Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2007, 22:46   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I have -10 and -8.5 power in the eyes
Dude, i have -8.5 and -9 on mine. But i have been using contact lenses for last 10 years. And nowadays, soft contact lenses with such high power are available easily and cheap ( mine cost around 1700 bucks for 6 pairs - monthly use lenses )
Try it out - its a lot easier than carrying a 200gm glass pair on the nose. And besides, you will be able to use sunglasses of your choice !

@Raja - go to Dinshaw, i get my specs as well as contact lenses from them since last 5-6 years. But i dont think they have Zeiss.. though i am not sure. These guys are absolute pros at what they do. Good service and a lot of variety in frames.

There's another optician right across the Dinshaws - dont remember the name. Check it out.

Last edited by hkanitkar : 5th November 2007 at 22:52.
Old 6th November 2007, 18:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Seen the new Transitions advt? Seems cool. Contact any prescription eye wear shop in your area to see if its available yet.
Old 6th November 2007, 19:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Seen the new Transitions advt? Seems cool. Contact any prescription eye wear shop in your area to see if its available yet.
please post here is anybody gets info on transitions.
Old 7th November 2007, 10:52   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
One point to note is that throughout the advert, with the lenses tinting dark or getting lighter, in the corner they say its a 'Simulation'. How effective are they really?
Do check in real surroundings with test lenses before parting with your cash.
Old 7th November 2007, 13:54   #35
BHPian

I too have power of -8 or so in both eyes. I use a powered dark glasses - and that is kept in the car and used only when I drive in sun. Got it done with GKB and used a flexible plastic lens and made it rimless. The edges do tend to get pretty thick but then who cares! You can get the lens made quite small - and that helps in keeping the thickness in control.
Old 15th April 2008, 00:32   #36
BHPian

Transitions.com - Home

Will Transitions work when bright sunlight does not directly fall on it as in when you are inside the car on a sunny day? Should try for myself!

Will this be an alterative for regular sunglasses?

EDIT:
Found the answer myself (!) at

Transitions.com - FAQ
"Are Transitions lenses suitable for driving?

Windshields in today’s vehicles block most of the UV rays that cause Transitions lenses to activate, or darken. As a result, when worn inside a car where less UV light is present, the ability of the lenses to darken is reduced. As an eyecare professional, you may want to recommend that some patients wear a pair of polarized prescription sunglasses for driving."

Last edited by Zappo : 15th April 2008 at 02:47. Reason: Combined two consecutive posts as per members request.
Old 31st May 2008, 14:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

I have recently found that I have got -0.5 with my left eye and that made me go thru this couple of threads here..
Planning to visit GKB in the afternoon today.. I shall have a pair of glasses for sometime but would like to work towards getting rid of the power either by changing the lifestyle (difficult for me) or if nothing works, I shall go for laser correction..
But, I want to use a pair of glasses so that I dont let the situation go worst...

I have read about Essilor Titus and Essilor Airwear,, also read about the transition glasses.. and also read about the Zeiss.
Can anyone help me choose from the above options?? which one to go for with the typical requirements that I have!!
Thanks.

Edit: May be I just forgot to mention my requirement.. I dont ride/drive too much due to bangalore traffic these days.. yeah I'm making most of the miles on my car/bike on highways these days...
I use computers around 2-6 hours a day sometimes more than that... and I dont want to spend much may be around 2-4K is a felxible budget for me considering I want to get rid of it over a period of time with some concious efforts..

Last edited by Ketan : 31st May 2008 at 14:14.
Old 31st May 2008, 22:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

Okay,
I visited GKB today, they confirmed that I've got -.5 on my left..
I visited GKB Optolabs first, they had CZ with them and were giving 40% off on branded frames. the transition lense (CZ) would cost around 3100.00 is what they told me... the normal one (CZ) would cost around 2100.00, this is going to be with all AR/AntiGlar, UV protection and scratch resistance....

Later, I visited GKB Opticals, they dont have CZ with them but they are giving Essilor and Seiko..
They are also giving transition (3900.00) but the base lense would not be CZ or some branded, it would be their own lense...
With Essilor, he quoted me 2200.00 for Crizal lense that has got AR/AntiGlar, UV protection and scratch resistance coating...

Most probably I shall decide on a frame I saw there (GKB rimless flexible) with Essilor Crizal he suggested me..

However, I could not get to see other varities I saw on Essilor website, I was interested in Titus and Airware. The guy there told me that all features/specs with Titus or Airware will be there with the one with Crizal coating that he is going to give me...

GKB is a big name, but I was not 100% convinced that he is going to give me branded lenses what I was looking for and hence did not pay the advance, I'm going to decide by tomorrow and day after if dont find a better option...
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:10   #39
BHPian

Ketan,

Be very cautious about the product and delivery date.
I ve heard too many complaints about GKB and didnt take the risk.

I would suggest You not to take the Transition route, its just aint worth the dough.
If You are getting normal ones, try to get Polarized ones.

8) +Rocky+

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 2nd June 2008 at 14:14.
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:53   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I think coloured lens upto -4 is feasible. Beyond that apparently it isn't possible in India.
My power is -6.5 and I had got my powered sun glasses made by Meghalaya Opticals/Ballygunge appx 2 years back. It cost me less than Rs 2000 and I still use it regularly.

Last edited by sbasak : 2nd June 2008 at 14:54.
Old 2nd June 2008, 15:00   #41
Senior - BHPian

I'm yet to decide whether to go with the Zeiss or Essilor. Also, can someone tell me if my outdoor usage is just about 20% (unless on a weekend or holidays) then is it worth going for transition lens? has that one got more benefits / features than the normal lenses apart from the change in color upon exposure to UV rays??
Old 2nd June 2008, 16:31   #42
BHPian

Ketan,

The most irritating thing would be with one ending up looking like a dork on moving to indoors from outdoors with transitions. They dont transition fast enough.

They work best only when exposed to direct sunlight and may not work well when, lets say, You are driving the car.

Ask the GKB if they can offer You a transition lens (without power) that You could test before actually buying one. Assure them You would buy another product if not for the transition lens.

+Rocky+
Old 5th June 2008, 20:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Alright,

I've got my spectacles today.. I've got Airware Crizal from Essilor. Thats a kind of all in one lense, I've got the anti smudge coating (Alize) done on top of all existing features with Airware.

:: Essilor :: World No 1 in Spectacle Lenses

Lens cost is around 1890 + 205 (for Alize). Its Polycarbonate and has got ARC/SRC/much thinner/much lighter/much more robust with impact resistance/100% UVA+UVB protection/Crizal.
Got the frame for around 1500.
Looks good, good clarity; it seems I will take sometime to adjust to it as its the first time I'm wearing spectacles..
I did not go for transition as he told me that transition on polycarbonate is very costly, it may go around 7-8K for Polycarbonate transiton, again I require this for indoor use mostly so decided not to go with it..
Old 5th June 2008, 20:31   #44
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Carl Zeiss is the only way to go..hope you can get them done correctly and quickly.It must be a pain to have such a number.
Why not try laser corrective surgery?
Old 26th August 2008, 16:10   #45
Senior - BHPian

Good spectacle shops in Mumbai?

I am posting my query here as I do not want to start a new thread.

I am looking for a good spectacle shop in Mumbai. I visited Zeiss, GKB and a few others in Bandra last weekend. While Zeiss quoted decent price for lenses (~1000 for a pair, with all possible kind of coatings - 10 to be precise), their frames were exorbitantly priced. The cheapest one was for around 8k (some designer frame like Gucci, Prada etc). I dont want to buy such an expensive frame for daily usage.

GKB has mid-high end frames (3-10K) but I did not like most of them. Moreover, they did not have the frame size I was looking for (i.e. 54-19). Also, GKB quoted quite high for lenses 2.5-5.5k, for Seiko, Nikon or Essilor Crizal).

I would like to know good optical shops in Mumbai from where I can get affordable (read VFM) frames and lenses. Of course, I can get the lenses at Zeiss itself, but if it is a one-stop-shop, that works better for me.

My ideal budget for frame+lenses would be ~4-5k. I am also looking for powered sunglasses, so shops specializing in those would also be good to know.

Any reviews of Titan Eye? I did check out their shop and frames were impressive (esp Tommy Hilfiger frames - a steal at 4.5k!). However, it seems that Tommy frames are unisex variety and hence they come in smaller sizes only (i.e. 51-18 was the maximum available size).

Most Viewed