Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2017, 19:44   #1426
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
The SIP extension (basically it is setting up a new SIP) on Franklin Templeton online portal is quite cumbersome process.
Had to make a couple of calls to get support team's help to figure out how to do it.

In contrast the DSP portal seems much better and also offers you easier options to extend the SIP with the same URN.

What has been other forum member's experience?
Although I have my investments in MF, but surprisingly I have never enrolled into an SIP! All my investments are lump sum investments for which I have used a few direct AMC websites, Franklin being one. At least for lumpsum investments, I have found it to be smooth enough and uncluttered. Especially, the statements are very simple and uncluttered for anyone to read.

Though, I have noticed that you cannot generate a blank folio with franklin, hence to use the portal, you must need to first sign up your investments with a distributor.

Would be helpful for all members if you could elaborate where exactly were you stuck.

Regards.
Old 25th March 2017, 09:30   #1427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Get a SEBI registered financial adviser:
1. Who is not associated with a specific fund house.
2. Who charges a fixed amount and not percentage of your profit
3. Who helps you to review the portfolio at regular intervals.

Have a look at:
http://www.finvin.in/
Sups,
Have you by any chance used their services? Any feedback?
Old 25th March 2017, 13:16   #1428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo View Post
Sups,
Have you by any chance used their services? Any feedback?
Its almost a single person company. The main person is Melvin, a nice guy. Check my PM.
Old 26th March 2017, 17:13   #1429
Senior - BHPian

I have a 5K per month SIP in IDFC Equity Fund running till Mar 2018. The fund forms about 30% of my total portfolio as well. Comparing the performance with other funds, I am thinking whether to keep the SIP running or stop. And should I switch the existing units to some other fund?
Old 26th March 2017, 19:12   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I have a 5K per month SIP in IDFC Equity Fund running till Mar 2018. The fund forms about 30% of my total portfolio as well. Comparing the performance with other funds, I am thinking whether to keep the SIP running or stop. And should I switch the existing units to some other fund?
After Kenneth left IDFC had not done so well. I would suggest you look at some other AMC.
Old 27th March 2017, 09:44   #1431
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
After Kenneth left IDFC had not done so well. I would suggest you look at some other AMC.
Kenneth Andrade was the uncrowned king of the SME world. By and large i find over two decades at least, that the Grindlays MF - the SC MF and now IDFC MF has not done too well in the Equity world. their Premier was an exception thanks to Andrade but the rest, less said the better. On the other hand they have done quite well in the debt segment.
Old 29th March 2017, 09:11   #1432
Senior - BHPian

Experts,

I have 3 mutual funds from Reliance family and am presently in consolidation mode. Kindly advise a good fund within Reliance to swap the existing portfolio in the Hybrid or Debt categories.

1) Reliance Diversified Power sector fund - This definitely needs to go. A laggard.
2) Reliance Equity Opportunities fund - Should I keep this? Swap the rest into this one?
3) Reliance Small Cap fund - Sitting on a good profit. Looking at present volatility looking to book profits

All the above funds were lumpsum purchases more than a couple of years back. All the above funds are Direct purchases and have a good amount of profit. Intend to stash the profits into a debt or hybrid funds.

If I swap all the three funds into a single fund, do I still have to declare in the IT returns?

Kindly suggest.

Once the best performing Mutual Fund house, they seems to be on the down slide. Would it be better if I totally exist Reliance fund house?. In the past the fund house was my major investment avenue and has returned some handsome profits.

Last edited by ghodlur : 29th March 2017 at 09:13.
Old 30th March 2017, 09:44   #1433
Senior - BHPian

Seems like no expert is willing to suggest anything to my query as above. I will have start doing my homework then.
Old 30th March 2017, 10:23   #1434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

If I swap all the three funds into a single fund, do I still have to declare in the IT returns?
Even if you swap funds, it's still treated as sell activity and capital gain is calculated accordingly on profit earned
Old 30th March 2017, 10:26   #1435
J.Ravi

Quote:
Once the best performing Mutual Fund house, they seems to be on the down slide. Would it be better if I totally exit Reliance fund house?
Here is my experience with Reliance MF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
The best mutual fund [MF] is Franklin Templeton, and the worst, Reliance purely from the point of view of settlement of claims arising out of death of the account holder, IMO.
I consider ease of claim settlement equally with the financial returns. Now, I don't have any investment in Reliance MF.

Old 30th March 2017, 11:27   #1436
BHPian

Quote:
Experts,

I have 3 mutual funds from Reliance family and am presently in consolidation mode. ......
All the above funds were lumpsum purchases more than a couple of years back. All the above funds are Direct purchases and have a good amount of profit. Intend to stash the profits into a debt or hybrid funds.

Hope it is not too late to respond for this post.

I'm not an expert in Mutual Funds to give advice on whether or not you should exit from Reliance MF.

But I do know about tax liability if you choose to redeem all your units in the 3 funds that you quoted. I have made some part of your post in bold above. Since all the 3 funds are Equity funds and you have invested in them more than 1 year back, all your profits qualify as 'Long term Captial Gains'. When you declare your Income Tax Returns (ITR2 perhaps?) please go to the Sheet named 'Exempt Income'. In it you will have Item called 'Long-term capital gains from transactions on which Securities Transaction Tax has been paid'. Please declare your profits in this section (this will NOT add anything to your tax liability). And you are done.
Hope this helps.
Old 30th March 2017, 12:32   #1437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Here is my experience with Reliance MF:

I consider ease of claim settlement equally with the financial returns. Now, I don't have any investment in Reliance MF.
+1. I stay away from Reliance group as a whole. Dont trust them with your hard earned money. There are other good MF houses which will serve better in the long run.
Old 30th March 2017, 13:29   #1438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
But I do know about tax liability if you choose to redeem all your units in the 3 funds that you quoted. I have made some part of your post in bold above. Since all the 3 funds are Equity funds and you have invested in them more than 1 year back, all your profits qualify as 'Long term Captial Gains'. When you declare your Income Tax Returns (ITR2 perhaps?) please go to the Sheet named 'Exempt Income'. In it you will have Item called 'Long-term capital gains from transactions on which Securities Transaction Tax has been paid'. Please declare your profits in this section (this will NOT add anything to your tax liability). And you are done.
Hope this helps.
This definitely helps. Thanks for the information. So all I need to do is mention the total profit upon redemption of three MF's. Will I have to update this sheet if I swap the units from one scheme to another within the same fund family?Does this sheet hold good for the stocks sale held for more than a year?
Old 30th March 2017, 13:42   #1439
BANNED

Quote:
Seems like no expert is willing to suggest anything to my query as above. I will have start doing my homework then.
All three plans you list are from Reliance. They attract strong sentiments, some love them, some loathe them. I will suggest you look at some websites link valueresearchonlinecom to help you decide. I personally find them taking a shorter horizon than my liking, but this is my opinion.
Old 30th March 2017, 14:13   #1440
BHPian

Quote:
This definitely helps. Thanks for the information. So all I need to do is mention the total profit upon redemption of three MF's.
You are welcome. Yes, that's all you'll need to do. Basically declare the profits as long-term capital gains which do not attract income tax.

Quote:
Will I have to update this sheet if I swap the units from one scheme to another within the same fund family?
I guess what you are referring to as 'Swap' is actually known as a 'Switch' in Mutual Fund parlance. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
If my understanding is correct, from Income Tax point of view - 'Switching' is the same as 'Redeeming' from one fund followed by 'Investing' in another. So whatever profits you made due to this 'Redeeming' will have to be declared in your IT returns.

Quote:
Does this sheet hold good for the stocks sale held for more than a year?
I'm not a Stocks person. But I don't see why the same sheet shouldn't be used to declare long term profits from stocks as well. Other BHpians like @sgiitk perhaps can probably help you out here!

Ah, one other thing which I thought may be useful to you (and perhaps for others as well).
If you are unable to decide on which fund to invest in, you can get some idea based on the CRISIL ranking of mutual funds - which they release after every quarter's performance. This document is small and easy to follow for new/non-expert MF investors. And it gives a reasonable picture of what to expect from each fund. It has worked well for me for the past 7-8 years.
I'm attaching the CRISIL mutual fund ranking booklet for the December-2016 (the same can be downloaded from CRISIL website as well).

The idea is to not invest solely based on returns. The rankings take into account factors such as: Returns, Volatility, Industry concentration and Liquidity. And rankings are available for all types of funds: Large Cap-oriented Equity funds, Diversified Equity funds, Small and Mid-cap Equity funds, Thematic - Infrastructure funds, Equity Linked Savings Scheme (ELSS), Index funds, Balanced funds, Monthly Income Plans, Gilt Funds, Liquid funds etc. (basically all types of Equity and Debt funds).

Hope you (& others) find it useful.

CRISIL_Mutual_Fund_Ranking-Dec-2016.pdf

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks