Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2019, 13:24   #2566
BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
It seems that they have reverted to the old pattern, probably after howls all around. None of us were keeping detailed records for MFs from Alpha. I hope the good sense continues. However, one can never be too sure.
Fully agree. The way current dispensation is after Taxes / money with all kind of absurdness, we are never too far away. Perhaps, The foolishness of earlier decisions is showing results nicely since much water have flown under the bridge

On a side note, I do not see mutual funds giving better returns in near future at least for another 2 years. Markets will be too volatile in near term with US elections coming up next year and UK choosing a PM who have promised them BREXIT by hook or crook. God knows how markets will react if trump makes a come back. For sure IT/BPO/ ITES industry will face lots of Head winds with margin already under huge pressure.

Personally, I had stay invested in MF via SIP and average out but avoid any lump sum investment. Typically market break out with good returns after being in range bound territory for some time.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 25th July 2019 at 13:27.
Old 26th July 2019, 14:48   #2567
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post

On a side note, I do not see mutual funds giving better returns in near future at least for another 2 years. Markets will be too volatile in near term with US elections coming up next year and UK choosing a PM who have promised them BREXIT by hook or crook. God knows how markets will react if trump makes a come back. For sure IT/BPO/ ITES industry will face lots of Head winds with margin already under huge pressure.
I agree with you. One policy which the Govt tried to do a go by was no retrospective work. The business with the MFs sounds of that.

I have no real hope with Johnson but he may be a smooth operator. Brits went for Brexit and can suffer for it. Their choice. They forgot that the days of the Raj are over. Now then are a second/third rate power. As Tony Blair said the high table is US, China and India. The next table are a lot of nations with a rising GDP and large populations. UK should be there with the EU but not without.

Trump has been a total randomizer, and the US is headed for God knows what? CAATSA is a big if, and also his recent anti-India rant does not help. I think the US can bid goodbye to any major defence deals with India. Trust was being established but then this.

I agree the markets will be random to say the least.
Old 29th July 2019, 11:42   #2568
BHPian

Apologies if this is not the right thread to post this, but I have come to know of a serious problem in my father in law/wife's finances hence posting to seek help.

My father in law has around 9 lakhs in DHFL fixed deposits which are running from 2017 and due to mature in 2022. These were done through an insurance agent offline. Given the precarious situation of the company he is trying to prematurely withdraw the funds but I have read that since May DHFL has stopped withdrawals prematurely.

Is there any advice or leads that you can give, on how to proceed ? The amount is substantial for lower middle class folks like us and the focus is now to recover the principal at least if not the accrued interest. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 29th July 2019, 11:58   #2569
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Is there any advice or leads that you can give, on how to proceed ? The amount is substantial for lower middle class folks like us and the focus is now to recover the principal at least if not the accrued interest. Any help would be much appreciated.
There is nothing much you can do, but wait and watch. DHFL so far has not defaulted on any of its liabilities. DHFL's default news was just a 'technical' default - meaning, they eventually paid back all bond holders after a delay.

Follow DHFL updates everyday using Google Alerts. This news article should bring some relief to your FIL

DHFL rescue plan holds out hope for FD holders
https://www.livemint.com/companies/n...121937513.html

Also, check this bit -

Quote:
The company, however, said it will honour premature deposit withdrawal requests in case of a medical or financial emergency, subject to fulfilment of appropriate documentation.
Old 30th July 2019, 02:11   #2570
BHPian

I need advice regarding my SIP in ABSL Pure Value Fund. The fund has been showing dismal performance for the past 2 years and NAV keeps on dropping.

My investment strategy has been to invest the maximum when the market is down but it seems I'm finally ready to give up on this fund. Any advice?
Old 30th July 2019, 07:12   #2571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranabegins View Post
I need advice regarding my SIP in ABSL Pure Value Fund.
Yes. Value funds such as Birla Pure Value and ICICI Value Discovery have been performing poorly in last one year. I think it is too late to exit them now unless you are in profit. If you have patience, you can hold for some time and wait for market to pick up.

You may want to read this article too - https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/70406712.cms
Old 30th July 2019, 16:38   #2572

Quote:
I need advice regarding my SIP in ABSL Pure Value Fund. The fund has been showing dismal performance for the past 2 years and NAV keeps on dropping.

My investment strategy has been to invest the maximum when the market is down but it seems I'm finally ready to give up on this fund. Any advice?

ABSL Pure Value is much more into mid and small caps than its peers. These stocks have had a bad 18 months and this reflects in the performance of the fund. You can look at the portfolio of the fund and see if it still makes sense. If it does, stay on.
Old 30th July 2019, 21:45   #2573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Yes. Value funds such as Birla Pure Value and ICICI Value Discovery have been performing poorly in last one year. I think it is too late to exit them now unless you are in profit. If you have patience, you can hold for some time and wait for market to pick up.

You may want to read this article too - https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/70406712.cms
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsrini View Post
ABSL Pure Value is much more into mid and small caps than its peers. These stocks have had a bad 18 months and this reflects in the performance of the fund. You can look at the portfolio of the fund and see if it still makes sense. If it does, stay on.

I decided to stay invested, in fact as the fund is seeing a new low, I am going to be investing some more.
Old 31st July 2019, 08:23   #2574
BHPian

Been investing in SIP's if the following funds for the past 4 years:

-ICICI Prudential Multi-Asset Fund
-ICICI Prudential Equity & Debt Fund
-Franklin India Taxshield Fund
-Franklin India Focused Equity Fund
-Franklin India Smaller Companies Fund

In the current market scenario, the returns % (XIRR) all the above funds are hovering around 10, except the last one which has plummeted to ~2%. Anyone else here invested in the FI Smaller Companies Fund?

Will it be wiser to sell it off and reinvest elsewhere or should I stay invested?
Old 31st July 2019, 13:42   #2575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Anyone else here invested in the FI Smaller Companies Fund?

Will it be wiser to sell it off and reinvest elsewhere or should I stay invested?
I am continuing to invest in Smaller Companies Fund due to it's star ratings on ValueResearch and MorningStar. I feel it's one of the solid schemes for the long run.
Old 31st July 2019, 19:08   #2576
BHPian

does investing in index fund is good options rather in other MFs, since these index fund link to market indices and as we observed market mostly goes at higher index point compared to previous year(s), means there is always high probability of returns.
Old 31st July 2019, 22:40   #2577
BHPian

All these so called value funds are marketing gimmicks. Either they tend to buy optically cheap ( low PE) stocks or they are "me too" equity funds. (Btw look at this way. Everyone who places a buy order on a particular stock, sees value in it. Thats the irony )
In my opinion SEBI should just ban all those funds with fancy names. Each fund house should have only one equity fund across different categories like diversified equity, large cap, mid cap, small cap.

Disclaimer: I dont invest in any equity mutual funds.

Quote:
Old 1st August 2019, 02:03   #2578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by truezealous View Post
does investing in index fund is good options rather in other MFs, since these index fund link to market indices and as we observed market mostly goes at higher index point compared to previous year(s), means there is always high probability of returns.
Same question. Is it not better to invest in passive index funds with minimal management fees, instead of curated funds which are actively managed?
Old 1st August 2019, 17:15   #2579
BANNED

Today after such carnage over the week the $-Re rate crossed 69 to a dollar. There had been some short term changes but the 69 was never solidly breached. Even today the closure is at Rs.69.05.
Old 1st August 2019, 17:35   #2580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
. DHFL so far has not defaulted on any of its liabilities. DHFL's default news was just a 'technical' default - meaning, they eventually paid back all bond holders after a delay.

Also, check this bit -
DHFL had a CP maturing on the 24th of June which they have defaulted. There was another CP maturing in July too which they have defaulted on which led to SEBI mandating all the AMC's to writedown investments in DHFL.

So, yes DHFL has defaulted on its payments and with no resolution coming out until now the future for anyone holding investment instruments from the company looks bleak.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks