Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2009, 23:35   #31
Senior - BHPian

But every car has a rev limit to prevent the engine from damaging itself doesn't it? My point is that if a car can hit that limit in fourth (most modern cars except the cheaper ones actually do) then they will almost certainly go faster in fifth unless fifth is absurdly tall. As for the OHC, I think the fourth ratio is pretty tall (less than 1:1) which is why it doesn't hit the limiter in fourth.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 24th June 2009 at 23:46.
Old 25th June 2009, 00:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

I believe his point is that the rev limit is lower in fourth gear than in other gears.
Old 25th June 2009, 02:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But every car has a rev limit to prevent the engine from damaging itself doesn't it? My point is that if a car can hit that limit in fourth (most modern cars except the cheaper ones actually do) then they will almost certainly go faster in fifth unless fifth is absurdly tall. As for the OHC, I think the fourth ratio is pretty tall (less than 1:1) which is why it doesn't hit the limiter in fourth.
If you're hitting the limiter in 4th, obviously 5th gear is gonna be faster. But the point is that you can't make a car go faster by just making the 5th gear taller. Once a car hits it's aerodynamic top speed, you cant gain more with taller gearing.

Shan2nu
Old 25th June 2009, 09:38   #34
BHPian

alright guys. now i am damn confused between the ANHC and the Linea Diesel Emotion Package (top end variant).

both cars are priced around the same (fiat is still cheaper).

honda city is petrol.
Linea is diesel.
Honda is likely to have a much better resale value.
Fiat Linea might fail to resell for a good price.
Honda is likely to be fun on the highways.
Linea is likely to be better in city traffic.

I currently own a swift vdi abs... so i felt more comfortable driving the linea. god they have the same engine!

i also did not like the interiors of honda city much except for the steering wheel which i absolutely love

linea interiors were fine. blue&me is far from perfect but should be useful enough.

and then fiat is likely to come out with the 1.6 liter engine option in the coming weeks/months.

should i start a new thread?
Old 25th June 2009, 09:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushubh View Post
Honda is likely to be fun on the highways.
Linea is likely to be better in city traffic.
I have not driven Linea but being a ANHC owner, I feel it is the other way around. ANHC is a breeze to drive around in the city and competent but not the best on highways. I believe Liniea's dynamics are more suited on highway then ANHC.
If I was in your place, I would wait for the Linea 1.6 before finalising.
Old 25th June 2009, 11:56   #36
BHPian

Linea is better than ANHC in: mileage, features, build-quality, total cost of ownership (cheap spares and all)
ANHC is better than Linea in: powerful engine, interiors, brand value, service.

If 1.6MJD does come, then the decision is a no-brainer: Linea!
But it won't be until next year or who knows when. You know how Linea's launch was delayed for months together!

Quote:
i am damn confused between the ANHC and the Linea Diesel Emotion Package (top end variant).

both cars are priced around the same (fiat is still cheaper).

and then fiat is likely to come out with the 1.6 liter engine option in the coming weeks/months.

should i start a new thread?
True. Expect Linea to be better than ANHC on highways due to its better suspension, build. But it should be easier to drive ANHC in the city ... its a powerful engine, so gets off its a$$ easily unlike Linea which can be slow to start with.
But then, if you drive in city with bumper-to-bumper traffic, additional horses of ANHC won't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I have not driven Linea but being a ANHC owner, I feel it is the other way around. ANHC is a breeze to drive around in the city and competent but not the best on highways. I believe Liniea's dynamics are more suited on highway then ANHC.
If I was in your place, I would wait for the Linea 1.6 before finalising.
Old 25th June 2009, 12:44   #37
BHPian

i am just a bit scared about the honda coz i am used to pay for services and spare parts of a maruti. this would be my first sedan (big car!). petrol costs are going to hurt. but in the end resale value also matters.

let's see. i need to first check how much i can sell my two old swifts for. shall check out the relevant forum to post those threads.
Old 25th June 2009, 12:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

Swift service and spares are surprisingly expensive. Hondas are cheap to service, but parts are expensive. You shouldn't need parts often though.
Old 25th June 2009, 13:17   #39
BHPian

If you feel Honda City is underpowered, then linea is definitely underpowered at least for city conditions. I like driving ANHC inside City and on highways its definitely the linea

You cant expect the performance of Swift Diesel on Linea Diesel since the swift engine is modified, even if its got the same engine of Fiat. Weight of the car also plays an important part in which the linea leads the lot, it weights higher than others.

Linea and City are elegant cars, you should not rev like the swifts
Old 25th June 2009, 13:28   #40
BHPian

yeah, i have to admit that my driving style has become accustomed to turbocharged diesel engines so i tend to expect more power in lower revs. this is probably the reason i found city to be under-powered.

linea was of course less peppy compared to the swift diesel which i admit is too much fun to drive.

and of course, both of these cars are elegant sedans which should be driven with a sense of responsibility.

i am also a bit scared on how much time i would take to adapt to a dickey wali cars coz i have driven hatchbacks all my life. it took me a while to stop banging the swift while reversing in a tight parking lot...

whenever i buy any of the sedans, i plan to get installed the parking sensor thingy that can prevent any accidents on reverse parking in the messy places here in gurgaon/delhi areas...
Old 28th June 2009, 21:19   #41
BHPian

Honda city is better for city driving! I would say the engine/steering/gear/clutch all designed for easier handling. And it is reliable
Linea- good looker but yet to proove its reliability & ***
Both cars are low on ground clearance so they don't like humps
Old 8th July 2009, 20:22   #42
BHPian

alright. sold both of my swifts. the mind is still set on linea diesel emo pk. the only problems i face in that car are:

the dead pedal. it cannot be removed from what i see.
the steering pole is in open. so you can actually touch it rotate while driving.
heat in gurgaon has been terrible these last couple of days. the test drives i took, the AC was a practical failure.
Old 10th July 2009, 04:38   #43
BHPian

alright. did the unthinkable. ordered linea diesel emotion package silver grey color.

i should get it in a week's time.

i am just hoping all goes on well!

moderators can change the topic to something like:

It all started with the ANHC but ended with the Linea Emotion PK...
Old 10th July 2009, 09:48   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
alright. did the unthinkable. ordered linea diesel emotion package silver grey color.

i should get it in a week's time.

i am just hoping all goes on well!

moderators can change the topic to something like:

It all started with the ANHC but ended with the Linea Emotion PK...
Congrats Sushubh ! Wise Decision. Enjoy the Admiration! How much did it work out OTR?
Old 10th July 2009, 09:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Shushub,
Enjoy your italian wonder.
drive safe, keep posting your experience
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks