Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2013, 12:57   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun1010 View Post
Need a good Diesel Car, with very good FE, good drive in City. decent maintenance cost. 80%-20% : City-Highway drive. 6 People (4 adults + 2 kids) to be considered. All rounder in a way...I would say. Budget 7 lacs
Though it could be here, I would suggest look no further beyond the Vista D90 (either the VX or ZX+ variant). My B-I-L was in a similar situation as you. He has 6 People (4 adults + 2 kids) in his family & his budget was 7 lacs max (full payment upfront). He was hell bent on the Swift, however the swift is too curvaceous from the outside, due to which its rear seat is a bit claustrophobic & difficult to accommodate 2 adults & 2 kids. Moreover the VDi, costing 7 lacs onroad, didn't have ABS, rear wiper, steering mounted audio controls, bluetooth connectivity, power mirrors. The Vista D90 offered not just all of the above, but in addition gave 15ps extra power & 10Nm extra torque, not to mention the sofa like rear seat.

The 3 year free insurance, cash discount of Rs 3200 (for gold coin), corporate discount of Rs 6000, free AMC for 2 years (worth 6.5K) & last but not the least an on-road price of 6.56 lacs (outside LBT limits) were like icing on the cake. All this sealed the deal in favour of the Vista D90 VX.

Deal was further sweetened by free mud flaps, free floor mats, free seat covers, free car body cover & free Lord Ganesha idol
Old 1st November 2013, 13:01   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Though it could be here, I would suggest look no further beyond the Vista D90 (either the VX or ZX+ variant). My B-I-L was in a similar situation as you. He has 6 People (4 adults + 2 kids) in his family & his budget was 7 lacs max (full payment upfront). He was hell bent on the Swift, however the swift is too curvaceous from the outside, due to which its rear seat is a bit claustrophobic & difficult to accommodate 2 adults & 2 kids. Moreover the VDi, costing 7 lacs onroad, didn't have ABS, rear wiper, steering mounted audio controls, bluetooth connectivity, power mirrors. The Vista D90 offered not just all of the above, but in addition gave 15ps extra power & 10Nm extra torque, not to mention the sofa like rear seat.

The 3 year free insurance, cash discount of Rs 3200 (for gold coin), corporate discount of Rs 6000, free AMC for 2 years (worth 6.5K) & last but not the least an on-road price of 6.56 lacs (outside LBT limits) were like icing on the cake. All this sealed the deal in favour of the Vista D90 VX.

Deal was further sweetened by free mud flaps, free floor mats, free seat covers, free car body cover & free Lord Ganesha idol
Thanks for your response, but sorry brother NO TATA. Please suggest me something else. Or one between Grand i10 and Amaze.???
Arjun1010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 13:41   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your response, but sorry brother NO TATA. Please suggest me something else. Or one between Grand i10 and Amaze.???
I don't know the reasons behind your apprehensions about TATA. I suggested it given your budget constraints & space requirements.

Nevertheless if the choice if only between Grand i10 and Amaze with a budget of 7 lacs, then you better go with the Grand i10. The diesel i10 Grand Sportz or at the max the Asta could fit into your budget. The Amaze base diesel (E-MT) starts well beyond 7 lacs (on-road). If it is an Amaze then you should go for at least the S-MT, which could stretch your budget beyond 8 lacs. Choice is yours as it is your money. All the best . Make up your mind only after test driving extensively both the cars along with your family.
Old 2nd November 2013, 11:46   #64
Senior - BHPian

@Arjun1010

Considering value for money and practicality while not stretching much, I would suggest the Amaze E MT diesel. There is barely anything on the S variant that cannot be done after-market at a far lower cost.

eg:
Body colored door handles and mirrors ~ 5k
Music system with steering remote better than stock ~ 15k
Silver and chrome in the interiors ~ 3k

Guess you can live without center armrest for rear passengers and driver seat height adjust. You could even upgrade to better tyres and alloys for around 25k.

Only thing you will probably miss and cannot be retrofitted for a nominal cost could be electric power mirrors.
Old 2nd November 2013, 12:51   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like Grand i10 Top end and Amaze mid variants are priced almost same. Is that true. If that is the case, why will one go for a 1100 cc - 3 cylinder - 70 bhp engine...if you are getting a 1500 cc -- 4 cylinder -100 bhp powerful engine in same range...and importantly HONDA badge.

Any comments friends...!!!!
Quote:
Need a good Diesel Car, with very good FE, good drive in City. decent maintenance cost. 80%-20% : City-Highway drive. 6 People (4 adults + 2 kids) to be considered. All rounder in a way...I would say. Budget 7 lacs
Quote:
How do you see these two in terms of Interiors, Refinement, Equipment and Safety. I met with an accident few months back, my Swift VDI braking and ABS couldn't help me. It was a major accident, vehicle total scrap. So thinking many times before making a decision. Budget is also a constrain, cant 6-7 is what i am thinking of.
Considering the fact that you had an accident with the Swift VDI-ABS (good that you have recovered well & are moving on after the accident), don't you think having a car with Airbags will be more safer as compared to a ABS only version.

Moreover, Honda diesels are, in current iteration, bit unrefined as compared to Hyundai ones.

I would suggest better safe than being sorry &/or better be Mr.Late than being Late Mr.

But, its your car & your final call, & I believe in your place Amaze SMT would be around 50k costlier than Grand i10 Asta (O). Since both these companies are equally good &/or bad at service (generally) try which one offer better service in your place.

I understand your dilema - head vrs heart.

Best of Luck again .
Old 5th November 2013, 14:51   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Hope you dont mind if I nudge in. Keep in mind though that Grand i10 and Amaze are 2 different cars for very different needs. Typically I would compare i20 with Amaze (dimension wise), in which personally, i20 wins with respect to build quality, features and modernity. Amaze has a peppier petrol unit but it lacks in overall build finesse, its diesel unit is clatterpot. Final answer - if you want bootspace, Amaze. Every other respect, better value, great service at lower cost, features (rear a.c, keyless go, steering control) better refinement and build quality - G-i10 Asta. My choice is Hyundai, consider i20 Sportz too if you can accept absence of passenger airbag. Important Note : Amaze is Indian and not a globally safety-tested car and the Euro-NCAP rating isnt available for it whereas a full spec new i10 will score most likely a 5/5 as the older i10 had 4/5.

Last edited by GTO : 7th November 2013 at 19:08. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 5th November 2013, 15:01   #67
Senior - BHPian

Amaze SMT like you have shortlisted has only ABS as compared to Grand i10 Asta (O), which has Driver & Passenger Airbags in addition to ABS. Moreover, the former costs Rs.50k extra over the latter. For Airbags, you may end up paying up another Rs.1.5 lac over the Asta (O).

Further, you have mentioned that you had an accident few months back, I would presume safety to be of paramount importance in your mind, & hence, go for Asta (O) or stretch your budget for the Amaze VXMT.

Last edited by GTO : 7th November 2013 at 19:08. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 5th November 2013, 15:04   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Amaze SMT like you have shortlisted has only ABS as compared to Grand i10 Asta (O), which has Driver & Passenger Airbags in addition to ABS. Moreover, the former costs Rs.50k extra over the latter. For Airbags, you may end up paying up another Rs.1.5 lac over the Asta (O).

Further, you have mentioned that you had an accident few months back, I would presume safety to be of paramount importance in your mind, & hence, go for Asta (O) or stretch your budget for the Amaze VXMT.
Thanks.... so you suggest Airbags are must.
Old 5th November 2013, 15:06   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.... so you suggest Airbags are must.
Yes , recently there have been more than few cases when the occupants have come out of nasty accidents unscathed because their cars had airbags & they were wearing seatbelts.
Old 5th November 2013, 15:10   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Hope you dont mind if I nudge in. Keep in mind though that Grand i10 and Amaze are 2 different cars for very different needs. Typically I would compare i20 with Amaze (dimension wise), in which personally, i20 wins with respect to build quality, features and modernity. Amaze has a peppier petrol unit but it lacks in overall build finesse, its diesel unit is clatterpot. Final answer - if you want bootspace, Amaze. Every other respect, better value, great service at lower cost, features (rear a.c, keyless go, steering control) better refinement and build quality - G-i10 Asta. My choice is Hyundai, consider i20 Sportz too if you can accept absence of passenger airbag. Important Note : Amaze is Indian and not a globally safety-tested car and the Euro-NCAP rating isnt available for it whereas a full spec new i10 will score most likely a 5/5 as the older i10 had 4/5.
Thanks Dark Knight brother..... you covered some valid points. most of my queries getting clarified here. I was thinking of Grand i10 sportz, because its under 7 lacs. Asta O is 7.6 lacs. I think i need to strech that bit. heard some not a good things about Hyundai's breaking....hows that in Grand i10.
Old 5th November 2013, 17:27   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Dark Knight brother..... you covered some valid points. most of my queries getting clarified here. I was thinking of Grand i10 sportz, because its under 7 lacs. Asta O is 7.6 lacs. I think i need to strech that bit. heard some not a good things about Hyundai's breaking....hows that in Grand i10.
Arjun

You are being paranoid for nothing. Hyundai braking are as usual very good, & the same goes on this car as well. I believe you are referring to mod - @ajmat's post, where he has commented so. But, later I had raised the concern, where he admitted that his comment were so because he had just stepped out of his Passat/ Jetta, & the brakes were otherwise good.
Old 5th November 2013, 18:58   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Arjun

You are being paranoid for nothing. Hyundai braking are as usual very good, & the same goes on this car as well. I believe you are referring to mod - @ajmat's post, where he has commented so. But, later I had raised the concern, where he admitted that his comment were so because he had just stepped out of his Passat/ Jetta, & the brakes were otherwise good.
Thanks Cardeep for the clarification. This should make my decision very easy now. at 6.9 lacs i thought Grand i10 Sportz version was VFM, but keeping safety in mind need to strech to 7.6 lacs. Once you cross the 7.5 lacs mark there are many options coming into the game, so was getting little confused. but these discussions and clarifications should clear all that. Thanks to all of you for our inputs.
Arjun1010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 13:30   #73
Senior - BHPian

Re: What diesel car ? 7.5 Lakh Budget

Dear Acidkill

With over 100 kms of running everyday, it will be better to go in for a new car as the maintenace cost will be way lower.

At 7-8 lacs, you may get a high mileage C/D segment car with atleast 3 years of usage.

My 0.2$:

1) Maruti Swift Dzire VDI
2) Ford Classic(Old Fiesta)
3) Toyota Etios GD

Tata /Verito may have niggling problems considering your terrain and though they are competent vehicles, your experienc may be marred by sub par dealer experience.
Old 15th November 2013, 11:24   #74

Re: What diesel car ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Hi all,

With these requirements I kind of shortlisted following cars in the order of preference/liking

1. New Verna 1.6 SX(O) Diesel
2. Vento Diesel Topline(Is it Topline?)
3. SX4 Diesel
Having TD'd all three I would go for Vento, Verna, SX4 in that order
Old 22nd February 2014, 23:05   #75
BHPian

Best new/ used diesel upto 7L (high ground clearance)

Hi,

I'm in a bit of a muddle. Want to get a diesel car (40-45km a day usage).

Budget of about 7L.

Requirements are:
  1. Daily commute in congested city. So constant gear changes should not shatter my knee!!
  2. High ground clearance for weekend getaways into the hills.
  3. Possible long distance expeditions of over 3,000 km. So reliability/ parts availability/ pan-India service support would be useful.
  4. Used is preferable to a new car/SUV option.

Thanks!!
Shireesh

Most Viewed