Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2015, 10:07   #721
BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
Folks,

I1. ICICI PRUDENTIAL BANKING AND FINANCIAL SERVICES FUND - REGULAR PLAN - GROWTH
2. HDFC MID CAP OPPORTUNITIES FUND - GROWTH

Any BHPian's invested in the above funds? Any other good suggestions on fund selection?
Its a good fund selection. However, hope you are aware that the investing strategy of both funds is such that you will get higher than average returns when the market is going up - but also, lower than average returns when it is going down. Essentially, both are high return / high risk plays.

Otherwise, they are very good funds.
Old 16th January 2015, 10:17   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTiger View Post
Its a good fund selection. However, hope you are aware that the investing strategy of both funds is such that you will get higher than average returns when the market is going up - but also, lower than average returns when it is going down. Essentially, both are high return / high risk plays.

Otherwise, they are very good funds.
Thanks for your views!

I am aware that both of them are high risk/return funds. I have chosen first one because I am expecting good progress in banking/financial sector in coming years (though the US/EU financial sectors going to be little jittery). The second fund is selected because Midcap companies can grow much faster and returns better yield (if economy goes in slump, these returns will be very less or may be negative).
Old 16th January 2015, 10:23   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
Any other good suggestions on fund selection?
As per the suggestion in this very thread, I have SIPs with these two:-
1. Franklin India BLUECHIP FUND
2. IDFC PREMIER EQUITY FUND
Old 16th January 2015, 10:41   #724
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
As per the suggestion in this very thread, I have SIPs with these two:-
1. Franklin India BLUECHIP FUND
2. IDFC PREMIER EQUITY FUND
Both excellent funds, you have one large Cap and on mid-cap. So it is now a matter of maybe adding a variable cap fund - say ICICI Pru Dynamic. Other good options HDFC Equity or L&T Equity.
Old 20th January 2015, 17:17   #725
Senior - BHPian

Last installment of SIP in the following funds is now completed.
Franklin India Smaller Cos Fund(G) Amount invested: Rs 60000 Latest value: Rs. 84000
Reliance Pharma Fund(G) Amount invested: Rs 60000 Latest value: Rs. 75500

Clearly, Reliance Pharma has not performed well for me.

In the year 2014, I had to book my only loss - Franklin India Feeder - Franklin European Growth Fund(G). Stay away from that fund!
Old 20th January 2015, 19:24   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Clearly, Reliance Pharma has not performed well for me.
It has been a good performer for me. More than 8X over a period of 10 years, annualized returns of 24%+ over a period of 5+ years. It's a leader in pharma sector funds.
Old 21st January 2015, 00:47   #727
Senior - BHPian

I chanced upon a list of top MFs for SIPs from fundsindia.
ICICI Pru Value Discovery Fund-Reg(G)
HDFC Balaned Fund(G)
ICICI Pru Focused BlueChip Eq Fund(G)
UTI Opportunities Fund(G)
IDFC Premier Equity Fund-(G)

Here is the link to the article http://goo.gl/zKKzZx

PS: I have no knowledge about the credibility of the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Both excellent funds, you have one large Cap and on mid-cap. So it is now a matter of maybe adding a variable cap fund - say ICICI Pru Dynamic. Other good options HDFC Equity or L&T Equity.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will consider these when I plan the investments for the next FY.
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:01   #728
BHPian

Hi Guys,

As the financial year is coming to a close, I need to do some tax planning. I intend to make use of 1.5 lakhs limit under Section 80C and am planning to use the ELSS route. Can any one here suggest me a good fund?

I need to increase my exposure to large caps so please suggest me some funds which are mainly large cap oriented (some mid-caps if there are fine). I am not looking for multibagger returns but something around 20% per annum would be nice.

Also, after I have selected a fund, how do I invest in them? Should I go the bank and ask them or go through an agent? Any advice here would be appreciated!
Old 24th January 2015, 10:23   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Guys,

As the financial year is coming to a close, I need to do some tax planning. I intend to make use of 1.5 lakhs limit under Section 80C and am planning to use the ELSS route. Can any one here suggest me a good fund?

Also, after I have selected a fund, how do I invest in them? Should I go the bank and ask them or go through an agent? Any advice here would be appreciated!
Saanil,

This is a challenge that millions face due to last minute rush to save tax. With the markets currently at an all-time high, unless you want to invest with a really long time horizon in mind, it would be unwise to invest 1.5 lac in one shot. Please use the SIP route to average out the cost.

Some good ELSS funds are Franklin India Taxshield and Reliance Tax Saver. Good large cap funds are ICICI Focused Bluechip Equity and Birla Sun Life Frontline Equity.

You can invest directly with these AMC's after getting your KYC (Know your customer) verified. Again ,invest in these regularly for 10+ years and thank me later.

Tata Balanced Fund is an amazing fund as well in the Balanced category. Invest in any fund with the "growth" option for the best returns.

Disclaimer: I'm invested in all these and these have worked brilliantly for me. Please do your due diligence carefully while choosing your funds. You cant go wrong with any of these given a sufficiently long time frame.

Some articles for your use:
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/....asp?str=26634
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/....asp?str=23061
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/tax/default.asp

All the best, let me know how it goes.
Old 27th January 2015, 22:15   #730
BHPian

Friends, between Hdfc mid cap and Idfc premier equity, which one is better? I intend to start a monthly sip for 5 years. Is there any other better fund in mid cap section, other than the two mentioned above, which I have to look into?
Old 27th January 2015, 22:21   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Friends, between Hdfc mid cap and Idfc premier equity, which one is better? I intend to start a monthly sip for 5 years. Is there any other better fund in mid cap section, other than the two mentioned above, which I have to look into?
I would say, IDFC Premier Equity. Well managed fund, and consistent returns.
Old 28th January 2015, 00:40   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I would say, IDFC Premier Equity. Well managed fund, and consistent returns.
I own IDFC Premier Equity since 2011 and returns over the past year have not been that great. 1-year ranking of Regular Plan (which is what I track though I invest only in Direct Plans) has dipped to 87/100. 3-year ranking is 33/50 and 5-year ranking is 18/45. The Fund Manager has stated that they took a defensive call in the build up to last year's elections and hence this underperformance.

That said, I continue to invest in this fund in addition to my other midcap funds as I have faith in the Fund Manager. Until October 2013, this fund was consistently in the Top 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
ICICI Prudential Value Discovery & Mirae Asset Emerging Bluechip are also good.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th January 2015 at 11:07. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
Old 28th January 2015, 12:30   #733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
You can invest directly with these AMC's after getting your KYC (Know your customer) verified.
That is the issue I have been facing now. Was trying to do some investments for my mom through the direct route and KYC was not compliant. And these fund companies work only from Mon-Friday. Is it worth taking a day off and get the KYC done or do the investment through a nearby bank? How much would be benifit/loss for an investment of say 50k?
Old 28th January 2015, 12:35   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
That is the issue I have been facing now. Was trying to do some investments for my mom through the direct route and KYC was not compliant. And these fund companies work only from Mon-Friday. Is it worth taking a day off and get the KYC done or do the investment through a nearby bank? How much would be benifit/loss for an investment of say 50k?
It's definitely worth taking a day off to get this done, as all MF investments now need KYC verification. Also, you'll be able to invest in direct plans by only completing KYC.

Visit any CAMS office, submit all documents and they can do the verification in a few days.

It's not about the initial 50K, but all future returns would be atleast a percent better in direct plans, and that can add up a lot given enough timeframe.
Old 28th January 2015, 12:42   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
It's definitely worth taking a day off to get this done, as all MF investments now need KYC verification. Also, you'll be able to invest in direct plans by only completing KYC.

Visit any CAMS office, submit all documents and they can do the verification in a few days.

It's not about the initial 50K, but all future returns would be atleast a percent better in direct plans, and that can add up a lot given enough timeframe.
Thanks. And do I need to submit one set of KYC for each of the MF Company or just one would do for CAMS?

Most Viewed