Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2009, 22:07   #16
GKS
BHPian

I suggest Toyota Corolla, looks good, feels good, safe, good resale value, too many extras comes as standard fittings and Toyota after sale service is the best that can be. But be advised the waiting period can take its toll.
Old 31st August 2009, 23:37   #17
BHPian

guys so after much deliberation its now down to the altis or the civic .does it make sense to wait for the cruze ?any idea as to when would the bookings be open ?launch date ?also does it make sense to chip in a bit more and go in for the new Grand vitara?
Old 1st September 2009, 12:31   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

As a Mumbai resident, you know the traffic is getting worse everyday. Since you have an Endeavor, does it make sense getting another SUV?
Between the Civic and the Corolla, this is how it is:
- Civic: Drivers car, low seating, good interiors and exteriors. Poor VFM, Problems getting in and out for old people and tall people, half of mumbai owns one!
- Corolla: The practical buy, much more comfortable, better servicing, more snob value, very good VFM. Not as breathtaking as Civic, it is more of a practical buy and not an emotional one.

This is how I see it, if I were buying a car for myself, it would be the Civic. If I were buying one for my family, it would be the Corolla.
Old 1st September 2009, 13:20   #19
BHPian

As already said in previous posts,

If you love driving, the choice is simple - It is Civic but the Laura 1.8 TSI is a better car leaving aside Skoda's reputation.

If you want a practical and comfortable car - go for Corolla. But as an ex-owner of the previous gen Corolla, I woud say it offers nothing to an enthusiast driver. It just DROP DEAD BORING although it is highly relaible and parts are dirt cheap when compared to other similarly priced European cars. I would rather look at the Sonata if I have budget since a Corolla is no better to Sonata in terms of handling and Sonata is one level up in the ladder.

Last edited by novice : 1st September 2009 at 13:24.
Old 1st September 2009, 13:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
As a Mumbai resident, you know the traffic is getting worse everyday. Since you have an Endeavor, does it make sense getting another SUV?
Between the Civic and the Corolla, this is how it is:
- Civic: Drivers car, low seating, good interiors and exteriors. Poor VFM, Problems getting in and out for old people and tall people, half of mumbai owns one!
- Corolla: The practical buy, much more comfortable, better servicing, more snob value, very good VFM. Not as breathtaking as Civic, it is more of a practical buy and not an emotional one.

This is how I see it, if I were buying a car for myself, it would be the Civic. If I were buying one for my family, it would be the Corolla.

Thanks @lamborghini, I don't mind having another SUV, it becomes difficult at times with the ENDY when it comes to parking in small lanes. It is more for a family transport, on occasions where 7-8 people need to travel. The Grand vitara is smaller as compared to the EDNY and almost like the Ford fusion in terms practicality within city limits.
Dad and me both are above 6 feet and love driving on our own. Have driven the Corolla altis and share the same opinion like everyone here says that it isnt very peppy to drive. And quiet apprehensive about the civic because it has become very common on road and due to its low ground clearance.

Just enquired about the chevy cruze and they said it might be launched only by end of september.They werent quiet sure though. Still confused :(
Old 1st September 2009, 13:41   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
As already said in previous posts,

If you love driving, the choice is simple - It is Civic but the Laura 1.8 TSI is a better car leaving aside Skoda's reputation.

If you want a practical and comfortable car - go for Corolla. But as an ex-owner of the previous gen Corolla, I woud say it offers nothing to an enthusiast driver. It just DROP DEAD BORING although it is highly relaible and parts are dirt cheap when compared to other similarly priced European cars. I would rather look at the Sonata if I have budget since a Corolla is no better to Sonata in terms of handling and Sonata is one level up in the ladder.
bro, I share the same thought and the only reason being at 16.5lacs on road a sonata having a 2.4 vtvt engine will be a lot more cheaper compared to other cars in the same segment.And maybe upgrading to a 1.6 to a 2.4 liter engine would be more fun. And I havent seen much of reviews on this forum from owners of the transform. But where the A.S.S is concerned maybe the hyundai in India is more reliable than a Skoda. What say you ??
Old 1st September 2009, 13:48   #22
BHPian

@hvishwanathan:
As far as A.S.S is concerned , Hyundai is one the best in India, be rest assured.
Old 1st September 2009, 13:58   #23
srinivas9446

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvishwanathan View Post
thank you guys for the quick replies. I am going to take a TD of the cruze. But the chevy guys arent quiet sure on the dates. And I hope it isnt an indefinite wait.
I am well aware of the Laura and its A.S.S, but I face the same problem coming to the Ford Fusion and Endeavor I have.
Altis is value for money but giving it a second thought Sonata Transform having a price tag of 16.5 OTR with a 2.4 lit petrol engine guess will make it VFM. I mean enjoying at a lesser price point a higher category sedan in the category of an Accord, superb etc..
Vishu,

as per the OVERDRIVE reviews on TV, it will be on road in two weeks time...just and confirm with the dealer. I suppose its not a indefinite wait.

CRUZE will be a change from the other cars....just wait....the car looks pretty good, well loaded too, but for a small cabin space.

Old 1st September 2009, 14:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
But where the A.S.S is concerned maybe the hyundai in India is more reliable than a Skoda. What say you ??
No doubt on that one, Skoda's $$$ is probably the worst going by the ownership reports on this forum.

But I also warn you that there was an Overdrive shootout report few years back in-which they placed Sonata Embera at the bottom of the ranking with a comment saying the Embera is given the last rank only because that is the least ranking they have. But this shootout was with other big boys Accord, Mondeo and Merc C.

If the choice is between Altis and Sonata, leave aside the fact that Sonata is bigger with a larger Engine, just test drive both and compare how they perform against each other. Every car has its own stregths and weaknesses, so it finally comes down to what you like/dislike and what are your priorities?
Old 1st September 2009, 14:50   #25
Team-BHP Support

Cruze is stunning, both from the exterior and interiors (at least what the pics suggest). If it is priced right, it would make quite a compelling case for itself.
Old 1st September 2009, 15:37   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Cruze is stunning, both from the exterior and interiors (at least what the pics suggest). If it is priced right, it would make quite a compelling case for itself.
Acording to one of the dealers here in mumbai, cruze is expected to be in the price range of 13-15 lacs on road.
Old 1st September 2009, 15:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
No doubt on that one, Skoda's $$$ is probably the worst going by the ownership reports on this forum.

But I also warn you that there was an Overdrive shootout report few years back in-which they placed Sonata Embera at the bottom of the ranking with a comment saying the Embera is given the last rank only because that is the least ranking they have. But this shootout was with other big boys Accord, Mondeo and Merc C.

If the choice is between Altis and Sonata, leave aside the fact that Sonata is bigger with a larger Engine, just test drive both and compare how they perform against each other. Every car has its own stregths and weaknesses, so it finally comes down to what you like/dislike and what are your priorities?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
@hvishwanathan:
As far as A.S.S is concerned , Hyundai is one the best in India, be rest assured.
Do you guys know any owners of the Sonata Transform ? I have scheduled the test drives this coming weekend. Heard this afternoon from a close friend who owns a Tuscon that Hyundai service centers do not maintain ready inventory for some parts for their premium sedans and the Tuscon. Is it true ??
Old 1st September 2009, 17:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Heard this afternoon from a close friend who owns a Tuscon that Hyundai service centers do not maintain ready inventory for some parts for their premium sedans and the Tuscon. Is it true ??
I think you shouldn't be worried about this. Dealers usually stock only regular service parts for cars in this category. I had to wait for couple of days and at times even for weeks to get parts(Clutch, Clutch Cylinders, Brake Discs etc) for my Corolla. It is the normal practice with most of the dealers. The real problem comes when the Manufacturer themself runout of stock and place orders with thier suppliers only when a customer needs something.

This is what Ford do everytime I place an order for a part for my Mondeo.
Old 2nd September 2009, 13:57   #29
BHPian

The Cruze will be out soon, probably the end of this month. I have been in the exact same dilemma as you. Same budget similar running patterns. I had my heart set on the fortuner and was willing to stretch my budget to it but thanks to the waiting list I have decided against it.
Then drove the Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI an was impressed with its performance but decided to wait for the chevy cruze after listening to the horror *** stories of Skoda dealers.
Although I don't really need a diesel I don't mind the savings on the fuel bills and the extra torque as well.
Some of the features like the key less entry and start stop button are a novelty for this segment.
Just waiting for it to be launched and a Test Drive to finalize my decision.
Old 2nd September 2009, 14:04   #30
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

1) Wait for Cruz- for something nice and fresh
2) If you cant bear to go to the service centre and want reliablity even if the car is boring for the driver - go for Altis
3) Want excitement go for the Laura 1.8 Petrol - Wow - lots of smiles while driving the car. 1% chance does exist of a bad service issue.
4) Civic (new) - but low ground clearance means that you would have to drive slow over rough roads.
5) Grand vitara - takes you into SUV range
6) Safari Vx- would also be fun if you can spare a bit of service time and like the size.
7) Sonata X'form has poor resale but not too much poorer than the safari or the vitara so why not.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks