Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2010, 15:39   #1
BHPian

Second hand 1.6L car , Pune? EDIT : Bought Baleno

I am looking for a 2nd hand car in Pune and have come down to the following choices -

1. Baleno
2. Optra 1.6
3. Accent Viva
4. OHC , vtec

I would prefer the car to be not older than 6 years (I guess that rules out OHC).

I would like to know the maintenance costs , running costs(max FE) and availability of spares (from the list above) from owners.

I expect to drive the car 45-50 kms a week and a long drive of 300-400 kms a month.

The budget is limited to 3L which would include "souping it up" too if needed.

I would also ask the fellow members here about a Baleno deal - Jul 06 vxi , bs3 version , 60k kms run for 2.75L . The owner plans to give a one year warranty (or 15000kms ) on engine and gearbox. The car has alloys and tubeless tyres. Is there a good mechanic to whom I can show the car for expert opinion?

Please advise/recommend

EDIT: Full service history is not traceable to any dealer but all bills are available.

Last edited by niks_devil666 : 20th January 2010 at 15:42.
Old 20th January 2010, 15:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi @Niks.
First, your title says 1.6L (I am assuming the engine capacity) and in the post it says you have 3L to shell.
Assuming 3L as the correct financial figure and out of the list, I would say Baleno from the top of my head.
Easy on spares and maintenance and oodles of 1.6ltr power.
OHC Vtech I think would be a tight bargain for 3L. Again it would be > 6 years life. So that would not be in accordance to your initial requirement.

Next Accent and lastly Optra.
If you can slip below 1.6 ltr you could get a great and less used Ford Ikon with a ROCAM having a reputation of being a great josh machine to drive.
Maintenance would be on the higher side here but, if you get a 2005-06 car, and keep it for 2 years, I think it should be a good deal.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 20th January 2010 at 15:51.
Old 20th January 2010, 15:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
I am looking for a 2nd hand car in Pune and have come down to the following choices -

1. Baleno
2. Optra 1.6
3. Accent Viva
4. OHC , vtec

I would prefer the car to be not older than 6 years (I guess that rules out OHC).
Never rule out the OHC. Ever. You will still get spares. And it's fun to drive! Maintenance is very minimal.

Quote:
I would also ask the fellow members here about a Baleno deal - Jul 06 vxi , bs3 version , 60k kms run for 2.75L . The owner plans to give a one year warranty (or 15000kms ) on engine and gearbox. The car has alloys and tubeless tyres. Is there a good mechanic to whom I can show the car for expert opinion?
How are the tyres? Lifewise?

Seems to be a good deal. Try to come down to 2.5L.

How can you be sure the owner will stick to his word regarding warrantee?

Show the car to the nearest M.A.S.S. and get an opinion from them about work that needs to be done and expenses.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 20th January 2010 at 15:58. Reason: typo
Old 20th January 2010, 15:59   #4
BHPian

1.6ltr Ikon would be good choice too. You should be able to get it cheaper. Availability of parts will not be a problem for Ikon. I have a 2005 model Ikon which has done 88k kms so far. Havent faced any trouble so far. If you service it properly it would give any trouble. I did not find the service cost to be high.
Old 20th January 2010, 16:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Hi @Niks.
First, your title says 1.6L (I am assuming the engine capacity) and in the post it says you have 3L to shell.
Assuming 3L as the correct financial figure and out of the list, I would say Baleno from the top of my head.
Easy on spares and maintenance and oodles of 1.6ltr power.
OHC Vtech I think would be a tight bargain for 3L. Again it would be > 6 years life. So that would not be in accordance to your initial requirement.

Next Accent and lastly Optra.
If you can slip below 1.6 ltr you could get a great and less used Ford Ikon with a ROCAM having a reputation of being a great josh machine to drive.
Maintenance would be on the higher side here but, if you get a 2005-06 car, and keep it for 2 years, I think it should be a good deal.
Hope this helps.
Sorry about the confusion of 1.6 and 3L , I want a 1.6ltr engined car for less than 3L (there goes my ninja money sob sob).

I have ruled out the ikon after reading tbhp threads

Thanks for the suggestions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Never rule out the OHC. Ever. You will still get spares. And it's fun to drive! Maintenance is very minimal.

How are the tyres? Lifewise?

Seems to be a good deal. Try to come down to 2.5L.

How can you be sure the owner will stick to his word regarding warrantee?

Show the car to the nearest M.A.S.S. and get an opinion from them about work that needs to be done and expenses.
even I am expecting to get it for 2.5.Tyres are ok , should last for 15000 kms I guess. Battery is still in warranty.

Warranty , even I am not sure about that ... but lets see how things will work with that since I didn't discuss it in detail.

Is there any other mech in pune where I can show it or MASS would be the best place to head to ?

Last edited by niks_devil666 : 20th January 2010 at 16:10.
Old 20th January 2010, 16:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:

There are lot of love stories about Ikons hear on this forum. May be you missed them
Old 20th January 2010, 16:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

You didn't say why you are looking for 1600cc car? What are your criteria to choose one?
Old 20th January 2010, 17:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I would not say that you also need to look at ikon as well. But i would definitly say that Ikon is not a bad car to be afraid off! check out the thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...pees-less.html
Old 20th January 2010, 21:29   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdrive View Post
There are lot of love stories about Ikons hear on this forum. May be you missed them
Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
I would not say that you also need to look at ikon as well. But i would definitly say that Ikon is not a bad car to be afraid off! check out the thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...pees-less.html
I read many reviews on the servicing costs etc + the cars that I am finding are quite old (2000-2002 models) hence decided to opt against it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
You didn't say why you are looking for 1600cc car? What are your criteria to choose one?
Occasional use and fun to drive car. And I don't want hatch backs. Already drove a lot of m800/alto/santro.

Which car do you wish to recommend?
Old 20th January 2010, 23:59   #10
BHPian

i am using OHC and baleno since years.if you love to drive in city go for OHC.if you want best highway car and looks doesnt matter for you then close your eyes and go for baleno.its THE BEST car!but spares are damn expensive.about o6 model deal its really good.you will get climate control also!
Old 21st January 2010, 00:40   #11
BHPian

My choice :

1-> Baleno
2-> OHC
3-> Lancer (Maintainence is on the higher side but a drivers car)
4-> Accent

You can even get a Elentra by increasing your budget by 1L.
Old 21st January 2010, 07:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

^^Correct you can get a fair Lancer in 3L. 2003 - 04 ish. Maintenance is on the higher side though. But if you get a clean Baleno then that should be it.
Old 21st January 2010, 07:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
i am using OHC and baleno since years.if you love to drive in city go for OHC.if you want best highway car and looks doesnt matter for you then close your eyes and go for baleno.its THE BEST car!but spares are damn expensive.about o6 model deal its really good.you will get climate control also!
Yeah it has climate control too , I would wait till the mech says the car is good and no major works required just like the owner is saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
My choice :

1-> Baleno
2-> OHC
3-> Lancer (Maintainence is on the higher side but a drivers car)
4-> Accent

You can even get a Elentra by increasing your budget by 1L.
Increasing budget is out of question ... I guess baleno it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
^^Correct you can get a fair Lancer in 3L. 2003 - 04 ish. Maintenance is on the higher side though. But if you get a clean Baleno then that should be it.
I hope the baleno deal I am looking at is a good one.

Thanks for the suggestions guys

BTW , The OHC deals I saw were decent ones , 2000 model , 60k kms run - 2.4ish , 96k kms run - 2.3ish . How do they sound , reasonable or overpriced?

I haven't looked at lancers yet.
Old 21st January 2010, 08:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

If the 2000 OHC is genuine 60K kms then look at it hard.
There is a lancer in the marketplace section 2004 white and in Pune.
You'd want to look at it. Bugger stays somewhere near Lullanagar.
Old 22nd January 2010, 07:30   #15
BHPian

I am getting the baleno looked at today , will update the thread on the outcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks