Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2009, 13:06   #16
BHPian

Hi Monaro,
A year back I was exactly in the same dilemma. I was confused whether to buy a bigger older car (01-02 baleno, lancer) or a 2-3 year old smaller car (santro or alto). I eventually settled for a 2 year Alto. I think since its going to be your first car its best to buy a car thats easy to run and maintain. I know that you'd rather be seen in a Mondeo than a Fusion or Santro but I think after 3-4 months maintaining your Mondeo your going to regret your decision.

Also being a car enthusiast I'm sure your going to buy lots of accessories. I ended up spending 50k in accessories for my Alto. I think you should take that into consideration along with the running costs.
Old 26th November 2009, 13:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Lol. so an internal keeping up with the joneses. Delhi waali biimari

No solution in that case. Baleno is definitely a good way out, esp in Delhi!
Old 26th November 2009, 13:20   #18
Team-BHP Support

“Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.”
-- Will Smith.

Your idea of buying a car is driven by Snob value it brings. It is not (IMHO) a good point for buying a car.

I mean no offense and sorry if it appears that way.
Old 26th November 2009, 13:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
“Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.”
-- Will Smith.

Your idea of buying a car is driven by Snob value it brings. It is not (IMHO) a good point for buying a car.

I mean no offense and sorry if it appears that way.
Very true. However, to answer Monaro's question without thinking about that.
I was looking to help find a second hand car for my parents (the difference is that my Dad knows a lot about cars, way more than me) and eventually we decided on the Fusion.

What actually helped us was the fact that the Fusion is a well engineered car and shares most of it's mechanicals with the Fiesta and Ford has actually brought down spare part prices by a large margin (not the Mondy though). That along with Ford's renewed focus on the India market (with the Figo) made us go for a Fusion. A second hand car is always a gamble but less so if you have a person who knows cars check it out thoroughly.

In case you had to choose between the two, the Fusion makes infinitely more sense. Go for it.
Old 26th November 2009, 13:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

How about used Elantra? Cheaper on the wallet, maintenance as well.
Old 26th November 2009, 14:28   #21
BHPian

A sincere advice from someone who bought a used 2002 Mondeo....

Stay away from Mondeo's unless you really know what you are getting into and prepared to take all the hardships for what the car offers. Yes, the car is fantastic and comes at a cheap price but it is a real pain to maintain. The actual problem is not with the car but with Ford dealers. They are incompetent to handle Mondeos and they can't troubleshoot even minor issues.

It is a fairly relaible car but some parts have a limited life time. For example a 2002 Mondeo would need a fuel pump, Clutch Assembly and Cylinders, DMF and a complete overhaul of suspension, Brake Discs etc.,

Expect to spend atleast 3 lack rupees upfront to repair a 2002 Mondeo provided the car is well maintained. I would suggest you look for a 2005/2006 Mondeo. Do not buy a car manufactured before June 2002. Cars manufactured before that have a nasty inlet manifold peoblem which could ruin the Engine completely.

Also first find good mechanic before you decide to buy one.

Hope this helps.

- Novice.
Old 26th November 2009, 14:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

@Monaro
The Accords will be much cheaper to run than the Mondeo. And why do you call it a dated model??? You can get a 05-06 Accord for under 5L, which is not too bad considering the model was only discontinued in late 08 or early 09.
Old 26th November 2009, 14:53   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro View Post
btw does having ur 'Maama' work in Ford as the Marketing Head (North) make things any better??
1. Check out the Figo when it comes
2. Like it? Ask your maama to get it for you in his name with some employee discount. This should be closer to your current budget.
3. As you start earning more, save for a multi stage mod job, ICE, alloys etc. This package comes with a free offer many people call as, "peace of mind" and you can be happy to have a unique car as well with the mods.

Why am I telling this? I have spent my savings to mod the Ikon to just keep it running in stock. I added alloys and a decent ICE setup only so far. Dream to add some body kit remained a dream and now I've lost interest itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
A sincere advice from someone who bought a used 2002 Mondeo....

Stay away from Mondeo's unless you really know what you are getting into and prepared to take all the hardships for what the car offers. Yes, the car is fantastic and comes at a cheap price but it is a real pain to maintain. The actual problem is not with the car but with Ford dealers. They are incompetent to handle Mondeos and they can't troubleshoot even minor issues.

It is a fairly relaible car but some parts have a limited life time. For example a 2002 Mondeo would need a fuel pump, Clutch Assembly and Cylinders, DMF and a complete overhaul of suspension, Brake Discs etc.,

Expect to spend atleast 3 lack rupees upfront to repair a 2002 Mondeo provided the car is well maintained. I would suggest you look for a 2005/2006 Mondeo. Do not buy a car manufactured before June 2002. Cars manufactured before that have a nasty inlet manifold peoblem which could ruin the Engine completely.

Also first find good mechanic before you decide to buy one.

- Novice.
Bang on!
Old 26th November 2009, 15:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Stay away form both. Not advisable for a beginner.
Any Maruti/Hyundai or Honda will do the job for you. To name a few Baleno,City,Accent,Lancer(Not a good A.S.S).

Best choice is, look in for Swift. Would be great & light on pocket.
Old 26th November 2009, 15:37   #25
BHPian

Thanks for the advice guys!

Ok, maybe i am going a little overboard with my choice of car, when i probably wouldn't have the funds to take care of it. So i think Mondeo is pretty much off :(

I think I'll ponder over the few suggestions and look for a nice 'mature' accord, sonata or maybe an Elantra - that sounds nice!, but i wonder if i can find any good ones. Budget is strictly 2.5L-3L max!

Last edited by Monaro : 26th November 2009 at 15:38.
Old 26th November 2009, 15:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

I suggest a used Fiesta (petrol). It is like a Mondeo in a smaller package. You may get one for under 3 lacs.
Old 26th November 2009, 15:56   #27
BHPian

You should be able to get the old gen Sonata or the Elantra GLS/GT for that kind of money 3L. The Sonata with a bigger heart will obviously be expensive to run and maintain and hence I would suggest an Elantra petrol.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys!

Ok, maybe i am going a little overboard with my choice of car, when i probably wouldn't have the funds to take care of it. So i think Mondeo is pretty much off :(

I think I'll ponder over the few suggestions and look for a nice 'mature' accord, sonata or maybe an Elantra - that sounds nice!, but i wonder if i can find any good ones. Budget is strictly 2.5L-3L max!
Old 26th November 2009, 16:01   #28
BHPian

This is what i call typical indian mentality.."BHED CHAL"..
I'm a proud owner of MONDEO for almost 3 yrs now.. and it is one of the best car i have driven till take..as a driver car i find it even better than Present BMW 3 series, Audi A4 and leave apart accords and canary's which are in no comparision with MONDEO.
Rates Car of the year 2003 by OVERDRIVE mondeo is the only car as per them doesn't have any cons.
But still due to bad marketing and initial problems with ford brands it didn't do great in India. The car which has totally sweeped out BMW market from UK at one time and being one of the most successful car in UK euroe and australia failed in india.
I have gone thru the same dilema as you are in 3 years back, but after doin all research i bought it. As per the maintenance part goes it have nothin to do with car thats what i belive..ya parts can be expensive for some cars and cheap for some car..but if u take care of the car it'll always take care of you..In last 3 yrs following is what i have spent on maintenance:
1. Tyre change at 35000km---(its depends on u what u want put--i have put pilot primacy so its bit expensive)
2. Front Tie rod ends changed-- Rs700 for a pair at 50000km's
3. Spark plug changed - Rs 700 per pice X4--at 60000 Km's
4. Air filer changed - Rs 25oo
5. Wipers Changed - Depends on u how much u wan spend..
6. Brake pads changed front and rear- Rs 800 pair.
7. Normal servicing charges at max Rs3000.

All above works done from ford in last 3 yrs so you can imagine what maintenance cost comes out to maintain the car which is not abused ever.
F.E part..i gt easily 10-11 constant in city traffic (e car hard drives it normal) and i have got upto 15km/l in highways..which is like GEM for car of this segment in petrol.where any accord, camary, sonata doesn't even come closer..
Although i'm looking to sell my mondeo now as i have to do trips to my village where i only have to with my swift..as mondeo can't take such roads..so planning to upgrade it with and Tuscon or somethin..
So bro, Think well and if u get good mondeo nothing like it.. enjy driving..whatever u take..
Old 26th November 2009, 16:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

So you seem to have a budget of 3L. Why don't you buy a new Alto? Both the cars you have shortlisted are a bit heavy on maintenance. Out of those two, the Fusion is more practical if you ask me. It shares components with the Fiesta and Fiesta spares prices have been coming down for a while now.
Old 26th November 2009, 17:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Budget is strictly 2.5L-3L max!
Don't just go by the budget.
Remember there are other costs that add up to the total cost of ownership - like cost of maintainance (in used car case, it can be substantially high, and also a sedan has a comparaviely higher cost of maintanance than a hatchback), fuel costs, repair costs, insurance premium.

If i were you, and with that kind of salary, and provided this is my only source of income, i would NEVER even think of getting a used sedan. Would rather settle for a cheap to maintain new Alto/Spark/i10. What's more, you will get loan for the new car so you can easily shell about around 6-7k per month in EMI's and arnd 10-12 k per annum insurance easily.

Just my 2 cents. In the end its your money.

Last edited by DCEite : 26th November 2009 at 17:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks