Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2017, 13:52   #1486
BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Hello everyone,

I was trying out the mycams app and it seems nifty, hwever, it does not support Franklin Templeton at the moment and hence is useless for me.

I also did a brief rejig of the portfolio and this is how it stands today:

1. Liquid/ Debt Fund (broad horizon 3 years, equal to 5-6 months of expenses)
Franklin Templeton Ultra Short Super Institutional D-G

2. ELSS (Had to do it last year)
Axis long term equity (Has grown 18% absolute since Dec/ Jan). May invest more in SIP later this year

3. Equity SIP

a. BSL Frontline Equity (30%) (Gained 5% absolute in last three months)
b. Franklin Templeton Smaller Companies (35%) (Gained 9% absolute in last three months)
c. Mirae Asset Emerging Bluechip (35%) To start from May. The fund does not accept new absolute investment but SIP investment is allowed.

Someone suggested L&T Emerging Businesses fund to me. Monitoring it for the next 2-3 months and will then decide.

Tapish
Old 25th April 2017, 15:05   #1487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Thanks Saket! I feel the lock in period is useful for me because I spend it if new can close it anytime. I will now invest in ELSS instead of PPF. One more question, for income tax what proofs do we have to submit?
If you are KYC compliant and if you are starting a SIP online, all AMCs will provide you with an option to download your statement online. You can submit this as proof. If you are going via broker/consultant, they should be able to send you an email.

I would recommend that you start by yourself online as starting DIRECT will provide you with marginally better gains.

You only need to be e-KYC compliant once, so you have to start the first one via paper and the rest can be online.

PS: valueresearchonline is a good source to get you started on which fund houses you want to be invested in.

Atleast this is my understanding, please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 25th April 2017, 16:37   #1488
BHPian

Hi,

I'm a first time investor, mostly looking at investing in Tax saving instruments like ELSS, PPF, etc.

I've been researching ELSS for a few days now, and have a few queries:

1. Is it better to go with direct or regular plan of the tax saving fund of an AMC?

2. I'm assuming growth plan is better than dividend plan. How many years lock in period is advised? Though minimum seems to be 3 years.

3. From tax saving point of view, how much should one ideally invest in the tax saver fund per month?

4. I am looking to invest in DSP Blackrock Tax saver fund. Is it advisable?

5. How much of a difference will it make if I open an account directly @ DSP BR website or via myCAMS? Does myCAMS have any inherent advantage?

Any other instruments I should invest in purely from tax saving point of view?

Thanks.

Last edited by racingmachine : 25th April 2017 at 16:38.
Old 25th April 2017, 21:27   #1489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
Hi,

I'm a first time investor, mostly looking at investing in Tax saving instruments like ELSS, PPF, etc.
Thanks.
I've been researching ELSS for a few days now, and have a few queries:

1. Is it better to go with direct or regular plan of the tax saving fund of an AMC?
Definitely direct plans, as the annual charges (expense ratio) are less in direct plans

2. I'm assuming growth plan is better than dividend plan. How many years lock in period is advised? Though minimum seems to be 3 years.
Yes Growth Plan is good, by default ELSS are locked for 3 years, but if you continue for few more years, chances of getting good returns are high.
I have held ELSS plans for 5-10 years and they have given real good returns of around 15% CAGR.

3. From tax saving point of view, how much should one ideally invest in the tax saver fund per month?
1.5 lakhs is 80C limit, so you should consider to invest to satisfy the limit. Whatever is left from other 80C option like EPF/PPF/Insurance can be invested in ELSS. I personally put 70% of 80C contribution in ELSS.

4. I am looking to invest in DSP Blackrock Tax saver fund. Is it advisable?
Yes one of the best funds, you could also consider Reliance Tax Saver.

5. How much of a difference will it make if I open an account directly @ DSP BR website or via myCAMS? Does myCAMS have any inherent advantage?
I find investing with AMC more user friendly than myCAMS.

Any other instruments I should invest in purely from tax saving point of view?
PPF is good option for debt portion of your investment, and 30% of 80C limit could be allocated to PPF.

Last edited by born_free : 25th April 2017 at 21:50.
Old 26th April 2017, 00:14   #1490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
One more question, for income tax what proofs do we have to submit?
The statement of investment by AMC suffices for IT exemption.

Regards.
Old 30th April 2017, 10:46   #1491
BHPian

CAMS website shows an option for eKYC, using the aadhar card. However, the limit per mutual fund via this method is 50k annually.

What is the alternate method? Is it really required to physically visit their office for in-person verification? I also saw OTM (One Time Mandate) option on their website. Is it any different from KYC? Do we need to register for both? Very confusing! Please help!
Old 30th April 2017, 12:25   #1492
BHPian

Quote:
CAMS website shows an option for eKYC, using the aadhar card. However, the limit per mutual fund via this method is 50k annually.

What is the alternate method? Is it really required to physically visit their office for in-person verification? I also saw OTM (One Time Mandate) option on their website. Is it any different from KYC? Do we need to register for both? Very confusing! Please help!
Last December, I got the eKyc done for myself and wife from birla sunlife website and the procedure was fairly simple and everything was online, only the final set of documents are couriered to their Chennai office (follow instructions on the website, then you would have to get the in person verification done online through Skype, you need to keep the documents handy - all instructions are on their website). Once this is done you can invest any amount, to any of the mutual funds.
Old 30th April 2017, 20:35   #1493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri Vathsa View Post
Last December, I got the eKyc done for myself and wife from birla sunlife website and the procedure was fairly simple and everything was online, only the final set of documents are couriered to their Chennai office (follow instructions on the website, then you would have to get the in person verification done online through Skype, you need to keep the documents handy - all instructions are on their website). Once this is done you can invest any amount, to any of the mutual funds.
But wouldn't that allow you to invest in mutual funds of only Birla Sunlife?

I am looking at investing in multiple AMC's.
Old 30th April 2017, 21:34   #1494
BHPian

Quote:

I am looking at investing in multiple AMC's.
HDFC saving account netbanking option has a 'MutualFund' page, that allows you to invest in almost all mutual funds. There do charge a small commision but its very convinient to have all funds in one window and have been using for 8 years.
If I were to start today, even the individual fund websites with the direct scheme would be ideal to start an SIP. I dont think you would be investing in 5 or more funds. The fund houses and CDSL will send regular reports for you to reconcile.
Old 30th April 2017, 21:54   #1495
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
But wouldn't that allow you to invest in mutual funds of only Birla Sunlife?
KYC are done with registrar. Once you are KYC complaint , you need not go to every fund house with KYC forms. It all gets updated itself with all fund houses.
Old 2nd May 2017, 20:37   #1496

Can someone comment on my Portfolio!!!

Dear BHPians,
I am 39 Yrs old. I intend to retire at 55 yrs of age. Unfortunately I was very late into SIP thing and have started investing recently since last 8 months. I am putting around 1 lakh per month. I have taken services of a financial advisor who has made following portfolio for me. I expect a appreciation of atleast 12-15% over time period of next 15 yrs.
  1. Motilal Oswal Most Focussed Multicap Fund 35
  2. Axis Childrens Gift Fund
  3. Reliance Equities Opportunities Fund
  4. Motilal Oswal Most Focussed Midcap 30 Fund
  5. ICICI Prudential Value Discovery Fund
  6. Franklin India High Growth Companies Fund
  7. Mirae Asset Tax Saver Fund
  8. ICICI Prudential Long Term Equity Fund
  9. Franklin India Flexi Cap Fund
  10. Kotak Select Focus
  11. DSP BlackRock Focus 25 Reg Growth Fund
  12. Mirae Asset India Opportunity Fund Reg (G) Fund
  13. L & T India Value Fund (G)
  14. Motilal Oswal Most Focussed Dynamic Equity Reg (G)
I have certain questions in my mind.
Is the portfolio overall balanced or is it tilted towards one or other instruments ??
Am I taking too many funds ??
Is this a good portfolio or should I be worried about certain funds??
As I have started investing a bit late am worried about the choices which I make now.
So would really appreciate if experts can throw some comments here.
Thanking all in anticipation.
Old 2nd May 2017, 21:16   #1497
Senior - BHPian

Re: Can someone comment on my Portfolio!!!

Whether your portfolio earns or not your adviser is certainly earning more in commissions than you think.

Many of the funds are decent. Some .. well, maybe not so much. And others are extremely high risk.

If you're investing a lakh a month please use a "for fee" financial planner. They charge about 50k to a lakh a year but will advise you on building a portfolio of stocks and other investments - well balanced - after figuring out your precise financial position, assets, liabilities etc, and periodically rebalance these. (If you PM me I can recommend the one I use, he is located in Hyderabad but that's fine - most of the communication required can be over phone, email or whatsapp, and the required documents can be sent / received over courier).

Especially as you are new to the markets I would not advise more than three or four funds myself. If you put more money into a smaller number of well performing funds, and balance these with other investments, you have a greater chance of retiring at 55 instead of the normal retirement age of 57.

Remember your EPF as well - you have been contributing to it all through your career.
Old 2nd May 2017, 22:34   #1498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKINGTILLDEATH View Post
Dear BHPians,
I
I have certain questions in my mind.
Is the portfolio overall balanced or is it tilted towards one or other instruments ??
Am I taking too many funds ??
Is this a good portfolio or should I be worried about certain funds??
Did you ask your advisor the same questions? Any reason why he has suggested theses funds and also so many?

Since you are just getting started, take it easy. With a rising markets its easy to get carried away and start investing based on random tips, suggestions.

Good that you have started now, surely with your given investible amount, you will be able to retire with sufficient funds. Question is whether you will stay invested for 15 years?
Old 2nd May 2017, 23:34   #1499
BHPian

Re: Can someone comment on my Portfolio!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If you're investing a lakh a month please use a "for fee" financial planner. They charge about 50k to a lakh a year but will advise you on building a portfolio of stocks and other investments - well balanced - after figuring out your precise financial position, assets, liabilities etc, and periodically rebalance these.
Hi, I'd be very interested in an experienced and reliable financial planner. Would you send me a PM for his contact? Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 07:23   #1500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Did you ask your advisor the same questions? Any reason why he has suggested theses funds and also so many?

Since you are just getting started, take it easy. With a rising markets its easy to get carried away and start investing based on random tips, suggestions.

Good that you have started now, surely with your given investible amount, you will be able to retire with sufficient funds. Question is whether you will stay invested for 15 years?
Hi,

If 14 mutual funds is on the higher side, how many should be right? I have invested in 5 funds - 2 large cap, 2 small cap and 1 mid cap. Is this balanced for staying invested for long term or should I consider bringing it down to just 3 funds - 1 large cap, 1 small cap and 1 mid cap?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks