Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2009, 19:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

If you dont care about anything else but Fun to drive, get Skoda TPi.

If you are going to mod the car, Nothing beats lancer cedia.

If you need something that people love, Honda civic.

If you need something that's reliable and has good doses of everything, its the corolla.

I would say stick to skoda tpi or Lancer cedia.
Old 10th July 2009, 19:45   #17
BHPian

You should seriously consider Cedia as an option for following reasons:

1. With A.S.S. problems in Skoda and mods on your mind (void warranty), You could be in deep trouble. Also, It is one of the oldest model around.

2. Civic is out and by your personal choice so wouldn't go deeper into it.

3. Altis is a brilliant car in itself especially when clubbed with Toyota quality but somehow IMHO it doesn't appear to be an out and out sports sedan. The looks are very 'executive'.

4. Mitsubishi is a known name in world of motor-sports. Cedia looks the part and actually performs as well too. Mitsubishi presence in India may be iffy. But, then again, it is performance you seek, this may be a great choice. Try Cedia Sports model, it is amazing.

5. Also, Mitsubishi has been great mod car. There are unlimited permutation and combinations you could try when you get to modding this car.

Last edited by akhilesh51 : 10th July 2009 at 19:47.
Old 10th July 2009, 20:53   #18
BHPian

The J trim of the Corolla is very stripped down. You should look at the G variant. I think it is much better VFM. From these three cars that is what I would pick.
Old 10th July 2009, 21:24   #19
BHPian

Skoda - Like they say, Few minutes of pleasure and life long (till you own it) hell.

Civic - Bare bones car, not VFM by any standards.

Altis - Gives you more or less every thing and best of all Peace of mind. Buy minimum G or GL model.
Old 10th July 2009, 22:40   #20
BHPian

Skoda Octy - an old car and european petrols are not that good.
Civic: great looks, but GC is a big problem.
Altis: Avg looks, great all round. May be less sporty compared to the other 2, but I guess sporty enough for regular use (some city drive + some highway drive).

So even if you look for driving pleasure it has to be altis.
Old 11th July 2009, 00:36   #21
BHPian

A new skoda without warrenty!!!!!!!!!! (manipulating engine will void warrenty)

You must be kidding. Consider the real cost of owning skoda, twice as it original price.

Instead, go for Civic, if you are a true rocket driver.
Old 11th July 2009, 02:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Ownership cost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post

You must be kidding. Consider the real cost of owning skoda, twice as it original price.

I do not think I have spent even a fraction of the sum mentioned. Seriously, I would have screamed bloody blue murder if I had to spend even a moderate fraction of the car on maintaining it. One can check my thread at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ms-review.html

The thread relating to Civics is at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-must-dos.html

Another thread relating to maintainance cost of Skodas is at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...nces-ymmv.html

These are genuine reports by actual owners of the cars, nothing can be more authentic.

To paraphrase Devarshi84 (sorry Dev): If you want to please your boss - buy the Altis, If you want to please your neighbours - buy the Civic, If you want to please yourself - buy the Octy (then bung a Pete's box in it and leave the competition far behind). Incidentally, I do not think Skoda is making/selling the petrol RS anymore.

Cheers,
Old 11th July 2009, 08:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
While Skoda does score on all the parameters, to me the most important is *** as it really affects your peace of mind.

From that perspective, I would go for either Civic or Altis.
Thats the main thing thats bothering me, the A-S-S part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
well, I can understand what is going in your mind.

Skoda takes the cake, However just for moment think WHAT IF ___ will skoda A.S.S diagnose it correctly ? Will they honestly give you the due parts in time ? Will Skoda management help you out if dealer doesnt solve your problems.

I am sure after paying 10L you dont want to take a chance of not falling in that % of people who are facing issues.

You have time, just weigh the pros and cons of taking a skoda product. I may sound very pessimistic on skoda, but It would pain me to see anyone getting a product or service not upto expectations.

Altis is a good product, drive it and forget about servicing or parts. A.S.S is one of the best.
The what if___ scenario is the one that scares me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not only the after-sales, but European petrol cars (Skodas, VWs, Mercs...you name it) are anything but reliable. While the Octavia diesel is stupendously reliable, the petrol RS isn't. Look up the many RS reviews on our forum.

Plus, Octavia petrols depreciate like stink. I'd recommend either a used RS (take advantage of the depreciation, they go real cheap) or a new Civic / Fiesta 1.6S. A used RS will also give you a long list of goodies (xenons, sunroof, alloys etc. etc.) for 6.5 lakhs.
Civic as i said, because of the longer wheelbase and soft suspension bottoms out easily plus they don't have a 'S' Variant anymore. Any specific reason why you havn't recommended the Altis? Also i am not keen on a Used car so a vRS is out of the question. Also if you are saying that they are inherently unreliable, its not worth taking a risk on a second had one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
I would vote for the Altis. Cost efficient, very good After Sales Service and Toyota backing. Its a great car for a family.
Toyota all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
A 1.6S is a great suggestion too.
Well, folks won't agree to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
If I were you, i would go with Corolla Altis. When i bought my Honda ANHC recently, the only reasony i did not go for Altis was my budget.

Toyota is the world leader, one of most reliable car maker.
i would suggest you to go for it.
Legendary Reliability as per everybody's suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
If you dont care about anything else but Fun to drive, get Skoda TPi.

If you are going to mod the car, Nothing beats lancer cedia.

If you need something that people love, Honda civic.

If you need something that's reliable and has good doses of everything, its the corolla.

I would say stick to skoda tpi or Lancer cedia.
Now that's confused me again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
You should seriously consider Cedia as an option for following reasons:

1. With A.S.S. problems in Skoda and mods on your mind (void warranty), You could be in deep trouble. Also, It is one of the oldest model around.

2. Civic is out and by your personal choice so wouldn't go deeper into it.

3. Altis is a brilliant car in itself especially when clubbed with Toyota quality but somehow IMHO it doesn't appear to be an out and out sports sedan. The looks are very 'executive'.

4. Mitsubishi is a known name in world of motor-sports. Cedia looks the part and actually performs as well too. Mitsubishi presence in India may be iffy. But, then again, it is performance you seek, this may be a great choice. Try Cedia Sports model, it is amazing.

5. Also, Mitsubishi has been great mod car. There are unlimited permutation and combinations you could try when you get to modding this car.
Mitsubishi is out of the question, very poor resale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsPG View Post
The J trim of the Corolla is very stripped down. You should look at the G variant. I think it is much better VFM. From these three cars that is what I would pick.
The problem is my budget. I have stretched it to 10.5 - 11L max. Lets see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
Skoda - Like they say, Few minutes of pleasure and life long (till you own it) hell.

Civic - Bare bones car, not VFM by any standards.

Altis - Gives you more or less every thing and best of all Peace of mind. Buy minimum G or GL model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingcrew View Post
Skoda Octy - an old car and european petrols are not that good.
Civic: great looks, but GC is a big problem.
Altis: Avg looks, great all round. May be less sporty compared to the other 2, but I guess sporty enough for regular use (some city drive + some highway drive).

So even if you look for driving pleasure it has to be altis.
Man now i may have to book a TD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post

Not so keen on Civic, reasons mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I do not think I have spent even a fraction of the sum mentioned. Seriously, I would have screamed bloody blue murder if I had to spend even a moderate fraction of the car on maintaining it. One can check my thread at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ms-review.html

The thread relating to Civics is at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-must-dos.html

Another thread relating to maintainance cost of Skodas is at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...nces-ymmv.html

These are genuine reports by actual owners of the cars, nothing can be more authentic.

To paraphrase Devarshi84 (sorry Dev): If you want to please your boss - buy the Altis, If you want to please your neighbours - buy the Civic, If you want to please yourself - buy the Octy (then bung a Pete's box in it and leave the competition far behind). Incidentally, I do not think Skoda is making/selling the petrol RS anymore.

Cheers,
Yes, but the head wants to rule the heart. I have to think hard now.
Old 11th July 2009, 08:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Skoda A.S & S. issues are well reported on TBHP. And from what I have observed, Octavia diesel is the only car in the company that is not known to give a lot of trouble unless the dealer/service center messes up with it. But at any cost, my opinion is to avoid Skoda for its A.S & S. Buying is one process and if after buying you face A.S & S. issues, its very frustrating and also can give trouble.
Out of other options, I feel that Cedia is a great machine, but its outdated when we compare it with Civic and Altis.

Civic is one car to buy from heart, but again its not as practical as Altis.
Out of all the cars listed, Altis is the one that I would prefer if I were in your place. It can still do speeds that are way over what our roads can handle. Basically Altis is a very practical buy as compared to others and gives you the best peace of mind after spend close to rs. 10 lakh.
Old 11th July 2009, 08:49   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I want to go with my heart this time in my life
Forget Skoda. In a different context,and with different meaning, a famous editor once said 'To a bleeding heart, I ally a technical mind'.

Choose the Civic. It is really fun to drive on the highways. I have done speeds of 150 kmph in my relative's Civic and it felt rock solid.

I haven't driven an altis, but I drove the earlier corolla. It was nice but lacked the punch.
Old 11th July 2009, 09:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

Are you buying with your head or your heart?

SKoda TPi is the best option available when it comes to fun to drive factor.
Lancer Cedia is the best option available when you remove Skoda from the list. :P. The sports with OZ wheels and momo steering and seats make it the perfect sports car. Dont think about resale if you think about a driver's car.

Optra Magnum is the best FTD diesel car with a good turbo rev range. Again a low resale is its con.

And if the problems of the above cars trouble you, settle with a Corolla. It is by no means a bad car, but it doesnt really excel at anything.
Old 11th July 2009, 14:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

There's no Pete's box for petrols. A remap is available for the vRS, though.
Old 11th July 2009, 14:28   #28
BHPian

Go for an Altis G buddy... that's the most practical and well loaded car for India. I have described why in another thread here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1378384
Old 11th July 2009, 15:05   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for the new Laura TSI 1.8.
It will be more fun that the Octavia TPI 1.8 - More (and early) torque, more power, little more FE...
Old 11th July 2009, 15:56   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Skoda A.S & S. issues are well reported on TBHP. Basically Altis is a very practical buy as compared to others and gives you the best peace of mind after spend close to rs. 10 lakh.
Its Altis all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
Forget Skoda. 'To a bleeding heart, I ally a technical mind'.

Choose the Civic. It is really fun to drive on the highways. I have done speeds of 150 kmph in my relative's Civic and it felt rock solid.

I haven't driven an altis, but I drove the earlier corolla. It was nice but lacked the punch.
As discussed Civic's soft suspension resulting in bottoming out dissuade's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Are you buying with your head or your heart?

SKoda TPi is the best option available when it comes to fun to drive factor.

And if the problems of the above cars trouble you, settle with a Corolla. It is by no means a bad car, but it doesnt really excel at anything.
That's what i hope i don't eventually do, "SETTLE" with a safer bet and my heart would be somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
There's no Pete's box for petrols. A remap is available for the vRS, though.
There are no boxes as per my friend & pete's, there are custom codes & mods like turbo upgrades, high flow exhausts, filters, tyres, etc. The possibilities are endless. Instead of buying a new car every 3 years, go for upgrades to keep the heart beating. Buttttt... S.K.O.D.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edassery View Post
Go for an Altis G buddy... that's the most practical and well loaded car for India. I have described why in another thread here.
YUP, "Settle", "Practical" that's what is everybody's suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Go for the new Laura TSI 1.8.
It will be more fun that the Octavia TPI 1.8 - More (and early) torque, more power, little more FE...
I am not willing to spend that much at the moment, its around 15L Mumbai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks