Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2008, 01:11   #46
BHPian

What is it that we men have this facination about cars

Just the way women have a "thing" about shopping, what is it that we men have this "rush" with cars. While driving, we can overlook a hot looking chick (rarely but possible) but can we miss a ferrari on the road, No ways!!!
Talk about dropping wifey to work, parlour, etc etc places and we moan & fret but talk about driving down alone on the highway to catch up with buddies, vroommm!!! the revs are high and the bass is low.

So what is it that we men ( and by no means am i sounding chauvinistic here) have this, attachment, the bond with carz. Is it the DNA, is it the hormones or is it just an oomph factor.
Old 8th February 2009, 13:13   #47
Senior - BHPian

Do cars make you cry??

The sound of a snarling V8 echoing through the dark bowels of the night...or the whistle of a turbo at full revs..the visual drama,the aggression of a Murcielago or the achingly beautiful lines of the Alfa 8C...there are many amongst us wanting to break free from boredom,frustration and a boring life to be where we have always wanted to be...amongst our dream machines..behind the wheel of an Aston thrashing it through the Alps...take a fast car and....ESCAPE...do you believe that cars can be 'tear-jerkingly beautiful & passionate machines'??? I do...and sometimes it makes a cry..

You got a fast car
But is it fast enough so we can fly away
We gotta make a decision
We leave tonight or live and die this way

I remember we were driving driving in your car
The speed so fast I felt like I was drunk
City lights lay out before us
And your arm felt nice wrapped 'round my shoulder
And I had a feeling that I belonged
And I had a feeling I could be someone, be someone, be someone

Fast Car by Tracy Chapman.
Old 9th October 2009, 17:29   #48
Senior - BHPian

Should get my DNA checked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
The magazines i buy in a year are bigger than my pile of Engineering books for two years.
Here I am .... facing an ultimatum = get rid of the issues of Overdrive & Autocar and all other books on cars (which includes the manuals of the bikes and cars which I owned!) - feeling glum. Couldn't convince anyone that these are worth a fortune (one part of fortune already thrown away when the entire Indian Auto Journal collection from 1989-1992 and Auto India from 1993-1999 was unceremoniously dumped with the raddiwallah) - and I come across your post. I am determined now, I am not giving up the effort of the last 12 years so easily.

And, AyAn! - yes - the song of Tracy indeed does make me go sloppy - it is one of my favourites and even my sister used to enjoy it, saying that it was probably written with people like me in mind!

Just like the ad in which Aamir (I think) is thinking aloud about purchasing a ticket to an unknown station, I too feel like tanking up and travel on an unknown road till I run out of fuel......
Old 13th October 2009, 11:58   #49

I must say that this thread seems to have touched all of our heart and souls here very deeply. Including mine !

I, myself, cannot even remember when I started liking cars. I guess it just came hard-coded in my genes. My dad used to tell me that when i was small i used to wake up in the middle of the night and just go to my main road facing balcony and stare at the road looking out for cars (I still do that). Staying at a junction from where all of the northbound and southbound traffic in Mumbai passes helped my cause even more.

I agree with most of you that guys have a very deep connection with cars that cannot be explained in words. I was one of the first to hit the Mumbai-Pune expressway when it opened up. Also, one of the lucky few to have zipped across the Bandra Worli sealink [though not in my car]. I stay at Prabhadevi and commute to Malad and back. But despite this, I travel on the sealink everyday just to satisfy my "Need for Speed". That drive also helps me get into "office-mode" while going to office and forget office when driving back.

- Shiv
Old 9th April 2010, 19:36   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman View Post
I think cars are to men what jewellery is to women !!
U just cant explain it...
This is a Nice one
Old 25th October 2011, 13:49   #51
Senior - BHPian

Re: What is it about CARS?

Cars redifined-

C - Company-Provides you Company when in need at times good and bad
A - ART- They are a pure science bundled and delivered as a work of Art
R - Respect-They command and give back Respect in more ways than one
S - Space-Ultimate feeling of being in your personal Space when in them

Come to think of it cars have truly provided the ultimate sense of freedom of mobility in the most comfortable and personalized manner!
Three cheers to CARS!
Old 25th October 2011, 19:05   #52
BHPian

Everybody has said everything that has to be said about liking/loving cars. Why does one like/love cars- Dammit I just like cars. No explanations- rather I don't have one & don't feel I need to give one.
Though I agree with many that they definitely give you a natural high.
Old 27th October 2011, 10:33   #53
BHPian

No. I never had the toys when I was young and in fact learned to drive very late. But with the limited experience what I feel is this:

A (your) CAR becomes an extension of yourself. It becomes your expression.

You express self, more or less your nature while driving.
Old 27th October 2011, 13:03   #54
BHPian

Well for one I can help with the below
all Males (generally) love their cars for the below reasons.
(1) does not complain on long drives and carries your stuff without fuss
(2) accommodates your friends and buddy - no complaint and does not go blah blah blah;;
(3) regular maintainance does not expect preium petrol/diesel; does not expect to be given special gifts for the anniversary/ special days (needless as we keep pampering it)
(4) keeps quite and gives the best company when required
(5) responds to your moods when driving(slow fast rash)
(6) plays your fav music no shuffling of channels)
(7) you are the master and it is clear

Cheers
Prasad
Ps: I took my wifey's permission to add this post
Old 5th November 2012, 14:18   #55
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely cars are a man's best friend (for a non living object). They are like your first wife and yes the checks all the boxes and more of the previous post. I keep telling my wifi that she is sitting on her 'sautan's lap

Quote:
(1) does not complain on long drives and carries your stuff without fuss - CHECK
(2) accommodates your friends and buddy - no complaint and does not go blah blah blah;; - CHECK
(3) regular maintainance does not expect preium petrol/diesel; does not expect to be given special gifts for the anniversary/ special days (needless as we keep pampering it) - CHECK
(4) keeps quite and gives the best company when required - CHECK
(5) responds to your moods when driving(slow fast rash) - CHECK
(6) plays your fav music no shuffling of channels) - CHECK
(7) you are the master and it is clear -CHECK
also add to that

8. You can close all the windows and doors and shout at some one without getting a reaction (remember the Passat ad?)
9. You can enjoy being in the rain without getting drenched.
10. You can work from the car (office) and still get the work done when not moving around.

Last edited by girishglg : 5th November 2012 at 14:21.
Old 6th November 2012, 12:25   #56
BHPian

I really dont know what is it about cars , but it always brings a smile on your face on long drives. One never gets enough out of it.

To realize it in best possbile way , do this when you enter your car

1. Get in your car

2. hold the steering and imagine that you are in a highspeed chase trying
catch a villan.

3. Imitate all the noises like , grrrrrrrr , sreeeeech ,!! bang , thud,! try to
do a super hero role play . (you get my point)

4. look at your face in the mirror , you would be smiling without your own
knowledge
Old 28th June 2014, 14:19   #57
BHPian

What is it about CARS?

Just found this very interesting - 10 Signs that you are madly in Love with your Car

P.S - Even I agree with all the Signs.
Old 3rd June 2016, 22:21   #58
BHPian

A Philosopher basking in the Shadow of the Driver!

[Mods- Please move the thread to the appropriate section]

While it is unambiguous to state that all the Tbhp members are Driving Enthusiasts, I am just curious as to why we are so fascinated to this particular activity.

Driving particularly entices me into a state of Euphoria.

Every time I take the wheel, I start drifting into a different world. Driving a Vehicle seems to me an allegorical representation of Life .

You are the driver of your own destiny. You will be influenced by the obstacles in your path, the vehicles you come across and your fellow travellers and still you persist in carrying on with your journey.

At times, you speed up the Car to be thrilled and at times, you proceed at snail pace but the journey never stops till you reach your destiny.

You learn to let go of the surroundings regardless of their beauty and harmony as you drive into the unknown.

As I look out of the window, the back and forth motion invokes a touch of Time Travel ; into the Past to relive some memories & into the Future to grapple the imminence..

The prospect of controlling a Vehicle that is ten or hundred times heavier with a couple of contraptions gives me an extra dose of kick.

Controlling a vehicle gives me a sense of ego boost as it seems there is at least someone who listens to my exact orders.

For me, Travelling is just an excuse to Drive ..

I am just curious to know what other members feel while they drive ?
What are the thoughts that travel through your mind as you take the wheel to drive ?

Last edited by poised2drive : 3rd June 2016 at 22:22.
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks