxuries in life you realize the biggest luxury is life itself"

Last edited by marlinspike : 29th May 2009 at 10:02. Reason: add afterthoughts
Old 29th May 2009, 10:34   #41
BANNED

Quote:
In Mumbai city traffic, at traffic signals, My Linea is not allowing any other so called "powered" car to surge ahead And thats a challange if anyone wants to accept. Nor does my Linea allow any other car to intrude in her lane from adjoining lane to come in front of her hoping there would be a lag when there is none.
I was going back home from office in My Linea yday evening. On W.E. Highway, I caught up with a Fiesta S which was cruising ahead of me. I could see I was far behind than it initially but caught up with her in no time. I had to honk to ask him to give me side. This went on for a couple of minutes as I could see the driver started getting frustated as he could neither move ahead faster than me nor was he able to give me side. Finally he could manage to give me side & I zipped past him, he looked so irritated. It was so amusing to see "underpowered" Linea beating **** out of "powerful" Fiesta S.

Quote:
"When you have experienced all the luxuries in life you realize the biggest luxury is life itself"
Very well said Marlinspike.
I wonder what is Hyundai thinking not giving Airbags in its premium C Seg Sedan Verna?
Old 29th May 2009, 10:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

That is something I used to feel lately, but now I have understood that if I overtake and pass by a slow moving Ferrari, that does not qualifies my car for better than Ferrari. Its just that the other person might have some trouble driving fast, may be kids inside etc etc.

Similarly when somebody zip pass through me at 130, honking to give way, I do not try to block and give way immediately. Either he is a moron or may be he has some urgency, somebody inside need medical attention.

I hope you see my point

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Finally he could manage to give me side & I zipped past him, he looked so irritated. It was so amusing to see "underpowered" Linea beating **** out of "powerful" Fiesta S.
Old 29th May 2009, 12:18   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
That is something I used to feel lately, but now I have understood that if I overtake and pass by a slow moving Ferrari, that does not qualifies my car for better than Ferrari. Its just that the other person might have some trouble driving fast, may be kids inside etc etc.

Similarly when somebody zip pass through me at 130, honking to give way, I do not try to block and give way immediately. Either he is a moron or may be he has some urgency, somebody inside need medical attention.

I hope you see my point
Yes, I could see your point & agree also. In the same manner, I would expect the (unquoted) points in my posts to be seen/ understood
  • Some of the posts above saying "underpowered" Linea would be a fun to be watched in rear view mirror to become distant dots - are the "statements". My above post is real life incidence
  • Agree with you that Driving Skills, Situations (Kids inside, medical attention), way of driving (conservative or aggressive) etc are key differentiators & dilutes what is written in above post which was precisely the point I wanted to drive. By the same token, wouldn't it be necessary for someone first to drive Linea for 1-2 months to pass statements instead of just a mere TD or on heresay? I've my own experience here - 3 weeks back I criticized my Linea on power & now after 6-7 weeks of driving her & getting accustomed to her, here am I making extreme statements (which I generally do not make)
Old 29th May 2009, 12:32   #44
Senior - BHPian

Your are right. Honestly statements like under-power, low pickup etc etc are too vague and people just throw them on forum for the sake of discussion.

In my honest opinion the difference of power/pickup/stability/ etc etc is very little between let say, Fiesta/SX4/Linea/ANHC and others. Finally you end buying a car based on your liking and overall deal.

Why would a manufacturer sell a car underpowered when there are better options.

People talk so much about SX4, not a good car, low pickup, cheap plastic etc etc. But none of them bother me, because none of them is true to me. I am enjoying it so who cares about those just passing statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
  • Some of the posts above saying "underpowered" Linea would be a fun to be watched in rear view mirror to become distant dots - are the "statements". My above post is real life incidence
  • Agree with you that Driving Skills, Situations (Kids inside, medical attention), way of driving (conservative or aggressive) etc are key differentiators & dilutes what is written in above post which was precisely the point I wanted to drive. By the same token, wouldn't it be necessary for someone first to drive Linea for 1-2 months to pass statements instead of just a mere TD or on heresay? I've my own experience here - 3 weeks back I criticized my Linea on power & now after 6-7 weeks of driving her & getting accustomed to her, here am I making extreme statements (which I generally do not make)
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:04   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Your are right. Honestly statements like under-power, low pickup etc etc are too vague and people just throw them on forum for the sake of discussion.

In my honest opinion the difference of power/pickup/stability/ etc etc is very little between let say, Fiesta/SX4/Linea/ANHC and others. Finally you end buying a car based on your liking and overall deal.

Why would a manufacturer sell a car underpowered when there are better options.

People talk so much about SX4, not a good car, low pickup, cheap plastic etc etc. But none of them bother me, because none of them is true to me. I am enjoying it so who cares about those just passing statements.
Bang on Rajiv... The term low pick-up, underpowered are unqualified statements given by people who actually have NOT driven the cars they are mentioning or may have taken a 5-10 mins test drive.

Actually I have driven a SX4 and felt the car to be adequately powered and have wondered how people are saying that the car is sluggish.. I have even thought "are we all used to Ferraris / Lamborgs and drive them day in and day out?" Similar experience with my Linea MJD. I had my own apprehensions when I bought my car since most of them were saying the car is too underpowered and a Wagon R or Santro can take a Linea. Now I feel/realise how "unqualified" these statements are. Personally I have put the car to test under multiple circumstances and the car has scored high in each and every department that I am concerned about. In short, opinions (i mean "just-say" opinions) about a car is perceptional (may be relative as well-for those who drive a ferrari / porsche) and truly does not exhibit the positives or negatives of a car.

You need to own a car / feel the car to know about its qualities.

Regards,
Sathya

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks