Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2009, 09:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Optra magnum can also be considered Premium Features + sedan,the basic model is 10.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcoolgadgets View Post
Budget Sedan (VFM): Dzire LDi OR Fiesta D OR Logan

Premium Features Sedan: Verna Diesel SX OR Fiat Linea Diesel OR the new Dzire ZDi

Premium Features + Pure Power (under 10 lakhs): Verna Diesel SX only!

I suggest you take a test ride in each one and decide what you like.
Old 4th September 2009, 10:05   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Optra magnum can also be considered Premium Features + sedan,the basic model is 10.5L
No way the Optra basic model can be considered premium. It does not even have a basic safety feature like ABS, let alone a CD/MP3 player, Climate Control, Airbags, or Alloy wheels.
Old 4th September 2009, 12:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

@ Goswami: Which part in the cow belt are you talking about.

Even though the DZire doesn't look too go IMO that is the only choice you have because to the service availability which cannot be matched by any other manufacturer.

Cheers
Old 4th September 2009, 19:22   #19
BHPian

This weekend I have planned a test drive in the following order
1. Verna CRDI SX (I luv the engine specs)
2. Fiesta D ZXI (ABS at this price )
3. Take a look and sit inside a Dzire ZDI at the showroom (They don't have a demo ZDI)
4. Linea D Emotion
Old 4th September 2009, 20:08   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goswami.j View Post
With that powerful engine I am under the impression that only the Verna will have that instant pickup required to shoulder your way into the gaps offered in traffic flow - why you consider it unable to dart in and out ? - the handling or the low end power ?
That's because of the turbo lag in the verna, the fiesta is much easier to drive in congested traffic because it has minimal turbo lag. If you wanted a car for the highways, it's a no-brainer, a verna would win hands down but for city traffic, you need driveability, not peak horsepower and that's where a fiesta scores over the verna.
Old 5th September 2009, 01:33   #21
BHPian

Verna CRDi is ruled out if you are not going to drive on highways.

To get better FE inside the city and for better driveability, you can go for either Fiesta, Fiat Linea or Swift Dezire.
Old 5th September 2009, 03:49   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

@goswami:
I was against the Verna for darting in and out of traffic because even though it has lots of power, there is a lot of turbo lag! I doubt you will be able to spin the turbo in time to make the gap. Also, the fiesta has the best visibility in its class. One can see right till the end of the bonnet from the drivers seat.

@newcoolgadgets: I disagree with your segmentation. It should ideally read like this:
Budget Sedan: Dzire or Logan (The fiesta is a class above in terms of price, quality, etc, even though it is great VFM)
Premium features sedan: Linea, Fiesta, SX4 (The fiesta has features which are missing in the Verna for a lower price. Even the Verna doesn't come with Airbags etc.)
Premium features + Pure Power: None!
VFM Sedan: Fiesta, Dzire, SX4, Linea, Optra
self drive sedan: Fiesta, Verna (50:50 - power, but poor suspension)
Chauffeur driven sedan: SX4, Verna, Optra Magnum, Linea!
Old 5th September 2009, 08:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
-1. Should be able to dart in and out of the traffic with ease (largely autos, trucks, riff-raff)
-2. A good road presence so as not to be bullied by the Scorpios , Innvoas, Sumos and the diesel autos
-3. Able to handle pot-holed road
-4. 20% chauffer driven , 80 % self
-5. No higway driving (or maybe once in 2years)
-6. Fuel Efficient (Diesel ?)
-7. Budget < 10 L
IMHO, for Diesel.

1) Swift Dzire
2) Verna
3) Ford Fiesta

For petrol.

1) SX4
2) Fiesta.

If you are OK with MUV, try Xylo. Its very comfortable and no body will dare to bully you.

Verna diesel has turbo lag which can be irritating. Also the suspension is not that good. Swift Dzire has sturdy suspension and can take abuse as this car is able to survive on roads of my locality.
SX4 has stiff suspension, Fiesta will be enjoyed by your driver if you buy one. Buy Fiesta in either petrol or diesel if you are planning to drive more yourself.
Old 8th September 2009, 01:44   #24
BHPian

100 km/day, will reqire a good maintaince.

Better go for a Verna (its a hyundai) in sedan or innova in suv.
Old 8th September 2009, 09:05   #25
BHPian

Hi ,

I would suggest go for a test drive of the Optra Magnum,,its not listed by too many ppl on this forum but it is a really understated car,, it had good road presence and decent average for you driving requirements and with the Cruze coming in anytime you can get a very good discount too (depends on How much you can Bargain)

As mentioned by Ramsagar have a test drive then decide !!

1) Optra Magnum
2) Fiesta
3) SX4
4) Tata Safari / Scorpio MHawk
5)Lenia
Old 8th September 2009, 09:55   #26
BANNED

+1 to that. Try the Magnum Diesel, it is a road rocket and the service package offered by Chevrolet too is very hard to beat.
Old 8th September 2009, 09:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
1) Optra Magnum
2) Fiesta
3) SX4
4) Tata Safari / Scorpio MHawk
5)Lenia
Of the above, cows and rustic male folks will only give way for Safari/Scorpio. SX4 for cowbelt???
Old 8th September 2009, 13:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Of the above, cows and rustic male folks will only give way for Safari/Scorpio. SX4 for cowbelt???
Quote:
Hi I am looking for a sedan that will be driven in one of the cities of the cowbelt with a daily run of about 100 kms.

The requirements are
-1. Should be able to dart in and out of the traffic with ease (largely autos, trucks, riff-raff)
-2. A good road presence so as not to be bullied by the Scorpios , Innvoas, Sumos and the diesel autos
-3. Able to handle pot-holed road
-4. 20% chauffer driven , 80 % self
-5. No higway driving (or maybe once in 2years)
-6. Fuel Efficient (Diesel ?)
-7. Budget < 10 L

I have shortlisted the Verna CRDI SX , Dzire ZDI , or wait for some more launches ?
Safari/Scorpio Rule .

Sz4 Kindoff sufficies the needs listed my Mr goswami and its in his Budget too but again if its a Diesel my best bet is look for a 2 Ltr Engine or higher .
Old 9th September 2009, 18:36   #29
BHPian

Had a test drive planned for the weekend.
Heres my take
1. Fiat Linea Emotion Pack - Gorgeous looks, looks regal and definitely C+ segement - unfortunately the exteriors do not match the interiors
1. Rear head room is cramped (I am 6') - guess the huge boot takes the pace
2. Poor ground clearence - hit the front on a small dug up section just outside the showroom - a no no for me given the bumps and the roads on some stretches
3. 25,000 cash discount
4. Only one dealership - not exactly known for service or customer focus

2. Hyundai Verna CRDI SX
1. External - OK , Side profile looks good , overall looks kinda small , I mistook the alloys for a wheel cover !
2. Internals - Spacious , rear seet also comfortable, does not give that sitting on the floor of the elantra - the wood finish is cool
3. Drive - superb, the way the tachometer climbs reminds me of my school days on Yamaha RX 100
4. Free insurance , cash discount of 22,000
5. Didnt see the car moving towards the left or right , the rear also did not feel very bouncy (was a short drive of 10Kms)
6. Dealer gave me a brand new car for test drive with 40kms on the odometer- said no demo car saar .. expensive car saar - thats bad
7. 2 Dealers in town.

Dzire ZDI

Just had a look , no need for test drive , looks hideous..
Next on line is the fiesta sxi .. else will get the Verna SXI seems to meet my need.
What do you guys think ?
No SUV for me now.. thannks guys for the scorpio/safari/xylo suggestions

p.s the sxi no longer has the disc brakes on rear wheels - dealer siad discountined from aug'09 models
Old 9th September 2009, 20:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Well - I'd say pick out the Verna CRDI Sxi ABS.

I drive 90 % of the time in Agra which is loaded with traffic ( one of the worst cities in India traffic wise ) and it drives excellent. In fact I have driven a lot of cars in & around town BUT I find the Verna to be a good city car, although the car is meant for the highway as well.

The driving position / seating is excellent.
AC is the best amongst it's class.
AT option also available.
Hyundai Service and after sales is good.

The other option I would highly recommend is the FIAT LINEA. One of the best looking cars I have seen in a long time and excellent VFM and fully feature rich.

You decide

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks