Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2013, 23:08   #121
BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Guys,

Need some urgent help. We just did some renovation work at our place - primarily replacing the old mosaic flooring with vitrified tiles (2X2). The tiles that we have put now are the ones with Nano technology.

The renovation work got completed just today and we were sorting things out to their original places. While moving a steel almirah, we missed to put something underneath it which caused few scratch marks in few tiles.

We immediately tried rubbing those scratch marks with turpentine but without any luck. I am totally depressed seeing those marks and feel so bad.

Is there anything that would make this marks vanish? Even if these stains gets reduced to quite a bit, I will be happy.

Cheers!

Last edited by callvvijay : 7th July 2013 at 23:09.
Old 8th July 2013, 10:47   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Guys,

Need some urgent help. We just did some renovation work at our place - primarily replacing the old mosaic flooring with vitrified tiles (2X2). The tiles that we have put now are the ones with Nano technology.

The renovation work got completed just today and we were sorting things out to their original places. While moving a steel almirah, we missed to put something underneath it which caused few scratch marks in few tiles.

We immediately tried rubbing those scratch marks with turpentine but without any luck. I am totally depressed seeing those marks and feel so bad.

Is there anything that would make this marks vanish? Even if these stains gets reduced to quite a bit, I will be happy.

Cheers!
Are you sure that the tiles are "Vitrified Tiles"?

Vitrified tiles are those that have silicon in them and are fired at much higher temparature. They are practically impervious to water and are extremely hard. So if you have scratched them they may be "Semi Vitrified" which are softer.

In general vitrified tiles are scratch proof for all practical purpose
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitrified_tile
http://somanyceramicstiles.blog.com/...d-stylishness/

Scratch marks can only be removed by grinding, which is not a solution. Check how deep the scratch marks are. If deep then you have to fill them up and polish them. If shallow then just try painting them over.
Old 8th July 2013, 10:53   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Vitrified tiles usually just have a surface layer on top. if that layer is scratched then there is not much you can do.

Options are a throw rug to cover the area or replace the tile. Painting over the scratch might be a temporary solution but will wear off in a few weeks.
Old 8th July 2013, 12:01   #124
BHPian

As Navin has mentioned, there is nothing much you can do now. It is true that vitrified tiles are harder, but still get scratches, and then comes the drawback, you simply cant get rid of scratches by buffing etc like on stones. You just have to change those particular tiles!
Old 31st August 2013, 20:41   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Has any one installed steel wardrobe/modular kitchen from godrej interio? If so, please share your feedback.

Also,feedback on pragati galleria, bangalore would be appreciated.
Old 1st September 2013, 10:36   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Has any one installed steel wardrobe/modular kitchen from godrej interio? If so, please share your feedback.

Also,feedback on pragati galleria, bangalore would be appreciated.
A friend has got the wardrobe. They are very happy.
Old 21st October 2013, 19:35   #127
BHPian

We are painting our interiors. We have chosen the "Camel skin" shade from Asian Paints and planning to use pure white for interior doors and window panes as contrast. Would like to know if any member has experience using "Camel skin" shade?

Thanks for any comments.
Old 21st October 2013, 22:41   #128
Senior - BHPian

Just go to the store and see the colour in real. Whatever you see on your computer screen/catalogue/shade cards are slightly different from actual shade.

If possible you can get small quantity and paint it yourself to see how it looks.
Old 21st October 2013, 22:53   #129
Senior - BHPian

You can get a sample made from Asian paints. Any dealer with a paint dispensing machine can do this. It is essentially a 200 ml jar of the shade under considerations. One can paint a small patch, generally 2x3 foot and see the colour direct on the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
We are painting our interiors. We have chosen the "Camel skin" shade from Asian Paints and planning to use pure white for interior doors and window panes as contrast. Would like to know if any member has experience using "Camel skin" shade?

Thanks for any comments.
Old 22nd October 2013, 15:35   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Just go to the store and see the colour in real. Whatever you see on your computer screen/catalogue/shade cards are slightly different from actual shade.

If possible you can get small quantity and paint it yourself to see how it looks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
You can get a sample made from Asian paints. Any dealer with a paint dispensing machine can do this. It is essentially a 200 ml jar of the shade under considerations. One can paint a small patch, generally 2x3 foot and see the colour direct on the wall.
Thank you for your suggestions. I have just bought a sample quantity of the shade and will try out.
Old 30th October 2013, 23:35   #131
BHPian

Guys, any idea of an alternative way to cover an opening in a room apart from placing a window? I'm asking this because there is a pretty big opening in a room where I have just recently fixed an A/C. The cost of buying/fixing a sliding window is a bit expensive, hence was wondering if anyone is aware of a cheaper solution, perhaps something which doesn't restrict light from entering the room too.

Couldn't really find anything useful online, so I'm trying my luck here .
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 275BHP : 30th October 2013 at 23:36.
Old 31st October 2013, 07:53   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275BHP View Post
Thanks in advance.
I had once put a thermocol sheet in such an opening. We then used it to pin up photographs etc on that sheet. Strength of the covering will be near zero, but if cut properly you can get an airtight fitting.

Regards,
Old 31st October 2013, 09:47   #133
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Guys, any idea of an alternative way to cover an opening in a room apart from placing a window? I'm asking this because there is a pretty big opening in a room where I have just recently fixed an A/C. The cost of buying/fixing a sliding window is a bit expensive, hence was wondering if anyone is aware of a cheaper solution, perhaps something which doesn't restrict light from entering the room too.

Thanks in advance.
Put up a pic here of the opening. Suggesting would be easier.
Old 31st October 2013, 12:07   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
If the opening is towards the interiors of the house then a simple curtain should do. In case you want light then a thick transparent plastic sheet which can be either fixed or rolled up like a "Chick" should be enough.

In case the opening is towards the outside of the house then a more permanent (and expensive) solution is required.
Old 31st October 2013, 23:40   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
I had once put a thermocol sheet in such an opening. We then used it to pin up photographs etc on that sheet. Strength of the covering will be near zero, but if cut properly you can get an airtight fitting.

Regards,
Thanks for the suggestion, however, I was wondering if it will be effective in covering a large opening. Have attached a picture of the window below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Put up a pic here of the opening. Suggesting would be easier.
Yes, here's the picture.

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-win999.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If the opening is towards the interiors of the house then a simple curtain should do. In case you want light then a thick transparent plastic sheet which can be either fixed or rolled up like a "Chick" should be enough.

In case the opening is towards the outside of the house then a more permanent (and expensive) solution is required.
Wouldn't a curtain allow cool air to easily pass through it, since the openings in the end cant be completely secured with a curtain?

The opening is towards the house only, as can be seen in the picture. The plastic sheet idea sounds good. Shall check with my local carpenter about this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks