Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2006, 18:49   #1
BHPian

Powered sun-glasses

Hi,

For last few days, Delhi's bright sun had been troubling me a lot; itchy eyes and all. I need to buy powered sun-glasses, with UV protection. Any idea where I might get those (Preferably in Noida or South Delhi)?

P.S. Are the Carl Zeiss lenses worth the high-prices they command?

\N
Old 2nd May 2006, 18:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

powered photochromatic ( this thats wht it technically called) will cost 2-3k and I think you haev to order these stuff.

Carl Zeiss are no.1 in lens and hence pricey. Also check out Nikon. Brand things command high prices.
Old 2nd May 2006, 19:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have a photochromatic as well as totally dark glasses. need to be ordered. i got them for around 2.5K each.(chennai, no idea about delhi).

AFAIK, they can't put mercury coating, any other fancy stuf when specially ordered. but UV protection comes with glasses, if you chose the costlier ones.

be very careful, they are much prone to scratches than normal ones. i don't know why. now i always keep them in their cover.
Old 3rd May 2006, 00:01   #4
Team-BHP Support

There is a shop opposite Galgotias in sector 18 market. Spectra something. Go there. He will make you an anti glare anti UV powered sun glasses, and come what may DONT BUY photochromatic
Old 3rd May 2006, 00:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
........and come what may DONT BUY photochromatic

Yeah, photochromatic lenses are almost useless for car-driving. Since very little direct light falls on the lenses, they don't react much.

They are perfect for people who work/play outdoors though...

For driving, I like a medium shade of polarised lenses...Somehow soothing for the eyes.... Ask if your optican can get you Powered-Polarised lenses.

Mine are made by Polaroid.... Quite reasonable too (less than 2k)
Old 3rd May 2006, 10:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
There is a shop opposite Galgotias in sector 18 market. Spectra something. Go there. He will make you an anti glare anti UV powered sun glasses, and come what may DONT BUY photochromatic
Thanx TSK, I'll go to sec. 18 today eve and got my glasses.
I have read somewhere that ray-ban also sells custom-made powered sun-glasses, any idea about that?

\N
Old 3rd May 2006, 11:12   #7
Team-BHP Support

Ray ban does that, but get ray ban if you want to make a statement.
A good quality UV protective glass is the same ray ban or not. Its just the hype.
Now Car Zeiss would be something else, they are champ glass makers, but most of us mortals cant really make out the difference.

You can get an Anti glare coating too, but bear in mind that such coatings last just 6 months or so, after that you have to pay around rs400 or so and get the coating done again.

Avoid plastic as you will need to get an anti scratch coating. If you are planning to keep your sunglasses in the car, dont buy a full metal or cheap plastic.
Full metal will burn your nose after you put in on when the car is parked in sun, and cheap plastic will melt. you have these coated metal frames. Cost around 700-1000rs. If going for plastic get the high quality moulded plastic which does not melt with heat, but from expirience I have found that sunglasses left in the dashboard, even if rayban etc., can get ruined.
Any queries about glasses feel free to ask me. Have had maqny many types, including those bend in any direction fibre ones too since the past 15 years or so.
Old 3rd May 2006, 11:42   #8
BHPian

Yup, agree. Ray Ban if you want to make a statement. If you have a optical showroom you trust - stick with that. They will take 1-2 days. Try & get the anti-glare ones, they are very useful in the bright sun that Delhi enjoys.
Old 5th May 2006, 12:53   #9
BHPian

Hi TSK and others,

Thanx for your help. I ordered my sun-glasses yesterday from Muaaz Opticals in Shipra Mall. I bought a Polo Club frame for Rs. 1450/- and Essilor Titus lenses, with scatch-proof coating for Rs. 850/-
The lenses are plastic ones (I have a 3 year old devil in my home, and she particularly loves playing with my glasses :-)
I also tried Essilor Crizal range (anti-glare) and the results were mind-blowing, it reduced glares very much. Next month I am sure gonna get myself a pair for my normal glasses. BTW, Essilor Crizal costs Rs. 1250/- and Carl Zeiss only Rs. 1400/- CZ aren't really as expensive as I thought.

\N
Old 5th May 2006, 13:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Tsk, why do you say that Ray Ban is not useful? From what I have heard, Ray Ban not only cuts off UV rays, but also has real 0 power lense, which is not the case with non-branded UV sun-glasses.
Old 5th May 2006, 19:39   #11
BHPian

Well I did not had any problem gettin Powered sunglasses with antiglare protection. The problem was in selecting the frames. The seller said..more the curve in the glasses more slided-down u will see. Finaly, I got one of my choice n which he even agreed to make. The frame is like "Fear The Black" goggles and lenses r black with antireflective and scratch resistant coating. Cost 2550. 6 months warranty!
Old 20th June 2007, 16:26   #12
BHPian

How are Vintage / fastrack / Idee brands in terms of U protection, glass quality etc when compared with Ray ban and Armanis ???

I bought my mom Vintage sunglasses just recently ... it has UV protection ..

Cheers
Old 21st June 2007, 04:47   #13
fb1
BHPian

poloroid aviators............................
Old 21st June 2007, 09:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi All
I have -10 and -8.5 power in the eyes - I regret, seeing anything clearly without my glasses is not possible for me even at a distance of a couple of feet. Lawrence & Mayo from where I get my regular glasses, says with this kind of high power you can't get sunglasses - because the lenses will become very very thick (particularly at the edges) and it is not practical to wear them due to the weight and overall ugliness.
Does anyone know how to prove them wrong?
Also, if you know any supplier/maker of swimming goggles with power, please let me know.
This will really help me.
Sudipto
Old 21st June 2007, 11:39   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Hi All
I have -10 and -8.5 power in the eyes - I regret, seeing anything clearly without my glasses is not possible for me even at a distance of a couple of feet. Lawrence & Mayo from where I get my regular glasses, says with this kind of high power you can't get sunglasses - because the lenses will become very very thick (particularly at the edges) and it is not practical to wear them due to the weight and overall ugliness.
Does anyone know how to prove them wrong?
Also, if you know any supplier/maker of swimming goggles with power, please let me know.
This will really help me.
Sudipto
Such lenses are available which are thin yet have -10 range powers
You will have to look for your nearest Carl Zeiss showroom.
Have you thought of laser surgery. In your case the number will be reduced to about -1/-2/.
Make sure you get a Corneal thickness test done before you go for it. A friend of mine with high power wanted to go for laser but did not go because for his eye the doctor said 90% success rate only, which is dangerous.
I hope you are aware that with such high Power you should refrain from anything which gives you a bad jerk in the head. Such jerks can cause Retinal displacement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks