Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:40   #1
BHPian

New Honda City?

I have been driving a Swift VDI ABS since the last eight months.

I love this car.

But I have been stung by the new Honda City.

It sounds like a terrible move considering the City is a petrol and I am going to get a terrible return value on my Diesel Swift.

I went for the test drive of the new City and god I was disappointed.

The car just feels powerless in comparison to the Swift Diesel.

Either it is a huge mistake on my part or maybe I am just used to the turbojet booster type thing in my Swift.

Am I dreaming or is City a dull drive in City traffic (test drive was in a low city traffic conditions) but makes up for it on the highway?
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I went for the test drive of the new City and god I was disappointed.

The car just feels powerless in comparison to the Swift Diesel.
Its your driving style that made it look dull. Petrol engines dont produce enough low end torque as compared to a turbo diesel, so you need to keep the revvs higher in order to extract performance out of it.

With a power to weight ratio of 105bhp/ton, its the quickest production car in its class.

Shan2nu
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:43   #3
BHPian

ah right. i guess i was right. i am spoiled by the diesel...

hmm. honda city is costing around 8.7 lakhs in gurgaon.

i just read about fiat linea on the forum... and i can see that the top end diesel model with all frills comes to around 8.2 ex showroom. so that is likely to cost below city.

i guess i would research a bit more. i guess i would try to find a diesel replacement for my swift.
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Shan2nu.
I supose you test drove ANHC and not NHC.
ANHC is one of the most lively cars to drive, especially in the city driving conditions. unlike many other cars, it doesn't suffer from the lack of low end torque.
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

When i did my test drive, i also felt that my old palio had better pick up than ANHC
i even commented to the sales consultant accordingly.

then i was offered one more test drive plus some automotive basics of how iVtec engine works etc.

ANHC is one of the most refined and the best powered car in it's segment as of now in India.
Old 23rd June 2009, 12:06   #6
BANNED

This is a common feeling when driving a Petrol engine after getting used to a diesel. You have to rev it more (Hondas are esp. high revving) and even then the torque of a diesel is far more than most petrols. It is the high end, linear delivery, and smoothness where petrols excel. In the mid range diesels are king!
Old 23rd June 2009, 12:06   #7
BHPian

ANHC means the automatic version?

the dealer invited me to test the automatic version in the evening. i drove the S model earlier today.

btw, i checked out fiat linea. diesel top end model. it seems to be powered with the same engine of swift vdi (oh god!)... cc is same but linea has more ps/bhp. feature list is huge! and it is likely to cost me less than the middle model of the new honda city.

any comments?
Old 23rd June 2009, 12:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushubh View Post

the dealer invited me to test the automatic version in the evening. i drove the S model earlier today.
What I meant to ask was- did you test drive the All New Honda City (ANHC) because, 'New Honda City' is refered to the previous version of Honda City.
Old 23rd June 2009, 12:36   #9
BHPian

ah yeah i drove the ALL new honda city! the NHC model was not even on display at the showroom.

i am going to test drive the fiat linea diesel. reviews on teambhp seems to be good enough and i guess i would love to stay on diesel (god it is fun to see tank full for just 1200 bucks on swift!)

sorry for all the confusion tho...
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Dude... drive the Vtec the way its supposed to be driven. The car does not have the low end torque of your diesels but delivers very well if revved high.
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:36   #11
BHPian

the 'test drive track' offered by the honda guy was not so great. i would see if he would allow me to take the car on better roads to see its real performance.

too bad i do not know anyone personally who owns this car. most of my cousins and friends have become diesel/cng fans!
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushubh View Post

btw, i checked out fiat linea. diesel top end model. it seems to be powered with the same engine of swift vdi (oh god!)... cc is same but linea has more ps/bhp. feature list is huge! and it is likely to cost me less than the middle model of the new honda city.

any comments?
I am not sure... but does linea have a turbo? I dont think so.. if so is the case the I think you ll miss the turbo as you are used to it now.
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

If you buy the Linea, you would be buying the same engine in a larger, heavier body. Do you want that ?
Old 23rd June 2009, 14:44   #14
BHPian

How do you guys drive the Honda city?
Do you rev till 4k rpm in each gear?
Is that the way to drive a petrol car (irrespective of whether its a Honda or not) ?
Old 23rd June 2009, 14:48   #15
BHPian

Linea's Diesel engine is in a higher state of tune than swifts 1.3MJD.

Linea has a variable Geometry Turbo (VGT) doing 86ps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
I am not sure... but does linea have a turbo? I dont think so.. if so is the case the I think you ll miss the turbo as you are used to it now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
If you buy the Linea, you would be buying the same engine in a larger, heavier body. Do you want that ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks