Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2012, 10:53   #136
BHPian

Re: The right way to play Badminton

dear friends its nearly 6 months after i started replaying.in this 6 months i may have missed my play for a week or so.as i mentioned before weight was my problem and my body beared all the brunt of the play.after reading this thread i started proper stretching exercise before play.i also burn 50 calories in elliptical before play.
1) knee pain- the first pain,started within a wk.i bought ergoshape yonex shoes with extra heel cups. still the pain persisted.then i stopped using the heel cups and the pain faded away.
2) next was the shouldr pain .funny i got this in both the shoulders.i was initially using YONEX MP,84-89 gms racquet.the pain was more whenever i lifted my hands for a smash.i switched to LI NING WINGS STROM 690,79-81 gms.my smashes became power less but my shoulder pain came down by 80%.
3) again knee joint pain, this time on the left leg just above patella.now i am wearing a knee cap,but still the pain is there especially when i walk upstairs.
4) elbow pain and ankle pain-got relieved with a single dose of pain killer.
good news is that i lost 6 TO 7 KGS in this 6 months, inspite of aggressive appetite .my face is less chubby,my single FAMILY PACK tummy ( not the six pack) is also melting.on the whole i am a happy man but for the knee joint pain
Old 22nd June 2012, 10:59   #137
Senior - BHPian

Playing the Hyd Districts today,lets see how it goes.Last time had to bow out in the finals,l hope its better this time
Old 22nd June 2012, 13:05   #138
BHPian

ranjitp1
best of luck buddy
Old 22nd June 2012, 13:44   #139
Senior - BHPian

All the best Ranjit. Hope you do better than your last attempt.
Old 22nd June 2012, 18:55   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbabuanand View Post
4) elbow pain and ankle pain-got relieved with a single dose of pain killer.
good news is that i lost 6 TO 7 KGS in this 6 months, inspite of aggressive appetite .my face is less chubby,my single FAMILY PACK tummy ( not the six pack) is also melting.on the whole i am a happy man but for the knee joint pain
Knee pain are because of two reasons, one stamping the feet on the floor and two less or more cushioning under the shoes. Have you put some cushion inside the shoes? If not it might be worth a try to put a thin one first. Start with the thinnest ones, as the thicker ones something do not suit the legs.

For the elbow pain, are you doing some exercises, if yes then try these changes in the game/equipment.

1. Try overgrip and replacement-grip on the racquet, i.e. if you have already tried overgrip and it has not helped then try replacement grip.
2. Try changing the string tension on the racket, usually too tight strings transfer lot of jerk on the elbow and hence for some folks a little loose strings help.

Now both the suggestions above are short-medium term in nature. For permanent solution try elbow exercises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Playing the Hyd Districts today,lets see how it goes.Last time had to bow out in the finals,l hope its better this time
, may you win this time, lets try the 50k thingy as well once it comes out.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 22nd June 2012 at 19:00.
Old 24th June 2012, 20:19   #141
BHPian

mayankjha1806
more than the elbow pain the pain above the patella is bothering me.
what is your opinion about the power cushion shoes from yonex,and how is your head ache.
is doing elliptical just before play good for the knees?
Old 9th July 2012, 13:18   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what is your opinion about the power cushion shoes from yonex,and how is your head ache.
I like my Yonex shoes, and hence would recommend them. They are good. My headache has not come back since we last discussed it. Had a few instances with Glucose and Electrol and then i no longer need them anymore. Just do with plain water.

Are Wilson Badminton Racquets Good?

Today something happened, and its worth mentioning on this thread. My good friend bought himself a Wilson (82-88Gms) says 3U on the handle on a manual sticker. The racquet broke on the first day. Here are some pictures.

The right way to play Badminton-wilson1.jpg

The right way to play Badminton-wilson2.jpg

The right way to play Badminton-wilson3.jpg

The place it broke is kindof weird, as to me it suggests weakness of the metal and the pipe. In any new racquet, especially in a different weight category one would have some mistimed shots that would hit the metal, and for metal to break like this suggests design defect, frankly.
Old 9th July 2012, 23:06   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ranjitp1
best of luck buddy
Thanks doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
All the best Ranjit. Hope you do better than your last attempt.
Thanks for the wishes Srikanth.Sadly the result was just the same this time round as well.Hearbreaking it was.Should be different the next time round.reached the quarters of the Mens event and reached the finals of the 35+ event.Final scoreline was 22-24 22-24!Yonex AS2 was used

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806
, may you win this time, lets try the 50k thingy as well once it comes
Mayank,the Half Smash Cup has been announced.This time the prize money has been increased to 50k per head for the mens finalist and 25k per head for the 35+.All the details at www.acesportz.com. Its from the 27th to 29th jul(fri to sun).Matches at KBA.Professional players barred from mens and 35+.I am thinking to play the mens with my partner fron here.Are ypu free that weekend?Lets try to play the 35+ together what say?assuming you are 35+More on the phone.Get your kit along when you come to hyd next.
Old 10th July 2012, 10:37   #144
Senior - BHPian

To participate contact Nikhil (9886086386) or Thomas (9845027878)

The right way to play Badminton-half.smash.cup.2012.jpg
The right way to play Badminton-half.smash.cup.2012.2.jpg
Old 10th July 2012, 11:11   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
To participate contact Nikhil (9886086386) or Thomas (9845027878)
Done, my name is now registered for 35+ Category. They only organize doubles? I am surprised no singals? Now i need to look for a partner, Ranjit are you game? i think next week i will come to HYD and will think of bringing my kit along.

Tried calling you just now, seems like you were busy. The place you play regularly, does it allow visitors (or non members) to play?

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 10th July 2012 at 11:12.
Old 16th July 2012, 11:43   #146
Senior - BHPian

Went with a friend to the store to buy sole inserts for my shoes, i use sole inserts as it give more cushioning to my feet and the whole thing feels much firmer. Have tried multiple sole inserts and none have worked the new ones look very promising. Will post pictures tomorrow.

While looking for sole inserts and my friend looking at racquets i stumbled upon this Yonex. My current primary racquet is Li-Ning pictured earlier in the thread and have no second racquet (The ArcSaber 8DX feels very heavy now after using 4U and W2 weight racquets from Li-Ning and Yonex).

Yonex Voltric Z Force
Head Heavy, good for Singles, comes in 3U and 4U weight. The racquet weight is slightly different than other Voltric's as its slightly less head heavy (Which i prefer) but the swing and head speed is as fast as Voltric. Its kind of a mix of Voltrix and Z-Slash (My earlier favorite).

Have been playing with both Li-Ning and Z-Force for last one week, still the marriage with Z-Force is not very smooth, but when i played singles yesterday the racquet just delivered what its meant for. Hard Hitting smashes, went like bullets and my opponent who is good at lifting smashes had trouble all the way through. Later he commented your smashes were like bullets today. The baseline game felt very comfortable and it gave a solid feel when hitting clears from baseline in both forehand and backhand.

There is one area this racquet struggles which is high pace of doubles which needs heavy wrist movements and quick smashes (Not necessarily powerful ones). The head heavy makes it slightly more difficult to do a fast swing just by the fingers and wrist, which is important in Doubles.

Finally some pictures
The right way to play Badminton-20120716-05.49.30.jpg

The right way to play Badminton-20120716-05.49.39.jpg

The right way to play Badminton-20120716-05.49.46.jpg

The right way to play Badminton-20120716-05.50.15.jpg

4U weight and G4 Grip
The right way to play Badminton-20120716-05.50.43.jpg

My two main racquets as of today.
The right way to play Badminton-20120716-05.51.09.jpg

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 16th July 2012 at 11:44.
Old 17th July 2012, 11:46   #147
Senior - BHPian

Corporate Badminton Tourney-Malleshwaram-BLR-21-22July

Frontfoot is organising a Corporate Badminton Tournament on 21st - 22nd July, 2012 at Canara Union, Malleswaram. For more information please call Astha Dodrajka at +91-8884410127 / 8884410128 or mail at info.bangalore@frontfoot.
Old 17th July 2012, 11:50   #148
Senior - BHPian

Li-Ning Corporate Super League @ Bangalore-GSC-4&5TH Aug'12

LiNing is conducting a Super League Badminton series at Gopalan Sports Centre.Quite expensive the entry fees I must admit.Afterall its all money!

The right way to play Badminton-lining.jpg
Old 25th July 2012, 16:10   #149
Senior - BHPian

This is the first time i saw this, Yonex chart for Strings, i knew this fact for some of the strings that i have tried, but knowing the full range and their location on the chart is enlightening.

Here is the picture
Name:  YonexStringChart.png
Views: 2574
Size:  48.0 KB
Old 25th July 2012, 19:59   #150
BHPian

@ mayankjha1806, best of luck for your match in half smash cup, your match is on friday morning 10:00 right, will try to be there to cheer a fellow bhpian !!

Most Viewed