Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2006, 18:21   #91
Senior - BHPian

have been busy with my new job and not logging onto tbhp often, haven't read each of the comments below either. but I would like to make one point here.

i think mumbai is more like numb and senseless, and hence any attack on mumbai does not affect it much. it is often mistaken as the braveness of the city.
Probably it is result of years of local terror, where somebody beats up and kills somebody in front of you, an still you are not supposed to say anything. "THE LIFE GOES ON" is the motto fo mumbaikars.

I am not trying to dampen the spirits of mumbaiites, and i really appreciate the way they help each other. but thre is a difference between being strong, and getting back to work no mater what.

I think it's time to react, and first step I would think of is raise ur voices against anythign you see and hear in neighbourhod. kind of "neighbourhood watch". it will eradicate many other problems as well.

but i wonder if mumbai who is so much used to bhai raj will ever be able to do it.

in all probablility some people would have noticed suspicious activities relatd to these incidents but would have kept mum. "LIFE GOES ON" you see.
Old 14th July 2006, 01:55   #92
BHPian

[quote=vivekiny2k]i think mumbai is more like numb and senseless, and hence any attack on mumbai does not affect it much. it is often mistaken as the braveness of the city.
Probably it is result of years of local terror, where somebody beats up and kills somebody in front of you, an still you are not supposed to say anything. "THE LIFE GOES ON" is the motto fo mumbaikars.

but i wonder if mumbai who is so much used to bhai raj will ever be able to do it.

Dear vivekiny2k,
First of all please read all the comments in this thread. Secondly, if the mumbaikars had been mere spectators of the blast victims there would have been more deaths than 198 which the media/govt. claims. It was with the help of the fellow citizens that the injured were carried to the hospitals of which many were saved. The local youth from adjoining areas took up the responsibility of the authorities and helped out due to which railways were moving early next morning. If we had that "Chalta hai/ Choddna yaar apne ko kya" attitude then God knows what must have happened.
Its not easy to carry a victim with missing body parts in 2-3 different bags. You need sheer guts.A person known to one of my friends was only identified from the clothes/identification he was carrying. No, not because his face was un-recogniseable, but because there was no head in the first place.
No ordinary person would have the courage and the mental strength to see & accept such hell!It was because the mumbaikars knew, what it feels to be in a crisis situation that they rose to the occasion and went overboard in trying to make others' pain lesser with whatever they could do.
So please, "LIFE GOES ON" is not the motto of mumbaikars due to the reasons you have given, but because we understand why all such acts of terror are carried out & for what reason.
Mumbai will crush out any obstacles coming in its way.
Anyways, you are entitled to your opinion. I am to mine.

az

Last edited by autozealot : 14th July 2006 at 02:01.
Old 14th July 2006, 09:41   #93
BANNED

Dear Vivekiny2k
I think all the people living in Bombay would appreciate it if you talk from the orifus in the upper half of your anatomy instead of using the lower one.
Cheers!
Old 14th July 2006, 09:48   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
i think mumbai is more like numb and senseless, and hence any attack on mumbai does not affect it much. it is often mistaken as the braveness of the city.

Dude, try losing someone in a blast of your family, have your life changed forever, and I know people like you can never get back on track...but absolutely everyone salutes Mumbai for exactly the opposite.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th July 2006 at 10:56.
Old 14th July 2006, 10:39   #95
BANNED

Vivek, What you say is also pretty true to an extent .. coz the CHALTA HAIN attitude does exist but its not only Mumbai where it exists but most of the major Indian cities where millions infact trillions of ppl live . And yes helping ppl on the day of such an incident and then forgetting them later is another common thing ( public memory is very short ) !!

Forget a common man ... we people tend to forget the people who fight for our country . Mumbaikers spirit exists coz the terrorists didnt manage creating any communal tensions which probably was their main idea but then look whathappens in Gujarat yesterday where RSS and VHP followers went on a rampage and damaged a Mosque . So in a way they did succeed in their agenda ...

Terror has no face and can strike anywhere any time .... so spirit or no spirit Life Does Go On and not only in Mumbai but anywhere !!!

So lets not turn this into a spirit vs no spirit issue coz vivek is entitled to his views and 2L8uLoose & turbo_v12 and others to theirs . Bottom line is that it was sad that so many ppl died -- !!!

Cheers
Old 14th July 2006, 11:11   #96
Senior - BHPian

Vivek, it is obvious that you have never stayed in or watched Mumbai closely. I suggest, you read some of the "first hand experiences" in this thread, or watch TV channels carefully if you are bored of reading and don't trust unless you see with your eyes.
Old 14th July 2006, 11:12   #97
Senior - BHPian

khaddu ,
i was planning on a similar signature as yours ...blasts take place in mumbai and we have film stars coming on the roads ...the same day equally devastating blasts took place in J&k and have been happening all the while ...yet no one talks about them ...
Old 14th July 2006, 12:03   #98
F50
Senior - BHPian

I just came home 45 mins before scene started. And I stay at Mahim.

You cannot compare Srinagar blasts to Mumbai blasts. Just going by casualties close to 200 dead and 714 injured you can imagine. And all this happened in 1st Class only. Its only a half a wagon and still the total figure reaches to 1000 (incl. dead + injured)
And in Srinagar, 8 killed and 40 injured, right. Its easy to plant bombs in Bombay and even easier in J&K, you never know who will be carrying a AK-47 or grenades in their over coats. What ever happens in which ever part of country is wrong and should not happen.
And I feel Mumbai getting more coverage over J&K, the reason is very simple, people who stays/have been to Bombay knows what local trains are and what it means to people. And all this happened during peak hours. I travel by 1st Class but at times I feel 2nd Class will be more empty. Amount of people there are in 1st class. Try to board a Virar Fast from even Churchgate at peak hours I'll consider you God. Imagine the blasts now. I donno about Khaadu but Satya you must be knowing this.

Anyone comparing Srinagar blasts to Bombay is absolutely Rubbish!!!
Old 14th July 2006, 12:56   #99
Senior - BHPian

An Indian life (or for that matter any human life anywhere) has the same value irrespective of whether it is a Chennai-ite, Mumbaikar or from J&K. There is no logic in distinguishing between them based on whether one place is the business centre of India while the other is (was) a mere tourist destination.

All khaadu75 and speedsatya implied was that in our sympathy with the dead/injured in Bombay, let us not forget those that lost their lives on the same day and infact keep losing on a daily basis in J&K. And this includes the defence forces whose deaths in J&K must be countless by now. They also have a family and loved ones, like the people who were unfortunate targets of terror in Mumbai.

Let us not distinguish/discriminate between Indians (that's the job of our politicians and they would not take kindly to your rendering them jobless).
Old 14th July 2006, 13:29   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F 50
You cannot compare Srinagar blasts to Mumbai blasts. Just going by casualties close to 200 dead and 714 injured you can imagine. I donno about Khaadu but Satya you must be knowing this.

Anyone comparing Srinagar blasts to Bombay is absolutely Rubbish!!!

whatever ...blasts happening anywhere is unpardonable...in srinagar less than 10 people must have died on that day ...but these have been happening on a regular basis ...so the total figure in a fortnight will definitely be more than what mumbai had in 10 years ...

what i wanted to say is why hasnt anything been mentioned abt the other blasts as well..just because most of us stay in mumbai doesnt mean that we should forget what has been happening at other places ...

we shoudl learn from israelis...one citizen is hurt and the entire army is deployed ...here even after knowing everything we are talking abt ....crap ...

all bull
Old 14th July 2006, 13:43   #101
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
what i wanted to say is why hasnt anything been mentioned abt the other blasts as well..just because most of us stay in mumbai doesnt mean that we should forget what has been happening at other places ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
...but these have been happening on a regular basis ..

You answered your own question.
Old 14th July 2006, 14:33   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
An Indian life (or for that matter any human life anywhere) has the same value irrespective of whether it is a Chennai-ite, Mumbaikar or from J&K. There is no logic in distinguishing between them based on whether one place is the business centre of India while the other is (was) a mere tourist destination.

All khaadu75 and speedsatya implied was that in our sympathy with the dead/injured in Bombay, let us not forget those that lost their lives on the same day and infact keep losing on a daily basis in J&K. And this includes the defence forces whose deaths in J&K must be countless by now. They also have a family and loved ones, like the people who were unfortunate targets of terror in Mumbai.

Let us not distinguish/discriminate between Indians (that's the job of our politicians and they would not take kindly to your rendering them jobless).
completely with SB...we are not having a comparison here, an Indian life has the same value everywhere. I'm not sure what the statistics would be if we add the CONTINUOUS & DAILY number of deaths in J&K over the past ten, fifteen years. Yes, the magnitude was frightening in Mumbai.

The way the common man rallied around was also commendable......we have seen the same last year in Delhi on the 29th of October and we have also seen Varanasi rally around and defeat miscreants who wanted to spark off a communal carnage. In crisis, I think people irrespective of whether they are in Mumbai or elsewhere show the same bonding traits or, at least they would be expected to. That is what makes us Indians........whether we are Mumbaikars or Delhiites or Bangaloreans or Chennaiites or....whoever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose
I think all the people living in Bombay would appreciate it if you talk from the orifus in the upper half of your anatomy instead of using the lower one
Easy buddy, you are going way over aren't you?

Last edited by suman : 14th July 2006 at 14:42.
Old 14th July 2006, 16:47   #103
Team-BHP Support

Lives of the people of Jammu & Kashmir are just as precious as lives of the people of Mumbai. I think the reason we pay more attention to the Mumbai blasts is because a huge number of our members, most of them active participators on this forum, and their families live in Mumbai. Not too many members live in J & K.
Old 14th July 2006, 17:03   #104
BHPian

Its Human life lost and we should not differentiate.

Its not only Mumbai but world over its frustration let loose.

Now in Bahrain and Seeing the first page of the news makes me wonder what kind of world is this and the amount of hatred bubbling in "some" people to create massacres of this kind.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story...&IssueID=29116

i believe its revelation time getting closer.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 14th July 2006 at 17:06.
Old 14th July 2006, 17:18   #105
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman

Easy buddy, you are going way over aren't you?
Nope!
IMO naturally!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks