Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2022, 18:39   #4141
BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
The way MF houses are behaving is worrying. Delhivery is one example of it. Major MF houses's to invest it in are
SBI, HDFC and ICICI are usual culprits but surprised to find Mirae asset in the list, that too for hybrid funds meant for conservative investors! After Zomato and PayTM even retail investors know better!
DaptChatterjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 18:42   #4142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
I am an avid reader of freefincal blogs and recently, the Author had published a GoogleSheets based tracker, which we can purchase for 400 INR for only MF and MF+Stocks costs 800 INR. We can track our EPF,PPF also as a debt investment in the tracker.

https://freefincal.com/track-your-mu...-google-sheet/

I use my own created google sheets doc wherein there is automatic update of NAV when you open the sheet and automatic share price fetching. I don't track each SIP, just add the units I got to previous number and add the SIP amount to previous amount. No fancy graphs though.
Old 12th May 2022, 20:11   #4143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
I am an avid reader of freefincal blogs
Same here and I'm also following his articles for sometime now. I've learnt quite a bit and has helped broaden my perspective on finances in general and avenues for planning.
vijaykr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 09:39   #4144
BHPian

Guys I have started investing recently 6 months back and I invest 10K per month across Mutual Funds portfolios through SIP. Since 1 May my portfolio has gone down 18%. I am willing to stay invested for long. My query is, should I continue the SIP or Pause them? My research shows April to June period is a dull period for Markets though I may be wrong.

What do you guys suggest. Pause SIPs or keep them active?
Old 15th May 2022, 10:28   #4145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuman View Post

SIPs are meant to get you the advantage of protection from big price variation in the markets. As the markets are down/going down all the more reason to continue the SIPs to get lower price per unit.
shipnil is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 10:46   #4146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuman View Post
Guys I have started investing recently 6 months back and I invest 10K per month across Mutual Funds portfolios through SIP. Since 1 May my portfolio has gone down 18%. I am willing to stay invested for long. My query is, should I continue the SIP or Pause them? My research shows April to June period is a dull period for Markets though I may be wrong.

There is a hack to control emotions when you see drawdowns/losses in PF.
Calculate the drawdown on not invested principal but the total investment you intend to do.
Lets sat you have invested 1 lac so far and you see 18k loss (18%), but you intend to invest 10 lacs, so if you say I have 10 lacs to invest and I have a loss of 18k, thats 1.8% of the total principal.
I know it doesnt reduce the loss, but it helps you manage emotions.

Considering you are new investor, if you have chosen funds based only on recent performance & if you see it sliding faster than market or rest of funds, you need to think about SIP in such funds.
thirugata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 12:41   #4147
BHPian

Re: Which MFs for 7..10yr horizon

I am looking for lumpsum investment in Smallcap and/or Midcap MFs with a 7..10yr timeframe, maximizing returns is the objective. I went thru the last 10 pages, but couldn't find any recent discussion on this matter. Pls recommend with one or two lines rationale.
Old 19th May 2022, 18:37   #4148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
I am looking for lumpsum investment in Smallcap and/or Midcap MFs with a 7..10yr timeframe, maximizing returns is the objective. I went thru the last 10 pages, but couldn't find any recent discussion on this matter. Pls recommend with one or two lines rationale.
Just my 2 cents: Avoid lump sum in any form of equity investment. Spread it over time.
mayuresh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 18:58   #4149
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest you take a look at the STP option instead of one time investment - you can park your lumpsum money in a low risk fund and periodically move it into a suitable target fund.

If you want to be a little more clever about it - ICICI has something called as a STP booster plan where the amount transferred to target fund varies depending on the prevailing market valuation. I am sure other banks offer the same too.

PS: I do not have personal experience with the above two option so please do your due diligence.
Sandegov is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 19:38   #4150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
Just my 2 cents: Avoid lump sum in any form of equity investment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandegov View Post
I would suggest you take a look at the STP option instead of one time investment - you can park your lumpsum money in a low risk fund and periodically move it into a suitable target fund.
a) Want to invest in Direct route, hence I will go with MFU or similar option, rather than ICICIDirect etc.
b) Is it ok to consider Arbitrage funds as risk free (to an extent) to park the funds? If yes, which ones do you recommend?
c) For SIP/STP, please recommend 2..3 funds - smallcap and/or midcap, 7..10yr horizon.
Old 19th May 2022, 20:43   #4151
BHPian

Quote:
a) Want to invest in Direct route, hence I will go with MFU or similar option, rather than ICICIDirect etc.
b) Is it ok to consider Arbitrage funds as risk free (to an extent) to park the funds? If yes, which ones do you recommend?
c) For SIP/STP, please recommend 2..3 funds - smallcap and/or midcap, 7..10yr horizon.
Direct is a perfect choice. MFU is also a good choice.

Arbitrage may carry some risks. Liquid or short duration funds carry less risk. Arbitrage has equity tax treatment while liquid / short duration has debt tax treatment. You may like to compare the post tax returns (although returns is not the main goal for these.) They all will carry some capital gains headache. So even some bank accounts or FDs may give higher returns on parked funds, without capital gains headache - at least no need to rule them out completely. Arbitrage / Liquid / short duration / FD / Savings : all are valid options. But avoid exposure of more than 5L to a single bank as an abundance of caution.

If it is a significant part of the portfolio, better to consider flexi caps also.

Recommending funds is merky! For fund selection see value research, moneycontrol etc.
mayuresh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 10:13   #4152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
...So even some bank accounts or FDs may give higher returns on parked funds, without capital gains headache...
As you might be aware, interest on SB/FDs is clubbed with regular income and taxed at the slab applicable, the same as any STCG (<3yr holding) from debt MFs. Hence, going for debt MFs or bank FDs is the same for parking purposes, discounting the variation in returns.

BTW, I have a query. Are Indian MF schemes liable to pay applicable capital gains tax when they sell shares of a company?

Last edited by skumare : 20th May 2022 at 10:37. Reason: query
Old 20th May 2022, 10:41   #4153
BHPian

Quote:
As you might be aware, interest on SB/FDs is clubbed with regular income and taxed at the slab applicable, the same as any STCG (<3yr holding) from debt MFs. Hence, going for debt MFs or bank FDs is the same for parking purposes, discounting the variation in returns.

BTW, I have a query. Are Indian MF schemes liable to pay applicable capital gains tax when they sell shares of a company?
Yes. By capital gains headache I just meant the procedures to file returns etc are merkier for capital gains and easier for FDs. Why merkier : I do not as yet have a great trust in the RTA issued capital gains statements. I have my own tools to verify and still keep finding problems with them. Most typically fund mergers are not supposed to cause tax liability which RTAs do not handle well in their CG statements. They often mess up CII and so on. I have logged several issues with RTAs and SEBI till date with no resolution. And if you think that's not your headache because the accountant you hired handles it, it's not any better. They blindly trust RTA statements.

Last edited by mayuresh : 20th May 2022 at 10:45.
Old 21st May 2022, 22:06   #4154
BANNED

How to download CAS from CDSL? I started investing this year through Zerodha, just 50k worth of shares bought in Feb 2022. When i login to CDSL and selects February it says "No CAS available for this period". I have only bought stocks, never sold.That may be the reason? I haven't got an CAS through email also, whereas my friends are getting CAS via email.

Another question is regarding Mutual funds storage, i know its stored in either SOA format or demat format, if i buy mutual fund from Fund house they ask for our demat account number? also option will be given to store in SOA or demat format?, if yes which format should i choose SOA or demat?
Old 21st May 2022, 22:20   #4155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post

Another question is regarding Mutual funds storage, i know its stored in either SOA format or demat format, if i buy mutual fund from Fund house they ask for our demat account number? also option will be given to store in SOA or demat format?, if yes which format should i choose SOA or demat?
What you call SOA is technically called ‘physical’ in the industry. So, you have the option to hold the mutual funds either in physical form (not literally ) or in the Demat form. If you would like to take the advantage of pledging the MF units against share trading then you will have to keep them in the DP. Another advantage is that you can get the summary of your holdings i.e..mutual funds and shares in a single DP holding statement. But there are certain disadvantages as well like keeping your mutual fund units in DP will result in holding an active demat account which is mostly not free. Also, transacting through DP is not as seamless in my opinion as a physical mutual fund because you’ll need to transact only through your broker. You cannot sell it directly with the AMC since the units will be needed to be taken out from the DP for delivery. For people who trade shares frequently may not find it to be an issue but if you are investing in only Mutual Fund, they it is better to go through the physical route and save yourself the DP cost and hassle of delivering the units through DP while selling the units.

Last edited by saket77 : 21st May 2022 at 22:23.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks