Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2013, 17:08   #31
BHPian

Re: What to do with a cassette collection?

While doing some cleaning recently, I came across the cassette box (which gets opened twice or thrice a year) and then conveniently forgotten for next so many months.

Some of the tapes were the recordings from the Grammy awards telecasted on DD. Listening to the compering, voices from the winners brought back some good memories.

I have thrown away most of the hindi movie albums since they are much more easily available online. What I have left are assorted mixes, TV recordings etc

Same with the VHS tapes that I have, sadly the VCR has stopped working due to broken belt. A matter of time before the VHS tapes also go out the house. I believe VHS is still active in USA. VCDs killed that market in India.
Old 20th June 2013, 17:32   #32
BHPian

Is there someone place in Bangalore where I can get some old VHS converted to CD/DVD or any other usuable format?

Some old memories and people (no more) are captured in few of the marriage videos.
Old 20th June 2013, 17:58   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon_daytona View Post
Is there someone place in Bangalore where I can get some old VHS converted to CD/DVD or any other usuable format?
Pretty much any videography shop will do it for you. The ones that cover weddings / occasions.

But fungus inside the tape will be a problem (if present)
Old 20th June 2013, 22:48   #34
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Back to the original quesion on this thread - What to do with a cassette collection ?
Sometimes, you can get so lucky that someone decides to give away their dual tape deck and suddenly all your old cassette tapes get a new lease of life
Old 21st June 2013, 00:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
My dad has a shelf full of cassettes. I don't remember the exact numbers, but should be over 500. Most of them were TMS, MSV, PBS, Kannadasan collections.
Those are his favorites, and ready to add more to his collections.
Someone from Chennai / Coimbatore interested to giveaway your old tamil collections? I can collect it at your place.
I have a bag full of old classical Tamil (MS Subbulakshmi types) I got as part of a giveaway from someone else. should be some 30-50 tapes, PM me if interested.
Old 28th June 2013, 16:04   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Back to the original quesion on this thread - What to do with a cassette collection ?
Sometimes, you can get so lucky that someone decides to give away their dual tape deck and suddenly all your old cassette tapes get a new lease of life
Either you convert all the tapes to digital media or get a professional tape deck.
http://tascam.com/product/cd-a750/
http://tascam.com/product/202mkv/
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Cassette.html
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/202mkV
Old 11th August 2013, 12:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, I had a nightmare visitation in the house albeit expected . Pest Control India people had sent their guys as per contract to do a termite treatment of the entire house.
They exhorted us to turn all cupboards inside out....and we meekly complied.

Forgive the OT above.

But the net of it is, that I have now have 2 'big shopper' bagfuls of cassettes - some original , some pirated - and All of them lovingly hand-picked and collected from 1990 to 2003.
Collection ranges from Pink Floyd to quintessential favourites of Rabindra Sangeet and various things in between.

The world has moved on , and so have I. It's all mostly on ipod now, with double backups on my iomega and network hard-drive.

I do still have 4 different cassette decks in various shapes and sizes ranging from a small original sony walkman all the way up to a 'nice' phillips midi deck (I think they discontinued these back in '95). Anyway , none of the decks work - because the rubber belts have perished over the years.

Hence I can't play them - even if only for , reliving yesterday.

Throwing them away for a consideration is absolutely out of the question.

Some of these cassettes were bought by saving lunch money, yet others are compilations gifted by my better half, when we were just 'seeing' each other.

Not sure what to do with them - I am okay to give them away - but I don't know if anyone listens to these anymore.

Any suggestions?
Old 12th August 2013, 10:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post

Yesterday, I had a nightmare visitation in the house albeit expected . Pest Control India people had sent their guys as per contract to do a termite treatment of the entire house.
They exhorted us to turn all cupboards inside out....and we meekly complied.

Forgive the OT above.

But the net of it is, that I have now have 2 'big shopper' bagfuls of cassettes - some original , some pirated - and All of them lovingly hand-picked and collected from 1990 to 2003.
Collection ranges from Pink Floyd to quintessential favourites of Rabindra Sangeet and various things in between.

The world has moved on , and so have I. It's all mostly on ipod now, with double backups on my iomega and network hard-drive.

I do still have 4 different cassette decks in various shapes and sizes ranging from a small original sony walkman all the way up to a 'nice' phillips midi deck (I think they discontinued these back in '95). Anyway , none of the decks work - because the rubber belts have perished over the years.

Hence I can't play them - even if only for , reliving yesterday.

Some of these cassettes were bought by saving lunch money, yet others are compilations gifted by my better half, when we were just 'seeing' each other.

Not sure what to do with them - I am okay to give them away - but I don't know if anyone listens to these anymore.

Any suggestions?
There are multiple option, depending on how much you love the cassettes and what you want to do with them. Here is a list in decreasing order of financial outlay.

1. Get a professional cassette deck with a CD writer. Convert all the cassettes to CD

2. Get a professional cassette player, and play the cassettes till they wear out

3. Get an inexpensive cassette player connect it to a music system for better sound. Play the cassettes when you want.

4. Go to a local repair shop with all your decks. If you are lucky they will be able to source either original or replacement belts for your decks. I am sure that at least one or two players will be resurrected.

Or else you can go to a decent photo studio, those who take videos. They have facilities to convert tapes to CD/DVD. Get your collection converted to a digital media.

My wife has a collection of at least a thousand cassettes, which she hears on our Sony music system. I have been thinking of the option #1, as our CD player keeps going bad regularly.

Ultimately one has to convert all the cassette and CD/DVD to MP3 (At a very high bit rate to maintain the fidelity), as players slowly become obsolete and parts scarce.
Old 12th September 2013, 13:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

Repair is possible - the regular wear and tear parts - heads, pinch rollers, idler wheels, belts etc are still very much available. I just picked up some for a set of decks I'm restoring right now. Problem is finding technicians who are willing to work on them.

Here's some eye candy - One of my tape decks in action

Last edited by greenhorn : 12th September 2013 at 13:55.
Old 14th September 2013, 14:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Slightly off topic but does any here have an old fashioned radio with jog dials and the frequency scale?
Old 17th September 2013, 12:42   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
There are multiple option, depending on how much you love the cassettes and what you want to do with them. Here is a list in decreasing order of financial outlay.

1. Get a professional cassette deck with a CD writer. Convert all the cassettes to CD

2. Get a professional cassette player, and play the cassettes till they wear out

3. Get an inexpensive cassette player connect it to a music system for better sound. Play the cassettes when you want.

4. Go to a local repair shop with all your decks. If you are lucky they will be able to source either original or replacement belts for your decks. I am sure that at least one or two players will be resurrected.

Or else you can go to a decent photo studio, those who take videos. They have facilities to convert tapes to CD/DVD. Get your collection converted to a digital media.

My wife has a collection of at least a thousand cassettes, which she hears on our Sony music system. I have been thinking of the option #1, as our CD player keeps going bad regularly.

Ultimately one has to convert all the cassette and CD/DVD to MP3 (At a very high bit rate to maintain the fidelity), as players slowly become obsolete and parts scarce.

I have a ONKYO TA-6300 3 head cassette deck with me with the belts that need replacement and somw work needed for the closed loop system which i am sure can be fixed. the head has some life and has enough juice to be extracted. Let me know if you are interested. You can google the model to get an idea of the product.
Old 17th September 2013, 12:48   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
I have a ONKYO TA-6300 3 head cassette deck with me with the belts that need replacement and somw work needed for the closed loop system which i am sure can be fixed. the head has some life and has enough juice to be extracted. Let me know if you are interested. You can google the model to get an idea of the product.
Not sure if you're addressing Aroy, or me, but I already have an AIWA 2-cassette deck at home with the same issues as yours - belts that need replacement. Head should last easily. But, the reason for not getting it repaired is that we have no interest in listening to these tapes anymore. In fact, most of us at home listen to music online now.
Old 17th September 2013, 14:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Not sure what to do with them - I am okay to give them away - but I don't know if anyone listens to these anymore. Any suggestions?
If you have time & patience then do as below. I bought 4 x 3 cardboard and did something similar with my tapes. It makes an excellent wall piece. You can also create small niches for your family photos and surround them with tapes.

What to do with a cassette collection?-cassette_tape_collection.jpg

Raab rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 19:52   #44
BHPian

Resurrecting an old thread.

I have some old Tamil, Malayalam, Hindi, English cassette tapes.

These are films, bhajans, carnatic, ghazals, rock, country, disco etc. includes Vocal and Instrumental.

Would anyone be interested to pick up. Available in Chennai immediately. Can bring it to Bengaluru, Mumbai sometime next month.

PS. I even got one of the cassette cover signed by Asha Bhonsle when I met her in a corporate function few decades back. Sadly, the ink is smudged a little.

PS 2. English ones are reserved for @Greenhorn

What to do with a cassette collection?-20230426_131445.jpg
Capri89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 20:11   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
Resurrecting an old thread.

I have some old Tamil, Malayalam, Hindi, English cassette tapes.

PS. I even got one of the cassette cover signed by Asha Bhonsle when I met her in a corporate function few decades back. Sadly, the ink is smudged a little.

PS 2. English ones are reserved for @Greenhorn
Auction them on ebay. You may end up making a killing.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks