Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2013, 03:19   #31
BHPian

Re: Wardrobe Rejig: Importing Clothes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Any review on Thomas Pink?

While at it what are some good shoe brands that you recommend?
My favorite is Aldo shoes http://www.aldoshoes.com/ for formal shoes and Eddie Bauer for hiking / outdoor gear http://www.eddiebauer.com/home.jsp
Old 16th October 2013, 04:35   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
My favorite is Aldo shoes http://www.aldoshoes.com/ for formal shoes and Eddie Bauer for hiking / outdoor gear http://www.eddiebauer.com/home.jsp
I use Aldo but somehow I feel they are too stiff on the base and the leather too. May be I should try another model
Old 16th October 2013, 04:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
I use Aldo but somehow I feel they are too stiff on the base and the leather too. May be I should try another model
You are right, but I like the design of the Aldo shoes when compared some of the other brands. They are much more understated.
Old 16th October 2013, 07:14   #34
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Any review on Thomas Pink? While at it what are some good shoe brands that you recommend?
As mentioned in my first reply post, Thomas Pink Shirts are absolutely top drawer, if a tad pricey. Very elegant and with just the right dash of spice in their design! I aspire to them but do not own any as of this moment. Lovely brand and lovely product though. The same goes for Hilditch & Key. Brooks Brothers is also wonderful but they are classic American. However I prefer Brit tailoring somehow.

Ref Shoes, in order of preference and assuming that you have a nice big budget.

1. Church's shoes are truly superb but very expensive, as are Lobbs....you wont get much change out of GBP 300,350. These are really bespoke shoes and to get a pair of John Lobbs shoes constructed for you may involve two or three fittings over a period of a few months, before you have your pair!

2. Tods are cool and classy but more casual in nature overall.....full price around GBP 200,250.

3.Compton Webb are very nice, especially their lace up ankle boots, which are classy, formal and exclusive....full price around GBP 250.

4.RM Williams boots from Australia are excellent...full price around AUD 400 odd.

5. Our Indian Louis Philippe Shoes are very nicely made. A top class formal pair will cost you about Rs 12000-14000.

6. Paul Smith shoes are cool, but could be a bit wacky.

7. Another brand of formals is JW Tricker...very classy, typical Brit. GBP 200-250.

8. Ecco shoes are superb but very pricey. They mould themselves literally to your feet and are of very light and strong construction while conforming to the 'formal' look.

9. Bugatti shoes are lovely. Again they are expensive if one buys full price abroad. Plus they are heavy and solid.

Again, personally I prefer the English 'last' to the Italian one, because the Italian shoes I find are way too pointed for my taste. I also like shoes with leather soles which are 'goodyear welted' which means that the sole is attached to the upper by means of some very strong stitching indeed.

I no longer wear formal shoes very often except to some specific occasions and when I am required to as per the 'formal' dress code, like at some clubs etc and I note that the several pairs of formal shoes that I bought several years ago are giving me excellent service indeed. Some of these shoes have lasted me over the last 9 years and look and feel like they can go on for another 7-8 years, quite comfortably.

There is a whole lot to be said for investing in high quality products, they pay you back by giving you years of excellent service. Of course, I tend to subscribe to 'classic fashion' and am certainly not 'cutting edge' and hence am not troubled at all by the quick changing trends per se.

Of course my shoes are preserved and polished and buffed and generally cared for. They are always stored in a dry cool wooden shoe cabinet with 'shoe trees' placed in them, so in my case they last.

A good pair of daily wear as well as formal use boots would be RM Williams. While they are expensive when you pay full price, they are available at select 'Factory outlets' too in Australia amd New Zealand. They only have one or two stores outside ANZ, notably in Bond Street, London and some other place in New York. They are a typical Aussie brand and are of superb quality.

There is an interesting shop in Bangalore called Shoe Shop, in Brigade Road, Mota Arcade. He gets some good export over runs at nice prices but you have to keep visiting to see a range and get a bargain. There used to be an excellent shop called Ffarna in Forum and they used to sell superb shoes. Unfortunately I think they folded.

For comfy suede shoes which have rubber/ soft PVC soles, for daily wear, I would most definitely recommend any of the following; Hush Puppies, Rockport, Marks & Spencer. You will find 'comfortable' rubber/ PVC soled formal shoes too, here, which frankly, are much easier to walk on in all sorts of conditions, dry and wet and on daily use basis. Pricing is reasonable...ranging from Rs 3500-9000.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th October 2013 at 07:28.
Old 16th October 2013, 14:39   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
I had a good experience with this online store - The Stiff Collar. http://www.thestiffcollar.com/index....it/paunch.html
Thanks for sharing, have ordered a tall fit since I am vertically gifted. Let's hope for the best !
Old 16th October 2013, 18:10   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Try Tailorman too. They are very good I do believe.
Has anyone used Tailorman? Seems like a blessing for me if they have got their stich right !
Old 16th October 2013, 18:51   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Has anyone used Tailorman? Seems like a blessing for me if they have got their stich right !
I have not used them but their intent is honest and infrastructure I am told is first class. They are promoted by 'trustworthy' people of a certain 'standing'.
Old 16th October 2013, 19:36   #38
BANNED

