Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2010, 09:58   #16
BHPian

Thanks so far guys - Truly Appreciate

Just to summarize what has been said so far:

1. Strong Support for every parameter except power: Fiesta TDCi
2. VFM Choice: Indigo Manza, Swift Dzire
3. Used Car choice: Hyundai Tucson, Hyundai Sonata, Chevrolet Cruze, Skoda Octavia, Hyundai Elantra
3. The "If not Fiesta Choice" : Linea, Verna (some BHPians suggesting Verna Automatic)
4. Dark Horse: Logan

Dont Go:

1 Skoda Laura (Thanks to maintenance costs after warranty period)

Last edited by acidkill : 3rd April 2010 at 10:00.
Old 3rd April 2010, 10:01   #17
Team-BHP Support

You did not answer the other question by GTO? Why is boot a must?
Are you not open to diesel hatches? You have plenty of options there too.
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You did not answer the other question by GTO? Why is boot a must?
Are you not open to diesel hatches? You have plenty of options there too.
DID TOO! See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
3. Why is a boot a "must-have"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
3. Well apart from the commercial parameters discussed in a recent thread, a diesel car to me, is a logical choice only if its utility is maximized with a boot. Its also useful for frequent trips to my holiday home in Kodai

The new figo has a lot of merit and so does the i20. Overall yours is a fair observation about the new gen hatches, but im fairly serious about getting a boot. It makes a lot of sense for me because of frequent airport pickup/drops and also because of my getaway trips to kodai and bangalore
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:45   #19
BHPian

Well if not fiesta, it has to be Linea or Dzire. In that order.

Punto/Linea can soak up bad roads and pot holes like a volvo bus.. you dont feel a thing.

I doubt if Verna diesel automatic fits in your budget..
Old 3rd April 2010, 17:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks so far guys - Truly Appreciate

Just to summarize what has been said so far:

1. Strong Support for every parameter except power: Fiesta TDCi
Even with 68 BHP Fiesta pulls very well till 120 - 130 kmph and with rightly weighted steering it is fun to drive (literally it gives feeling like you are driving bike, especially while cornering), I have driven 12K kms in last 6 months, ride is good, once it reaches speed 60+ kmph it glides on all types of potholes and uneven road very smoothly.
My next choice is Linea, eventhough I like Linea I kept myself away from Linea only due to A**
PS : If you are driving car yourself, get the car which is driver oriented and fun to drive, which will ease your driving and not carry stress while you are working.
Old 3rd April 2010, 19:25   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
75% Highway , 25% city. Imagine driving in the suburbs of any city - from 1 construction site to another. Post that runabout, i have to drive back in to the city to handle admin, meet suppliers, and all the other jazz. But there is no bumper to bumper traffic 'a la' Mumbai in Chennai. Having just moved base to my hometown after 5 very glorious years in Mumbai, i can vouch for that one.
Quote:
2. 2-3 hours types. I usually can avoid peak hour traffic in the evenings
The Linea is best suited to your usage. Safe, sturdy, excellent suspension & ride quality, fuel efficient diesel, super dynamics, delicious steering at high speed.

Alternative option:

3 hours is an awful lot of time to spend on the road. You could get a Manza, then get a chauffeur, enjoy the backseat and get some work done on the move.

Other options:

- New Scorpio. But the Linea is way superior dynamically, and will be substantially more fun to drive.

- Used Sonata Embera, Innova or Tucson (in that order).
Old 3rd April 2010, 20:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

A well laid out set of requirements mentioned here unlike some other threads where it's not clear what the would be owner is really looking at

So 100 km's a day - which means the ride should be comfortable and also the driving seat - most important as 2-3 hours can tire you.

At 7.5 lacs I am not recommending you the verna - else a perfect car with one of the most comfy seats - I am 6 ft ( 100 kilos ) and drive for more than 2 hours everyday in mad bumper traffic and have never felt uncomfortable ! But sadly the Verna is around 8.5 lacs so a lac dearer. Also the FE would be about 12 - 13 kpl as it has a powerful engine and you would love to take it to 100 kph + speeds which really does not help the FE !

My recommendation at that price would be Dezire or Fiesta (does it come at that price? )

Also since you said 75% highway make sure or try if you could buy one with ABS and airbags. And that sadly raises the prices.

At second hand options - the cruze is too new to find itself in the second hand market.

However I could say give an Innova or Octavia a try as they would fit around 6 Lacs for a 3 year old model.
Old 3rd April 2010, 20:53   #23
BHPian

Thanks all - So i guess im gonna get down to procuring a car in the following in order of priority

1. Used Hyundai Sonata or Toyota Innova
2. Barely used Fiat Linea or Hyundai Verna (Like 3000 Km or under)
3. Tata Manza
4. Volkswagen Sedan (if its any good and releases in the next 30-45 days)
Old 4th April 2010, 21:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
4. Volkswagen Sedan (if its any good and releases in the next 30-45 days)
I dont think that is going to happen.
Old 4th April 2010, 21:45   #25
BHPian

Perhaphs a SUV, Image + everthing that you want?
Old 4th April 2010, 22:09   #26
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Since you mentioned high cost of ownership and poor resale of the Ford, you may need to go through many threads of people owning the linea in your city and be wary of that aspect in case you decide for the Linea. Try and ask them for a TD at your location, if they turn up promptly, they maybe better than bangalore guys at least.
The resale of the Linea will also be less i guess- no actual numbers are available but going by the general poor resale Fiat has, even lesser than Ford.
Old 8th April 2010, 21:26   #27

Hi MKH,

I am planning to buy petrol sedan. I have shortlisted SX4 & Verna. Since you are using VERNA petrol, Do you suggest me to go for it ? Please advice.
Old 10th April 2010, 20:01   #28
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altogether View Post
Hi MKH,

I am planning to buy petrol sedan. I have shortlisted SX4 & Verna. Since you are using VERNA petrol, Do you suggest me to go for it ? Please advice.
is this the right thread for me to reply on? I have posted my reply on the thread- which car to buy, Linea,SX4 or Verna where you have posted, as its more appropriate there.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post1831623

Last edited by mkh : 10th April 2010 at 20:06.
Old 11th April 2010, 19:50   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

3 hours is an awful lot of time to spend on the road. You could get a Manza, then get a chauffeur, enjoy the backseat and get some work done on the move.
Couldn't agree more. Manza is real nice. Had done a TD recently. Has one of the best rear seat in the class.

The only issue - TASS!!

But, if you have a good TASS around, then should'nt be a problem. I too struggled initially for a year until i found one. Ever since I am happy with the servicing.
Old 12th April 2010, 19:02   #30
BHPian

Why dont you look at a used Optra Magnum diesel. You can get a well maintained car in your budget and its a very nice car. The comfort is amazing at the front and the rear. The engine is a rocket (but for the turbolag) and FE is also decent. I find the maintenance to be much lower than its competitors.

PS: You could also push your limit a bit and go for a new magnum

Last edited by benzinblut : 12th April 2010 at 19:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks