Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2010, 15:13   #31
BHPian

Wait Stop!!!!!

i will adivse DO NOT I repeat DO NOT change to 185/70/R13.
The reduction in ride height will mean big pain in GC while driving on speedbreakers.

I have the same size and have faced a lot of problem.

i understand that the size 185/70/R13 is commonly available but it isnt the right upsize.

are you going to put the new tyres on stock steel rims?

Have the prices increased so much.
my ER60 for2950 a couple of yrs ago.

If steel rims its for now. why not see if you can get 14" steel rims which can come way cheaper than alloys and yet give u an option of using the same tyres on alloys.

That way you will have more options for tyre upsize.
Old 5th September 2010, 10:58   #32
BHPian

All this happened yesterday ..... at the tyre shop I voiced my concern to the owner and he says not to worry, 185/70/R13 is just fine. Sensing that I was not convinced he started showing me 14" alloys on display. A guy sitting next to me advised not to upgrade the stock 13" alloys on my Lancer. He turned out to be a mechanic at the A.S.S who specializes in wheel alignment / balancing. This fellow has 14 years experience, initially worked on Amby and was later trained for other models by HM.

What was he doing at the tyre shop? He said the wheel alignment machine at the A.S.S. is good only for Lancers & Cedia. He had a customer's Pajero that needed wheel alignment and owner insisted on doing it on a Hunter machine that the tyre shop has. The so called "Hunter" machine is worth 12 lakhs and is supposed to be the best in town. Other tyre shops do the wheel alignment for free if the customer buys a set of 4 tyres but this one charges 250/-

Ok, I am impressed but why not upgrade the stock alloys?
He told me, the stock alloys on SLX / SFX are OE, made in Taiwan and conforms to Mitsu specs. They are subject to stringent X-Ray checks and stress test prior to assembly. The aftermarket alloys conforms to generic specs and for the classy looks they have to add heavy metals making it heavier. They score high on looks but often the weight distribution and the grain density in the spokes is not uniform. When doing the alignment the parameters for the "Caster, Camber and Toe" of the front/rear axle deviates wildly beyond the normal specified range. Many a times this cannot be corrected and are thus ignored. The wheel alignment report is sometimes manupulated to hide these deviations which then leads to uneven tread wear, wobbling and suspension issues.

As regards the reduced GC due to 185/70/R13, he simply asked me to drive carefully over speed bumps. Else get the OE 14" from A.S.S. but they don't have any in stock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
Wait Stop!!!!!
i will adivse DO NOT I repeat DO NOT change to 185/70/R13.
The reduction in ride height will mean big pain in GC while driving on speedbreakers.
I really appreciate your concern but all things said and done, I finally went for Michelin XM1+ 185/70/R13 on stock 13' alloys. I will have to live with it for the next 20K kms at the least. The only feel good thing was the free mobile phone being offered by Michelin that I sold to another mechanic for Rs. 800/- plus I got 500/- from the local "Anna" for my old tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Did you drive your lancer in 5th gear without touching the gas pedal or clutch? The car should just roll without jerking or stalling. Can you let me know the speed?
I took the foot off the pedal and let the speed drop to 25 in 5th gear, no problem. Then I raised the speed to 40 without downshifting. Then allowed the speed to drop to 20, noticed excessive vibrations so I shifted to 2nd to prevent the car from stalling. I doubt if you should drive @ 25 kmph in 5th even if the car allows you to.

------------------------
warm regards
Chewbacca

Note from Mod : All the Q's you have asked here have often been covered on the forum. Please search. This thread is closed

Last edited by GTO : 6th September 2010 at 09:33. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks