Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2011, 13:41   #106
MCR
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios or Tata Manza?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Are the Dzire & Manza in the league of the Innova & Corolla? I think not.

Did I say that?
Dzire has horrendous interiors. Manza has slightly better ones, atleast the dashboard. But the door pads in Manza are a big let down.
One point to remember here is that all these cars are built to a price. This is a segment exclusive for India, where owning a 3-box is considered prestigious as compared to a hatchback.
Old 26th March 2011, 14:16   #107
Senior - BHPian

I will vote for Etios the day I can digest its looks. I can't stand the way that....THING... looks. Interiors included.

And yes, I repeat for the Nth time, Logan eats it for breakfast when it comes to interior ride comfort and engine reliability. I am comparing a diesel to a petrol but then they stack up neck to neck in real market conditions.
Old 26th March 2011, 15:21   #108
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to point out that the etios is toyotas first attempt at a vehicle in this price range, so sure there are going to be a few hits and misses with the etios which will probably be ironed out in future variants. But toyota has researched the market needs in this segment very well and have done their best to provide something which will suit prospective buyers to the T. Pretty much like how ford has managed to do so with the figo. Really hitting the nail spot on. So my vote continues to stay with the etios
Old 26th March 2011, 18:03   #109
BHPian

I went to the TATA showroom today, just to check out the deals going on the Nano, the car that impressed me the most amoung all cars there was the Manza, the space is simply fantastic the comfort is unparallel, I even found the over all seating more comfortable than the Aria. If I had to pick a car in that class, I would definetely go with the Diesel Manza.
Old 27th March 2011, 05:46   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Just wanted to point out that the etios is toyotas first attempt at a vehicle in this price range, so sure there are going to be a few hits and misses with the etios which will probably be ironed out in future variants. But toyota has researched the market needs in this segment very well and have done their best to provide something which will suit prospective buyers to the T. Pretty much like how ford has managed to do so with the figo. Really hitting the nail spot on. So my vote continues to stay with the etios
We are always liberal and broad minded when it comes to showering kudos on foreign badges. Why should we vote for Etios when Toyota/Etios is only on the learning curve where as Tata Manza has already achieved the luxury and quality match required for Indian roads and customers? What should we choose? A third rated product from a perceived top brand or a first rated product from a popular Indian brand?
Old 27th March 2011, 09:23   #111
Senior - BHPian

Well as i said before tata has done well to improve on the indica/vista/manza models. When launched first the indica was truly offered more car per car. And continues to do so offering class leading space in their respective classes.

But i am looking from a wider perspective. When i choose to buy a car i want the whole experience to be wow/fantastic/memorable.

I have had horrible experiences with tata dealerships just on the sales front. Have stood around like a monkey waiting for someone to help me. Then after getting attended to, the attitude as well as lack of connect with the customer really left a bad tastr in my mouth. Even after all this you will be shocked to know i did not even step into forget test drive the vehicle intended. Did they give me a call later to find out if i liked the car. NO they didnt bother to nor did they care. So i thought to myself hey, if the sales experience is going to be pathetic im sure the after sales is going to be a nightmare. Others may have different experiences and ofcourse good ones too. But i have had two dealership level distasteful experiences which has kept me away from tata cars.

Please note that in no way am i saying tata does not make great vehicles. Or that sales or service will always be bad from tata. These views are due to my personal experiences.

I did go to check out the etios at the showroom and my experience with toyota has always been good. On one occasion when the sales staff were busy attending other customers. The manger himself came to show and explain the features of the intended vehicles.

Also some might feel that comparing toyota with tata might be a little unfair when we compare the volumes. But hey, i have had only good experiences with maruti as well as hyundai too. Both are volume players too.
Old 27th March 2011, 21:58   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Etios / Liva is no where close to Figo as a well rounded product. IMO where Ford has succeeded, Toyota has failed. While Suzuki (may be not so much) and Tata are able to make well rounded products in the same price point, Toyota just wants to ride on the brand and fundamentals alone. Thats why Figo is a better effort from Ford whereas Toyota comes short in the effort front.
Old 28th March 2011, 10:13   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Toyota just wants to ride on the brand and fundamentals alone
As long as, there are many people who are willing to buy just because of the brand rather than merit, as long as we have journalists who ignore the deficiencies just because it is of a specific brand, Toyota will continue to do this. As long as there is such demand, any manufacturer will try to increase the profitability. I think Toyota understood the Indian mentality very well taking advantage of it. Only we should be blamed for this.
Old 28th March 2011, 11:27   #114
Senior - BHPian

Ok first need to confirm is the etios/liva platform new for india?
Because if i am not mistaken the figo is built on an existing platform available to ford in india.
So i think ford has managed to offer much more in terms of features etc as the platform costs were lower.
This is how i feel about it. Anyways we know the japs always like to charge us more. But still toyota has not gone the honda way.
Also i think they have given us good products like the innova, just look at the build quality. And some of the components are over engineered for india. So to bring costs down toyota has refrained from using over engineered components in the etios and stuck to india specific requirements.
Bottomline ~ if i were buying, i would stick to etios. Why?
These are purely my views
better sales experience
better after sales experience
better reliability (now this is going by toyota previous standards, ofcourse the etios will have to prove itself)
also to add that maintaining toyota cars are very pocket friendly.
Everyone will have their own opinion. This is mine.
Cheers
drive safe!
Old 29th March 2011, 03:24   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Ok first need to confirm is the etios/liva platform new for india?
Because if i am not mistaken the figo is built on an existing platform available to ford in india.
So i think ford has managed to offer much more in terms of features etc as the platform costs were lower.
This is how i feel about it. Anyways we know the japs always like to charge us more. But still toyota has not gone the honda way.
Also i think they have given us good products like the innova, just look at the build quality. And some of the components are over engineered for india. So to bring costs down toyota has refrained from using over engineered components in the etios and stuck to india specific requirements.
Bottomline ~ if i were buying, i would stick to etios. Why?
These are purely my views
better sales experience
better after sales experience
better reliability (now this is going by toyota previous standards, ofcourse the etios will have to prove itself)
also to add that maintaining toyota cars are very pocket friendly.
Everyone will have their own opinion. This is mine.
Cheers
drive safe!
Toyota has brought old gen platforms like qualis, innova etc. and did not give any cost benefits to the indian consumer. Just imagine the price difference between Innova and Frotuner though they share same platform. So where Ford was able to pass on some of the cost savings to the consumer Toyota was not able to.
Old 29th March 2011, 10:06   #116
Senior - BHPian

Very valid point there. not entirely sure on this one, but is it because the fortuner is a ckd and the taxes levied are on the higher side.
Old 30th March 2011, 09:52   #117
BHPian

Isn't Etios based on the Toyota Echo? If yes, it should be comparable to Ford Figo from a product perspective.
Old 30th March 2011, 20:48   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Isn't Etios based on the Toyota Echo? If yes, it should be comparable to Ford Figo from a product perspective.
Etios is a new platform for making budget cars and it is not comparable to Figo because Figo was built on an old platform. New platform or old platform -it is a question of bottomlines and margins.
Old 31st March 2011, 00:09   #119
BHPian

^^^ I don't think that is right. It is indeed an ECHO platform. One of those review videos posted on Youtube has mentioned this. It even referred the code name of the original platform. Can you cite your reference please?
Old 31st March 2011, 02:36   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
^^^ I don't think that is right. It is indeed an ECHO platform. One of those review videos posted on Youtube has mentioned this. It even referred the code name of the original platform. Can you cite your reference please?
Check this out:
Toyota Etios - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...858446966.html
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks