Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2004, 02:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

What is it about CARS?

I have probably asked myself this question the most, more than i have ever wondered about the Theory of Relativity or if we can probably ever time travel (they probably are related you know), but after 20 years i still can't figure it out.
What is it about CARS that drives us crazy. When a bunch of guys, fanatical community like ours spend hours everyday, trying to read up more or enlighten other people with what they already know. To have discussions for hours at a stretch. these same people who could make sense discussing cars when they are piss drunk, and rather not talk about their little dark secret they only reveal a couple of drinks down. A passion not limited to small part of the world, with communities such as ours, thriving in almost every country out there. Where we devote out entire lives to achieveing any of this, at whatever price we have to pay. I would sell myself currently to get to drive even a Carrera 2.
The more i try to remember, all i can recall is that the majority of my toys were dinky cars or RC cars, or friction cars. The magazines i buy in a year are bigger than my pile of Engineering books for two years. What is it about them that makes emotionally attached to these machines? I know i would brood for days, when my cars would get scratched.
I have been called materialistic, one track minded, and denounced crazy, by all who don't share the same love. You know it's not the same when cars are all you think about, even though planes would probably have a bigger amazement-factor, since they get themselves off the ground (so do DTM cars at Le Mans, at say 200 mph) All i want to know is what makes us different? I couldn't figure it out all this while, and didn't bother lest i should get disappointed. You know what they say about your dream car right?
Pool in guys, would love to know what you guys think.

ported_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2004, 03:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, i don't think about it too much, coz i know there's no light at the end of this tunnel. Just enjoy your cars the way you want to.

I can't say i like anything on wheels since i don't like riding bikes. I can't say i'd drive anything with a steering wheel, since i hate the idea of riding a speed boat.

That, is what makes the car so unique, it's not just what it looks like, it's all about how it makes you feel when you drive them.

Diff people like diff types of cars, while most would drool over a 1950's Vintage, i probably wouldn't even notice it if it passed by. It's just not the kind of car i look up to.

I'm more interested in those whacky, poweful, light weight, great handling cars that make each n every drive even more exciting. "How a car looks", is nowhere as important to me as "how a car goes".

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2004, 06:46   #3
BHPian

For me cars is every thing and this craze has rubbed on to my 1half yr old son the boy gets up in the morning and has to watch 2fast2furious when he eats breakfast or he wont eat and the same thing repeats in the night before he sleeps all his toys and i mean all his toys are only cars he gets so excited with the firing of a car mostly racing cars and in saudi there are camaros mustangs and all. Guys like us are a breed all by itself like me when ever I have some time on my hands im on the net checking out cars and the latest modifications its in ur blood simple as that like one time I was so excited with my new muffler that I had imported that I used to keep it in my bedroom next to my bed my wife thought I had gone mad the joy and happiness I get when im with my car is heavenly I get a peace of mind when I work on my car its like out of this world so there it is ask anybody who are really into cars they will have the same views like I have man the car I think
is the greatest thing man has developed CARS RULE
Old 23rd October 2004, 14:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is one thing i've been wondering....... how does one get addicted to cars....... usually its by birth, but, what does a small kid see abt a car?? What is it that makes it sooo irresistable! Beats me. Like ported head says, planes should have more amazement factor, yet, a few kids( and ppl like us) are in awe of cars more than a plane.....

Whats it abt cars??..... Beats me completely. Never have been able to figure it out.
Old 23rd October 2004, 14:25   #5
Team-BHP Support

Well, it can't be heredity as no one else in my family tree likes these darned wheeled wonders!

I don't bother figuring it out...I just enjoy it and feel sorry for others who just can't understand what the fuss is about!

Rt
Old 23rd October 2004, 15:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

I guess the thing is , when we guys drive a car for the first time the feeling of being in absolute and total control all alone is a high that we never climb down from !!

guess it starts from there ..so we are bound to be crazy about the car that gives us this feeling .

cheers
Old 23rd October 2004, 19:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

yes n_c,

that feeling of freedom n total control are somethings that i will never ever forget n thts probably the reason why we are hooked to cars like we are. i get to enjoy this freedom everyday. N this sort of enjoyment only a car can bring.
Old 23rd October 2004, 19:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, but it's much more than just driving a car isn't it? The way we strain our neck to get every bit of a glimpse when something rare passes by, or just something that we adore. But it still remains a pretty weird concept, getting hooked to something that is fundamentally non-living. Inspite of that it rewards us with an addictive exhaust note, or a soothing engine noise, slick gearshifts and a taut steering feel, by gripping on to the road and minimal body roll. How you simply don't need a flashy car, or a really big engine or mega alloys, but even the most simplest of the ideas can leave you with a pleasant feeling for days, or even when you just think about. Something like the Citroen 2CV.
I do feel sorry for those who don't feel the same way we do, but it's still a very interesting concept. i love that feeling when i get up everyday, knowing that i will learn something new about cars today, inspite of being enrolled in a very monotonous engineering course. The fact that no matter how tired i am at the end of the day, i still have the energy to scan a few websites or finish that last article in the mag. Fantastic stuff i say.
Old 24th October 2004, 22:43   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As Albert Einstein said once, "How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love??"

Just love cars. They are a celebration of mankind...and speed!

GTO
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2004, 22:52   #10
BHPian

Maybe it's in the blood. People who love cars usually start from an early age.....I guess you dont grow up and then say one fine day.....Aah! I think I'll start loving cars.....it's a passion that's with you through your life. And something which guys will never be tired of. But like Shan2nu said, to each his own. I dont know much about bikes, though I can admire a beautiful design when I see one. Cars though........its a beautiful life.
Old 11th January 2006, 11:34   #11
BHPian

Old topic, but deserves a bump...
I think its got to do a lot with tradition and genes. Mankind has always loved healthy horses and that ones society status used to be associated with the type of horses he had and their numbers. There used to be chariots, which were hauled by 10-20 horses, and these were associated with wealth and speed. We are always fascinated by things which more faster than our capability to move from one place to another and its not just a matter of transportation, its the way in which we move from one place to another that’s important.
Ever since I was a kid I had fancy dinky cars for toys. I love cars for their looks, power and the sound they make, not to mention the crazy speeds and their racing capabilities. Whenever I drive my car I always think, "can my car beat his" ....
Old 11th January 2006, 11:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Good to see that the topic has been revived. In the 27 years of my life I have found an explaination to most of things thats have happened in my life but somehow till date I myself dont know why I'm in love with cars so much. Cars more than just a machine to me and all the like minded people on this forum. A car cheers me up in times when I am depressed or feeling low. The thought of me driving my own Ferrari F355 just pumps me up anytime everytime.

A recent example is from yesterday when I went to see the F430. I was staring at the car like kids stares at his favourite toy in the toy shop or when its first love.

Its simply a phenomenon I cant exlpain
Old 11th January 2006, 13:10   #13
BHPian

Boys=Cars
This is one equation no genius on this/any other planet would ever be able to solve... Ever since I was a kid I had this passion for dinky cars, probably at that time they felt big enough to be driven in!! I remember pestering my dad to buy me just every time I visited any shop housing them...Infact I still have one of my most cherished dinky F355 that was shipped right from Hong Kong that time ... its now doesn’t run on wheels. Well that’s a different story! I guess I'm getting a little nostalgic...but if you are still with me...then please bear me for a little while...Initially both my parents thought I was partly retarded ...moreover act like one too especially if my mind registered the word CAR form anywhere...All these years I guess they kinda figured that 'curing' me was a distant possibility. So they have joined the gang! What I mean to say is initially if I spotted an exotic even when I'm driving I would literally jump out of my seat completely forgetting that I'm at the wheel!! Now things have changed...whenever an exotic passes by I just pass a glance and my dad will do the rest (read: Tell me what model,reg no. etc etc).I can’t even remember the number of times I’ve been caught by the cops for jumping signals just to catch a glimpse of an exotic. Completely satisfied I would come back to the cop and happily pay the fine. Never would they have seen someone so willingly ready to pay fines its amusing to see the astonishment on their faces!
But to date be it an old generation Mercedes (read W126’s) to the first time I saw my dream car (read: E60 M5) I gaping at them with my mouth wide opened as if a UFO landed in my kitchen sink!
Boy!! This “CAR” phenomenon can never be explained. Sorry!!

Last edited by comfortablywacky : 11th January 2006 at 13:12.
Old 11th January 2006, 16:17   #14
BHPian

Well you guys can see it in retrospect but I am reliving my life through my 3yr old son! This guy is so car crazy that his mom is actually thinking of a career in cars for him . I for one can't really explain why he would leave a nice game for a 100 bucks VW New Beetle!

Last edited by mohit : 11th January 2006 at 16:18.
Old 11th January 2006, 17:17   #15
BHPian

well i dont know why i love cars so much but i m very attached to them everytime i hear a nice exhaust note my attention automatically shifts to that car and i feel very happy when i see a rare car or a exotic.When my friends are busy watchin chicks i m busy watchin cars

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks