Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2009, 23:49   #76
BHPian

I would strongly suggest you to get a second hand skoda, especially a petrol, they will depreciate like hell. After even a few years you will lose around 5-6 lacs.
Recently my friend sold his 05 vRS, run only 14k for 6.8L, so you can see.
Also there are many very less run octys or lauras for under 5-8 lacs, they will offer you the depreciation and the great car.
Also if you want to go in for mods, you can go for them or just make your family happy by saying that you spent a few less lacs.
If you do search around you will get many less run civics and altis also for 8-9 lacs price range.
You can look into this seriously.
Again my suggestion for a skoda would be second hand.
Old 17th July 2009, 00:25   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post

As i said earlier, i want to limit myself to 10.5-11L max. I have made quite a bit of investment in plant machinery at my factory this year and don't want to overburden myself at this point of time.
Given that you don't want Ford / Mitsubishi and want to work within a strict 11L max budget to my mind your choices would be limited as below:

1. NEW CARS

- All new Honda City;
- Toyota Corolla (I would still urge you to go for at least G and not the J version if possible)

2. SECOND HAND

Accord; Civic; Octavia vRS; [I saw some good suggestions on 2nd hand options].

I really wouldn't recommend the prev gen Corolla - may as well go for the Altis then.
Old 17th July 2009, 01:17   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well i am in Bombay, so i will have to find a reputed Skoda garage "IF" i consider the 1.8TPi.

I have read here that JMD is a pretty decent A.S.C. If I am not mistaken, I have also read here that there is at least one very good independent workshop in Mumbai. The Skoda ownership & maintainance threads should throw up the leads.

Cheers,
Old 17th July 2009, 20:29   #79
BANNED

say no to Civic.. Its just a temptation.. Control it ;0
Old 17th July 2009, 20:39   #80
Senior - BHPian

You switched camps on us swageo What happened?
Old 17th July 2009, 21:09   #81
BHPian

If you dont want to go for less than 10 L car and also not willing to look @ 14+ you have cedia,optra, altis & civic.
Of this you dont want the Cedia (bad call, seriously how can you say you want a sporty car and say you dont like the Cedia)or Optra(ok makes sense due to GMs issues).

The right car to get from Skoda is laura, Octy os too old in the tooth now and no point spening so much on that.
Civic will scrape too many bumpers, for a car that has cockpit like dash the fact that it hits the ground so offten is not apealing even if it doesn't really do much damage.

Altis is fresh, looks decent ( I wouldn't touch the old one with a barge pole, for me its blandess is worse than desire's ugliness) would depreciate real slow and enjoyable while in use. So that should be it.
Atleast thats what I'd pick on paper.
Old 18th July 2009, 20:27   #82
BHPian

Go for Altis! Octy is very old and am sure Skoda will be phasing it out with something new!
Old 19th July 2009, 16:45   #83
BHPian

Or may be you can wait for the face lifted Octy which may be out soon. Anyways, Toyota is once GEM of a car and service quality you can depend on and also reasonable maintainance charges.
Old 20th July 2009, 11:12   #84
BANNED

You have a good Skoda service station at Mumbai as well.

Quote:

Well i am in Bombay, so i will have to find a reputed Skoda garage "IF" i consider the 1.8TPi.
There is a TBHPian who is an ex-Octavia L&K owner from Mumbai who has happily lived with his Octavia for 90k kilometers. His long term review posted at this forum mentions his garage and other readers have also appreciated the place.
If you are in Bombay, you could PM him for his service centre's name and address alongwith the people he knows there.

Also, let me reiterate that you will never get German bulid quality and longevity in Japanese cars though you may get slightly better economy.

I would strongly recommend the Octavia or the Laura/Jetta if you can afford it. The url to the long term review is here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-kms-done.html

Cheers
Old 20th July 2009, 11:16   #85
BHPian

Octavia

Nobody in the competition comes near the Octavia in case of performance.

Go by heart, get octy beauty. You will love it ( as I do )
Old 21st July 2009, 13:28   #86
BHPian

Octy is outdated and if you look around you will see that their sales are drastically coming down. So new Octy may be out of question. vRS may be good only if you dont care about mileage at all but wants to rip it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks