Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2006, 14:56   #61
Senior - BHPian

OT - Three cheers for the Spirit of Mumbaikars

Kind of OT but did not want to start a new thread on this:

====================================
Dear Terrorist,

Even if you are not reading this we don't care. Time and again you tried to disturb us and disrupt our life - killing innocent civilians by planting bombs in trains, buses and cars. You have tried hard to bring death and destruction, cause panic and fear and create communal disharmony but everytime you were disgustingly unsuccessful. Do you know how we pass our life in Mumbai? How much it takes for us to earn that single rupee? If you wanted to give us a shock then we are sorry to say that you failed miserably in your ulterior motives. Better look elsewere, not here.

We are not Hindus and Muslims or Gujaratis and Marathis or Punjabis and Bengaliies. Nor do we distinguish ourselves as owners or workers, govt.
employees or private employees. WE ARE MUMBAIKERS (Bombay-ites, if you like). We will not allow you to disrupt our life like this. On the last few occassions when you struck (including the 7 deadly blasts in a single day killing over 250 people and injuring 500+ in 1993), we went to work next day in full strength. This time we cleared everything within a few hours and were back to normal - the vendors placing their next order, businessmen finalizing the next deals and the office workers rushing to catch the next train. (Yes the same train you targetted)

Fathom this: Within 3 hours of the blasts, long queues of blood donating volunteers were seen outside various hospital, where most of the injured were admitted. By 12 midnight, the hospital had to issue a notification that blood banks were full and they didn't require any more blood. The next day, attendance at schools and office was close to 100%, trains & buses were packed to the brim, the crowds were back.
The city has simply dusted itself off and moved on - perhaps with greater vigour.

We are Mumbaikers and we live like brothers in times like this. So, do not dare to threaten us with your crackers. The spirit of Mumbai is very strong and can not be harmed.

Please forward this to others. U never know, by chance it may come to hands of a terrorist and he can then read this message which is specially meant for him!!!

With Love,
From the people of Mumbai (Bombay)
Old 12th July 2006, 15:06   #62
BHPian

These are simply evil acts in the name of some greater purpose. These people will never get support from deceit people anywhere in the world. My prayers are with the people... I salute the spirit ,communal unity and generocity of Mumbaikars...
Old 12th July 2006, 15:13   #63
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
Purnendu, Thank God you are safe and sound! It will take some time to recover from this shock! Feel sad for those innocent travelers who lost their lives for no fault of theirs. It is high time Government dealt sternly with those spineless terrorists who don't have the guts to fight with our Armed forces and so targetting innocent lives.
If it is proved that Kashmiri terrorists are involved, then Government should take some clue from Israel, raid the POK, flush the terrorists out and take control of POK. This is the only way to deal with these beasts.
I understand your anger, but Israel is not the right model for India. Do you want India to become like Israel, with non-stop bombings by terrorists, counter-operations by Israeli armed forces that target both terrorists and innocents (whose homes are bulldozed and lives destroyed in all respects), and then further revenge bombings by terrorists, and so on? Although I do sympathize with Israel's plight, I, for one, would never want to live in a place like Israel -- no one is safe in that country. The sad thing is that some of our political parties are drving India to that state, with their communal-minded and confrontational politics.

Let us hope that good sense prevails in our people and our reaction to these bombings is mature, balanced and directed precisely at those involved and nobody else. Invading POK would invite all kinds of problems for India internationally from US, Pakistan and maybe UN as well. It would be costly in terms of loss of international goodwill to India as a mature democracy, damage to our economy from sanctions and loss of innocent Indian lives from retaliatory terrorist strikes and possibly full-fledged war as well. It is what I would call an immature and disproportionate reaction. Instead, if we can establish involvement of POK-based terrorists, we should inform US, UN and use standard international law enforcement channels to go after those terrorists.
Old 12th July 2006, 15:28   #64
BHPian

Cheers for Mumbai and India
Despite the tragedy.. SENSEX is almost above 300 points today.
That is what is called solidity.
I can just say that this attack has just failed to make any mark to the economical capital of india.

My prays for those who died and best wishes for people who got injured.
Old 12th July 2006, 16:09   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive
Cheers for Mumbai and India
Despite the tragedy.. SENSEX is almost above 300 points today.
That is what is called solidity.
I can just say that this attack has just failed to make any mark to the economical capital of india.
nothing personal bro, but i'm just getting sick of this kinda stuff relating to the spirit of bombay and all that.
fine we have been able to move on from yesterday's serial blasts, and did witness fellow citizens helping in every way they could, but saying that yesterday's incidents have had no/little difference in a mumbaikar's life would be a rather arrogant statement, without taking into consideration the loss of families whose working members/loved ones/etc died yesterday for no fault of theirs.
you and i are fortunate that nothing really went wrong with any of us, or our loved ones, but before saying that the terrorists didnt do any serious damage and we're back to normal, please think again!!
i seriously hope that our govt. could take some serious steps in this matter without fearing the damage that they might have to face from America.
btw, was just reminded about the near blast in the rajya sabha, and boy did we keep quiet even then, its a pity!!

manson.
Old 12th July 2006, 16:12   #66
Senior - BHPian

Yes I agree with Manson, Agreed that spirit of Mumbaikars is good but the loss of so many lives can not be ignored.

May their Soul rest in peace & their family gather enough strength to cope with this loss.
Old 12th July 2006, 16:35   #67
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Manson too, though we are back to normal but it has made major difference in many lifes.. buddy 250 died and 500 injured that means 750 families has suffered...and all thanx to are Govt. bloody f*****s.
Guyz who think that it has not made and difference then just try to visit the spots you will get to know what has happened half of the things are not broadcasted on any News chanels. But still people are going back to Normal that really gud.
Old 12th July 2006, 16:36   #68
BHPian

Sorry, I am not so thrilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya
Seven blasts: many dead, many more injured!
Next day: 99% attendance at office!
That's what I call spirit!
Well done, fellow Mumbaikars!
Sorry Aditya,I am not so thrilled about the great Mumbai unity or the spirit.So many powerful bombs exploded, so many innocents lost their lives(I could very well become one of them), so many families are feeling helpless and shattered and shocked.This is the time we should show solidarity towards them,we should pray for the deads and wish for the injureds .We are scared, really scared and we should not show that there is no effect of this incident on us. One of my next door collegues expired and his family is in deep trouble. I really shiver with the thought that the same thing could have happenned to me and my family.
Sorry, if I did not want to hurt your feelings. It was just my own realisation.
Purnendu Bagchi
Old 12th July 2006, 16:40   #69
Senior - BHPian

Oh god, last night was terrible. My elder brother was posted in Mumbai before 2 months. He got shifted to Boriveli, Mumbai along with his wife and 2 yr old kid. Heard about the blast at 19.00 hrs and tried in vain to reach in all possible way till 23.30 hrs. We got a call from my brother confirming that he and his family was safe at 23.35 hrs. My parents got life after his call.

Iam somehow got relieved, but then could not resist my frustration and sympathy on seeing the SMS flowing in all channels. some message went like " Rahul, my son are u safe - mother". Could imagine on what state she would be. The numbers of deceased kept moving from 20 - 160, how horrible for the one's who dont hear from their loved one's.

I would like to understand whats the logic behind attacking public people. What do these terrorist gain out of it. Someone please explain me on this

MY SYMPATHIES FOR THE AFFECTED ONES
Old 12th July 2006, 16:57   #70
rks
BANNED

I think there has been a misunderstanding of those who praised the spirit of Mumbaikars and asserted that normalcy has been restored. This is an abstract statement about Mumbai as a whole, and not about any particular set of people, like those affected by the blasts. The fact that normalcy is rapidly being restored sends a clear message to the perpetrators of this crime that their action was in vain. If Mumbai does indeed succeed in restoring normal life quickly (especially its rail services) without any communal incidents and bandhs and curfews and other disruptions, and if the financial capital of the nation continues to function as normally and efficiently as it does, that in itself is a big blow to the goals of the criminals. It also sends a clear message to the international community and especially foreign investors that India is a stable country that cannot be brought to its knees by the actions of terrorists. Mumbai can be legitimately proud of such an achievement. Of course the agony of the victims and their families cannot be forgotten. Everything must be done to help these people and to bring the criminals to justice.

Last edited by rks : 12th July 2006 at 17:17.
Old 12th July 2006, 17:02   #71
Senior - BHPian

Check these and take a guess!

http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanhe...6020051228.asp
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1584321,0008.htm
Old 12th July 2006, 20:04   #72
BANNED

purnendubagchi, Gud to hear that you are lucky and got away pretty lightly . Im sure it will take time to heal the memories but I'm sure you will . As for the people who wern't that lucky , We can just pray for them .

As for the Govt bashing , etc ... I have a very different view which may sound very strange . I mentioned earlier that we shudn't start the usual Govt bashing but it seems it can't be avoided as we have only them to blame and accuse . As for retaliation , I ask all those who are saying we shud retaliate ... who do you hit and where do you hit and how ????? The terrorsists main aim probably was to cause communal tensions which luckily didnt happen due to the pople of Mumbai probably being smarter ( for a change ) and not letting rumours start anything . But then what about the incidents that saw Govt buses burning just a few days before this by Mumbaikers themselves ... aint that as bad as outsiders trying to cause trouble ??? What about policemen being beaten by countrymen when some Godamn actor dies in Bangalore ... what if ( I cud go on and on ) .....

As citizens what did we do then ... NOTHING !!! Or maybe teh Govt shud have started bombing Shiv Sena HQ's or the huge mobs that spread and terrorised bangalore ... Also what can a Govt do when its own people go against it just coz their relatives are hijacked while returning from Nepal ... Cudn't they sacrifcie a few relatives instead of pressurising the Govt to release a DREADED TERRORIST who had killed many of their brothers and wud kill more after his release ??? But Hell NO ... its my dad,brother,sister,wife so why the hell should I care about others .. unfortunately thats our attitude and I believe that the parliament attacks hapened coz a few of my country men wanted to get someone released so that they cud be happy with their family members ..... and that same TERRORIST cud attack and kill many more than the 200 odd hostages that got released in axchange ....

COME ON guys , its an entire vicious cycle and only hard steps can tackle situations ... but are we ready to stop making our millions and pick up arms and fight on the borders ?? i don't think so ... the army has a shortfall of officers , WHY ?? Coz we'd rather run to the corporate world and sit in AC's than get posted 6 months at Siachen !!!!

So think ..... politicians arn't the only ones to blame !!!!

Cheers
Old 12th July 2006, 20:49   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75

COME ON guys , its an entire vicious cycle and only hard steps can tackle situations ... but are we ready to stop making our millions and pick up arms and fight on the borders ?? i don't think so ... the army has a shortfall of officers , WHY ?? Coz we'd rather run to the corporate world and sit in AC's than get posted 6 months at Siachen !!!!

So think ..... politicians arn't the only ones to blame !!!!

Cheers
Khaadu, I totally understand your view point... however the fact remains that Indian army is the 3rd largest in the world, I don’t think its the number that's a problem here, its the bureaucracy that goes into weapons and logistic support upgrade for the army... so it does boil down to corrupt government officials.

I think Mumbai residents did what they could in this particular situation, and what they did is more then commendable in a society where the elected officials do not take responsibility and have not learnt from past incidents to work on improving the society. Steps are taken to improve situation only when the top notches are directly affected by an incident (build a hospital on a highway after a car accident that killed certain Politian’s son – and ignore the fact how dangerous highway driving is in general).
About the incidents that took place in Mumbai couple of days back... it was a bunch of goons that know nothing better (again they follow instructions from the politicians)... please don’t generalize the masses with them.

If you ask me what's the solution.. i will be honest and admit that I don’t have a solution but I would certainly blame it on the government who has always over promised and under delivered in India

The bottom line is... mumbai is known for fighting it out when the going gets tuff, and slowly but surely things will be back to normal. I sincerly hope/wish this madness of killing inocent people ends in India.
Old 12th July 2006, 21:24   #74
Senior - BHPian

11 railwaymen we knew have been killed in these explosions...

All were in different trains in first class compartments returning home which they thought was just another day.

Trains are running again...everything seems to be returning to normal...life goes on...

Amidst all this lets not forget those who have been lost.

I would admire the spirit...but it really doesnt matter for those who have lost their near and dear ones.

Drifter
Old 12th July 2006, 21:49   #75
Senior - BHPian

I thank God all of you are safe. I was almost in tears yesterday. One of my colleagues had a very narrow escape. The whole company was frantically searching for him. Sitting here in the US makes it seem so unreal. But in the grief and anger there are a few things to cheer about - the spirit of Mumbai remains unvanquished, and I am in the company of some very mature people. Your maturity amazes me - quite different from the reactions I have read from NRIs here. Take care mates. Cant wait to be back home.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks