Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2015, 17:17   #3391
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Best & Worst Advertisements on TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
There are some classics (subject to personal opinion, of course)
True, its just that adverts earlier were quite bearable even if some were a little over-the-top.. today it literally reeks of desperation. While earlier programs switched to ads, today ads explode out of programs - one second you are watching a show/news and the next second BOOM! the volume cranks up 10 levels and the symphony of stupidity commences.

I had to literally rub my eyes when more than a minute-long adverts (literally) began popping up, I couldn't believe what I was seeing (Snapdeal?) and it was all about online shopping and how books/sports gear when procured via cheap deals helped humble people become mega-successes. This television was always based on the foundation of fantasy and brainless fun (whatever that means) but now its going straight to coo-coo land and it has to stop somewhere.

To give credit where due though, some of Tanishq/Titan ads, some Pepsi/Coke ads (non endorsed ones), Gillette, Colgate, some Cadbury ads (not the current one, that's garbage) & some others were good. Surprisingly some of the best companies manufacturing the highest grade products like Sony, Lenovo, Adidas etc do not feel the need to advertise much at all, boy am I grateful. Sometimes too much publicity backfires.
Old 27th April 2015, 17:29   #3392
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
......today ads explode out of programs - one second you are watching a show/news and the next second BOOM! the volume cranks up 10 levels and the symphony of stupidity commences.....
There's actually an ad (rather well-made) about that I believe. Some DTH operator trying to sell ad-free channels. The irony!

Quote:
.....some of the best companies manufacturing the highest grade products......do not feel the need to advertise much at all.
A good product speaks for itself, even today. I personally steer clear of anything heavily advertised. More often than not, loud advertising and discount deals are just an excuse to hide a lousy product behind all the jazz.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th April 2015 at 17:31.
Old 27th April 2015, 17:44   #3393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
There's actually an ad (rather well-made) about that I believe. Some DTH operator trying to sell ad-free channels. The irony!
You mean an ad about an enabler of ads who's advertising about not having ads via an ad? Got it ;-)
Old 3rd May 2015, 17:13   #3394
Team-BHP Support

Vodafone has come up with some nice ads during this IPL season:

Not sure if this one made it to the TV but really really touchy.

Saw a new one today about a guy watching a tennis tournament with the camera mounted to his cap and his friend in the hospital watching the live stream. Hasn't come up on their Youtube channel yet.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th May 2015 at 19:23. Reason: Resolved private Youtube URLs
Old 4th May 2015, 21:15   #3395
Team-BHP Support

Samsung Galaxy ad. I can't make out what they're trying say. It has nothing to do with 'next is now'.
Old 18th May 2015, 17:58   #3396
Distinguished - BHPian

This is brilliant!
Old 18th May 2015, 20:35   #3397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Vodafone has come up with some nice ads during this IPL season:

Saw a new one today about a guy watching a tennis tournament with the camera mounted to his cap and his friend in the hospital watching the live stream. Hasn't come up on their Youtube channel yet.
I liked all the 4 of them. Nicely made. That too , the one woth the older man retiring, people taking selfies, really nice!

Last edited by bblost : 18th May 2015 at 20:35. Reason: removed embedded videos. thanks.
Old 25th May 2015, 16:12   #3398
Senior - BHPian

In yesterday's one sided IPL Final, the gionee nobile ads topped the irritation benchmark. Snotty brat belittling and insulting his father over a Chinese depreciating electronic brick, somehow doesn't persuade me to consider that brand. In fact it makes me actively avoid it.
Old 12th June 2015, 12:16   #3399
BHPian

I liked this Titan ad I saw recently:

Old 23rd July 2015, 12:24   #3400
Team-BHP Support

The recent Cadbury Silk ad:

That dude is Malayalam actor Jayaram's son Kalidas!
Old 16th August 2015, 21:16   #3401
Senior - BHPian

my son Aditya's favourite commercial this month

Old 26th August 2015, 09:28   #3402
BHPian

Very interesting ad from Blue Hyundai in Blr!
Attached Thumbnails
The Best & Worst Advertisements in India-img_20150818_071116.jpg  

Old 26th August 2015, 11:20   #3403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Very interesting ad from Blue Hyundai in Blr!
That is poor advertising I must say.
Agreed that they wanted to highlight the Jazz part, but at least the sentence should have some meaning shouldn't it?

What should i understand from this? :
Is the i20's music player incapable of playing Jazz music?
They do not want customers who like Jazz music is it?

Writing the word 'music' in small fonts are all ok, but overall nothing makes sense

Now Honda can retaliate with "Don't hear the noise from the Elite class, soothe yourself with Jazz Music"

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 26th August 2015 at 11:22.
Old 27th August 2015, 11:35   #3404
BHPian

+1 to that.

It also informs public that Jazz is first choice and i20 the runner up indirectly without intent.
Old 8th September 2015, 09:39   #3405
Distinguished - BHPian

Introducing the new Airtel 4G advertisements that carry our country's proud tradition of brainless marketing yet again. First off I'd say 3G itself isn't bad when it comes to speed so getting a page loaded half a second earlier isn't important. Secondly the so called challenge of "isse faster network mile toh lifetime mobile bills free" itself is a joke since no other operator has 4G yet. There is also one small factor that speed itself is of no use with the data limit, I'd say no one in their right mind would download a movie or play 1080p videos on carrier data since here the limit tops off at around 4gb at average.

I'm unfortunately an Airtel mobile user and I hate the company to no end. I was the happiest person to cancel their broadband connection and now I'm much happier with fiber-based net. Things like 3G & 4G are priced exorbitantly and result in much greater profits to despotic entities like Airtel. Their arrogance and lack of ethics takes 2nd place to none. Unfortunately the subscribers do not understand that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks