Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 10:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

I have a small issue with my car. The car rolls at 25Kmph on 5th and occassionally goes to 20. The revs hover around 600-700 and the engine obviously jerks due to that. The car definitely is not tuned well and I need to know what needs to be set.

I am definitely looking into the spark plugs but what else can be the culprit?
Old 31st August 2010, 10:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I have a small issue with my car. The car rolls at 25Kmph on 5th and occassionally goes to 20. The revs hover around 600-700 and the engine obviously jerks due to that. The car definitely is not tuned well and I need to know what needs to be set.

Did you mean you're driving in 5th gear @ 25kmph ? This is not a recommended speed range for the 5th gear. In my car, I can pull from 20kmph in 3rd gear if I do it slowly, but 20/25kmph in 5th ? Maybe you can describe more the scenario ?
Old 31st August 2010, 12:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post

the 5th gear is overdrive , which means the drive ratio output/input is less than one. You are lugging the car way too much .
The idling is obviously not putting enough power to he wheel to keep them rolling at 20 or for that matter 25 kmph.

I think anything above 40 is a safe speed.
Old 31st August 2010, 15:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

what I meant is every car rolls in each gear without using the gas pedal. My car used to roll smoothly before the service. Now it jerks and the speed drops to a lowly 25 or 20 sometimes. What is amiss?
Old 31st August 2010, 16:00   #20
BHPian

Hi devarshi,

I'm sure the service centre just adjusted your idling to company specs. The idling should be just enough to ensure that the car does not stall when in neutral and avoid any vibrations. Its there so that the engine runs when the car is idle without user input, Hence the term, idling.

If the idling is set to too high, your car will be able to pull in gear, but at the cost of lower fuel economy.

Put the car into neutral and see if it stalls when you do not gas it. If it does, you need to reset your idling. If it idles smoothly without any vibration, everything is normal.
Old 31st August 2010, 16:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

isnt idling setting different than in-gear settings?
Old 31st August 2010, 17:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Guys no offenses but why dont we start a new thread than hijacking one?

Pramod
Old 31st August 2010, 20:46   #23
BHPian

Congrats Chewbacca on the great purchase! The underbody looks 'OK', but if you are up for a money spending spree I know a couple of guys in Pune who would do an excellent job. I got my new car 3MMM'd (3M) from one these guys last year and have already done a free service. The total underbody and paint protection costs around 10K depending on the treatment you choose for your machine. Feel free to PM me if you need further assistance

Enjoy the ride...!
Old 31st August 2010, 21:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Guys no offenses but why dont we start a new thread than hijacking one?

Pramod
Totally understand your concern. Just had a small issue at hand and thought it would take a few posts to solve. Hence saved the time to open a new thread. Back to Chewbacca
Old 1st September 2010, 02:32   #25
BHPian

Been very busy with other things and haven't touched the car since last sunday, also its raining incessantly. The polishing / detailing job is half done and the polish guy has asked me to come only on a sunny day.

@Pramod
I won't be doing any mods but will be changing the tyres soon to reduce the NVH. No Amps and woofers either, I suffer from Hyperacusis - a medical term to describe people with damaged hearing - in my case low frequencies are louder than normal, as if the volume control knob of the ear/brain is always set to high. Music at moderate volume is no problem since it is predictive but sudden noises like honking and squeaking brakes makes me flinch with pain. I was not happy with the Alto / Wagon-R, their engines are quite refined but the outdoor noise seeps inside even with the windows rolled up, more so on cemented roads. I am lucky the 9 year old Lancer turned out to be much quieter than the 4 year old Maruti's.

The minor issues and sounds inside the car is ok but most of my spends would be on insulating the cabin from the noises outside. I won't mind changing the rubber beadings on all 4 doors if it helps, any suggestions? someone told me the Chevy Optra is the best-in-class for it's well insulated cabin.

@vid6639
SLXi never came with a spoiler, it was put by the previous owner. The gap below the spoiler seems lesser than usual.

@Leadf00t
Does the Lancer have a engine bay light? I guess the fellow who washed the car stuffed the rag in the Alarm speaker (or maybe the reverse alarm) to prevent water damage. I had specifically told him to cover the ECU before washing and he thought 'that' was the ECU. Neither did I know any better so I let it be.

@Devarshi84
"Michelin Xm1+ or Yokohama A's for killing Road noise" - just the piece of info I was looking for. Thank you.

@Lancer_rit
The stock tyres are Bridgestone.
Michellin Primacy LC? hmmm, more choices, great!

@razor4077
I found one spot underneath, a foot long and 3 inch wide scrape exposing the metal. Wonder if those guys do patch work? Looks like 3M has a whole array of car care products. They even have a compound to remove fine scratches from the windshield. I got the wiper marks and a deep scratch off my Lancer's windshield, the local polish guy charged me 1800/- but was worth it, more here ...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2047771-post28.html

-----------------------
Warm regards
Chewbacca
Old 1st September 2010, 13:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Michelin Xm1+ is the queitest tyre I know of. I amusing them on my Jazz and Lancer. Also google for discussion forums worldwide on this tyre. Also this tyre is high on ride comfort.

Your spoiler is definitely aftermarket like i mentioned before and I would suggest you check the installation bolts for rust. Looks good though. Check the same for a cap under the same tyre which is prone to rusting.
Old 1st September 2010, 14:08   #27
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad luck on the bonnet.

You need to get the Tyres replaced ASAP/ 9 years is too long for them to be used.

The ride will improve futher if you choose the right tyres.
Old 1st September 2010, 16:13   #28
BHPian

@ chewbacca,

I have seen this kind of a ghost like behavior in MPFI Cars only, the reason being the ECU keeps a steady stream of petrol and Air mixture feeding into the Cylinders though the throttle body. Even with the throttle at zero.

If you observe carefully, there will be a gap in the butterfly throttle to facilitate this.

In my Baleno I had seen this problem being compounded with worn out clutch plates, when the Clutch setting has been drawn in too much to avoid play.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
Old 4th September 2010, 02:15   #29
BHPian

@devarshi84
I tried to simulate the problem you mentioned earlier. In 5th, I let the speed drop to 25 - no problem but anything below that caused vibrations but no rolling.

Got a date with A.S.S tomorrow to fix few things...
>> The flimsy plastic apron above both tyres are torn / missing.

>> Replace rusted bolts below spoiler - they are eating into the paint from the inside of the boot.

>> Align the bonnet to allow the switch below to activate and turn-off the "door open" warning light. The autocop (or whatever) was driving me nuts so I have unplugged the switch cable for now.

>> Dump the reverse alarm, it's too loud.
>> Get a printout of the car's service history from day1.

I have already replaced the wiper blades to Bosch, got a pair for 350/-
Later I have date with the accessories shop to fix new seat covers that I had ordered earlier.

Next week I am hitting the highways with family for a 500 kms ride. The stock Bridgestone S248: 175/80/R13 can be replaced with these...
  1. Same make i.e. Bridgestone S248 @ 3700/- each (tyre with tube)
  2. Tubeless 185/70/R13 Bridgestone Turanza ER60 @ 3500/-
  3. Tubeless 185/70/R13 Goodyear GT3 @ 3000/-
  4. Tubeless 185/70/R13 Michelin XM1+ @ 3850/-
  5. Tubeless 185/70/R13 Yokohama AA01 @3500/-
Primacy LC is available in R14 and 15 only and I cannot upgrade the alloys right now.

Ok, now comes the dilemma...
The 185/70/R13 would be 1 cm wider than the stock, so effectively 4 cms of additional rubber touches the road, thus more friction/noise. Would it not negate the benefits of low-noise XM1+? Also by upgrading to 185/70/R13 I stand to lose approx. 1.5 cms of ground clearance.

Sorry for being so analytical but I would like to hear what the experts say.

--------------------------
warm regards
Chewbacca
Old 4th September 2010, 12:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Did you drive your lancer in 5th gear without touching the gas pedal or clutch? The car should just roll without jerking or stalling. Can you let me know the speed?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks