Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 21:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

@KPzen - Interesting. Tell me how do you know the exact number. Engineering chhod ke admin ban gaye? Started maintaining the employee car database?
Old 7th March 2010, 08:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
vkochar - Is the verna really that cheap . That is 6.5 lacs . Last i had enquired it was almost nearing 8L for the base variant.
In fact that was what made me spend additional 1.5L and go for New City
Manish - I just checked the Prices Ex Showroom in Delhi / Gurgaon / Agra - they are 6.5 Lacs for the base variant petro 1.6.

Now with disocunts and corporate benefits and maybe Hyundai loyalty bonus - one can get it for around 6.5 lacs on road as it's a slow mover. Now that is one sweet deal in my opinion and that is why corporate companies as mentioned on this thread are opting for the verna Petrol for it's employees.

The City is of course a far better car BUT then the additional 2.5 lacs ( 8.5 lacs is what it costs here )
Old 7th March 2010, 09:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

The petrol Vernas are not that rare. The only real USP that the car has is Hyundai's reputation for good A.S.S. So someone who is upgrading from a Santro and Getz and wants to stick to the Hyundai family, the petrol Verna is not that a bad choice if running is low. It is a fairly comfy car as well. It is a bit of a lackluster car as far as dynamics are concerned. One wonders how Hyundai managed to hide the 100 horses so well.
Old 24th May 2010, 21:54   #19
mkh
Senior - BHPian

very interesting thread, wonder how i did not come across this for a while. I had taken a petrol verna and let me tell you a few things
1. Interiors looks very classy indeed- the fit and finish are very good and better than most in the same segment
2. The power and pick up are great( check smart cats stats on his thread)
3. Maintenance costs are low and very good treatment from Hyundai A**
4. Interior space is excellent and rear seat comfort- great
5. Since i have an XXI, i find the front seat drive position very comfortable
6. Drive is not that great- agreed, but about 6-7 times on 10, i did not have that affect my experience. WIth 2-3 people seated, the drive quality improves a lot
I took it for 3 outstation trips, compared to a fiesta the drive thrill is way down, but its not that bad that many people project it to be.
If someone is looking for a decent ride(not someone who takes cars to the limit but a sedate driver), family car that can seat 4-5, low running costs, and from the inside gives a feel of a BIG car, this is a good choice. Added to that a very good ground clearance
Its not that popular on TBHP, but the fact is- a lot of people outside consider this the best choice( going by the responses i got for my resale, and the price i got compared to another friend who sold his fiesta SXI)
mkh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2010, 22:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Answer is pretty straight forward.

One of my close relatives bought a Verna petrol, I was helping him out in his decision making, tempting him with cars like Jazz, i20, Figo, Fiesta, Vista and Manza.

But his reply for pretty straight forward. (either SX4 or Verna)
Let me explain about his approach why he chose that.
He was owing WagonR, thus he was looking for a reliable manufacturer (in his dictionary either Maruti or Hyundai)
Second motive behind getting the big car was status symbol thats why even Swift Diesel and i20 was a sure no no..
Thirdly, he only commutes 15km per day and thought Diesel dint make any sense for him.

So answer was either SX4 or Verna.
So dint spend much time deciding and took Verna..

Its like mentality of my dad, if he has 15k to buy a cell phone, only thing he does is walk into Nokia showroom and ask for a model costing around 15K thats all.
Frankly these guys dont have confusion like we petrol heads do, life is pretty simple for them
Old 24th May 2010, 22:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
very interesting thread, wonder how i did not come across this for a while. I had taken a petrol verna and let me tell you a few things
1. Interiors looks very classy indeed- the fit and finish are very good and better than most in the same segment
2. The power and pick up are great( check smart cats stats on his thread)
3. Maintenance costs are low and very good treatment from Hyundai A**
4. Interior space is excellent and rear seat comfort- great
5. Since i have an XXI, i find the front seat drive position very comfortable
6. Drive is not that great- agreed, but about 6-7 times on 10, i did not have that affect my experience. WIth 2-3 people seated, the drive quality improves a lot
I took it for 3 outstation trips, compared to a fiesta the drive thrill is way down, but its not that bad that many people project it to be.
If someone is looking for a decent ride(not someone who takes cars to the limit but a sedate driver), family car that can seat 4-5, low running costs, and from the inside gives a feel of a BIG car, this is a good choice. Added to that a very good ground clearance
Its not that popular on TBHP, but the fact is- a lot of people outside consider this the best choice( going by the responses i got for my resale, and the price i got compared to another friend who sold his fiesta SXI)
Have you realized that most of the points you've stated hold true for the Diesel Verna as well? What you've given are effectively reasons for owning a Verna, not a Petrol Verna per se.
Old 24th May 2010, 22:32   #22
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Have you realized that most of the points you've stated hold true for the Diesel Verna as well? What you've given are effectively reasons for owning a Verna, not a Petrol Verna per se.
your post says something very interesting- when ALL the drawbacks that people see in a verna exist in the diesel and petrol as well, and if my running does not deserve a diesel buy, also if my budget is sub 8 lacs, why do i not buy a verna?
Petrol or diesel depends on how much is the car going to run, other factors are on the product as such
Old 24th May 2010, 22:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
and if my running does not deserve a diesel buy, also if my budget is sub 8 lacs, why do i not buy a verna?
Aha, NOW you're quoting reasons to buy a petrol Verna.
Old 24th May 2010, 23:00   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
My uncle bought a P Verna in 2008 for 8L (despite me tellin him about the diesel). Tried selling it the very next year with 8,000kms on the odo. The best offer he got was for 6.2L. Hyundai offered 6L.

He's decided to keep it now, but wished he had bought the diesel.

Shan2nu
Same with one of my neighbours as well!

They finally kept it, and added another Magnum TCDi to their stable. I only once had a passenger seat ride in the verna, and i remember that it had distinctly high rolling and pitching than i had expected from a sedan!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th May 2010 at 23:05.
Old 24th May 2010, 23:04   #25
BHPian

Wow. The thread is really gaining momentum now.
Okay, so I agree with mkh and others and yes, even my dad doesn't like to get into the hassles of decision making. He makes up a budget and asks me to go about it or ask his colleagues. But, the reasons stated by mkh are very much true. Everybody has different priorities and ways of arriving towards a decision. Let the thread move on with further more replies. But, do maintain a neutrality in your speech.
Old 31st May 2010, 06:35   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Wow. The thread is really gaining momentum now.
Okay, so I agree with mkh and others and yes, even my dad doesn't like to get into the hassles of decision making. He makes up a budget and asks me to go about it or ask his colleagues. But, the reasons stated by mkh are very much true. Everybody has different priorities and ways of arriving towards a decision. Let the thread move on with further more replies. But, do maintain a neutrality in your speech.
You said you will ask your friend? did you?

I think noone could predict reason since your friend would bought the car with a thought of his requirements. I am sure this car would suit someone or the other's requirement.

P.S - He would be having the same question perhaps. "Why would somebody buy a Diesel Verna?"
Old 31st May 2010, 07:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

THere are tons and tons of extremely satisfied Santro and Accent customers who want to stick to Hyundai. Many dont want the diesel because they dont drive that much.

Verna P is a natural upgrade. For a regular person, there is nothing really wrong with the car..its comfort oriented suspension and even has a VVt engine.

Its like a smaller Corolla for 1/2 the price.

Last edited by Mpower : 31st May 2010 at 07:20.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2010, 10:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
THere are tons and tons of extremely satisfied Santro and Accent customers who want to stick to Hyundai. Many dont want the diesel because they dont drive that much.

Verna P is a natural upgrade. For a regular person, there is nothing really wrong with the car..its comfort oriented suspension and even has a VVt engine.

Its like a smaller Corolla for 1/2 the price.
Well said !! The above explains it all !

The only other car in this bracket is Fiesta which is better than the Verna.

The ANHC is a segment higher in terms of OTR price.
Old 6th June 2010, 01:13   #29
BHPian

While everybody here is talking about why would somebody buy a verna petrol i would like to know how good is it to buy a second hand verna petrol. Everybody knows its a slow mover and they dont sell too many of them so the resale should be pretty bad or lets just say it would be pretty good for a potential buyer
Old 6th June 2010, 20:59   #30
BHPian

yogii

Please go ahead and buy the verna petrol without any doubts whatsoever, if you are planning though, You wouldnt regret buying it. Its a great car.

Mkh,

I would second you. My close buddy owns one from past one year. i do get chances to drive his car quite often.The car is fine and not like what its mentioned out here. Guys looking for economy should not buy this car.

People who buy any stuff will have justification as to why they buy it. It may look wrong from the other guy's view, but it will be 100% right in the buyer's point of view. There is no need to get disturbed so much as to start a thread on somebody's decision to buy something they like. We rather learn to respect their buys.

I dont see anything peculiar as such.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 6th June 2010 at 21:05.
nandans2005 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks