Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 18:15   #61
BHPian

re: Earthquake in Indonesia, Felt in India: 11-Apr-2012

There is very less chance of a Tsunami this time as the plate movement at the epicenter is horizontal compared to the 2004 earthquake where it was vertical.
Old 11th April 2012, 20:43   #62
BHPian

Never felt a thing today !

Has the tsunami arrived yet
Old 11th April 2012, 20:54   #63
Senior - BHPian

Nothing violent, but felt my seat shuffling slightly couple of times. If it wasn't for the girls in my office, who panicked and started running to the ground floor clutching their bags, we guys would even have noticed

Eventually though, when the confirmation came from nearby buildings, we were asked to evacuate the building. Only to get back in after a nice chat and laugh with the whole office at the parking lot

Pheww!
Old 11th April 2012, 23:23   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Earthquake in Indonesia, Felt in India: 11-Apr-2012

Was recorded as M 8.2 (at 2.14 pm IST) at our Broad Band Seismic Observatory.There were several after shocks too with magnitudes of 5 to 7.
This is the 50th quake in the region since 1797 with magnitudes of 6 plus.Other than a handful with M 6-7, most of these are in the range of M 7-8 or higher.
The region is tectonically hyperactive owing to the subduction of the Asian plate thrusting against the Australian plate.The Australian plate is in turn subducting northwesterly against the Eurasian plate (China, Russia, Europe).
The fear of a large scale tsunami was averted as there was no submarine vertical fault movement but only a lateral slip.Also, as the epicentre was located on the ocean floor a major catastrophe was averted.
Our East Coast and parts of Southern and South Central, some parts in the North and Eastern India were also rattled with tremors. This is bound to happen as the plate collision that creates a seismic event of M 8 plus leaves its signatures on a regional scale.
It is a bit disturbing to see the several South East Asian countries particularly to the north and in the vicinity of the Sumatra Island.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 11th April 2012 at 23:28.
Old 12th April 2012, 09:18   #65
BHPian

I like the title though !

RING OF FIRE:

5.9 MAG QUAKE HITS OFF OREGON COAST...
7.0 MAG MEXICO...
8.6 MAG INDONESIA...

Appears that whole world is shaking itself.
Old 12th April 2012, 09:58   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
I like the title though !

RING OF FIRE:
Ring of fire(for volcano activity along the western pacific vs Land/Island)

String of pearls(Perceived Chinese threat from ports surrounding India in Indian Ocean).

Such naming takes some boredom out of academic discussions!
Old 12th April 2012, 10:54   #67
Senior - BHPian

Good that nothing serious happened anywhere. Though, we got a new high on the number of users online.

"Most users ever online was 30,275, 11th April 2012 at 15:29"
Old 12th April 2012, 12:00   #68
BHPian

Was in a meeting with a colleague in Malaysia and he told me during the meeting that he is feeling the tremors there. Minutes later, i felt the tremors in my office at ORR, Bangalore. Only couple of us in my group noticed it. I felt dizzy and thought it was something to do with me .

Thank God that everything is normal now. All telecom providers would have got a jackpot yesterday.
Old 12th April 2012, 12:13   #69
BHPian

Nothing was felt in CV Raman Nagar BTP, was in a meeting with manger and was constantly getting calls from friends and family but she was not at all ready to believe that there is earthquake. When i came outside i was shocked to see the entire Tech Park people roaming outside.

Thank god nothing serious happened and hope everybody is fine.
Old 12th April 2012, 14:05   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
... never felt the shake shake thingy, maybe most of the times i was in my car, i could not have felt
I guess your car's suspension is earth-quake-proof .

At our office, many did not feel the mild shaking, in the same floor. They were wondering why everyone else was evacuating the building. I guess this was because of the very mild tremors that were experienced in South India (I read that it was felt more strongly in Kolkatta).

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 12th April 2012 at 14:09.
Old 13th April 2012, 16:11   #71
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Might be a OT on the thread but since it;s related to earquake;s and Tsunami;s most probably apt thread to ask

What happens to large Bulk oil tanker and cargo ships In case of Tsunami , say like One happened in 2004. Are they built such that they can with stand the impact . Ditto for Submarines if any in those areas. Given the force of nature ,i am sure they will be thrown out of waters. Sailors In the Forum are the best person to answer this question IMO .
Old 13th April 2012, 17:13   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Might be a OT on the thread but since it;s related to earquake;s and Tsunami;s most probably apt thread to ask

What happens to large Bulk oil tanker and cargo ships In case of Tsunami , say like One happened in 2004. Are they built such that they can with stand the impact . Ditto for Submarines if any in those areas. Given the force of nature ,i am sure they will be thrown out of waters. Sailors In the Forum are the best person to answer this question IMO .
Due to the plate movements (which we call earthquakes) under seabed, the water gets displaced. There are two possible plate movements (1) Vertical and (2) Horizontal. Both of these movements cause the water to be displaced. In particular the vertical movement causes turbulence (up and down) and the displaced water travels at around 400 to 600 kph. This happens deep under sea which means the ones that are safeset is on the ship just above. I'm not sure how submarines are affected when such high speed water flows.

This high speed water, when it reaches the shore (where it gets shallower), decreases in speed and increases in Amplitude (remember those old days physics lessons) and this amplitude is what we see as Tsunami on the shores.
Old 13th April 2012, 21:55   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What happens to large Bulk oil tanker and cargo ships In case of Tsunami
+1 to that. Ships and submarines. If the wave is at surface or near surface level, submarines may go down i suppose. But how does submarines predict tsunami?
Old 16th April 2012, 16:22   #74
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
+1 to that. Ships and submarines. If the wave is at surface or near surface level, submarines may go down i suppose. But how does submarines predict tsunami?
Submarines don;t predict Tsunami;s . it;s the sensors placed on the sea bed connected to canopy;s on top of sea surface which predict Tsunami. these canopy;s are connected to remote sensing centers via satellite links and any abnormal movement of sea water is reported to these centers.
Old 16th April 2012, 18:12   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Quote:
Submarines don;t predict Tsunami;s . it;s the sensors placed on the sea bed connected to canopy;s on top of sea surface which predict Tsunami. these canopy;s are connected to remote sensing centers via satellite links and any abnormal movement of sea water is reported to these centers.
they may not be able to predict tsunamis, but they sure can detect it. then again they've to be using active sonar (as opposed to passive mode or the buoy).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks