Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2010, 03:04   #1
BHPian

Lancer SLXi - Newbie Goes Bananas again

Finally I found a perfect Lancer and purchased it immediately.
It's a 2001 SLXi original colour, single owner, 58K on the odo, everything stock except the rear spoiler, all tyres are excellent - Bridgestone on 3-spoke alloys, I am surprised that the tyres are so good even after 58K kms, it has the Feb 2001 date on it!!

The car was always serviced at the A.S.S, superbly maintained and without a single dent.

I was lucky to find this doctor owned vehicle that was always parked in a proper garage - probably that's why the age does not show. I drove it back home (first time driven a Lancer) and was amazed at the super-silent yet eager to rev engine. I am used to driving an Alto and Wagon-R and their engines always sound busy to me even at moderate speeds.

On my way back home after taking possession of the car, I felt like the engine stalled at the red light so I tried 3-4 times restarting the car. It just made some noise but won't start ....then I realized the engine was already running and I was simply cranking the engine that had never stalled!!

Did I cause damage to the engine?

Later at the A.S.S. the guys pulled out the computerised service history of this car and they say nothing needs to be done at all - it's been serviced recently and is good for another 9000 kms. Even the insurance is comprehensive till March 2011.

I would like to enhance the life of this car and I really need advise on ...
  1. Should I get the belly coated with rubber paint / anti-rust / teflon? any idea of the cost and who does a good job in Pune?
  2. How about adding some oil / additive that will protect the engine?
  3. If I replace the stock Kenwood cassette player with a new one, will it work with the auto-antenna mechanism?
  4. Does anyone have the owner's manual in PDF format? .... that's the only thing I did not get.
---------------------------
warm regards
Chewbacca
Old 26th August 2010, 08:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

When you say serviced recently, what work was done on the car. Ideally you should be looking at replacing all the fluids engine oil, brake fluid, gear oil, power steering fluid and coolant.

You can do a complete engine flush and replace the old oil with Synthetic oil like Mobil1.

Mechanically, get the suspension retorqued, throttle body and IAC valve stepper motor cleaned. Air filter should be replaced. You can go for a stock K&N filter which improves performance and mileage.

Last but not the least, get a full exterior/interior detailing done and the car will look like new out of the showroom.
Old 26th August 2010, 09:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey congrats on your pre-worshipped Lancer. 58k is a pretty low mileage for a 2001 model, and the 4G15 engine should be good for many more miles before any major work on the engine ...

For the underbelly, have it hoisted up on a ramp, and make an inspection. if there are parts where it grazed speed-breakers etc, then it may make sense to have a anti-rust coating done again - else the car comes with such a coating from the factory...

Replacing the stock Kenwood player should be no problem

If you have the service records, check if Bardahl was added by A.S.S. while doing engine oil change - if so, doing a mild flush and changing to Synthetic is recommended. If not, you may skip the engine flush part - in case you want the oil change etc at A.S.S., Mitsubishi now recommends Motul Xcess 5W40 synthetic oil! I recently changed to Motul synthetic, and the engine revvs smoother, and my FE seems higher by 1-2kmpl
Old 26th August 2010, 09:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Change the tyres. even though they have treads, the tyres harden over time. Usual life of tyres is 4-5 years at max.

Since the car has been serviced recently and is running well, you dont need to worry.

The car's oil has been changed with mineral oil and hence doesnt need looking at for the next 9K. But you can add Nulon engine teflon treatment. Change to synthentic oil using a flush at the next service.

I have a Pioneer HU and the antenna still runs with it properly. Just make sure the technician you use is an experienced one.

PS: Whatever happens make sure that the car doesnt have the crappy bosch plugs in there.
Old 26th August 2010, 14:42   #5
BHPian

Congrats on your New Possesion ChewBacca.

What the guys have covered in the above posts is mostly what you have to check.

The lancer engine is pretty trouble free if the serviced regularly.
Since the Car is from Pune it will be relatively rust free compared to a similar run Mumbai Car.

58K in 8 years is a very low run car.
I woudl recommend you drive the car for a few months. Considering the owner has already done servicing, you need not worry immediately.

After running the car for while you will get to know intricacies and issues if any.

Enjoy the Lancer experience. Drive Safe.
Old 26th August 2010, 16:41   #6
BHPian

Congrats Chewbacca!

You've landed yourself a real gem! I don't have much to add to what the guys above have advised you to do.

As far as the service is concerned, I would suggest get it done again - ensuring that you stay with the car while its being serviced. Its common for service personnel to miss several aspects during servicing, but mark it as 'done' anyways.

Get all the fluids replaced, Check the electricals for any leakages, Check the brakes for wear, and also check the suspension. Get a wheel alignment done.

On a separate note, have the car interiors serviced thoroughly. Better yet, change all covers if possible. You never know whats been in the car.

To answer your questions:

1- As Lancer_rit said, get the underbody coating done if you feel the existing one has worn off.
2 - You can add an engine flush to the existing oil, idle it for 5 min before flushing the oil. Then a valve resealing additive can be mixed with new oil and replaced. If you wish to go the synthetic oil route, now is the best time.
3 - The Power Antenna will work, irrespective of the Head Unit. But inexperienced installers can mess anything up.
4 - Unfortunately I don't have access to a manual. But I'm sure your Service Centre may be able to arrange one.

Do post your progress and congrats again!

Tassem.
Old 27th August 2010, 18:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Looks like you got yourself a great (sparingly-used & well-maintained) pre-owned car. Post pictures ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca
I am surprised that the tyres are so good even after 58K kms, it has the Feb 2001 date on it!!
Not much to be surprised there - depends on usage & other factors. The Modi Continental tyres that came OE on our M800 in '85 were changed only in '99 after some 40K kms. I know @nitrous will go bonkers if he reads this, given that he believes in changing tyres not just on kms run, but number of years used - since tyres tend to become hard over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca
I was lucky to find this doctor owned vehicle that was always parked in a proper garage - probably that's why the age does not show.
Yes, a proper garage goes a long way in keeping the looks of the car in better shape. The guy who bought our '85 M800 (always parked in a proper garage) in 2004 would not believe that the car had the original factory paint on it. My Baleno on the other hand would show its age, given it is parked in the open.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 27th August 2010 at 19:01.
Old 30th August 2010, 02:45   #8
BHPian

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate your comments and advise. I could devote this entire weekend fussing over the car and it was not entirely a pleasant experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
When you say serviced recently, what work was done on the car. .....
I need to revisit the A.S.S. to get the complete details but I do know that the last service bill was approx. 25K. They replaced the clutch master cylinder, battery, broken wiper, did the wheel alignment and replaced all the oil types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
For the underbelly, have it hoisted up on a ramp, and make an inspection. if there are parts where it grazed speed-breakers etc, then it may make sense to have a anti-rust coating done again - else the car comes with such a coating from the factory...
You are absolutely right. See the picture below...
I don't know why they welded the exhaust pipe at 3 different places in the mid-section, any clue?

Lancer SLXi - Newbie Goes Bananas again-04_rubber_paint.jpg

Lancer SLXi - Newbie Goes Bananas again-03_silencer_welded.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Change the tyres. even though they have treads, the tyres harden over time. Usual life of tyres is 4-5 years at max.
For the first time today I drove the car on a highway and touched 110 kmph but since it was raining heavily I did not risk going faster. There is significant tyre noise at speeds above 60 kmph. I will get them replaced ASAP, for now I am broke after paying for this car in full cash. Any suggestions on the make of the tyre? I won't be ever exceeding 150 kmph and tyre noise should be minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
The lancer engine is pretty trouble free if the serviced regularly.
Since the Car is from Pune it will be relatively rust free compared to a similar run Mumbai Car.

After running the car for while you will get to know intricacies and issues if any.
Indeed and the previous owner has maintained it in top condition. Take a look at the engine.

Lancer SLXi - Newbie Goes Bananas again-02_engine.jpg

While driving on the highway the engine was super-smooth even at 100 kmph and with the A/C switched ON. The only major issue is with the windscreen glass that has a nasty semi-circular scratch on the passenger side + fine scratches on the driver side. The fine scratches are not visible during daytime but at night and especially when it's raining, the glare of the oncoming vehicle's light gets diffused and we see a light spreading out to the entire breadth of the wiper path. Luckily I could get this fixed without replacing the entire windscreen, more later, maybe I should post this in a new thread for the benefit of all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
To answer your questions:
1- As Lancer_rit said, get the underbody coating done if you feel the existing one has worn off. Tassem.
Thanks Tassem. I have taken lots of pictures of the belly when the car was being washed and luckily the factory coated rubber is still intact.

Unfortunately there was a minor mishap when the car was on the ramp and caused damage to the bonnet. Due to the carelessness of the ramp operator, when the car was being lowered, the rod that keeps the bonnet open got bent. The hook that latches in the hole beneath the bonnet slipped and went deeper inside and banged the bonnet from below.

Lancer SLXi - Newbie Goes Bananas again-03_bonnet_rest_rod.jpg

Now there's a ugly bump on the bonnet and the left side looks slightly raised when the bonnet is closed. Also the "door-open" warning light stays lit.
more later on how I got this fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Wow! Looks like you got yourself a great (sparingly-used & well-maintained) pre-owned car. Post pictures ASAP.
Because of heavy rain the polishing / detailing work had to wait. I have plenty of belly pictures, but this one should do for now.

Lancer SLXi - Newbie Goes Bananas again-01_rear.jpg

-----------------------
warm regards
Chewbacca
Old 30th August 2010, 10:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Thank you everyone. I really appreciate your comments and advise. I could devote this entire weekend fussing over the car and it was not entirely a pleasant experience.

-----------------------
warm regards
Chewbacca
The car looks well maintained, the tyres can easily go for another 20k kms, and look for an upgrade to 15", nothing needs attention as of now, always remember its a old lady, any amount of botox might make it look new, but always remember she is a still an old lady and problems might surface, by problems i do not mean show stoppers but the small niggling issues which take a lot of time and money, ignore minor sounds, first thing to do is get a new CD player and front compos, and dont forget the sub woofer and amp , this should take your mind off things, best of luck with your car, do not go for any mods as of now, and oh the exhaust design has a flaw, the pipe has a factory welding along the length of the pipe which usually develops a leak, just ignore it and enjoy the growl

Pramod

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th September 2010 at 16:02. Reason: Hi, please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers. Thanks.
Old 30th August 2010, 11:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Looks in good shape - nice buy! Have fun with your new baby. Vid has given you all the tips you'll need. A Lancer is a lovely car to own and drive. Light on the pocket and very involving to drive. Upgrade to better tyres and you'll enjoy driving her even more
Old 30th August 2010, 11:33   #11
Team-BHP Support

I don't like the welded exhaust, can you find out if there is any record of this with the service centre?

I can't seem to remember if the SLXi came with a spoiler.

If the model came with a spoiler then yours is not the OE one but an aftermarket one.
Old 30th August 2010, 12:18   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
The car looks well maintained, the tyres can easily go for another 20k kms, and look for an upgrade to 15", nothing needs attention as of now, always remember its a old lady, any amount of botox might make it look new, but always remember she is a still an old lady and problems might surface, by problems i do not mean show stoppers but the small niggling issues which take a lot of time and money, ignore minor sounds, first thing to do is get a new CD player and front compos, and dont forget the sub woofer and amp , this should take your mind off things, best of luck with your car, do not go for any mods as of now, and oh the exhaust design has a flaw, the pipe has a factory welding along the length of the pipe which usually develops a leak, just ignore it and enjoy the growl

Pramod
I agree with Pramod on teh exhaust design flaw. The seam welding on the exhaust pipe gives way on about 4 5 years time. Either move on to a FFE or gettign it welded is the best option.

@vid i agree that it looks bad but i doubt the A.S.S. would weld it hence the previous owner might have got it done outside. Nothing to worry about. I have had a couple of leaks which i got welded and hasnt given my any problems afterwards. Though the growl of a leaking exhaust is something to die for

@chewbacca - another observation from your engine bay pic is the ac gas discharge pipe (see the vertical pipe next to the left radiator bushing) has a brown filling mark . check if it is a patch up job for the leak. From the pic it appears to me like m-seal or something.

All in all the car looks to be very very well maintianted. The tyres though i would relpace considering the rubber must have become hard over these years and is causing the noise.

I upgraded my stock JK tyres that had run 64K and had become hard as a rock to BRidgestone Turanza ER60 185/70R13 on the 13" alloys on the recommendation of Vid6639. The tyres have a a pretty good sidewall to stand abuse of bad mumbai roads and has decent grip and low noise levels. I have driven about 50K on then and they ahve about 10 15K life left on them. If you arent lookign for outright performance and high grip tyres, i would recommend them for general city and highway use.

If you are indeed contemplating to upgrade tyres and have no cash now, I would recommend you carefully drive you car for a while and upgrade later to 14" or 15" alloys and then pick you new set of tyres.

another question, why is the rag stuffed in the engine bay light .
Old 30th August 2010, 20:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Michelin Xm1+ or Yokohama A's for killing Road noise. Bridgestone Potenza or Pirelli's for performance. Go 16 if you select performance and if the budget permits.

the spoiler is definitely aftermarket and you should check the fitments have not rusted.

I agree with others on replacing the exhaust.
Old 31st August 2010, 00:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post

You are absolutely right. See the picture below...
I don't know why they welded the exhaust pipe at 3 different places in the mid-section, any clue?
Great, so you can save several K without coating the anti-rust coat ;-)

Seems like some leak was welded - don't know if some impact caused the issue ? Like someone else posted, check the service records - in case done by A.S.S.

Quote:
There is significant tyre noise at speeds above 60 kmph.
After 9 years, what do you expect from the hardened tyres ? Also MRF was noisy to begin with in my car and became worse after about 4 years. Do you have Bridgestone or MRF ?
Quote:
I will get them replaced ASAP, for now I am broke after paying for this car in full cash. Any suggestions on the make of the tyre? I won't be ever exceeding 150 kmph and tyre noise should be minimal.
Go for comfort tyres and avoid 'sporty' tyres (which are noisy). For eg. in Michelin, go for Primacy LC or if you want something less expensive, Energy XM1+.
My Michelin MXV8 are much quieter than the MRFs ever were though I feel after about 2+years and 26k, noise levels did increase a bit - very happy with the tyres though somewhat expensive.
My recommendation for best tyre size : 195/60R15, and get some nice alloys!

Quote:
got bent. The hook that latches in the hole beneath the bonnet slipped and went deeper inside and banged the bonnet from below.
tough luck man. Workshops can easily spoil your car in one way or another. ASC in BLR scraped my door pad and dashboard else my interiors were pristine for 6+ years.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 31st August 2010 at 00:09.
Old 31st August 2010, 00:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
The car looks well maintained, the tyres can easily go for another 20k kms,
I wouldn't recommend that buddy! 9 year old tyres and you want him to carry on for another year or two ? Please remember the 'relatively' low-tech tyres are what keep us on terra-firma.
@Chewbacca, change tyres at the earliest please...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks