Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2009, 00:37   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

How about stretching your budget for Laura TSi 160hp,it can also be modded easily as a octy rs.
Old 13th July 2009, 09:18   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Cool, please yourself and believe what the Toyota dealers/mechanics have to say about costs of servicing a Skoda!

I agree with Dev's statement - public perception and A.S.S. be damned. IMHO, independents are always better than A.S.C.s and, have been so right through history.

Cheers,
I don't think you read my post properly. It was Asset Auto the Skoda Dealer in Pune who advised me about the car's service costs, not Toyota.

Agreed with your last point and also that you would report your ownership experience and your opinions are respected.

Public opinion and feedback be damned. After all Skoda excels in ignoring the public

Rgds,
Old 13th July 2009, 09:28   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
I would say grab a cedia
The folks at home aren't very keen on Mitsubishi actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Skoda's are reliable too.

The Skoda A.S.S. is not really all that bad. Most people are quite happy with it.
Well, i hope its the reverse situation outside the team-bhp world where most are satisfied with their Skoda's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Skoda's dealers replacing parts with counterfeits. This combined with the very high maintenance costs makes for an automotive nightmare.

I'd advise anyone to stay away from Skoda. I went with Toyota twice over already.
That speaks volumes about your trust in brand Toyota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
my mind and heart are both set more towards the Toyota Altis!!!
Another Altis vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRf1 View Post
The octy is now a old hat.
Well, that's is one problem too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Why is every thread with the word Skoda to be turned into a Skoda A.S.S. thread?

Trust me, Skoda aint really that bad.
Just hope it is true and there is a minority of 'actual' sufferers like harish, diifsoft, evo, etc. I spoke to my friend and he had somebody from Four Seasons who attended to him. Right now he is indispensible, so my friend is looking out for an independent guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingcrew View Post
It's just that the petrols are not that reliable.
Could you explain how petrols are unreliable, it would help me a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
devarshi, let's see you gripe about such things when your own 10L is vaporized.
Exactly my state of mind, what if?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I evaluated the Octavia L&K and the Laura last Sept before becoming a repeat customer for Toyota. And all this was before I read about the nightmarish experiences of Harishv on TBHP. Sorry, no way I can recommend a Skoda to friends & family.

Dont get me wrong, I know the Octy and Laura are good cars in their own right. I have nothing against them but only the attitude of the dealers and the company.

Rgds,
Point noted and taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
For me a car is a place I spend a major part of my life in. I wouldnt believe in a compromise here. Resale and A.S.S and public perception be damned.
That what i meant when i said my heart says the 1.8TPi and driving the car at 170kmph without breaking into a sweat. I had done a max of 150 on my Accent Viva on the Mumbai Pune Expressway and trust me it was not inspiring at all, i was holding on to the steering like my life was on trial, ditto with the ANHC recently on the Bhiwandi highway. I was scared with it at 140kmph. The Skoda was planted like a rock and the acceleration was on tap whenever needed. Can't describe that feeling. and imagine a modded one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
My thread is there for all to see. I continue to drive it after 2 years and have no regrets. In fact, the car is a joy to drive.

I do not care if anyone else buys Skoda or X or Y brand, for me, there is no comfort in numbers and I do not care to be part of a herd. I do not even care whether Skoda continues in India or not.

I shall however, state clearly my experience with my car. I do not know what the Skoda dealer/mechanics have to say about other brands. I do not ask them for I know they are the last people I should be asking if I were looking for genuine information about other brands.

I agree with Dev's statement - public perception and A.S.S. be damned. IMHO, independents are always better than A.S.C.s and, have been so right through history.

Cheers,
There is still some hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
How about stretching your budget for Laura TSi 160hp,it can also be modded easily as a octy rs.
Dude my budget is around 10.5-11L MAX. So the Laura is way out of my radar at the moment.
Old 13th July 2009, 09:45   #49
BANNED

One more point if you are a low mileage driver (like me). Civic has oil change specified at six months / 5000 km with a service every three months. Altis has double the intervals.

In other words for routine servicing the Altis should be half as costly to service than the Civic. Also, half the hassle.

Why Honda keeps such short intervals sure beats me. They do not trust their own hardware? Globally 10,000 miles/once a year for oil change is common.
Old 13th July 2009, 14:47   #50
Senior - BHPian

Anil,How abt chevy-Magnum,diesel eng with 120bhp+petes=150.bhp,with all the goodies.
but doesn't have a good RS.
fits into your budget,also with 3y warrenty package with XXX kms etc..
Old 13th July 2009, 15:15   #51
BHPian

Hi

I have owned quite a few cars in a short span and have realized that there are bad and good dealers for every car company. Check the dealer before you pick up your vehicle, Thats the best way i guess.

I do drive a Skoda trust me never faced a problem till now from past 1.5 years of owning it, either in servicing or spare parts. I do get amazing mileage and its done 70000 kms in the vehicle with absolutely no problem in anyway. Since Octy is on last legs, If i were you i would have gone to TD Chevy Optra Magnum(hope that company will not close down operation) or wait till new Elantra (If you are ok with a Korean make).

Between Civic and Altis prefer Civic anyday it just pure pleasure to drive that beauty
Old 13th July 2009, 17:18   #52
BHPian

Since everybody overwhelmingly suggests the Japs and more so the Altis, i have following queries:

1. Currently just the 'J' Variant fits the criteria of price.
2. With a load of features missing on the 'J' most significantly Auto A/c, Alloys, Airbags, Steering Mounted Audio controls, Front Armrest is it worth considering going for the Altis? The next variant 'G' is around 1.5L more expensive, overshooting my set limit.
3. The Civic is not on my list because of reasons already mentioned plus they just have the sole 'V' variant which is way over the top.
4. Mitsubishi & Chevy have been singled out as the family is not keen on the brands.
5. Alternatively, i was just thinking, is the idea of getting a Used Accord V6 or Honda CRV any good? See, the situation is this, i had an Accent Viva which was used for 5 1/2 years and clocked just 9,800kms. The car that we will buy will probably meet the same fate.

Please help me out, or else i will get stuck with the rut machine, the Logan. Don't get me wrong, nothing bad about the car, the F.E. is phenomenonally fantastic and is humungously spacious, only its not a driver's car, its a pain to drive because of the heavy clutch and relatively poor top end performance.
Old 13th July 2009, 17:20   #53
BHPian

Wait for the Chevy Cruze.
Old 13th July 2009, 17:29   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
Wait for the Chevy Cruze.
Chevy is not acceptable to his family i guess.

The kind of low usage of your viva makes me feel, its waste to invest on a new car for 10L+. .You better go for second hand Accord.You ll have the better car and when you resale after some time, it may not be a pain.
Old 13th July 2009, 17:45   #55
BHPian

Sorry for Corolla owners But i think that vehicle looks very sad i wouldnt want to be seen in that ugly looking vehicle (personally no offense meant). I guess if you running such low mileage second hand Skoda Laura or an Sonata Embera Transform(CRDI) would be great.
Old 13th July 2009, 17:54   #56
BHPian

I would second the used Honda Accord option. With that, you get a lot of car for relatively reasonable money. I've seen ads for used 2005/06 V6s for INR 8 - 10 lakhs, depending on mileage. Only downside being the fuel guzzling propensity of the accord. But, as you say, if your usage is minimal, there's very little that can beat this proposition.
Old 13th July 2009, 18:10   #57
BHPian

Something like this maybe, the 2005 version. Actually even the 2.4 would suffice, i say.

Upgrading from Logan - Octavia vs Civic vs Altis - Give me your frank opnion-accord.jpg

But don't all the Honda Sedans inherit the Low GC/Soft Suspension Setup? I have to begin my hunt for a new/used car anyhow this week and make my decision.
Old 13th July 2009, 20:25   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
Sorry for Corolla owners But i think that vehicle looks very sad i wouldnt want to be seen in that ugly looking vehicle (personally no offense meant). I guess if you running such low mileage second hand Skoda Laura or an Sonata Embera Transform(CRDI) would be great.
Agreed it isnt exactly a hot looking car...never has been. Toyotas are known for their rather bland designs. But the new Camry looks hot. It has presence.

But consider this - Skodas dont sell the way Toyotas (or Hondas) do worldwide and never will! Skoda as a brand comes rather low on the global totem pole of car manufacturers no matter their claim to be "Obsessed with quality since 1895" Rrrrrrright.

Shall we say then a great majority of vehicle owners prefer to go with average looking but reliable vehicles with acceptable levels of performance, reasonable maintenance and running costs? The sales speak for the company.

Rgds,
Old 13th July 2009, 20:32   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
That speaks volumes about your trust in brand Toyota.
My father had a Toyota back in the 1970s when I was a kid. This is the 3rd in the family. Neither my Dad nor I have had a reason to regret it so far.

Close your eyes and go in for a Toyota or a Honda. You wont go wrong.

Rgds,
Old 13th July 2009, 21:42   #60
BHPian

After having read all of your posts, this is what i can suggest to you in the order of preference:
1. Used Accord 2.4/3.0 V6
2. Octy Tpi, yeah right!
3. Cedia

Trust me dude you dont want to buy that altis
For once go by your heart, you will get enough chances to go by your head throughout your life. For once take a decision which gives pleasure to YOU rather then your wallet.
i hope i have added to your confusion!

Most Viewed