Here is a nice post from Charles Tyrwhitt which landed on my notifications in FB a short while back because I 'follow' their brand. Rather coincidental indeed given the substance of my post earlier today, in response to a query about inputs on 'shoes'! Wardrobe Rejig: Importing Clothes?-image2285091612.jpg

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th October 2013 at 19:37.
Old 16th October 2013, 21:49   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
You are right, but I like the design of the Aldo shoes when compared some of the other brands. They are much more understated.
Yep they have some neat designs. Esp I like my shoes a little pointed and aldo has some good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
As mentioned in my first reply post, Thomas Pink Shirts are absolutely top drawer, if a tad pricey. Very elegant and with just the right dash of spice in their design! I aspire to them but do not own any as of this moment. Lovely brand and lovely product though. The same goes for Hilditch & Key. Brooks Brothers is also wonderful but they are classic American. However I prefer Brit tailoring somehow.
Thanks shankar.balan Very detailed and informative post. I shall start to look around for the shoes.

I have planned to order a couple of CT shirts, to see how they fit me
Old 20th October 2013, 09:45   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Thanks for sharing, have ordered a tall fit since I am vertically gifted. Let's hope for the best !
Received the shirt yesterday, excellent shipping time and the fit meets expectations. Strongly recommend.
Old 20th October 2013, 16:17   #41
BHPian

Very nice thread, this will serve as a good reference in case I ever land abroad

A major issue with Indian brands for me is no matter which brand I try, the shirt always shrinks around the sleeves and I'm left with no other option but to roll up the sleeves and wear it till it lasts. A larger shirt size on the other hand, causes it to droop at the the shoulders, which makes it look even worse.
Anyone else face this issue and what can be done about this?

Also, wanted to check in case one does go for the option of getting shirts/pants stiched, which brands in India can be considered for buying the fabric?
The tailors of course are always locally popular, so nothing much can be done on that front other than to go by word of mouth.
Old 20th October 2013, 17:07   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Very nice thread, this will serve as a good reference in case I ever land abroad A major issue with Indian brands for me is no matter which brand I try, the shirt always shrinks around the sleeves and I'm left with no other option but to roll up the sleeves and wear it till it lasts. A larger shirt size on the other hand, causes it to droop at the the shoulders, which makes it look even worse. Anyone else face this issue and what can be done about this? Also, wanted to check in case one does go for the option of getting shirts/pants stiched, which brands in India can be considered for buying the fabric? The tailors of course are always locally popular, so nothing much can be done on that front other than to go by word of mouth.

I suggest that you pay a visit to your local Raymond Shop and ask to see Shirt and Trouser material. I think they are still able to offer the best selection.

Also, importantly, you will find that Raymond Shops usually have a first class tailoring service attached. They know their job and the results are usually great, as per my experience.

As an aside, here is one more sartorial tip that landed in my FB page from Charles Tyrwhitt....

Wardrobe Rejig: Importing Clothes?-image810621075.jpg
Old 20th October 2013, 19:45   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
A larger shirt size on the other hand, causes it to droop at the the shoulders, which makes it look even worse.
Anyone else face this issue and what can be done about this?

Hit the gym and work on those deltoids
Old 20th October 2013, 22:51   #44
BHPian

As I happened to be in Coimbatore last week, went down to the Thin Red Line store in Brookfields Mall, and bought the white herringbone shirt in slim fit after trying it on. Bought the 39 chest size, instead of 40 as I had intended to, online. So much for online clothes shopping, I guess.
It's of a very decent quality. Will be buying a couple more.

Anyway talking of shoes, I badly want a pair of Monk Straps, which clearly are the flavour of the season. Been using only cap-toe oxfords or lazy slip-ons all these years, but now I've fallen for these.

Wardrobe Rejig: Importing Clothes?-allenedmonds_shoes_neumora_brown_l.jpg

Any recommendations for a good pair at a reasonable price?
Old 21st October 2013, 05:02   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
As I happened to be in Coimbatore last week, went down to the Thin Red Line store in Brookfields Mall, and bought the white herringbone shirt in slim fit after trying it on. Bought the 39 chest size, instead of 40 as I had intended to, online. So much for online clothes shopping, I guess. It's of a very decent quality. Will be buying a couple more. Anyway talking of shoes, I badly want a pair of Monk Straps, which clearly are the flavour of the season. Been using only cap-toe oxfords or lazy slip-ons all these years, but now I've fallen for these. Any recommendations for a good pair at a reasonable price?

Marks and Spencer had some.
Am not sure if they are available in Coimbatore though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks