Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 10:33   #1
RVG

Buying a used Accent Viva (ABS) Petrol?

Hello BHPians,
Your advice is needed urgently. Need to make the deal on urgent basis. Below are the car details.
It's Dec,2004 make Accent Viva (Petrol, Forest dew color) with ABS top end model (with 14" alloys). Registered on March-2005 on known software company. Done 34000 kms till date. Last servicing done on july 2009 at 31000 kms. No major problem.
Car is in showroom condition with fuel tank replaced last year due to hit by big speeed breaker. Even spare wheel is not used. All tyres are stock with make of july-2004. 3 months old battery (amaron make) . Interior is pretty clean and neat. Suspension is fine. No oil leakage at all. Engine compartment is very clean.
Only Right side rear door is re-painted, otherwise total body is showroom condition. Comp. Insurance valid till March-2010 and valuation is Rs:- 2,92,000 /- by insurance company.
The price is fixed at 2.85 lakh. What do you suggest. I don't have much idea about viva model. Please share your views overall about the car and this deal. Shall i go for it ?

RVG
Indica V2 DLS 2004
Old 4th January 2010, 11:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

so 5 year old car but total running (mileage done) seems low.
I had a Accent GLS Petrol (2004 model) and sold it after 3.5 years ie some time in 2007 end at Rs.3.5L (Viva was about 40/50k costlier than GLS then, however Viva was discontinued after few months?).
Yes, Rs.2.85 L seems okay but since outdated model, you may find it difficult if you need to dispose her later on?
Rs.2.75 L would be a good buy, if available - These all strictly my opinion only and
you may get better suggestions from othe members !
Old 4th January 2010, 12:07   #3
BHPian

The car seems to be a very good car, as such i love Viva and with such low running and good maintenance, seems like an excellent buy !!
My only complaint is the asking price... 2.85 for a 5+ year old Accent is little too high IMO. However considering the condition and running of the car, If I were you, I would offer anything around 2.5L and settle somewhere around that figure... but I dont know the market in HYD, so, leave it to you to go by the gut feel about the final price... good luck for that car... VIVA is one peppy FTD car
Old 4th January 2010, 12:51   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

its a good car no doubt but it is a 5 year old car - therefore you should be able to negotiate down to a more reasonable price - say 2.5 ish max.
plus its odd that the spare wheel has never been used! - to ensure even wear and tear the spare wheel needs to come into play every now and then when the car goes for normal tyre balancing and wheel alignment - at least this is the normal procedure with any car.
Do have the underbody checked for rust and have the suspension/ electricals etc given a once-over by a decent mechanic before committing on the price aspect.
Old 4th January 2010, 17:16   #5
RVG

I negotiated from 3 lakhs to 2.85. Owner was not at all ready below 2.85 Lakh as he maintained it very well. Also checked all history which is clean..no accident etc. Will close the deal this week and update more on this. Thanks for your replies.
Old 4th January 2010, 19:02   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVG View Post
I negotiated from 3 lakhs to 2.85. Owner was not at all ready below 2.85 Lakh as he maintained it very well. Also checked all history which is clean..no accident etc. Will close the deal this week and update more on this. Thanks for your replies.
It was hit by a speed-breaker and also the door is re-painted. Are these not accidents ?
Old 4th January 2010, 19:18   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians,
Car is in showroom condition with fuel tank replaced last year due to hit by big speeed breaker.
This part is a bit annoying for me. If the speed breaker have hit his tank is such a way to replace it then something else should have happened. Please do an under body check.
The price part is not that bad for a car in an excellent condition ( i should specify EXCELLENT CONDITION). it come in the band of the price for 2004 VIVA.
Old 4th January 2010, 19:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

2.85 only and only if it is in the condition decsribed. Else 2.5 Lacs is what I would pay.

Please check underbody damage as everyone suggests here since a change of fuel tank is rarely heard in normal speed breaker hits. It is after all well made.
Old 4th January 2010, 19:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Accent VIVA petrol. Hmmm, Sports attempt by hyundai returning not so great mileage. 2.85 is good if he has maintained it well and the ODO reading is genuine.
My neighbour did 1 L kms in his VIVA petrol and was asking 2L for it.
Take it for 2.85 I'd say. IFF everything is geniune.
Old 4th January 2010, 20:14   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel 2.5L could be reasonable. The car will depreciate to a price much below Rs 2 L in the next three years or so.Petrol Vivas are not a favourite in the second hand car market.
Also as friends have said do an underbody check as the petrol tank replacement though may be for some genuine reason,needs to be investigated just for the right answer.I remember a friend of mine who during long distance driving hit his passenger-full Maruti 800 on a speedbreaker and damaged the petrol tank.He replaced the petrol tank using the insurance claims.
Old 5th January 2010, 10:03   #11
RVG

Quote:
@anjan_c2007
Also as friends have said do an underbody check as the petrol tank replacement though may be for some genuine reason,needs to be investigated just for the right answer.
For last 2 months i am searching "best used car" for me. I have test driven around 20 cars (OHC 2001,Viva 2006,Corolla 2004,Accent CRDI 2004 etc etc) in hyderabad.
This was the car that i liked at first place which was matching all my criteria. Each and evry part of body (including under body, shocks etc, panel gaps, rusting, new welding parts etc) is inspected by professional technician. No sign of accident or broken body part at all. Even the rust treatment paint is still intact, which i may need to do after i get the car.
I didn't mind paying extra 10K for this genune buy ! What do you say? After all peace of mind is required after buying second hand car.
Old 5th January 2010, 11:48   #12
BHPian

RVG,

Post the pictures, if you have ?
Old 5th January 2010, 12:10   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Having owned three pre-owned cars,let me tell you not to do things in haste.It is frustrating at not closing the search after two months.But please remember -patience pays.It is your cash after all.

Please check for availability of parts(and approx prices) for the Viva in your City.This prepares you mentally for what lies ahead.

If you have got the car inspected by someone you trust is competent, and you also genuinely like the car,go for it.But as guys said,it is an out-of-production model.So negotiate hard.
Old 5th January 2010, 20:45   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For last 2 months i am searching "best used car" for me. I have test driven around 20 cars (OHC 2001,Viva 2006,Corolla 2004,Accent CRDI 2004 etc etc) in hyderabad.
This was the car that i liked at first place which was matching all my criteria. Each and evry part of body (including under body, shocks etc, panel gaps, rusting, new welding parts etc) is inspected by professional technician. No sign of accident or broken body part at all. Even the rust treatment paint is still intact, which i may need to do after i get the car.
I didn't mind paying extra 10K for this genune buy ! What do you say? After all peace of mind is required after buying second hand car.
I think the Hyundai authorised sales and service people will be happy to do a check on your selected Viva. You can go for it if you are thoroughly satisfied with the car. The old tyres may set you back by some Rs 8-10K.The battery you say is new and won't be bothersome for the next few years.
I have used and seen friends use second hand cars most of which have turned out fine.Not all second hand cars let you down.One must be very, very selective and see every possible hidden gremlin thats likely to get out in the open sooner or later.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 5th January 2010 at 20:48.
Old 8th January 2010, 17:15   #15
RVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
It was hit by a speed-breaker and also the door is re-painted. Are these not accidents ?
As per suggestion by our friends here, i took car to the laksmhi hyundai service center Jubille hills. Fortunately i met with the same works manager who looked after this car for last 1-1.5 years. He told it wasn't accident at all. Previous owner comapined about some crack near fuel tank. Actually it was a minor job but as car was owned by the company as per company policy they have to change the whole tank assembly(Company pays, who cares). It was not the total right door but right side part near to boot is painted. My mistake.

RVG

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks