Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2005, 01:45   #1

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
corolla or optra1.8

hey guys
have a budget of 10lacs and planning to choose between the new toyota corolla and the optra 1.8.....need help in deciding as both the cars are pretty good.the optra has good ride,handling favouring it while the corolla has the the name toyota attached to it.have weighed all the pros and cons but still not able to make up my mind.a third persons perspective wud be greatly appreciated...so what say?cant extend my budget anymore so the octavia is out of the question....else wud have gone for it blindfolded!!!i have also heard that toyota is offering a discount of around 1lac on the old corolla ...shud i go for the old one instead....as not too much difference between the old and the new.
Old 1st October 2005, 01:54   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn
i have also heard that toyota is offering a discount of around 1lac on the old corolla ...shud i go for the old one instead....as not too much difference between the old and the new.
Definatly go for the old corolla then... 1 Lakh discount is pretty huge... this is the best time to get the old corolla coz all the dealers wanna get rid of stock... bargain hard and since u like both cars equal just decide by who is giving u the best price.
Old 1st October 2005, 03:22   #3
BHPian

I thought you had "ENUFF BHP" and now you want more

I agree with Sahil.....the Old Corolla sounds more interesting with the discount on it. Especially since the new corolla looks the same as the old one and doesn't offer you anything more....you can spruce up the car with the 1 Lac you'll be saving.

Cheers!!!
Old 1st October 2005, 04:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

somehow I find the optra to be a better package in the lt form than the corolla. ITs got more goodies and comfort than the corolla and is good looking too.

agreed corolla old is good and similar to new but its still "old".
Old 1st October 2005, 11:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

a Corolla has ZERO handling ..it is the worst handler in its class ..all that power without control is of no use ..
optra is way more stylish and loaded than the corolla ..
FE - Corolla has the edge no dbout about that .. but then thats that ..
Old 1st October 2005, 11:25   #6
BANNED

Put some better tires in the new Corolla and it will outhandle anything in its' class except for a Civic, Corolla's engine is a 500,000+ mile gem and so is the tranny.
Old 1st October 2005, 11:25   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
a Corolla has ZERO handling ..it is the worst handler in its class ..all that power without control is of no use ..
ummm...the Corolla was the 2nd fastest car around the Circuit.

It's not the best ride in town at slow speeds, but that does translate into better high speed dynamics.

At a Rs.1 lakh discount, the corolla sounds the better deal. However, if they are the same price, I'd prefer the Optra.
Old 1st October 2005, 12:11   #8
Team-BHP Support

is the octavia that much more expensive than the corolla? i thought they were giving discounts on the octavia as well. besides i dont know if either the corolla or optra 1.8 will come under 10L on road. last i checked they were 11L+.
Old 1st October 2005, 12:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

hmmm ... i have seen corollas spin out of control coming out of corners ... which my corsa ,esteem and zen managed to come out of at relatively the same speed and the same line ...its way too tail happy .. i wonder how they manged the circuit time ..
i drove the corolla quite a bit on the highways here its is very skiddish while exiting on the kerbs aswell ..
Old 1st October 2005, 12:17   #10
Team-BHP Support

I drove the Corolla through India, and though it was an extremely dull car to drive, there were no faults as such. It may have 125hp, but it's not a drivers car.

Nice seats though.
Old 1st October 2005, 13:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

I would say Optra. But if you are getting that discount, you might go in for the Corolla and mod it a bit. Ride aside, that car is awesome given its engine. And you will be singing about its F.E. for quite some time too.
Old 1st October 2005, 13:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Corolla has a good engine and good FE. Barring from these two points, the Optra is the better overall package. Also the Optra is a much better looking car. Still IMO if you can strech a bit, I think you could go in for the Octavia Rider 1.9 TDi.

Dippy
Old 1st October 2005, 14:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Firstly its not only the Old Corolla that you will be getting at 1Lac discount! Call GM and they will also give you 70K discount on the Optra i am sure! Atleast on the LT! Corolla base version will be around 10L and Optra LT wont below 12.5L OTR including ABS and 15inchers!

Why dont you go for Optra 1.6 LT Royale! Is more Fuel efficient then the Corolla! Has more features then the Corolla and looks great in that new White colour!

What ever you decide do take a nice test drive back to back or if you can wait then Civic all the way or maybe the New NHC Vtec!

Cheers
Old 1st October 2005, 17:22   #14

cud u pl let me know wat wud b the f.e. of both the cars in city(delhi traffic) with a/c on 100%.cos summers last a freakin long time in delhi.and kindly let me know from the point that a 50yr old wud be driving it so cornering at 100+ speeds is out of the question.....the car hd offer a peace of mind .still it makes me wonder y corollas sell more than optras even though optra is a better vfm....am i missing something....cos indians practically survive on "VFM".y oh y?
Old 1st October 2005, 17:26   #15

wats the price for the base model of optra1.6 & 1.8 and coolla h1....exshowroom and how much discount wud the dealers offer .any idea?

Most Viewed