Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2009, 17:02   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondymk3 View Post
This is what i call typical indian mentality.."BHED CHAL"..
I'm a proud owner of MONDEO for almost 3 yrs now.. and it is one of the best car i have driven till take..as a driver car i find it even better than Present BMW 3 series, Audi A4 and leave apart accords and canary's which are in no comparision with MONDEO.
So bro, Think well and if u get good mondeo nothing like it.. enjy driving..whatever u take..
Now now...you've got me thinking again!
Old 26th November 2009, 17:18   #32
BHPian

It is one of the best car to drive as far i know..u'll fall in love with it everytime u drive it..he he do proper research..and as you are in delhi u'll not find it difficult to even maintain it.. as the car is so popular abroad getting parts is not that difficult..also before u believe in ford people about any problem u faced..makes sure what they sayin is correct..counter chk prob with few people..it once happene that they suggested me to change whole rear suspension and when i did troubleshooting it was loose pipe which was making noise and was fixed with 5 rupee locking hook...
u can buy mine also if u interested although

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by bblost : 27th November 2009 at 10:04.
mondymk3 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th November 2009, 17:28   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Don't just go by the budget.
Remember there are other costs that add up to the total cost of ownership - like cost of maintainance (in used car case, it can be substantially high, and also a sedan has a comparaviely higher cost of maintanance than a hatchback), fuel costs, repair costs, insurance premium.

If i were you, and with that kind of salary, and provided this is my only source of income, i would NEVER even think of getting a used sedan. Would rather settle for a cheap to maintain new Alto/Spark/i10. What's more, you will get loan for the new car so you can easily shell about around 6-7k per month in EMI's and arnd 10-12 k per annum insurance easily.

Just my 2 cents. In the end its your money.
I get your point DCEite, I think I need to work out the numbers and see whats best for me. I know a used car - in this case a used D-segment sedan would cost quite a bit more than probably a hatchback, for maintenance.

I think it basically boils down to seeing if the goodies of the Mondeo are enough to offset the higher price of its maintainance.

More like:

Mondeo(3L) + Maintaince(6k/month) + Goodies = new i10/Swift(4.5L) + Maintainance(2k/month)

..and where does all this lead me to?

god why was I born a libra?
Old 26th November 2009, 17:49   #34
BANNED

Monaro, you seem to be vacillating between cars with completely different USPs.
if you want thrills, pick up the used Mondeo [assuming it is in good condition]. else take a low maintenance car. dont expect the low maintenance cars to be as refined as the Mondeo though because they were never meant to do that. OHCs, Lancers, Balenos and Swifts rattle and shudder at speeds where the Mondeo floats. thats the price you pay for low maintenance.

no matter what you do, find good mechanics who will not take you for a ride. take care of the car and hopefully your only regular monthly maintenance will be fuel.
Old 26th November 2009, 19:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm a proud owner of MONDEO for almost 3 yrs now.. and it is one of the best car i have driven till take..as a driver car i find it even better than Present BMW 3 series, Audi A4 and leave apart accords and canary's which are in no comparision with MONDEO.
Rates Car of the year 2003 by OVERDRIVE mondeo is the only car as per them doesn't have any cons.
But still due to bad marketing and initial problems with ford brands it didn't do great in India. The car which has totally sweeped out BMW market from UK at one time and being one of the most successful car in UK euroe and australia failed in india.
I have gone thru the same dilema as you are in 3 years back, but after doin all research i bought it. As per the maintenance part goes it have nothin to do with car thats what i belive..ya parts can be expensive for some cars and cheap for some car..but if u take care of the car it'll always take care of you..In last 3 yrs following is what i have spent on maintenance:
1. Tyre change at 35000km---(its depends on u what u want put--i have put pilot primacy so its bit expensive)
2. Front Tie rod ends changed-- Rs700 for a pair at 50000km's
3. Spark plug changed - Rs 700 per pice X4--at 60000 Km's
4. Air filer changed - Rs 25oo
5. Wipers Changed - Depends on u how much u wan spend..
6. Brake pads changed front and rear- Rs 800 pair.
7. Normal servicing charges at max Rs3000.

All above works done from ford in last 3 yrs so you can imagine what maintenance cost comes out to maintain the car which is not abused ever.
F.E part..i gt easily 10-11 constant in city traffic (e car hard drives it normal) and i have got upto 15km/l in highways..which is like GEM for car of this segment in petrol.where any accord, camary, sonata doesn't even come closer..
Although i'm looking to sell my mondeo now as i have to do trips to my village where i only have to with my swift..as mondeo can't take such roads..so planning to upgrade it with and Tuscon or somethin..
So bro, Think well and if u get good mondeo nothing like it.. enjy driving..whatever u take..
Nobody over here said that Mondeo is a bad car. I have driven the old as well as the new Mondoe in UK and they are built superbly to last a lifetime. But then it is UK, where people take care of their cars and have to get MOT every yearto road worthiness. As a matter of fact my classic 15 Yr old , 100k Miles done Jaguar didn't have a single problem in the 1 year I owned it except one service which costed 150 pounds and thermostat for 13 pounds.

But things are different in India which you call "Bhed Chal"
Old 28th November 2009, 15:17   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Rates Car of the year 2003 by OVERDRIVE mondeo is the only car as per them doesn't have any cons.
But still due to bad marketing and initial problems with ford brands it didn't do great in India. The car which has totally sweeped out BMW market from UK at one time and being one of the most successful car in UK euroe and australia failed in india.
I have gone thru the same dilema as you are in 3 years back, but after doin all research i bought it. As per the maintenance part goes it have nothin to do with car thats what i belive..ya parts can be expensive for some cars and cheap for some car..but if u take care of the car it'll always take care of you..In last 3 yrs following is what i have spent on maintenance:
1. Tyre change at 35000km---(its depends on u what u want put--i have put pilot primacy so its bit expensive)
2. Front Tie rod ends changed-- Rs700 for a pair at 50000km's
3. Spark plug changed - Rs 700 per pice X4--at 60000 Km's
4. Air filer changed - Rs 25oo
5. Wipers Changed - Depends on u how much u wan spend..
6. Brake pads changed front and rear- Rs 800 pair.
7. Normal servicing charges at max Rs3000.

All above works done from ford in last 3 yrs so you can imagine what maintenance cost comes out to maintain the car which is not abused ever.
F.E part..i gt easily 10-11 constant in city traffic (e car hard drives it normal) and i have got upto 15km/l in highways..which is like GEM for car of this segment in petrol.where any accord, camary, sonata doesn't even come closer..
Although i'm looking to sell my mondeo now as i have to do trips to my village where i only have to with my swift..as mondeo can't take such roads..so planning to upgrade it with and Tuscon or somethin..
I was waiting for your reply
Actually I have read your older posts about Mondeo and helped someone with your feedback.

Someone told me that you should keep the fuel tank filled all the times.
As this is a CBU and is not tweaked for India the fuel tank should not run low very often otherwise the fuel pump will die!
Other things that go wrong with this car is the Music system, seat motors, brake pads etc.
Also go for a post 2002 Mondeo (2003 onwards). As mentioned earlier by novice.

Rest depends on you. I would personally not go for any car which is Modified and specially not a Mondeo.
My recommendation is an Elantra or the Sonata. Old Honda Accord may also end up with big bills if something goes wrong (told by people in Karol Bagh).
Considering that you have just started out I would advise you to avoid all of these cars and go smaller one. The City or Accent would be the best and safest bet.

Good Luck!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks